Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

quote:

He had a few friends but they all had a falling out the first year of grade school.

Huh

Midnight Voyager posted:

Are we really going to do that thing where we question and argue the validity of every single post -again-?

I think this might be a too much hyperbole. I like playing detective for these longer, oh-so-perfect posts that just so happen to reign in 40k "karma"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Midnight Voyager posted:

Are we really going to do that thing where we question and argue the validity of every single post -again-?

Just the ones that look really made up. :getin:

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider
It's a bit on the nose, but real or fake, it's not outside the realm of possibility. :spooky: Happy Halloween!!!!! :spooky:

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Midnight Voyager posted:

When did we stop?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I didn’t read that incel post but I assume the consensus of replies is “look, you gotta kill your son”

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Pirate Radar posted:

I didn’t read that incel post but I assume the consensus of replies is “look, you gotta kill your son”

Yeah my gut reaction was "euthanize the son"

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Preferred phrase is late term abortion.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
How about posts so mundane that there's no reason to care if they're fake?

My [24M] girlfriend [22F] of 2 years doesn't let me eat butter that has expired. I have tried to convince her that it is okay to eat, but she thinks that it's disgusting

quote:

So, my relationship with my girlfriend is fantastic. She is the perfect partner. She is cozy, she is there for me when i need her the most, she is always supportive of me, and the sex is great. There is however this one thing: She doesnt want me to eat expired butter.

There was this one afternoon when I came home and sat on the toilet, when she suddenly screamed out "EEEEWWW!!, what the gently caress [myName]!!!" Thinking that is was something awful that had happened, i rushed out and asked her what was wrong. She then started to make this big tirade about how nasty I was about eating expired butter and started to try to convince me to realize how disgusting it was. Problem is, I do not think it is disgusting, and it is perfectly fine to eat butter that has expired. Its not like I eat expired chicken, cheese, fish etc. It is only butter. I am utterly shocked to how she reacted about the whole situation, and havent talked to her since this event happened. What should i do?

TL;DR Girlfriend doesn't want me to eat expired butter, which I currently do, and think its totaly fine.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
The thing about that post is less about the son and more about the parents reaction to me. The tone and steps and actions are definitely what I can see a rational fairly normal parent like my mom doing in that situation, where she might not have been quite so personally aware of that... Subculture or movement or whatever you want to call it. That's the part that strikes me as more sincere about it. I say this less out of argument then that I just thought it was kind of interesting.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This is the origin story of that guy in Silence of the Lambs who throws his semen at jodie foster

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
As for kid names chat, a friend of my ex bf's once said he thought Tylenol was a fantastic, beautiful girl name.

Theodore is better than loving Tylenol.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

empty sea posted:

As for kid names chat, a friend of my ex bf's once said he thought Tylenol was a fantastic, beautiful girl name.

Theodore is better than loving Tylenol.

Yeah, that's rife for ridicule. I can just hear the playground taunts, "you're a backwards, lonely T."

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Haifisch posted:

How about posts so mundane that there's no reason to care if they're fake?

My [24M] girlfriend [22F] of 2 years doesn't let me eat butter that has expired. I have tried to convince her that it is okay to eat, but she thinks that it's disgusting

How horrible to have to buy butter slightly more often.

Hint: use more butter its delicious

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Food expiration dates in the US are usually sell-by dates to reduce probability of lawsuits

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

number 1 snake fan posted:

Food expiration dates in the US are usually sell-by dates to reduce probability of lawsuits

Yeah this.

Butter lasts a long drat time lol at worrying about the expiration date.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Lol at the idea of not detecting rancid butter, I’m pretty sure anyone with functioning olfactory senses literally cannot make that mistake.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think in high school hom-ec they should expose you to different kinds of bad food so you know that what you've got is probably fine.

I don't even know what rancid is.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah this.

Butter lasts a long drat time lol at worrying about the expiration date.

Keeping a stick of butter at room temp is a game changer

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fallom posted:

Keeping a stick of butter at room temp is a game changer

Yeah that’s how it was when I was growing up. I just don’t use enough butter to justify it at this point

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

QuarkJets posted:

This is the origin story of that guy in Silence of the Lambs who throws his semen at jodie foster

It’s also gonna end up being the origin story of this guy who throws his semen at someone.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

who takes a stick of butter out then just leaves it sitting around, that's like opening a soda can and only drinking half

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

who takes a stick of butter out then just leaves it sitting around, that's like opening a soda can and only drinking half

that analogy makes no sense unless you really like flat soda

butter spreads way more easily when it's room temperature why do i have to explain this

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

do you eat, like, a quarter of a snickers bar at a time too

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Found the butterdogs guy :btroll:

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

big dyke energy posted:

I guess if my boyfriend took me to a store and told me he was going to get me an outfit, but all of the outfits had been worn by his exes, that would be a little more of an apt comparison.

I don't think that this situation is plausible.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

do you eat, like, a quarter of a snickers bar at a time too

so you're saying that you only eat butter by the stick?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
There's almost nothing in a normal human diet that will go bad without there being obvious signs that it's gone bad. I don't know what else to say about that. People who care about printed expiration dates are loving weird.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Boyfriend (32) and I (F 29) fought because I didn't straighten my hair or do my makeup for his uncle's funeral.

So today my boyfriend and I went to his uncle's funeral. I took a shower early and he just seemed extra crabby this morning which I'm not sure if it's due to us going to his uncle's funeral or not. He wasn't really acting broken up or sad about it a few days prior, seemed in a great mood last night. So I just assumed it was that. I ate some leftovers real quick because of time. I also grabbed a piece of candy and he snapped at me to stop eating candy because i "have a problem". I'm 125lbs at 5'5 and go to the gym 4-5 times a week but ok...

Anyways we are nearly ready to go. I wear some nice presentable looking clothes. Before we go, he asks me in a very annoyed way if I could straighten my hair. I felt a little hurt because my hair is naturally wavy yes, but I thought I looked nice. I figured I'd do a low matinence natural look. I didn't really react well to it and said whats wrong with my natural hair this time? He gets angrier and says I need to put more effort because it was a funeral. And because I sometimes straightened my hair and did my make up when we are going out to events or parties, it was offensive to not do it for the funeral. At this point I get more hurt and maybe overreact a bit and tell him it seems like he's ashamed and actually hates my natural hair.

I also pointed out I wasn't wearing makeup, should I be doing that too? Was the issue being that I wasn't looking pretty enough? I did have eyelash extensions, which last about a month so I figured I looked good enough. He then gets angrier and says I SHOULD put on makeup but he didn't notice until I told him I wasn't wearing any!

He just keeps going on about the issue here is that I didn't put enough effort for the funeral. I thought I looked fine.. I dressed nice and I thought I had a modest natural look. He says all I did was just put on clothes and call it good.

Later we are arguing in the car and he goes "sorry but yes your natural hair DOES look lazy" so I'm more hurt because I just feel like I embarrassed him at this point. He reacts to me crying and being hurt as "making it about me". Yes I got offended and didn't react well at first, but I just felt so hurt. He then starts going off that he doesn't want us to be a couple that gets too comfortable and "stops trying". I go to the gym all the time, I'm not getting fat. Yes I don't look my best every day and I have been straightening my hair less to let it recover from a damage from a dye job. He pointed out when we first started dating a year and a half ago I used to straighten it all the time, but I pointed out I do it less because of the damage.

I don't know what to make of it. It's after the funeral and things are tense. I don't know if I'm being selfish because he really is making me feel like I was. Can I get some opinions on this guys? I know I may be biased to my own feelings. It's just the first time he's gotten weird about my grooming and appearance. I told him it was really controlling. I just don't know what to make of this.

Tl;dr boyfriend and I fought because I didn't straighten my hair or do my makeup even though he didn't even notice I wasn't wearing makeup until I told him. Says I don't put effort for important things because I did my hair and makeup for other events in the past. All my explanations above were not good enough, he just kept doubling down and says it's offensive I don't try. Seemed to reveal that this is an issue he has with me in general but it finally came out at the funeral.

Funnily enough, other women I saw at the funeral were dressed casual and low-maintenance.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

someone wrote a copypasta from the perspective of the incel son with redditor dad:

My father is a libtard, and I feel like there's nothing I can do to prevent him from becoming an NPC

My father is a libtard, and I’m afraid he will become an NPC.

​My father, the man who raised me, is a horrible libtard and possibly an NPC. He seemed better when I was young, like a true chad, but as I got older, I realized more and more that he was becoming a libtard.

​My dad and I would argue often. It started off with my showing him my favorite YouTube personalities. I would show him videos of atheists, skeptics and many others. Sometimes the videos would include libtards being owned. Unfortunately, he did not agree with me that said owns were epic. In fact, he would often take the side of the feminazis! I was appalled, but as he was from an older generation, I simply assumed that he was confused. Perhaps my mom (a Stacey if ever there was one) had brainwashed him with her pussy pass. She had been through multiple men, and I suspect she even dated negroids and other undesirables. She must have been the source of these horrible liberal delusions my father was having.

​All that changed last week.

​Rewinding a bit, I also have a sister. She used to be nice, but then she became a Stacey just like my mom. She started using whore pills and, to my shock, dating a black boy! As you might have guessed, I also hate black people, so this was a terrible shock to me. One day while I was digging through her panty drawer hoping to find some used ones to sniff. To my horror, I discovered an empty condom wrapper!

Not only was she dating a black man, but she was loving him too! My first thought was: what would Donald Trump do? You see, I love Donald Trump so much that my MAGA hat is the only thing in my room that I never used to catch my semen following my many hours-long hentai viewing sessions.

​Thinking about my President, I decided to confront this vile subhuman that my sister was dating. I put on my Ahegao hoodie and my best pair of fingerless gloves. I knew this might come to blows. I walked up to him and said, calmly, “are you loving my sister?” He replied “I’m sorry, but I’d rather not say. Your sister is very important to me and I respect her privacy very much. I truly hope you can understand, because you’re important to me as her brother and I would like to have the very best relationship with you.” The only thing I could mutter in response was “nani???” before I began throwing punches.

​This guy is huge. He’s clean, handsome and powerful. He parried all of my blows like they were nothing. At some point during the brawl, he knocked the trilby off my head and onto the floor, and I accidentally stepped on it, ruining it. At this point, the rage started welling up inside me so I reached for my katana to finish the fight like a true samurai. I felt the spirit of Naruto fill me with courage, and just as I was about to take a swing, my dad walks in. I thought he would have my back, but to my shock, he took the side of my daughter’s buck! I was appalled. In that instant, I dropped my katana. I was defeated. I knew my father, the man who raised me, was an NPC!

​Soon after that, he told me to leave and I was only too happy to do so. I had had enough of this house and the libtards in it. I went back the next day to grab my laptop, as it contained by loli collection and my erotic Jordan Peterson lobster hentai fan fiction (I’m still working on it so please don’t ask to read it). My father would not let me collect my things. I looked him in this eyes and said “I have no senpai” before leaving. Within the hour I had rented an apartment with a friend despite having no job, no money, no possessions, never bathing, and having no friends. I texted my father and asked him to return my gaming supplies. My Skyrim waifu is now the closest thing I have to family.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

One of my (25F) coworker bought me a bracelet from Tiffany’s as an early birthday gift. I didn’t accept it and now he (45 M) is being strange.

My coworker found out that my birthday is coming up and he decided to buy me a a bracelet.

I was kind of shocked because although we are work friends, we aren’t besties. He put it in my desk and left a note that said “Happy Birthday! You deserve it.” I pulled him aside to thank him for the gift (and to also not call attention to it) and told him that although it’s beautiful I can’t accept it. He asked why and I said it’s just too expensive and I don’t feel comfortable accepting it.

He told me to keep it and said he wouldn’t accept that answer. So before I left work, I left it on his desk when he wasn’t looking and left.

The next day he pulled me aside and asked why I accepted gifts from other coworkers but not him. I explained to him that it was because usually those gifts cost less than $10 bucks.

Later that day he sent me a long-winded email that he was deeply offended by my behavior and that he just wanted to be nice and that I deserved it. He wrote that the bracelet was a drop in the bucket and not a big deal for him financially speaking.

I told him it wasn’t personal and that I would deny a gift like that from anyone unless it was from my husband or a family member.

The following day he apologized to me and brought me coffee and a muffin. I told him it was no big deal and accepted the coffee and muffin (even though I didn’t want to.)

That night he started texting me which was strange because he never texts me at night. He said he ended up giving the bracelet to his wife and that she loved it.

I was confused as to why he was telling me this information and wasn’t exactly sure how to respond so I just said “I’m glad it found a home!” He texted me and said it “but it would’ve looked great on your chocolate skin.”

At this point I stopped responding because I felt uncomfortable. I began ignoring him at work, too, and began working from home more often.

Fast forward to the following week. I bumped into him while I was with my husband at the grocery store. He invited both of us over for dinner, and my husband accepted. I plan on getting hit with a “stomach bug” that night so we don’t have to go.

He sent me an text saying that “we needed to talk” but I haven’t responded.

What do I do? Should I continue to ignore him and hope that he gets the point? I feel kind of uncomfortable and I’m not sure how to proceed.

TD;LR my (26F) coworker (45M) bought me an expensive bracelet and I turned it down, now he’s being strange and clingy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Taima posted:

There's almost nothing in a normal human diet that will go bad without there being obvious signs that it's gone bad. I don't know what else to say about that. People who care about printed expiration dates are loving weird.

Various meats have this neat little transition period where it doesn't really look or smell rotten but is going to significantly increase your risk of food poisoning, for instance when chicken starts to feel slippery it definitely needs to be thrown away but by that point it doesn't necessarily look or smell rotten

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Boyfriend (32) and I (F 29) fought because I didn't straighten my hair or do my makeup for his uncle's funeral.

So today my boyfriend and I went to his uncle's funeral. I took a shower early and he just seemed extra crabby this morning which I'm not sure if it's due to us going to his uncle's funeral or not. He wasn't really acting broken up or sad about it a few days prior, seemed in a great mood last night. So I just assumed it was that. I ate some leftovers real quick because of time. I also grabbed a piece of candy and he snapped at me to stop eating candy because i "have a problem". I'm 125lbs at 5'5 and go to the gym 4-5 times a week but ok...

Anyways we are nearly ready to go. I wear some nice presentable looking clothes. Before we go, he asks me in a very annoyed way if I could straighten my hair. I felt a little hurt because my hair is naturally wavy yes, but I thought I looked nice. I figured I'd do a low matinence natural look. I didn't really react well to it and said whats wrong with my natural hair this time? He gets angrier and says I need to put more effort because it was a funeral. And because I sometimes straightened my hair and did my make up when we are going out to events or parties, it was offensive to not do it for the funeral. At this point I get more hurt and maybe overreact a bit and tell him it seems like he's ashamed and actually hates my natural hair.

I also pointed out I wasn't wearing makeup, should I be doing that too? Was the issue being that I wasn't looking pretty enough? I did have eyelash extensions, which last about a month so I figured I looked good enough. He then gets angrier and says I SHOULD put on makeup but he didn't notice until I told him I wasn't wearing any!

He just keeps going on about the issue here is that I didn't put enough effort for the funeral. I thought I looked fine.. I dressed nice and I thought I had a modest natural look. He says all I did was just put on clothes and call it good.

Later we are arguing in the car and he goes "sorry but yes your natural hair DOES look lazy" so I'm more hurt because I just feel like I embarrassed him at this point. He reacts to me crying and being hurt as "making it about me". Yes I got offended and didn't react well at first, but I just felt so hurt. He then starts going off that he doesn't want us to be a couple that gets too comfortable and "stops trying". I go to the gym all the time, I'm not getting fat. Yes I don't look my best every day and I have been straightening my hair less to let it recover from a damage from a dye job. He pointed out when we first started dating a year and a half ago I used to straighten it all the time, but I pointed out I do it less because of the damage.

I don't know what to make of it. It's after the funeral and things are tense. I don't know if I'm being selfish because he really is making me feel like I was. Can I get some opinions on this guys? I know I may be biased to my own feelings. It's just the first time he's gotten weird about my grooming and appearance. I told him it was really controlling. I just don't know what to make of this.

Tl;dr boyfriend and I fought because I didn't straighten my hair or do my makeup even though he didn't even notice I wasn't wearing makeup until I told him. Says I don't put effort for important things because I did my hair and makeup for other events in the past. All my explanations above were not good enough, he just kept doubling down and says it's offensive I don't try. Seemed to reveal that this is an issue he has with me in general but it finally came out at the funeral.

Funnily enough, other women I saw at the funeral were dressed casual and low-maintenance.

Dude sounds dumb, she should leave him

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My [28M] Girlfriend [26F] of almost two years went on a terrible racist rant while drunk. I am completely shocked and disturbed by this and want to make her understand the gravity of those views.

Last weekend my girlfriend's friend from college came into town so her and their friends went out to celebrate. I went to pick her up from the bars at the end of the night and she's pretty hammered. She can get kind of belligerent when drunk but that night she seems normal. We're driving home and talking about her night when she starts complaining about these two guys who were hitting on them and wouldn't take the hints that they weren't interested. Then she states how "of course they were black". I ask her wtf that's supposed to mean and she just goes on a long diatribe against black guys and how "they act". I tell her she's being racist and point out she can't just generalize an entire race because of two random dudes. This just sets her off and she just goes on a full on rant about blacks. Like an idiot I try and engage her drunk rear end in a legitimate argument. By the time we're almost home she's pretty much said every racist insult and slur imaginable about black people while accusing me of having "white guilt". I finally just tell her to shut up and we drive the rest of the way in silence. We get home, I put her to bed and just sit in the kitchen in complete shock of what the gently caress just happened.

The next morning I bring it up to her and she just laughs it off as being drunk. She also claims she couldn't remember most of the more heinous stuff she said. I don't really believe this, she was very drunk but not black out drunk. I tried to tell her that poo poo wasn't ok and she just rolled her eyes and played the victim card. As if I was choosing to defend the guys who were harassing her over protecting her. She finally said she was sorry in the least sincere way possible and we haven't talked about it since.

For the record she's a very normal girl from a educated upper class family in a relatively progressive part of the country. I have literally never seen this side of her and it's been nagging me all week. While I never would have considered her racist before she has made some off color comments before but I just chalked it up to her outspoken personality. However now I can't help but see those things in a new light. First off I know what she said was terrible but I honestly love her and she has been the greatest girlfriend I have ever had. I know most people reading this are going to hate her and tell me to break up with her immediately and I would've probably said the same two weeks ago, but I truly think she's a good person. I just want her to realize why what she said was hurtful. She knows I'm very progressive and that I care deeply about social justice. I want to come at her from a caring angle without making her feel like I'm lecturing her. Does anyone have similar experience with a bigoted loved one?

TL:DR - How do I make my girlfriend acknowledge what she said and make her understand that racist language has no place in our relationship.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
Incel Son is my new band name

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My mother (59) is choosing a long time friend (58 M) who is an alcoholic, liar, and suspected pedophile over her daughters and future granddaughter this holiday season.

My mother has been friends with Kara (58) and Daniel (58) since she was 13. Kara and Daniel got married and have remained my mom's best friends for as long as I can remember. Kara is like my second mother and I considered Daniel to be a second father for a long period of my life as well.

Kara and Daniel have two children together. Their son is extremely close to my sisters and I. We consider each other to be siblings, his children call me "aunt", etc. Their daughter, Nina, passed away a few years ago. She was deeply troubled with severe drug and alcohol problems. Before she left our city, she accused Daniel of molesting her and being the cause of all of her mental health issues. My parents and Kara didn't believe it, but her brother did based off of things Nina had said to him while growing up.

She cut off all contact with Kara and Daniel before she left, but still remained in contact with her brother. She died after a head injury from a fall, with explicit wishes that she would rather have no funeral than have Daniel attend hers.

I believe Nina. At one point in my life, Daniel went from being like a father figure, to saying bizarre and pervy offhand comments to me. He did this to my sisters as well. I sort of brushed it off as him making poorly delivered sarcastic jokes and assuming we were old enough for adult jokes but now that I'm older, I realize how wrong it was.

In addition to this, Daniel is an alcoholic. He is a full-blown, raging alcoholic. There was so much odd behavior from him that I witnessed as I grew up that I didn't realize was the result of him being constantly drunk until I was older.

He constantly reeked of booze, would drink and drive every day, and I have caught him taking pocket shots when he thinks he's alone on more than one occasion. I can remember babysitting for his grandsons and when it was time to take me home, he told me to drive under the guise of "driving experience", when in reality he was too drunk to drive me home! I was 14 and didn't even have a learner's permit. He was a secret alcoholic for years but it has really gotten bad in these past few. He's had seizures, multiple stints in rehab, multiple stays in the hospital, etc. He's a mess. He is not the man he once was.

​To make it even worse, he has gambled away and spent all of the savings he and Kara had. Daniel was always in charge of the money and Kara had been lead to believe they were in a great spot financially. They always had lucrative careers and received a great deal of money from inheritances. Daniel always took care of the bills and investments. Kara and Daniel also bought a new house two years ago that she was told had been paid off in full. She was also told they were on track to retire within the next two years.

​This turned out to all be a lie. Kara felt like something was wrong and opened some mail and discovered that Daniel had refinanced their house, was in terrible debt, and had spent their life savings by secret gambling. He had been lying to her the entire time, in addition to being a horrible drunk. It was a huge mess. When my eldest sister found out, she threw a glass of wine in Daniel's face. We are all very protective of Kara, so naturally we were furious.

​To make matters worse, my "brother" lost his son to cancer. This was extremely difficult. Kara and Daniel took it horribly and Daniel almost died due to his alcoholism. It was a really poo poo year for everybody. After the funeral, I watched as Daniel hit on my older sister in a disgusting and explicit manner. She called him a perv and our "brother", who also saw it happen, ripped his dad apart and kicked him out of the house. This was on the day he had to bury his own child!

It was extremely messed up. Up until that point, my sisters and I were just tolerating Daniel, choosing to associate with him as little as possible.

We can't do that now. My older sister is engaged to a man with a young daughter, Hannah. They have been together for a long time so this little girl is like my sister's own child. She is four years old and the best niece I could ever ask for.

​My sister has made it very clear she does not want Daniel around Hannah. She has expressed this to my mother multiple times. At the Fourth of July, my sister said she would not come if Daniel was coming. My mom assured her that Daniel was not coming and that only Kara and our "brother" were. Sure enough, Daniel showed up. He has everyone convinced he's stopped drinking but I knew he hadn't. It was a pool party and he "forgot" his swimsuit and had to go home and get it. When he came back he reeked of booze. I later caught him in the kitchen drinking a regular beer, then he came outside with a nonalcoholic beer in its place.

My sister had Hannah with her and left because she didn't want Hannah at a pool party with Daniel.

Then for Halloween, my sister and her fiance wanted to come to my parents' house to celebrate with Hannah. My sister has text messages from my mom which I have seen and read where my sister says she would love to come for Halloween, as long as Daniel is not there. My mom replied with "If you don't want Kara, Daniel, or the rest of the family to come then just let me know and I will tell them." My sister responded that this was her explicitly asking my mom to make sure Daniel will not be there and to not invite them.

​So my sister brings Hannah to my parents' house and is having a good time, only for Daniel to walk in the door within 15 minutes! My sister was furious and chewed my mom, Kara, and Daniel out and left.

​Today my sister called me and told me she won't be at Thanksgiving or Christmas because of the Daniel situation. She says that it's happened twice now and she can't believe our mom when she claims Daniel won't be coming for the holidays. Our mom also hasn't apologized for the incident at 4th of July or Halloween.

​I am on my sister's side. I believe Nina and I don't want my niece around Daniel. I don't even want to be around Daniel!

I love Kara to death, and I always will, but I hate her trash husband. She knows this and she understands. I think she feels trapped and is pretty miserable as well.

​With everything Kara and Daniel have been through, my mom does not want to abandon her friends, especially around the holidays. I understand that they have a strong friendship that goes on for many years before I was ever even born, but I don't think that excuses Daniel's lovely behavior. I no longer consider him family and don't want to associate with him. After my sister told me she won't be there for the holidays, I was crushed and asked my mom why she invited Daniel. She said she didn't invite Daniel but that she's allowed to invite whoever she wants to her home. I told her she isn't allowed to trick her daughter into bringing a four year old to an environment with a suspected pedophile and known alcoholic/liar. She claims she never offered to tell them they couldn't come for Halloween and that she doesn't remember anything being wrong at the 4th of July. I told her that was bullshit because I saw the text messages and I also fought with my mom on the 4th of July over Daniel being there.

​I told her that my sister deserves and apology and my mom says she doesn't owe her anything. Then she told me that I don't have to come home for the holidays if I feel so strongly.

​That really hurt because I go to college out of state and I never get to see my family. I was really looking forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas but now I don't even feel welcome knowing that my mom is choosing this man over her own children. I feel crushed. On top of it all, my grandpa is dying and this will be our last holiday season with him. I don't want Daniel ruining this last chance to be with my grandpa.

​I don't know what to do. I'm so frustrated and angry. Does anybody have advice for my situation? I feel furious/helpless.

​TL;DR: My spiteful mother would rather have her lying, alcoholic, pedophile friend over for holidays than her own daughters and grandchild. I am at a loss.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Have your own thanksgiving and don’t invite your mom.

drat that sucks though.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The little maneuver the mother did where she swore up and down that she wouldn't invite the drunken pedo and then he just magically appears after everyone else is there is loving infuriating.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Husband (26m) is very cavalier with money. I’m (26f) very frustrated because he tries but still screws up. Accept this as the way he is or do I need to think about leaving?

The fact that my husband is not good with money isn’t a surprise as he just has never cared. He was deep in debt when we met and his attitude was (and still is to a large degree) “spend it now, pay it off later.” Right after we married we went to a financial advisor and got a plan to pay off his debt, start a budget and focus on saving for a down payment for a house.

It’s been 4 years and I would give him a B-, he tries but he is constantly just coming up short when it comes to execution. What happened this week is typical but the long term ramifications are really bad. He spent close to $1000 on a single concert ticket. This is bad enough but he used our pay pal (logged into my phone) which meant that our rent, bills, car insurance payment and health insurance payment (all on auto with draw from our checking) got kicked back. I’ll have to fix all of this. The insurance is really bad because he had a cardiologist appointment (he had major heart issues so insurance is critical for us) during when our insurance wasn’t paid and I’m thinking we are going to get sent the bill. I’m crying at night thinking of what a hassle it will be to fix.

His reasoning is that this was a once in lifetime concert and he couldn’t miss it. He doesn’t even remotely care about where the money will come from to pay the bills, the overdraft fees...let alone how much work it’s going to take to fix everything.

This is the first time I’ve seriously thought about leaving him. We go through this 3/4 times a year and I’m always lulled Into thinking it won’t happen again. So I feel that if I’m even thinking about leaving, it means I should before the “next one.”

Should I leave him? If not do I just accept that the rest of my life will have this stress?

Tl;dr: husband is bad with money, we’ve worked and worked to make him better but he continually makes bad choices which have a deep effect on me. What do I do?

grade inflation is out of control!!!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Midnight Voyager posted:

some people really want to believe the world is a better place than it is, and part of that is immediately doubting any horrible thing that comes along to the point of absolute incredulity

also, goons can't have anything nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Husband (26m) is very cavalier with money. I’m (26f) very frustrated because he tries but still screws up. Accept this as the way he is or do I need to think about leaving?

Did anyone else notice something missing from that story? You’d expect some indication that they’ve fought about the money issue at some point. I wonder if her moron husband figures this is no big deal because she’s been quietly cleaning up his messes without pushing back against his dipshittery.

I feel really bad for that woman. Her husband’s garbage money management is loving up her life and wrecking her mental health. At some point, though, it’s on her to stop giving him passes. This happens three or four times per year, and you’re still, “always lulled into thinking it won’t happen again?” You don’t believe that. You know it’s going to happen, again. Either he needs to change, or you need to leave.