Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

grade A privileged bullshit liberal smugness right here folks

If it was a vote between Hitler and Stalin you would consider it your civic duty to vote Hitler. It would genuinely never occur to you that perhaps the system is incredibly hosed up. Corporate serfdom is less bad than full fascism, so it is everyones duty to love their corporate overlords.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

That’s because it isn’t true, and a willful misinterpretation meant to justify inaction.

How else do you interpret the Steney Hoyer audio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

reignonyourparade posted:

The republicans are putting people on the republicans track, but the only way this analogy applies is if democrats are putting fewer people, but still putting people, on the democrats track.

Chilichimp posted:

Also, it's a trick trolly problem, the republicans are the ones who tied the folks up on the track and they're driving the train. You're actually not the one holding the lever, you're also tied up on the track and it's the democrats who have to pull the lever.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I understood what you mean here but you're really torturing the metaphor lol.

I really wish at least one of these foreign leaders who talks mad poo poo about Trump wasn't also poo poo themselves. Macron, Trudeau and Merkel are all huge neoliberal shitters who are leading their countries right into the jaws of fascism and refusing to do anything meaningful about global warming. Macron spends his free time loving unions, Trudeau is busy trying to approve more pipelines and Merkel led the charge to impose lovely austerity on the European periphery. Trump is certainly worse, but none of these people should be lionized.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Helen Highwater posted:

It's so weird that Congress couldn't find someone who had served at least one term already back in 1789.

I thought that was stupid too, turns out he just worded it weird. Clay didn't go to congress until 1811.

BUT WHAT HAPPENED THE VERY NEXT YEAR, EH!?!?!?!

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Chilichimp posted:

My anger isn't misplaced. I'm angry at fascists and I want my anti-fascist bros to help me turn it around.
Fair enough, but bear in mind that there are collaborators, unwitting or otherwise, in the Democratic party and they are seriously harming its ability to fight fascism.

Feel free to get angry with people in your life who you happen to know voted Green or didn't vote or whatever. I don't really have a problem with that. But don't let that distract you from the real fight, which is both turfing out Republicans and the people in the Democratic party who make it easier for them to win elections. And don't fall for arguments that you have to do one first, then the other, either.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Did people already forget about Steny Hoyer and Levi Tillemann.

Because it's pretty loving damning.

E: beaten

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Fair enough, but bear in mind that there are collaborators, unwitting or otherwise, in the Democratic party and they are seriously harming its ability to fight fascism.

Feel free to get angry with people in your life who you happen to know voted Green or didn't vote or whatever. I don't really have a problem with that. But don't let that distract you from the real fight, which is both turfing out Republicans and the people in the Democratic party who make it easier for them to win elections. And don't fall for arguments that you have to do one first, then the other, either.

Oh most definitely. We gotta do both at the same time.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Not a Step posted:

If it was a vote between Hitler and Stalin you would consider it your civic duty to vote Hitler. It would genuinely never occur to you that perhaps the system is incredibly hosed up. Corporate serfdom is less bad than full fascism, so it is everyones duty to love their corporate overlords.

How else do you interpret the Steney Hoyer audio?

Your choice is not between Hitler and Stalin. It's Hitler and Beto O'Rourke. Do you have any fuckin' idea the number of candidates this cycle that eschewed corporate packs? The winds are a changin' and they'll continue to change.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think it's a legitimate issue for those Republican senators or other Republicans that maybe it harms their evangelical support base which are probably absolutely against "the devil's weed". Also legalizing weed removes a tool from law enforcement to target african americans which is also something they might not like even if their states legalized it.

Eh, law enforcement will find some other tool to oppress people. They are pretty good at that.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Helen Highwater posted:

It's so weird that Congress couldn't find someone who had served at least one term already back in 1789.

They're saying that of all the Speakers within that period, Clay was the most influential, not that Clay was elected in 1789.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
"DEMS RIG THEIR PRIMARIES" is such a fox news headline. Of course they're going to prune their candidates and their system is set up to pick their typical candidate that falls in line with the party platform instead of rocking the boat. They didn't attack democracy by cheating Bernie, that's just how the 2 party system works and the DNC is not a government entity so they can make and break their own rules. If you're mad, go vote for the more progressives in the party and push the party left. Don't hand over the loving ball, game, and court to the literal fascists you complicit shits.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Not a Step posted:

I think you have your 20th Century dictators reversed here my dude.

^ this is an... interesting argument.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Bottom Liner posted:

"DEMS RIG THEIR PRIMARIES" is such a fox news headline. Of course they're going to prune their candidates and their system is set up to pick their typical candidate that falls in line with the party platform instead of rocking the boat. They didn't attack democracy by cheating Bernie, that's just how the 2 party system works and the DNC is not a government entity so they can make and break their own rules. If you're mad, go vote for the more progressives in the party and push the party left. Don't hand over the loving ball, game, and court to the literal fascists you complicit shits.

You're not reading the whole thread are you?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

Also, it's a trick trolly problem, the republicans are the ones who tied the folks up on the track and they're driving the train. You're actually not the one holding the lever, you're also tied up on the track and it's the democrats who have to pull the lever.

They dont though. Theres a third secrion of track with nobody tied to it and they only have to inconvenience the rich and powerful. Theyre cool with crushing people though.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

Your choice is not between Hitler and Stalin. It's Hitler and Beto O'Rourke. Do you have any fuckin' idea the number of candidates this cycle that eschewed corporate packs? The winds are a changin' and they'll continue to change.

you can click back through the quotes and this conversation started with the DNC rigging 2020, there's no way the DNC is rigging 2020 for someone eschewing corporate pacs.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bottom Liner posted:

its a hell of a thing to admit that they rig the primaries and say the solution is to vote in the primaries

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

What's this horseshit, "yeah they rig their primaries but it's not against the law so it's fine. Now go vote, in the rigged primaries".

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Lightning Knight posted:

I think you have your 20th Century dictators reversed here my dude.
I'm pretty sure you're misreading that.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

its a hell of a thing to admit that they rig the primaries and say the solution is to vote in the primaries

lol, I caught that poo poo too.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

I really wish at least one of these foreign leaders who talks mad poo poo about Trump wasn't also poo poo themselves. Macron, Trudeau and Merkel are all huge neoliberal shitters who are leading their countries right into the jaws of fascism and refusing to do anything meaningful about global warming. Macron spends his free time loving unions, Trudeau is busy trying to approve more pipelines and Merkel led the charge to impose lovely austerity on the European periphery. Trump is certainly worse, but none of these people should be lionized.

what do you mean, of course they should be lionized, there's plenty of protein on them and lions are good kitties who deserve tasty meals

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I'm pretty sure you're misreading that.

I mean, I'm just saying, I think the lesser of two evils between Hitler and Stalin is Stalin?

Also "the DNC rigged the primaries and it was good because gently caress leftists" is an impressively stupid take.

^ Ha!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lightning Knight posted:

I would have just criticized Trudeau for that being a poorly worded analogy. "Yeah the rain is bad but it's better than bullet rain." There has to be a more poetic way to phrase that. We don't have many good orators up in Canada.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, I'm just saying, I think the lesser of two evils between Hitler and Stalin is Stalin?

Also "the DNC rigged the primaries and it was good because gently caress leftists" is an impressively stupid take.

^ Ha!

It's a false dichotomy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Axetrain posted:

What's this horseshit, "yeah they rig their primaries but it's not against the law so it's fine. Now go vote, in the rigged primaries".

I'm saying your whole "rigging the primaries" nonsense is just that. Don't like the two party system? Too loving bad, it's the reality of our country and a vote for any third party or non-vote is handing power to the gerrymandering election stealing right.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chilichimp posted:

It's a false dichotomy.

I mean it's an argument to absurdity and I'm obviously reading too much into it, I just wanted to give him a hard time because Stalin is less bad than Hitler. :colbert:

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm saying your whole "rigging the primaries" nonsense is just that.

You made a dumb argument lol, at least own it.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean it's an argument to absurdity and I'm obviously reading too much into it, I just wanted to give him a hard time because Stalin is less bad than Hitler. :colbert:

You made a dumb argument lol, at least own it.

They're the same bad, from two different ends of our garbage political spectrum.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

I really wish at least one of these foreign leaders who talks mad poo poo about Trump wasn't also poo poo themselves.

turns out he's not and this is just a #resistance meme right now

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1061324467794862081

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm saying your whole "rigging the primaries" nonsense is just that. Don't like the two party system? Too loving bad, it's the reality of our country and a vote for any third party or non-vote is handing power to the gerrymandering election stealing right.

Then what you're saying is wrong. And it's actually going to be too bad for most of the people in this country if Democrats can't get their poo poo together.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chilichimp posted:

They're the same bad, from two different ends of our garbage political spectrum.

I really don't agree with this, and attempts to equivocate Hitler and Stalin is a Nazi talking point just so you know. Stalin was undoubtedly a lovely dictator who caused the deaths of millions due to his own incompetence, but Hitler organized the systemic industrialized slaughter of millions based on their identity or benign characteristics in a way that Stain has no direct equivalent to. Both sides, in fact, are not equally bad in that example.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

You said that it was fox news nonsense and then followed it up with "yeah they broke their own rules." The MOST GENEROUS reading of what you wrote is "I personally don't care that they rig the primaries therefore you shouldn't either."

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I mean, the Board of Directors can usually fire the CEO at any time without cause... I'd take it.

WTF, though, no repudiation from the largest wave election since 2008?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 11, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Axetrain posted:

Then what you're saying is wrong. And it's actually going to be too bad for most of the people in this country if Democrats can't get their poo poo together.

So being contrarian accelerationist and saying "but both sides bad" instead of voting does what?

"Dems bad" is the left's "but her emails".

reignonyourparade posted:

You said that it was fox news nonsense and then followed it up with "yeah they broke their own rules." The MOST GENEROUS reading of what you wrote is "I personally don't care that they rig the primaries therefore you shouldn't either."

I said they didn't rig anything because it's their own party and of course they're going to try and groom candidates to fall in line. I do care that the two party system is so poo poo but it's the reality we have to deal with. Bernie knew that the system was stacked against him going in but knew that he'd get a lot farther under the DNC umbrella than he'd ever get as an independent.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 11, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

eke out posted:

turns out he's not and this is just a #resistance meme right now

Curse you resistance twitter! :argh:

I stand by what I said otherwise though. :colbert:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bottom Liner posted:

So being contrarian accelerationist and saying "but both sides bad" instead of voting does what?

It is possible to grudgingly vote in the general election and still be pissed that an actual good candidate was passed over because he or she wasn't enough of a shill for corporate and financial interests, hope this helps

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Bottom Liner posted:

Remove #1 and #2 Dems since they're on the record for corruption. Continue to Vote.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Helen Highwater posted:

He was sworn into office in 1811, twenty two years after the first congress.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

Curse you resistance twitter! :argh:

I stand by what I said otherwise though. :colbert:

oh yeah i mean all those people fuckin suck. that particular speech has just been liberal clickbait today

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

RuanGacho posted:

Remove #1 and #2 Dems since they're on the record for corruption. Continue to Vote.

It is possible to grudgingly vote in the general election and still be pissed that an actual good candidate was passed over because he or she wasn't enough of a shill for corporate and financial interests, hope this helps

That's what I'm saying. I was originally replying to the person saying they're not going to vote D or at all if the progressive candidate isn't on the ballot.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

I really don't agree with this, and attempts to equivocate Hitler and Stalin is a Nazi talking point just so you know. Stalin was undoubtedly a lovely dictator who caused the deaths of millions due to his own incompetence, but Hitler organized the systemic industrialized slaughter of millions based on their identity or benign characteristics in a way that Stain has no direct equivalent to. Both sides, in fact, are not equally bad in that example.

This is a dumb argument. You’re basically saying that Hiltler is worse than Stalin because he was more efficient in his ethnic cleansing. They were both monsters that did a genocide. We don’t have to compare bodycounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

This is a dumb argument. You’re basically saying that Hiltler is worse than Stalin because he was more efficient in his ethnic cleansing. They were both monsters that did a genocide. We don’t have to compare bodycounts.

now we move into the "was the holodomor real?" phase of this argument