Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

food court bailiff posted:

Who works at FFG/Asmodee and can explain why they have the foresight to print card sleeve size numbers on their games with cards but then don't actually put that size number on any of the packaging on their entire line of sleeves? Some real fuckin' brain geniuses at that operation, I tell ya.

The numbers aren't sizes, they're quantities of packs. The colors are the sizes, and the sleeve packages have the corresponding color on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
If anyone cares Dndspo-I mean RPGSports.tv released their first streamed episode here.

I skipped around here and there. It took about an hour to start the match proper (PvP deathmatch) and lasted for 40 minutes.

The post-game discussion does not sound promising. Mentioning how one team didn't seem to have a good grasp on the rules, several rounds where nothing happened or the players did not take advantage of attacks they could have gotten such as an elf with a longbow who could have hit an enemy within her range.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hmm WotC didn't want to put the stamp of approval on this, you say?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it'd be actually kinda fun to have a 'proper' X-Crawl style thing where it's like two teams running the same dungeon on different days and seeing who dies or gets what loot or whatever and...I dunno...I'm sure you can make a not totally stupid point system there to decide who wins.

This, as the kids say, ain't it,

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Libertad! posted:

If anyone cares Dndspo-I mean RPGSports.tv released their first streamed episode here.

I skipped around here and there. It took about an hour to start the match proper (PvP deathmatch) and lasted for 40 minutes.

The post-game discussion does not sound promising. Mentioning how one team didn't seem to have a good grasp on the rules, several rounds where nothing happened or the players did not take advantage of attacks they could have gotten such as an elf with a longbow who could have hit an enemy within her range.
It is real bad. I am a fan of Cig Neutron from Face Off, though, so it was good to see him at least?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Evil Mastermind posted:

I love how this is framed so that it looks like the DM is staring across the battlefield at the guy in the Danganrompa mask going "What the gently caress."

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I love how this is framed so that it looks like the DM is staring across the battlefield at the guy in the Danganrompa mask going "What the gently caress."

Holy poo poo, I thought that was someone’s lovely avatar. They actually wore that thing on a stream.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

sexpig by night posted:

it'd be actually kinda fun to have a 'proper' X-Crawl style thing where it's like two teams running the same dungeon on different days and seeing who dies or gets what loot or whatever and...I dunno...I'm sure you can make a not totally stupid point system there to decide who wins.

This, as the kids say, ain't it,

Man, making an xcrawl game would be pretty amazing

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Rand Brittain posted:

Crane is a good designer but his business is basically designed around making exactly the product he wants to use himself, and he won't lift a finger to accommodate anybody else (see: he doesn't use PDFs, so nobody gets one).

There was an "intro to Burning Wheel" PDF that was infuriating because it demonstrated that the fucker knows PDF is good and cool.

Cocomonk3
Oct 21, 2010

Meinberg posted:

As someone who knows literally nothing about the Australian Larp scene, this is real neat. How often do you meet? And for how long? I imagine less frequently on account of the remoteness.

Well, we have 'official' training once a week, with a couple of smaller training days as well. They're half training, half playing with the rules. We usually locate them pretty centrally, so 30 or so people turn out for them.

As for actual larp games, I run one every fortnight, for around 6 hours. Then three times a year there's our big one (Shattered World) which is from Friday to Sunday. Plus a post-Apoc game that goes 24 hour, Friday to Sunday morning two or three times a year, and other games run irregularly.

One thing that's worth noting is something absurd like 80% of the population of the entire state is in the major city (Perth) and its surrounds. Which can still be 2 hours drive away. So if you larp in Western Australia, you almost certainly come to the big games. I drive 2ish hours to Shattered World, and some people drive like 4 or 5 hours.

Nystral posted:

additionally are you describing Society of Creative Anachronism (SCA) or something wholly different?

Wholely different. Some people argue that SCA is larp, but we're pretty distinct. They use more realistic fighting methods and armour, we use latex swords and a mix of fake and real armour. We also do wierder stuff. You can't be an elf in the SCA (to my knowledge), nor can you play in a post-apocalypse.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the SCA is supposed to be rooted firmly in real-world history, no fantasy elements aside from folks from the Italian Renaissance rubbing elbows with medieval lords and ladies. They fight exclusively with rattan weapons.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I prefer viking recreationists, who use actual steel, just not sharpened. Since it's all play fighting anyway it's almost as safe as latex and rattan.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Loomer posted:

I prefer viking recreationists, who use actual steel, just not sharpened. Since it's all play fighting anyway it's almost as safe as latex and rattan.

Isn't that how real swordsmen trained anyway?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Depends on where, when, and how much money they had.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
So I'm looking over the rules of that RPGSports thing. Amongst the magic items, which you need to pick up on the battlefield itself, I noticed the following:

RPGSports rules doc posted:

Potion of Speed: Until the end of this match, you gain 15ft increased movement speed.

Potion of Heroism: Until the end of this match, you gain 10 Temporary Hit Points. For the same
Duration, you are under the effect of the bless spell (no Concentration required). This blue
potion bubbles and steams as if boiling.

Potion of Slipperiness: This potion's container looks empty but feels as though it holds liquid.
When you drink it, enemies have Disadvantage to Attack Rolls against you. The effect ends
early if you Attack or Cast a Spell.

Notice how the first two have a listed duration, but the third one doesn't. It just says "when you drink it" which in game terms is an instant event that cannot be interrupted by any attacks. It does say it ends early so it must have some duration, it just doesn't say what it is.

Also it ends early if you "Attack or Cast a Spell". Sounds solid, right? Except due to the capitalization, this means very specific actions. As written the effect would not end from an opportunity attack, because not every attack is an Attack. (Thanks 5e!) I can't be 100% sure but I somewhat doubt this behavior is intentional.

Edit:
Man what an unprofessional mess. About 38 minutes in, their "Analyst Desk" explains the drafting phase. And she explains it goes:
[Ban ABAB Ban ABAB]
This is wrong. Their rules document clearly shows a snake draft format, which goes:
[Ban ABBA Ban BAAB]

When your analyst desk doesn't know how the drafting phase goes, you know you're in for one hell of a ride. She even says that the ABAB format might favor team B a little which is :psyduck:
(And for the uninitiated, snake draft is super common in sports, esports, and gaming. Just google the term and you see it pops up in all sorts of contexts.)

WTF??
I fast-forwarded to ~45 minutes, they are actually using the ABAB format? Instead of snake draft, the most standard drafting method of all precisely because of how it doesn't favor either side, and which they spell out in their own rules?

Yoooo what the gently caress is happening here? They're doing it ABAB BABA. You're giving two picks in a row to one single team instead of both? You're sort of, half-snaking it here? No. Just... no.

Edit2:
Ok and this is just me nitpicking now, but...
They say the human cleric has "high AC", by which they mean 16. Which really isn't anything special. But better yet, they also point out that the warlock has low AC. Except they also gave that character at-will Mage Armor, so with his Dex his true AC is actually always 15. Just one point shy of the "high AC" cleric. It's nothing major but I do wonder if whoever wrote those character descriptions actually understood them.

Edit3:
So it sat through it all. That was... rough.

The teams were clearly new to their characters and D&D in general. They didn't know what they could do or what the rules were.

They didn't know that a Sorcerer can't Quicken a spell and cast it twice, because if you cast a spell as a bonus action, then the only other spellcasting allowed that round is a cantrip. Note that the Blue Team won because they broke the rules on this one. I don't blame the players, they probably got told this'd be a fun little afternoon and instead got thrown into the deep end of 5e, those poor loving bastards.

They use strict timers for turn-length and match-length, but also waste loads of time with questions due to their inexperience. Wisely, most people played cautiously because nobody wants to be the one who Dashes forward and then gets nailed with the first spell/attack. The map was far too big for the time limit. This is why map design is a science in competitive video games. Seriously, if your time limit is 45 minutes, then don't design a match where it takes 30 minutes for the first damage to be dealt. This is not an exaggeration, this is really what happened.

Their own tournament rules say there are no death saves; if you're at 0 you're just out, with the exception that healing spells can "respawn" you. The DM forgot that and let a character make death saves anyway.

When the Tiefling got damaged, the DM asked if he wanted to take a reaction. As the player is obviously new to all this, he blurted out some guesses. "Dodge? Retreat?" Which made him a laughing stock to twitch chat. Since I'm a grown man with a working brain (allegedly), I can tell that the DM was trying to hint at using Hellish Rebuke. The player couldn't know that so instead it all got silly and ran out the clock of the attacking player while they were doing the guessing pantomime.

It's 12:13 in the afternoon here and I already feel like I need a drink...

Edit4:
Oh gently caress off!

Watching the post-game section now. One of the analysts correctly realized that Scorching Ray can't be cast twice the same round by Quickening, but then concludes with, "But hey, golden rule: what the DM says goes!"

While that has some merit in a tabletop game with your friends (particularly in corner case scenarios where the standard rules might not have a clear answer), in a combat tournament with a $5000 prize pool? When you're just breaking a rule that is definitely very much spelled out in the PHB? drat, what a poor joke. That's no way to organize a tournament.

Sage Genesis fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 11, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Rogue 7 posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought that was someone’s lovely avatar. They actually wore that thing on a stream.

Don't be mean to Ettin

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Rogue 7 posted:

If you look at the top right, you can see the other members of their team are furries.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What is it about Monokuma that screamed 'this will help me play a tiefling' to that person, I wonder.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
To be fair, given how this is turning out, wearing a mask may have been the wisest decision of all.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
This is why people tune in to eSports - to watch noobs learn the games against other noobs. My favourite match from this year's EVO was the one where one player figured out how to throw fireballs and the other player kept walking into it until she threw the controller and ragequit, calling Ryu "cheap".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Wait this was a prize money thing? This wasn't just a gently caress around and find out kinda experiment?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

sexpig by night posted:

Wait this was a prize money thing? This wasn't just a gently caress around and find out kinda experiment?

https://rpgsports.tv/

Scroll down a little bit and you'll see that it's got a $5000 prize pool. So it's, you know, a gently caress around kinda experiment with real money on the line.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
cool plan I'm sure that won't lead to the majority of the people who clearly have very little experience feeling cheated and soured on the hobby when their 'oh this would be a neat way to learn this game' gets mired down by people who don't know what they're doing as esports managers and all.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It still brings me a chuckle to think of an eSports-style coach for a D&D group.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Things really went downhill after they lost big power-player and D&D audience touchstone Boogie.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

It still brings me a chuckle to think of an eSports-style coach for a D&D group.
"Okay, what ya gotta do on this next play is roll a 15 or better, got it?"
"Uh, yeah, but I don't really have a lot of control over what comes up on the die, since..."
"Don't give me your excuses!"

fake edit: would weighted dice be the equivalent of juicing?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sage Genesis posted:

jesus gently caress

This is so poorly managed that it's hard to even laugh at how bad it is. What is the point of a tournament if the neither the DM nor the players know the rules well enough to play properly? I know I said before that'd make sense to use this as a test of expanding D&D's marketing potential but come on you're not even trying to sell the product well there.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 11, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Evil Mastermind posted:

"Okay, what ya gotta do on this next play is roll a 15 or better, got it?"
"Uh, yeah, but I don't really have a lot of control over what comes up on the die, since..."
"Don't give me your excuses!"

fake edit: would weighted dice be the equivalent of juicing?
5etools on your snuck-in smart watch.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
getting a ringer but it's just having some dork on the character optimization boards build your character

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

getting a ringer but it's just having some dork on the character optimization boards build your character

This is honestly what I imagine the coaches to be.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dawgstar posted:

This is honestly what I imagine the coaches to be.

"You took Toughness? HOW MUCH IS THE OTHER TEAM PAYING YOU TO SABOTAGE US?!"

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The talk from the uh... color commentary people?... during the pick/ban was just embarrassing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
So Mark Rein-Hagen has been having a series of meltdowns on his Facebook where he tries to avoid admitting that he wrote this:

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/1060494957994098689

But finds sideways ways to defend "the writer". It's come to a head with his last update:

And it's making me wonder why some people have such a hard time understanding the difference between mining current, real-life genocides for RPG plot hooks and writing fictional bad people for made-up stories?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Piell posted:

If you look at the top right, you can see the other members of their team are furries.

I'm pretty sure those are halloween costumes? The one in the middle of the right side team looks like a fursuit hat, but the others don't. They just look like they're not taking this seriously, which is the right play.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Nuns with Guns posted:

So Mark Rein-Hagen has been having a series of meltdowns on his Facebook where he tries to avoid admitting that he wrote this:

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/1060494957994098689

But finds sideways ways to defend "the writer". It's come to a head with his last update:

And it's making me wonder why some people have such a hard time understanding the difference between mining current, real-life genocides for RPG plot hooks and writing fictional bad people for made-up stories?

I know it's a rhetorical question, but it's because the privilege of the writers makes them unable to understand that the persecutions of marginalized people are real things that effect people. If it doesn't effect them, then it is inherently less real to these writers. This is why designers should hire sensitivity readers if they're working on material that's anywhere close to real-world marginalizations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fun fact, Rein dot Hagen lives literally next door to Chechnya.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
My 'favourite' part of that whole shitshow is that no writer will admit to writing it, and Ken Hite won't admit to developing it, suggesting that the section somehow self-actualised and inserted itself into their document files without human intervention.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mors Rattus posted:

Fun fact, Rein dot Hagen lives literally next door to Chechnya.

He's now claiming that he's received death threats from russian gamers, and is pulling down everything he's written on the subject.

Please note: this is the third time he's pulled down threads on this topic, previously he claimed it was because he accidentally broke an NDA.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Honestly, I am willing to believe far-right Russian assholes would send death threats over suggesting the Chechnyan purge is bad, even in the worst, most ham-fisted, least sensitive way that the guy did it.

I am also willing to believe he broke NDA because he was whiny.

But most of all. I am certain he used a metaphor which implies he's physically unable to produce good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Bieeanshee posted:

Yeah, the SCA is supposed to be rooted firmly in real-world history, no fantasy elements aside from folks from the Italian Renaissance rubbing elbows with medieval lords and ladies. They fight exclusively with rattan weapons.

Rattan's the usual, but they also have rapier, which is schlager blades, and cut and thrust, which is closer to HEMA rebated steel calibration these days.

The SCA's a pretty big tent.