Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

The Locator posted:

Who designs a tunnel that doesn't have the entrance as the lowest possible point for catching that sort of poo poo before it gets inside? Imagine if that had been a tank of something flammable and how many people would be caught in that tunnel with it.

Resurfacing the road can muck with actual vs design clearances. Some years ago I had the chance to talk to one of the folks who does resurfacing work (actually the resurfacing work, not the project engineer or foreman). It was an enlightening discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJUrtGHTQVI&t=1110s The whole video is full of "Oh gently caress no", but for some reason I fixated on this - entry into a confined space with no gas detector, plenty of opportunity for someone with a steam lance to start blasting out boiler tubes, and then start hitting stays with a hammer to see which ones go 'tock' instead of 'ting', while in a metal resonating box, without hearing protection.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Nenonen posted:

:stare: did he die?

shoes still on

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nenonen posted:

Both shoes remain on, it looks like, so he lived.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
You can see him moving his arm to get up afterwards

Re: the truck on the slat bridge. I guess it would be less weight if you got a driver who didn't need to carry their balls around in a wheelbarrow, but then if they didn't have balls that big they wouldn't have agreed to go across it in the first place.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

zedprime posted:

He was dozing and or the report is trying to soften the realization that you can operate vigilance controls in your sleep.

So we need multiple types of vigilance response, and you have to QTE the one that pops up on the screen?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I'm a few pages late but man this write-up is depressing. It's just like "everyone was lovely to each other. most of them died. the end." Where's the uplifting "humans draw together in times of crisis" message? I mean, look at this:

that article posted:

Since he had left the Pub Admiral perhaps ten minutes had passed, or maybe twelve, but certainly not more. He had lost track of the acquaintance with whom he had spent the evening and then escaped, and in a strange way he was in his element now, a man who knew ships, acting logically and alone, with no need to explain himself and nothing to do but survive.
The whole thing is written like that! "Oh I just somehow lost my worthless deadweight friend aquaintence, too bad for him." And it's written like it's a good thing - the whole tone of the article is "this is darwin at work, only the strongest survive." Which, I mean, is true. True-ish. But the article really plays up how evil all the people were to each other. How brutal they had to be to survive. There's like five specific examples of people abandoning their parents or spouses to escape. There's a bit where the writer waxes poetic for a while about how the escapees had to walk over the exterior windows of the ship when it was on it side and ghoulishly speculates about what the people trapped inside must have felt. There's a bunch of talk about all the desperate violence. How all the survivors were together, but really, they were alone. And then, on the other hand, there's only a few counterexamples, mostly crew members, and one offhand mention of a guy who wasn't trying to ruthlessly murder everyone around him to survive - and that guy doesn't even get named! There were more than a hundred survivors, I refuse to believe that there was nothing altruistic happening when the ship went down. It's such a weird slant to put on an article like that.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The people the article describes tend to cling to and help their fellow survivors despite the STRONG, RUGGED, DARWINIAN INDIVIDUALISM the article tries to push. Reading between the lines people did come together and help each other whenever it wasn't actively suicidal, including the RUGGED SURVIVORS that made it to the end. You can also see the hand of the editor at work every time the article says "and then this RUTHLESS RUGGED INDIVIDUALISM HELPED PEOPLE SURVIVE except for the large number of people that it didn't" or "and then everyone who was SELFLESS AND WEAK DIED except for the ones that didn't." For example the last fellow that it followed? By the article's own account he paired up with someone during the initial dive into the ocean, helped them out, lost them dodging debris, and then upon finding a lifeboat immediately started helping other people on and administering first aid.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Memento posted:

You can see him moving his arm to get up afterwards

Which looks to me like he's trying to keep the other passenger from stepping on him as they climb over the seat... hope I'm just seeing that wrong.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Complications posted:

The people the article describes tend to cling to and help their fellow survivors despite the STRONG, RUGGED, DARWINIAN INDIVIDUALISM the article tries to push. Reading between the lines people did come together and help each other whenever it wasn't actively suicidal, including the RUGGED SURVIVORS that made it to the end. You can also see the hand of the editor at work every time the article says "and then this RUTHLESS RUGGED INDIVIDUALISM HELPED PEOPLE SURVIVE except for the large number of people that it didn't" or "and then everyone who was SELFLESS AND WEAK DIED except for the ones that didn't." For example the last fellow that it followed? By the article's own account he paired up with someone during the initial dive into the ocean, helped them out, lost them dodging debris, and then upon finding a lifeboat immediately started helping other people on and administering first aid.

Yeah I didn’t read the article like that at all. To me, it was emphasizing that help or not, selfish or selfless, survival was about speed and luck rather than heros and bravery. The people who had to abandon their loved ones to survive weren’t individualists but making a split second decision that saved one instead of none. There wasn’t a brave way to save everyone. Bravery couldn’t save the day against such odds.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

No, the truck seems to be mostly undamaged.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

starkebn posted:

shoes still on

Look at the upper right: This happened on -5 street making this the territory of Opposite World. Shoes on = Dead.

:(

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
As the window comes off a wheelchair sticker comes to view, turns out he ignored the clear warning of maiming when he sat there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/dKj7nsg.mp4

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

I didn't see if the hooves stayed on but :rip: anyways

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Needs soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJEW5_7djaI

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DrPossum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVVEyUpnve4&t=84s

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

DrPossum posted:

Deer can survive without their hooves.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Oh, deer.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

What...a radical way to die.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/Tq8qi9w.mp4

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
aahahahahahahahahahah

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Its just not that guy's day.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I can't believe the forklift rolling into the boat trailer at the end didn't bust the gate open and send them both rolling into the street.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

withak posted:

I can't believe the forklift rolling into the boat trailer at the end didn't bust the gate open and send them both rolling into the street.

"Don't forget me, okay? I won't forget you."

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/6BvQNXD.mp4

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

All it needs is some overjoyed dogs to make it perfect.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tafferling posted:

"This Saturday, while a white march was organized in Marseille in tribute to eight people who died Monday, November 5 after the collapse of buildings, a piece of balcony collapsed on the crowd and made three wounded"
The buildings still weren't as poorly constructed as this sentence

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Splicer posted:

The buildings still weren't as poorly constructed as this sentence

smells like a machine translation

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

This has gotta be Russia because not only did that guy not even deign to turn his head to look at the surely horrendous noise right behind him, he didn't even flinch. Russia: not a single gently caress given since 980 AD.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SLOSifl posted:

That dude in the blue got loving owned what the gently caress.

It hit him so hard his glasses caught on fire

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/rk5VyZW.mp4

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

What?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

yes

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Russia.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Haven't you seen an extremely drunk guy try to walk uphill before?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Whooping Crabs posted:

Haven't you seen an extremely drunk guy try to walk uphill before?

Just in case they haven't:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuI23zCudKY

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Fixed it:

https://i.imgur.com/CvHMpUt.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

I like how you found the one video of this phenomenon that is funny and not just sad

Much better!