Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

Also, there is no save system, it's Doom. You can save whenever you want.

Oh thank god, that's pushed it over the edge then. Welp, I'll add it to the ever-growing list!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

are nightdive really doing a blood remaster? who has the insider info!?

Sadly anyone involved will be (understandably) unable to comment on rumours or speculation until Night Dive PR decides to get the ball/zombie head rolling.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Maybe I've been playing too much Dusk but setting r_scale to 2 in quakespasm suits the game way better. Not sure I'd prefer it in Doom, mind

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

A.o.D. posted:

I think I'm going to try to make a themed mini-wad.

damit.wad

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

is there any place where I can see all the recent-ish TCs that have come out recently? Been away from my PC for the last good while and so I'm thinking of giving Ashes 2063 and Golden Souls 2 a go but wonder if there's anything else.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Narcissus1916 posted:

is there any place where I can see all the recent-ish TCs that have come out recently? Been away from my PC for the last good while and so I'm thinking of giving Ashes 2063 and Golden Souls 2 a go but wonder if there's anything else.

REKKR and Total Chaos are the other two big ones I can think of. Oh, and Adventures of Square episode 2.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

Have you tried the Doomworld forums?

zindryr
Dec 13, 2004
Nothing
Hello thread, back again with another multiplayer Goldsrc mod to invite you guys to come play for the weekend. This Saturday night at 10pm PST (just under 24 hours from the time of this post) we'll be playing Digital Paintball Gold, which is a pretty fun paintball-based mod. If you never had the chance to play, just join up on the server around the start time above and get playing. There should be only one active server because this game is most certainly not played anymore, but if you're having trouble finding it just try clicking here and joining directly, or by IP: server.kuoushi.com:27015

Should be a fun time, and I hope to see you guys come out and play. If you're interested in the upcoming schedule of games, just check it out here, and also check out the potential list of future games.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Halls of the Dammed

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

the name's doomguy. james doomguy.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

the name's doomguy. james doomguy.

Arkvielsk Weapons Facility in the Bruiser Brothers Dam

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
in case anyone's interested, on the doomworld forums there's an ongoing project to clean up the original sprites using a neural net upscaler. i think it looks pretty good, but i guess take a look and see what you think

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/99021-v-0-7-doom-neural-upscale-2x/

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Every time I do a map I try to learn something new.

This time it's 3D skyboxes. They're shockingly easy.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

site posted:

in case anyone's interested, on the doomworld forums there's an ongoing project to clean up the original sprites using a neural net upscaler. i think it looks pretty good, but i guess take a look and see what you think

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/99021-v-0-7-doom-neural-upscale-2x/
The caco and some other enemies look quite uncanny, at least in the frames that turn out the best, but a lot of it looks quite filter-y and it would need a lot of work by an artist to clean it up.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
The poor impse on the right lost his hand in the war :(

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

zindryr posted:

Hello thread, back again with another multiplayer Goldsrc mod to invite you guys to come play for the weekend. This Saturday night at 10pm PST (just under 24 hours from the time of this post) we'll be playing Digital Paintball Gold, which is a pretty fun paintball-based mod. If you never had the chance to play, just join up on the server around the start time above and get playing. There should be only one active server because this game is most certainly not played anymore, but if you're having trouble finding it just try clicking here and joining directly, or by IP: server.kuoushi.com:27015

Should be a fun time, and I hope to see you guys come out and play. If you're interested in the upcoming schedule of games, just check it out here, and also check out the potential list of future games.

Quoting this to remind folks to join up. These have been cool so far.

edit: It was fun

Chinook fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 11, 2018

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Those upscaled sprites are blowing my mind. So loving cool. Wow.

I know it’s not an FPS but I love this thread so I’m gonna ask here anyway: has anyone played Daggerfall recently? That Unity-based fan engine is looking close to complete and I’m wondering if it’s worth going through. I’ve never played it but I’ve played everything from Morrowind onward and I’ve always meant to go back.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Daggerfall is a massive game, utterly gigantic which is impressive both for its era and all subsequent games. Morrowind's playabe area is 24 square kilometers while Daggerfall is 161,000 square kilometers.

Other than size its not a very good game and theres a reason they went to Morrowind after Daggerfall

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Pathos posted:

I know it’s not an FPS but I love this thread so I’m gonna ask here anyway: has anyone played Daggerfall recently? That Unity-based fan engine is looking close to complete and I’m wondering if it’s worth going through. I’ve never played it but I’ve played everything from Morrowind onward and I’ve always meant to go back.

I played it after it was release free by Bethesda on their official website. I started with Oblivion, went back to Morrowind, then played Daggerfall and Arena.

Daggerfall is buggy as hell, but it’s got a lot of cool parts to it, and like Morrowind, can be broken from a stats point of view pretty easy. As far as setting, it’s a mash up of three kingdoms so parts are very Oblivion, but others are a little more unique. Those unique slots, however, are no where as alien as Morrowind. Don’t be tricked by the world size, the vast majority is barren so you’ll fast travel betweens points of interest. Almost everything is procedurally generated similar to Diablo, but some dungeons are unique, and others can be messed up due to certain RNG seeds. I’d suggest downloading any community patches that deal with that.

The story is multi-branched with 7 unique endings depending on which faction you help. It’s a pretty standard fantasy affair, but I enjoyed it simply because of the freedom you have compared to later titles.

Arena, if you’re wondering, isn’t really very good other than it’s history in the series. It works but I never finished it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Those upscaled wall textures look fantastic but yeah the sprites need a bit of work.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Barudak posted:

Daggerfall is a massive game, utterly gigantic which is impressive both for its era and all subsequent games. Morrowind's playabe area is 24 square kilometers while Daggerfall is 161,000 square kilometers.

Other than size its not a very good game and theres a reason they went to Morrowind after Daggerfall

Of course, in order to get that huge size all terrain is featureless nothing with some occasional tree sprites, towns are all identical piles of buildings, and all dungeons are jumbled messes of halls and rooms.

Still, I think if one is a fan of old RPGs it's worth playing through the intro dungeon if only to see the very cool character creator.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pathos posted:

Daggerfall is one of my top 10 games of all time, and I am aboslutely in love with the HD port/remake/whatever Gav clayton is doing (the Unity thing, what you're referring to.

That being said, here are some pros and cons while I try my best to be objective:

Pros:

- It's got a ton of 90s CRPG charm. The music, the graphics, the flow of it all. You can learn LANGUAGES in this game (not actual languages, but your skill in a language is a thing.) Learning the language of a type of enemy increases the chances of them being passive towards you. Like... what if we could talk to the demons?

- It IS massive. If you suspend your disbelief, you can go and just... y'know... live in a specific area never having to leave whatever area you choose (the smallest still being orders of magnitude larger than Skyrim), and just do quests all day long. You know that radiant quest system in Skyrim? Imagine all non-main-quest quests being those, with varying levels of difficulty and complexity.

- Guild chapters! You can become a knight in the Knight's Guild, a Mage in the Mages Guild, a general fighter in the Fighter's Guild, and there are a few others ('We Know') that are more hidden away.

- No hand-holding. No quest markers, the ability to very easily fail a quest, though the main story ones are kind of protected

- Again with the music, but walking out, hearing the snowfall track as snow falls in the game, and the sky is overcast... nothing will ever top that for me.

- The dungeons actually feel like dungeons! Dangerous, numerous, and vast.

Cons:

- No hand-holding. No quest markers, the ability to very easily fail a quest, though the main story ones are kind of protected. :shobon:

- While it's massive, yeah, it's kind of empty. You make your own fun, your own story. What Morrowind had in detail, Daggerfall has in sheer size. A game like Skyrim (or potentially TES 6) gets closer to 'massive AND detailed', but it's still nowhere near as big as TES 2

- Yeah, there are bugs. Aside from the game stopping ones, getting paralyzed by a goddamned spider or scorpion SUCKS. Also, they're gross.

- NPCs are billboarded, unkillable entites. It's weird. You know someone's important when they barely move, if at all, and never change their pose.

- Holy poo poo, most of the dungeons are not just series of hallways, but are ball-bustingly hard as well. I enjoy them, but I completely understand those who don't.

- Terrible controls, though I appreciate and actually like the 'swing your mouse the way you want your character to swing' system.

PROS AGAIN, specifically for the Unity build:

- Mods. People are making mods. There's an archeologists guild, all about going and finding poo poo. No violence necessary (though with Daggerfall, you'll likely need to kill something, at some point). In time, the game will have more and more content added to it, or certain things tweaked. The whole system will be open to anyone who wishes to update, add, or change anything, and even the developer himself said that once he gets to 1:1 feature parity with the original, he might add content.

- Fewer bugs! While Gavin Clayton's mission is to recreate the basic Daggerfall experience in Unity, and therefore he keeps all of the weird idiosyncrasies intact, if there's a game-breaking bug that exists, he fixes it. Right now, there should be far fewer instances of 'falling into the void' and the main quest is 100% complete-able, at the very least with a fighter-type character.

- Better controls, WASD support right off the bat, and 'click to perform best attack' is now an option.

- In addition to gameplay mods, you can now make the game really awesome looking, with accurate, real-time lights, shadows, grass rendering, etc

Anyway, like I said, I love Daggerfall, and I have high hopes for the Unity build. So far, so goddamned good, but I also played the game when it came out, so I'm perhaps biased. It's not for everyone, and I wish it was deeper, but that might actually be taken care of by community-added content down the line.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 11, 2018

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

It mostly looks great, but man, that face is tragic.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah, certain parts would need a manual retouch. But the algorithm is kinda impressive indeed.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I played Daggerfall for 2 months straight in my teens and didn't even touch the main quest. The game is oozing with old school charm and there is so much goofy poo poo you can get up to. A playthrough goes something like this:

- Get sent into insane deathtrap dungeons by the mages guild

- Find out you contracted lycanthropy while barely escaping the dungeon werewolf who was immune to your weapons

- Find out that lycanthropy makes you literally immune to all of the game's guards (and by a quirk of the arrest system also immune to being charged for any crimes)

- Massacre a town or three

- Manage to screw this up anyway and either become a fugitive in a totally different province or get tossed in the slammer for many in-game years

- Finally make rank in the mages guild to get access to the busted spell maker

- Create the most powerful possible Slow Fall spell and take a running jump from the top of the citadel in Sentinel all the way across the Lilac Bay

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

timn posted:

I played Daggerfall for 2 months straight in my teens and didn't even touch the main quest. The game is oozing with old school charm and there is so much goofy poo poo you can get up to. A playthrough goes something like this:

- Get sent into insane deathtrap dungeons by the mages guild

- Find out you contracted lycanthropy while barely escaping the dungeon werewolf who was immune to your weapons

- Find out that lycanthropy makes you literally immune to all of the game's guards (and by a quirk of the arrest system also immune to being charged for any crimes)

- Massacre a town or three

- Manage to screw this up anyway and either become a fugitive in a totally different province or get tossed in the slammer for many in-game years

- Finally make rank in the mages guild to get access to the busted spell maker

- Create the most powerful possible Slow Fall spell and take a running jump from the top of the citadel in Sentinel all the way across the Lilac Bay

All of this is goddamned accurate and wonderful.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Besides the mouth looking kinda goofy im not sure what im supposed to dislike about this

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I always imagined those dark vertical things on its mouth to be tusks of some kind rather than holes. Anyway, as an unapologetic upscaler, I love this treatment.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The way it fills in additional details on stuff like the arm guns is really impressive, but overall it has the same effect as the filters built into GZDoom where it makes me feel like my eyes are trying to focus but just can't. I don't know if it just seems overly smooth from having so few colors to work with or I'm just too used to everything being pixelated.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

All of this is goddamned accurate and wonderful.

Daggerfall was incredible in every way. The thing I remember most is that a particular type of randomly generated dungeon space had an insta kill floor for some reason, despite it looking like regular flagstones. I just had to work around them as best I could, which was tough because it was one of the big multi-level central spaces.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So, for someone that never played Daggerfall, what would I need to play it? Besides base game wich I own through Bethesda's website.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Other than getting confused around the mouth the upscale is pretty creepily accurate:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Guillermus posted:

So, for someone that never played Daggerfall, what would I need to play it? Besides base game wich I own through Bethesda's website.

Either DOSBox, if it isn't bundled with it to begin with; or the aforementioned Daggerfall Unity if you want something a little more modern.

Anyhow, take a look here for other stuff you may want to download.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Daggerfall is basically an overgrown early fps - it's pretty much the next step beyond Bethesda's Terminator FPSes - so it makes sense to discuss in here IMO but there is also a dedicated Elder Scrolls thread for talking about the games and playing them, including the various bugs of Daggerfall: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697061

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Haven't gotten far yet but someone in the CRPG thread linked me this https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files

Been playing the one with the bugfixes plus various questpacks (I think cut content, not new, but I don't mind much either way)

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys. I’m probably going to wait until the Daggerfall Unity engine remake is done (it seems like it’s pretty close...) but I’ll give it a go after that. It sounds fun! Maybe with a walkthrough, though...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pathos posted:

Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys. I’m probably going to wait until the Daggerfall Unity engine remake is done (it seems like it’s pretty close...) but I’ll give it a go after that. It sounds fun! Maybe with a walkthrough, though...

You don't need a walkthrough necessarily, but cheat code-enabled hotkeys like "teleport to dungeon entrance" and "teleport to quest objective in dungeon" are game savers though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ironic that Daggerfall Unity is close to completion since I think the decision to include support for it is what stalled XL Engine development so badly. If Lucius hadn't hosed off to try and integrate an entirely different engine than maybe he would have gotten farther before one of his many "real life challenges" got in the way. I look forward to playing it.

I finished F.E.A.R today. I had a good time, and the game still looks pretty good. I thought the phantoms Alma throws at you during the last sequence were pretty dumb. I'm playing through Extraction Point now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Casimir Radon posted:

Ironic that Daggerfall Unity is close to completion since I think the decision to include support for it is what stalled XL Engine development so badly. If Lucius hadn't hosed off to try and integrate an entirely different engine than maybe he would have gotten farther before one of his many "real life challenges" got in the way. I look forward to playing it.

I finished F.E.A.R today. I had a good time, and the game still looks pretty good. I thought the phantoms Alma throws at you during the last sequence were pretty dumb. I'm playing through Extraction Point now.

Great game. First Encounter Assault Recon, most badass/cheesy/great acronym of the 2000s?