Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

BGVP DM6. Anyone have a set?

Nope. But I think I know what YouTube video you watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

Nope. But I think I know what YouTube video you watched.

The neck puncher dude. Yeah. Thing is I've heard his 'reference' Sony EX1000s and he likes them better. Yeah I ordered them. On the slow boat from china. If they can compete with my Velodyne Vpulse I will be happy as a clam.

I like the fact he seems to have a buttload of gear and has no apparent bias.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

The neck puncher dude. Yeah. Thing is I've heard his 'reference' Sony EX1000s and he likes them better. Yeah I ordered them. On the slow boat from china. If they can compete with my Velodyne Vpulse I will be happy as a clam.

I like the fact he seems to have a buttload of gear and has no apparent bias.

Be interested in your opinion of them once they're in your hands/ears.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I’m trying to nail down some audio issues with my PC. I have an Asrock Z370 Taichi Motherboard and audio Technica ath ad700 headphones. Whenever my GPU load increases in games I get some humming/buzzing on my audio that worsens as load increases. I’ve played with various settings, swapped surge protectors and tried resetting the GPU and the PSU yet it still persists. Motherboard standoffs and screws are also ok, It also happens with a second pair of headphones as well. Googling seems to show that some of these boards have some EMI shielding issues.

My question is would a ground loop isolator or usb DAC like the FiiO E10K help with this issue? The external DAC should bypass the onboard audio and maybe the EMI issues within the case if I’m reading this stuff correctly.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

Be interested in your opinion of them once they're in your hands/ears.

Will definitely report back. I've got 3 sets of chi-fis to compare to, and 4 sets of Velodyne Vpulses. One set of Sony's, A set of Sennheiser open backs and mad studio monitors. If there is something off I think I will notice.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

B-Mac posted:

I’m trying to nail down some audio issues with my PC. I have an Asrock Z370 Taichi Motherboard and audio Technica ath ad700 headphones. Whenever my GPU load increases in games I get some humming/buzzing on my audio that worsens as load increases. I’ve played with various settings, swapped surge protectors and tried resetting the GPU and the PSU yet it still persists. Motherboard standoffs and screws are also ok, It also happens with a second pair of headphones as well. Googling seems to show that some of these boards have some EMI shielding issues.

My question is would a ground loop isolator or usb DAC like the FiiO E10K help with this issue? The external DAC should bypass the onboard audio and maybe the EMI issues within the case if I’m reading this stuff correctly.

Huh, thats weird. I have the same mobo going into some KRK 8" Rokit studio monitors. They have no noise floor at all. Are you running a UPS by chance? Try and bypass it just to see if it helps. That's a bummer though, I am pretty impressed with my boards audio output.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

redeyes posted:

Huh, thats weird. I have the same mobo going into some KRK 8" Rokit studio monitors. They have no noise floor at all. Are you running a UPS by chance? Try and bypass it just to see if it helps. That's a bummer though, I am pretty impressed with my boards audio output.

No UPS. Tried two different surge protectors with the PSU plugged into my kill a watt and without. Just changed out PSU to another EVGA I had laying around and it made it worse. Not terribly impressed with Asrock right now with what this board retails for.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

B-Mac posted:

No UPS. Tried two different surge protectors with the PSU plugged into my kill a watt and without. Just changed out PSU to another EVGA I had laying around and it made it worse. Not terribly impressed with Asrock right now with what this board retails for.

Odd!! I'm trying to think of things that could be causing this. Usually a ground loop is involved and if you were using powered studio monitors, this would cause a loop (just break the ground pin off the power cable). But headphones.. huh. I can think of one thing to try. The board has an automatic resistance checker for the line out/headphone out. You can 'fool' it by plugging in a headphone extension cable first, hit play on your music, then plug the phones into the extension. If I do that I get more power for sure. It might do something to the noise, but I dunno. You don't have any mic's or other line input things do you?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

redeyes posted:

Odd!! I'm trying to think of things that could be causing this. Usually a ground loop is involved and if you were using powered studio monitors, this would cause a loop (just break the ground pin off the power cable). But headphones.. huh. I can think of one thing to try. The board has an automatic resistance checker for the line out/headphone out. You can 'fool' it by plugging in a headphone extension cable first, hit play on your music, then plug the phones into the extension. If I do that I get more power for sure. It might do something to the noise, but I dunno. You don't have any mic's or other line input things do you?

I get noise with headphones plugged directly into motherboard and on the front audio as well. The only mic I have plugged in is the Samson Go Mic which is USB powered. During normal use I have no static or humming, its only when the GPU starts to get loaded, its a MSI Gaming X 1080 ti. I have also tried various versions of the realktek drivers, a few never and some older ones to no avail. All these components worked fine with my previous MSI Z170 SLI board.

Changing back to my new EVGA makes the issue better, but its still present. Im gonna give that ground loop isolator and then the external DAC a try and see how it works. Worst thing I can do is return them if it doesn't fix the problem.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 11, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

B-Mac posted:

Very likely an EMI issue given the circumstances. A USB DAC would absolutely fix your problem, and the E10K would work just fine.

If you're worried about a ground loop, wear shoes, and pick your computer off the ground while listening to your headphones. If the buzzing persists, it's not a ground loop issue (yes, I'm aware that this probably isn't easy to do).

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

B-Mac posted:

I get noise with headphones plugged directly into motherboard and on the front audio as well. The only mic I have plugged in is the Samson Go Mic which is USB powered. During normal use I have no static or humming, its only when the GPU starts to get loaded, its a MSI Gaming X 1080 ti. I have also tried various versions of the realktek drivers, a few never and some older ones to no avail. All these components worked fine with my previous MSI Z170 SLI board.

Changing back to my new EVGA makes the issue better, but its still present. Im gonna give that ground loop isolator and then the external DAC a try and see how it works. Worst thing I can do is return them if it doesn't fix the problem.

Try and unhook the front panel audio connector and see if the hum goes away. Thats about all I got.

[edit] Does that headset have a Microphone? unplug that cable and see if it helps

redeyes fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 11, 2018

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
My $10 Sony earphones broke recently so I'm in the market for something new. Would not mind spending up to $100. I have been looking at Bluetooth earphones for around $40 or so on Amazon for the Anker brand - seems like it has good reviews. There's also the Shure earphones that can be converted to Bluetooth which seems like an awesome feature.

Any recommendations for Bluetooth earphones under $100 that I can buy off of Amazon or should I pay a little more and stick with the Shures?

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

My $10 Sony earphones broke recently so I'm in the market for something new. Would not mind spending up to $100. I have been looking at Bluetooth earphones for around $40 or so on Amazon for the Anker brand - seems like it has good reviews. There's also the Shure earphones that can be converted to Bluetooth which seems like an awesome feature.

Any recommendations for Bluetooth earphones under $100 that I can buy off of Amazon or should I pay a little more and stick with the Shures?

jbl endurance sprint is a pretty good bet. lot of really nice features, fairly balanced sound below 10k hz, and only $50.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

grack posted:

If you're worried about a ground loop, wear shoes, and pick your computer off the ground while listening to your headphones. If the buzzing persists, it's not a ground loop issue (yes, I'm aware that this probably isn't easy to do).

That's beautiful, you need to post it in the audiophile thread.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
But you can only do it with these specially electron balanced hand crafted wooden clogs I will sell you for a mere $2000, currently $1800 with this exclusive limited time discount and stock is very limited.

If you're patient you can wait 12 months for the Audiophile Massdrop Wooden ClogX edition to come out where they will cost only a grand.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

DancingShade posted:

But you can only do it with these specially electron balanced hand crafted wooden clogs I will sell you for a mere $2000, currently $1800 with this exclusive limited time discount and stock is very limited.

If you're patient you can wait 12 months for the Audiophile Massdrop Wooden ClogX edition to come out where they will cost only a grand.

I think I’ll wait for the next gen ClogX Turbos to come out. Funny enough the $13 isolator I got eliminated the hum while my GPU is under load. I’ll still the DAC I ordered a shot when it gets here tomorrow.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Historically, have you guys posted Black Friday deals on decent headphones/headsets here?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Looking for a pair of really comfortable, noise cancelling(?), over-ear headphones. Need them for programming and tuning out the world around me. Budget is $100 at the max. Should I wait for black friday to get a pair?

Was gonna get a pair of the Panasonic retro headphones, but I guess they stopped making them? The few on Amazon are super expensive now.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 15, 2018

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Historically, have you guys posted Black Friday deals on decent headphones/headsets here?

Yep, the constant favorite seems to be the senn hd598c which regularly drops to $99 during BF

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

hope and vaseline posted:

Yep, the constant favorite seems to be the senn hd598c which regularly drops to $99 during BF

How do the open back and closed back differ? I'm not super familiar with the terms.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Cannon_Fodder posted:

How do the open back and closed back differ? I'm not super familiar with the terms.

Open back headphones have little-to-no isolation, in or out. You will hear noises around you, and in a quiet room, others will hear what you’re listening to.

They also generally sound better because they’re easier to design well than a closed set, but the lack of isolation is the trade off

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Closed backs also generally (not always) have better lower bass extension.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

My old headset has given up on life and since the mouse goons were so awesome at recommendations I figure I'd give you cool audio guys a try.

Budget - 100$ might be able to swing 150$ at most. Less would be better.
Source - USB, will only be used for a desktop PC so no need to be portable. Prefer wired.
Isolation Requirements - If it drowns out the TV in the front room, it's good.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full size, Supa-aural is what I've used in the past I think? I do not like things resting on my ears, they need to cup the ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I honestly don't know enough audio stuff to have a preference here. Balanced?
Past Headphones - Currently have a set of Corsair Vengeance 1500s that's about five years old. They worked really well up until they didn't.
Preferred Music - I like classical remixers like 2Cellos and Lindsey Sterling, and rock/alternative hits-of-the-decade.
Extra - This is mainly for gaming/discord, I need a set with a good mic that is comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

eddiewalker posted:

Open back headphones have little-to-no isolation, in or out. You will hear noises around you, and in a quiet room, others will hear what you’re listening to.

They also generally sound better because they’re easier to design well than a closed set, but the lack of isolation is the trade off

DancingShade posted:

Closed backs also generally (not always) have better lower bass extension.

Thanks Team!

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

Looking for a pair of really comfortable, noise cancelling(?), over-ear headphones. Need them for programming and tuning out the world around me. Budget is $100 at the max. Should I wait for black friday to get a pair?

Was gonna get a pair of the Panasonic retro headphones, but I guess they stopped making them? The few on Amazon are super expensive now.

get a pair of Sony WH-900N's. they're super cheap, and the sound quality is great for a noise cancelling closed back.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 15, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Conversation in another thread prompted me to finally ask here, especially with Black Friday coming up.

Budget - ~$200, tops.
Source - USB/game controller. Wireless option would be nice.
Isolation Requirements - Little to none, I only wear headphones at home.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full size.

The other categories I don't know much about, but comfort is the major issue here - I wear glasses with big fat earpieces, and after an hour of headphone use it feels like someone is very gently driving nails into the sides of my head. I've tried stretching out the cans I have now, buying supposedly "comfortable" headphones at a lower price point (Ghostek soDrop 2's, they're actually very nice but didn't alleviate the pain), getting newer and thinner glasses, nothing worked. I just want to play games and surf the Web at high volumes without running the risk of pissing off people in the apartments adjacent to mine.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Are $23 Koss Porta-Pro’s a decent option for disposable exercise headphones? I can’t stand how IEM’s feel.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Not mentioned was the fitment. The 598c feel a little tighter all around. The earpads are definitely firmer.
But overall the 598se sound a little more clear, especially in the midrange. The 598c have deeper, tighter bass. Not as boomy as you'd expect.
They're also easier to drive than the 598se so your cellphone is more likely to make them play louder.
Also the C comes with 2 cables: one that has media controls and a mic and a longer cable. My SE's came with 2 cables, one had a 1/4" end and the other was 1/8"

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Rock My Socks! posted:

Are $23 Koss Porta-Pro’s a decent option for disposable exercise headphones? I can’t stand how IEM’s feel.

Yes, but they also sound good enough that you won't consider them disposable.

VVV Edit: The KSC75s share a driver with the KTX-Pro1, not the Porta-Pros

grack fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 17, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rock My Socks! posted:

Yes, they're fantastic. Also, the KSC75 has the same driver and is smaller and more portable.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I still can't believe those Porta Pros are still for sale. I literally bought a pair in like 1987! They did last at least 10 years from what I remember.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

thinking about putting my Hifiman Sundara's and Sennheiser PXC550's up for sale. any interest?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Shopping around for headphones that don't mess up my hair and settled on the ATH-A550Z which I got yesterday. The wings design is great for my hair and they sound nice but I'm still not sure if I want to stick with these for a few reasons:

* Headphones are huge so portability is going to be a problem
* They're not very isolating so people can hear my music when it's turned up
* Sound is pretty neutral in comparison to my SE215 IEMs

I'm heading overseas for 2 weeks so I'm going to trial them on the trip as I might just need to give them some time. Are there any double band headphones that would be worth considering switching over to?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ashex posted:

Shopping around for headphones that don't mess up my hair and settled on the ATH-A550Z which I got yesterday. The wings design is great for my hair and they sound nice but I'm still not sure if I want to stick with these for a few reasons:

* Headphones are huge so portability is going to be a problem
You'll want to invest in an aftermarket hard shell storage case.

Ashex posted:

* They're not very isolating so people can hear my music when it's turned up
You are probably going to go deaf early in life.

Ashex posted:

* Sound is pretty neutral in comparison to my SE215 IEMs
SE215s are some of the bassiest IEMs out there. If all you want is something portable, over-ear and "all the bass nothing else" get a Skullcandy crusher/hesh.

M50X aside, Audio-Technica are well known for producing relatively neutral headphones that lean towards a bright airy sound signature. If that isn't what you want then you've got the wrong headphones.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 20, 2018

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

DancingShade posted:

You'll want to invest in an aftermarket hard shell storage case.

You are probably going to go deaf early in life.

SE215s are some of the bassiest IEMs out there. If all you want is something portable, over-ear and "all the bass nothing else" get a Skullcandy crusher/hesh.

M50X aside, Audio-Technica are well known for producing relatively neutral headphones that lean towards a bright airy sound signature. If that isn't what you want then you've got the wrong headphones.

Yeah, my friend mentioned she could hear my music but it was in a pretty quiet room so there's that but fair point about going deaf. I guess it's not fair to compare them to IEMs but these feel very light in the bass range.

I picked these as the wings design seemed to be a good choice for my afrohawk which gets crushed by regular headphones and the reviews were all pretty solid.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just got the BGVP DM6's. Problem is my wife yelled at me and wont let me open them until xmas. Goddammit. No reviews any time soon.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jumping in on the "old phones gave up the ghost" wagon.

Budget - $100 preferrably, can work around to some extent.
Source - S9+, computer, digital guitar amp.
Isolation Requirements - some preferred, but not a hard requirement.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over the ear, for sure. Already have a good pair of earbuds.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced/open.
Past Headphones - ATH M20s that have given up, various earbuds, right now 1more triple-driver.
Music - Pretty much everything, leaning more towards jazz.

The only complaints I had about the M20's were the coiled cord and the crumbling earpads after a year or so of use-which seems to be a rather common problem. But now the cord's geting intermittent, so it's time for a replacement/upgrade. Really liked the.... openness of the soundstage they had? Felt like there was a lot of space to everything.

E: Forgot to add, definitely looking for a wired pair-really rather not worry about forgetting to charge yet another thing.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 21, 2018

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Just musing on stuff here - thinking of a headphone DAQ/amp and wonder what/if it's a useful idea.

Current headphones are ATH-M50s which I love, but kind of want more. Musical selection varies but an important component is thumpy industrial stuff - but current source is the onboard sound chip on my desktop. Am I going to see a noticeable benefit to going to a better DAQ/amp thing? Budget under $100 preferably - more means that I won't get it soon.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

redeyes posted:

I just got the BGVP DM6's. Problem is my wife yelled at me and wont let me open them until xmas. Goddammit. No reviews any time soon.
lemme guess she also "let" you buy them with your own money you make lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Varg posted:

lemme guess she also "let" you buy them with your own money you make lol

In this economy?