Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm researching components to upgrade my Plex server, and decied I want to migrate the OS and Plex server software onto an NVMe drive. I am mostly going to purchase the components from my local Micro Center and came across this 512GB gen3 x2 drive for only $90: https://www.microcenter.com/product/505058/512gb-3d-nand-m2-2280-pcie-nvme-gen-3-x2-internal-solid-state-drive-(512g)

Am I missing something other than the brand and it being x2 instead of x4? Is that why it's cheaper? Quick google search tells me the OEM is Phison, and TweakTown seems to think they're pretty good (https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8477/phison-e8-512gb-2-nvme-pcie-ssd-preview/index8.html). I can get a Samsung 960 500GB for $120 or an Intel 760p 256GB for $70, but I'm trying to see where I could save a few dollars here and there while maximizing space on the system drive (other components I'm settling on are a Ryzen 3 2200g and a B450 based mainboard).

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Nah, that's about it. x2 instead of x4 is really odd, since there's no real reason to have it cut down like that. Mostly it's about the brand-name, though--you can grab mid-level named (ADATA, HP, etc) 1TB 2280 NVMe drives for <$200 regularly now, so a sub-$100 512GB tracks. If anything, I might actually recommend you look for one of the ADATA or HP ones, since at least those are more likely to actually be able to provide warranty support should you have issues.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

teagone posted:

I'm researching components to upgrade my Plex server, and decied I want to migrate the OS and Plex server software onto an NVMe drive. I am mostly going to purchase the components from my local Micro Center and came across this 512GB gen3 x2 drive for only $90: https://www.microcenter.com/product/505058/512gb-3d-nand-m2-2280-pcie-nvme-gen-3-x2-internal-solid-state-drive-(512g)

Am I missing something other than the brand and it being x2 instead of x4? Is that why it's cheaper? Quick google search tells me the OEM is Phison, and TweakTown seems to think they're pretty good (https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8477/phison-e8-512gb-2-nvme-pcie-ssd-preview/index8.html). I can get a Samsung 960 500GB for $120 or an Intel 760p 256GB for $70, but I'm trying to see where I could save a few dollars here and there while maximizing space on the system drive (other components I'm settling on are a Ryzen 3 2200g and a B450 based mainboard).

There's nothing really wrong with that SSD; I think it's identical to a MyDigitalSSD one if I'm not mistaken. The 2-lane limit isn't going to make a difference, and even being NVMe won't either. My current PMS is on a SATA SSD and it's perfect, so going up to NVMe isn't going to help or hurt. On Rakuten, however, the Adata SX8200 is a good 4-lane NVMe drive that's regularly available for under $100 for 480 GB and under $200 for 960 GB (when in stock of course, and when they have seemingly monthly ~15% off discounts.)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

No idea why they didn't just make a NVMe version of the MX500.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Atomizer posted:

There's nothing really wrong with that SSD; I think it's identical to a MyDigitalSSD one if I'm not mistaken. The 2-lane limit isn't going to make a difference, and even being NVMe won't either. My current PMS is on a SATA SSD and it's perfect, so going up to NVMe isn't going to help or hurt. On Rakuten, however, the Adata SX8200 is a good 4-lane NVMe drive that's regularly available for under $100 for 480 GB and under $200 for 960 GB (when in stock of course, and when they have seemingly monthly ~15% off discounts.)

DrDork posted:

Nah, that's about it. x2 instead of x4 is really odd, since there's no real reason to have it cut down like that. Mostly it's about the brand-name, though--you can grab mid-level named (ADATA, HP, etc) 1TB 2280 NVMe drives for <$200 regularly now, so a sub-$100 512GB tracks. If anything, I might actually recommend you look for one of the ADATA or HP ones, since at least those are more likely to actually be able to provide warranty support should you have issues.

Thanks for the info. Looks like the 512GB HP EX920 is $99.99 on newegg atm. WIll probably get that. SATA or NVMe SSD, either one will be a huge step up from my Plex server's current 1TB WD Blue HDD being used as the OS/system disk. Figure since I'm replacing the mainboard in the upgrade, I might as well make use of the NVMe slot that's on the boards I'm looking at.

[edit] Oh, welp the Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD is only $117.99 right now on newegg.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 10, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

No idea why they didn't just make a NVMe version of the MX500.

Well they do have an NVMe drive, the P1....

teagone posted:

Thanks for the info. Looks like the 512GB HP EX920 is $99.99 on newegg atm. WIll probably get that. SATA or NVMe SSD, either one will be a huge step up from my Plex server's current 1TB WD Blue HDD being used as the OS/system disk. Figure since I'm replacing the mainboard in the upgrade, I might as well make use of the NVMe slot that's on the boards I'm looking at.

[edit] Oh, welp the Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD is only $117.99 right now on newegg.

The EX920 is basically a substitute for the SX8200, and either is fine at that price. Samsung's drives are certainly good but not worth any substantial price premium. Any SSD would definitely be an upgrade over your HDD, though. And yes, I agree that you might as well populate all your m.2 slots with SSDs because you could then add HDDs via SATA ports to fit as many drives as possible should you need the capacity.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

teagone posted:

I'm trying to see where I could save a few dollars here and there while maximizing space on the system drive (other components I'm settling on are a Ryzen 3 2200g and a B450 based mainboard).

Considering that NVMe is completely overkill for a media server, you could save money pretty easily by just buying a regular sata ssd?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Klyith posted:

Considering that NVMe is completely overkill for a media server, you could save money pretty easily by just buying a regular sata ssd?

I mean I could, sure. But like Atomizer said, I might as well populate the turbo/ultra M.2 slot with an NVMe SSD that's available on the motherboard and utilize the SATA connectors for my bulk storage. My Plex server currently has 5 SATA drives already connected, 1 of those SATA drives being the OS/system drive. The motherboard I'm looking at has an NVMe slot, a regular SATA M.2 slot, and 4 regular SATA connectors. My plan is to migrate the OS/system drive to an NVMe SSD, and then transfer over the rest of my SATA drives. That leaves me with another SATA M.2 for storage expansion later on.

[edit] I guess I might also see some added benefit of having my Plex database on an NVMe SSD? Maybe metadata and stuff will load faster?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Definitely put the PMS installation on an SSD, it will indeed load all of the artwork and metadata faster than from an HDD, especially the more simultaneous users you have; SSDs are perfect for this sort of random-access workload. It won't make a difference between a SATA and NVMe SSD, though.

I'll also add that if you run out of internal space for drives, Plex works just fine pulling media from USB HDDs.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Atomizer posted:

I'll also add that if you run out of internal space for drives, Plex works just fine pulling media from USB HDDs.

Oh yeah, I have two external drives connected to my server. I eventually want to shuck those two externals and throw them inside the server since the case has room for plenty of 3.5" drives. Just need to get one of those PCIe SATA card things. Also need to get one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DGZ42SM/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 to make use of the 3 5.25" bays not doing anything for more drive expansion.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just how many people do you expect to have access to it at any one time?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

oohhboy posted:

Just how many people do you expect to have access to it at any one time?

Not including myself or my roommate, I consistently have 4-5 concurrent streams, each between 2-4 Mbps as the server is currently limited by a ~15Mbps upload connection. I moved to a new place that has a 100/100 connection but haven't taken my Plex server with me just yet. Once the server is upgraded and on the 100Mbps connection, I plan on sharing it with a few more friends, so I expect on high volume days that the server will be accessed by maybe 8 to 10 people at once?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

That should still be fine in terms of hosting the server installation on even just a SATA SSD because it's not like you're going to have 10 people simultaneously browsing titles and pulling metadata, they're mostly going to be streaming content from the HDDs.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.

teagone posted:

Just need to get one of those PCIe SATA card things.

For your use case, consider an LSI SAS host bus adapter with some SAS->SATA fanout cables. Just need to make sure that it's flashed to IT mode (or just a model that doesn't support hardware RAID in the first place) unless you want to use hardware RAID on it. I got this one and it works well in my Unraid server. Reliable and fast (you could attach 8 SATA SSDs to it and run them all at max speed at the same time, if you wanted to, so it has more than enough bandwidth for platter drives), and a lot of expandability (out of the box with SAS->SATA fanout cables you can plug 8 SATA drives into it, and with port multipliers it can support up to 256 attached disks). Also the cabling inside my server is a lot less messy now.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Kairos posted:

For your use case, consider an LSI SAS host bus adapter with some SAS->SATA fanout cables. Just need to make sure that it's flashed to IT mode (or just a model that doesn't support hardware RAID in the first place) unless you want to use hardware RAID on it. I got this one and it works well in my Unraid server. Reliable and fast (you could attach 8 SATA SSDs to it and run them all at max speed at the same time, if you wanted to, so it has more than enough bandwidth for platter drives), and a lot of expandability (out of the box with SAS->SATA fanout cables you can plug 8 SATA drives into it, and with port multipliers it can support up to 256 attached disks). Also the cabling inside my server is a lot less messy now.

If you don’t mind me asking, which LSI card did you use? I have several 4-port consumer cards currently in my NAS and would like a little cleaner setup.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.

JnnyThndrs posted:

If you don’t mind me asking, which LSI card did you use? I have several 4-port consumer cards currently in my NAS and would like a little cleaner setup.

I have an HP H220, which is a rebranded LSI 9207-8i. I bought one off of eBay that the seller had flashed to the LSI firmware (which is better because the HP firmware has dumb limitations on how many drives you can connect to it for the sake of selling customers higher-priced versions of the exact same hardware with fewer limitations).

Here's a big list of different models of LSI cards on the ServeTheHome forums. The most popular card is the LSI 9211-8i, and most people flash that to IT mode (which disables the RAID controller on the card and just passes the disks through to the system individually, and unless you know for sure that you definitely want to use hardware RAID you want to disable it).

I got the one I got partly because it's a PCIe 3.0 card instead of a PCIe 2.0 card, so it has more bandwidth and felt more "future proof" to me, but it doesn't matter that much. And I got it from the seller I got it from because I didn't want to bother flashing the card myself; there are guides on how to do it out there and it didn't look too awful but sufficiently annoying that I was willing to pay a little bit extra to not have to bother. Also, as a bit of forewarning, flashing the rebranded cards is apparently sometimes trickier than the LSI-brand cards. And as another warning, apparently some of the LSI-branded cards on eBay these days (particularly the "new" ones) are actually counterfeit cards made in shady factories in China that don't mind silkscreening some other company's logo onto something. These may or may not work fine, but I didn't want to find out. The rebranded cards from HP and IBM and Dell or whatever don't really have this going on because people aren't really getting pointed toward them by "build your own NAS" guides on the Internet like they are with the 9211-8i.

If you have that many cards you might want to find a -16i card (which has four SAS ports on it, which fan out to 16 SATA connectors with cables like these) or just get a SAS expander like this (the two ports on the bottom of the card can have cables plugged into them from the HBA, and the other ports on the card can then be plugged into hard drives; this splits the bandwidth of each of the lanes on the card, but for platter drives this basically doesn't matter).

Kairos fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 11, 2018

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kairos posted:

I do remember a goon mentioning to get one of those when I had asked about PCIe SATA cards. Probably was in the short hardware questions thread. Forgot about that, so thanks for reminding me :) And yeah, I'll likely add one of those adapters when I decide to get the server cage thing for the 5.25" bays in my server.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I always try and buy a mobo with like 10 SATA ports for my NAS. Works fine but I suppose a PCIe card is less than a new mobo.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Kairos posted:

I have an HP H220, which is a rebranded LSI 9207-8i. I bought one off of eBay that the seller had flashed to the LSI firmware (which is better because the HP firmware has dumb limitations on how many drives you can connect to it for the sake of selling customers higher-priced versions of the exact same hardware with fewer limitations).

Here's a big list of different models of LSI cards on the ServeTheHome forums. The most popular card is the LSI 9211-8i, and most people flash that to IT mode (which disables the RAID controller on the card and just passes the disks through to the system individually, and unless you know for sure that you definitely want to use hardware RAID you want to disable it).

I got the one I got partly because it's a PCIe 3.0 card instead of a PCIe 2.0 card, so it has more bandwidth and felt more "future proof" to me, but it doesn't matter that much. And I got it from the seller I got it from because I didn't want to bother flashing the card myself; there are guides on how to do it out there and it didn't look too awful but sufficiently annoying that I was willing to pay a little bit extra to not have to bother. Also, as a bit of forewarning, flashing the rebranded cards is apparently sometimes trickier than the LSI-brand cards. And as another warning, apparently some of the LSI-branded cards on eBay these days (particularly the "new" ones) are actually counterfeit cards made in shady factories in China that don't mind silkscreening some other company's logo onto something. These may or may not work fine, but I didn't want to find out. The rebranded cards from HP and IBM and Dell or whatever don't really have this going on because people aren't really getting pointed toward them by "build your own NAS" guides on the Internet like they are with the 9211-8i.

If you have that many cards you might want to find a -16i card (which has four SAS ports on it, which fan out to 16 SATA connectors with cables like these) or just get a SAS expander like this (the two ports on the bottom of the card can have cables plugged into them from the HBA, and the other ports on the card can then be plugged into hard drives; this splits the bandwidth of each of the lanes on the card, but for platter drives this basically doesn't matter).

Awesome, thanks for all the info. My current NAS is a giant bunch of outdated surplus hardware(think Core2 Quad w/SATA II cards) thrown together, and while it works OK, I’d like to replace it with something purpose-built.

Using an SAS card good for 8 SATA drives should do the trick; I’m currently using a bunch of 2tb drives but will be going to larger capacity drives since I won’t be hamstrung by a 32 bit OS.

Sorry for the derail, forgot what thread I was in.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

redeyes posted:

I always try and buy a mobo with like 10 SATA ports for my NAS. Works fine but I suppose a PCIe card is less than a new mobo.

A kind goon PM'd me after perusing this thread and offered me an LSI card leftover from a server pull for only cost of shipping :3:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

A kind goon PM'd me after perusing this thread and offered me an LSI card leftover from a server pull for only cost of shipping :3:

Now that is a deal I wouldn't pass up. Goons rock.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

:popeye: SU800 2 TB 2.5" for $~221 after code AD39. :eyepop: It's a slightly better drive than the Micron 1100 (which is an OEM MX300; the SU800 has a different controller and a retail warranty.)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Well, that's more credence towards the thought that SSDs are going to hit $0.08-0.10/GB.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
gently caress.... I'll have to deal with this microscopic 1TB drive for a while longer though...

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
My 500GB SSDs are both nearly full, probably gonna pull the trigger on the first good $0.10/gig deal I see.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

My 500GB SSDs are both nearly full, probably gonna pull the trigger on the first good $0.10/gig deal I see.

1 TB for $100 gogogo

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah that's not the only $0.10C/GB deal I've seen today either

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Oh, what else is there?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I mean this is not likely to be something you'd want to buy but it's the first day I've hopped on PC Part Picker and seen a sub 10c/GB price appear in the search.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B5BRIF8/?tag=pcpapi-20

Less than a year ago I wasn't able to find anything below 20c/GB, NAND prices have really dropped off quickly.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 15, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress that poo poo, get this poo poo: https://www.amazon.com/2-5-inch-SSD...s=2tb+ssd&psc=1

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

I mean this is not likely to be something you'd want to buy but it's the first day I've hopped on PC Part Picker and seen a sub 10c/GB price appear in the search.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B5BRIF8/?tag=pcpapi-20

Less than a year ago I wasn't able to find anything below 20c/GB, NAND prices have really dropped off quickly.

Uh did you even click on that link dude?! Third-party sellers only, currently $460 for 256 GB. :psyboom:

And yes, NAND flash has been plummeting in price due to a surplus and is predicted to continue that trend through next year.

I had not thought to check pcpartpicker before, because I keep an eye on a deals thread and they catch pretty much everything, but the actual cheapest SSDs on that list are the usual suspects: Team L5, Inland Pro, Adata SU650. Still nothing close to that Centon. (And when we talk about these low-price-per-GB deals I generally assume we're talking about high-capacity drives, e.g. 1 TB-class or at least 500 GB, because I don't care how cheap a 256 GB one is, I'm not putting like 8 of those in a system to get a substantial amount of storage.)

And note that while there are no reviews of that specific Centon model, and very few details available, it still might be worth a shot at that price and with a 5-year warranty. I'm assuming those C380 drives were for ODMs, because they're a few years old based on the hardware and have been under the radar for most of this time, so they must've been offered in maybe business laptops or something. Note there's a 960 GB version in addition to this 1 TB one for sale now (both have been offered in the past,) so I'd assume the former maybe has TLC with extra overprovisioning? The 480 GB version, also note, was re-branded under Inland Pro, and it got good reviews from users, however now they're selling a totally different drive (a DRAMless Toshiba) under the same model name for the same price (roughly, as it's been decreasing steadily over the past several months.) It does have DRAM as specified, although half the expected amount (1k NAND : 1 DRAM) is still better than nothing. It also likely has 2D MLC, which is probably even preferable to 3D TLC.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Sold out

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

No it's not, I just checked....

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
These are all garbage sata drives

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Where is my 4tb NVMe drive

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

How much is that gonna cost you, son?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Atomizer posted:

How much is that gonna cost you, son?

The old adage used to be "your firstborn," but no one should be having children so....

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Malcolm XML posted:

Right here: https://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-rSSD7101B-4TB-NVMe-Drive/dp/B078C5ZYDZ

Edit - Although if you part it out yourself you could get 8tb of NVME for only $2,761.04. http://a.co/ePBVJSw

Krailor fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 16, 2018

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Edit: The price changed

Rusty fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

B&H is having a sale on 860 EVOs + T5

Samsung 500GB 860 EVO SATA III 2.5" Internal SSD $72.99
Samsung 1TB 860 EVO SATA III 2.5" Internal SSD $127.99
Samsung 2TB 860 EVO SATA III 2.5" Internal SSD $297.99
Samsung 500GB T5 Portable Solid-State Drive (Blue) $97.99

https://slickdeals.net/f/12281740-samsung-860-evo-ssd-s-500gb-73-1tb-128-2tb-298-500gb-t5-portable-98

Edit: Samsung.com have 1TB M2 860 EVOs on sale for $129.99 as well but B&H doesnt charge taxes to most places, Samsung does. It's about $11 more for me with the taxes but I'm still kinda tempted to buy that one now.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...20d00900a1c0e0d

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 18, 2018