Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Might be a couple days for the next update, internet is down at my place and no clue when it will be fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Might be a couple days for the next update, internet is down at my place and no clue when it will be fixed.

I know how that is. Looking forward to it no matter how long it takes.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I got around two chapters into every party member and just petered out.

Still really fun. I hope they make another.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Music: The Flatlands

This is a micro-update. I'll be doing a lot of these during the course of this Let's Play.

Today we'll be doing our first side quest (Side Story in this game), and it is a rather unique one. This side story always happens as soon as your starting character leaves their city for the first time. They'll all run into the same person, this particular character.

A monster came out of nowhere, and it got me in the leg. I can hardly put any weight on it.

Characters with side stories have an orange speech bubble and an orange indicator on the radar.

Not all characters can be affected by path actions.

This is a simple one. A Healing Grape is a trivial cost.

I dare say you need this more than I! Here.

I can't thank you enough. I'd have been done for if you hadn't come along!

I'm on a journey to find my father. He disappeared when I was just a boy.

Your characters are silent protagonists when it comes to side stories. That would make things boring, though, so let's take advantage of this...

Indeed I am! I seek wisdom and knowledge, to learn everything I can learn, so that I may share it with others.

Be safe, and may your travels bring you all that you seek.

As to you! Good luck on your journey, and farewell!

There are 101 total Side Stories in Octopath Traveler. This is the only one that changes depending on character, all the rest are in static areas.

There are numerous ways to solve these using our various Path Actions, and many of these even have two different ways to be solved! I aim to show off all possibly ways to solve a Side Story.

And of course, there are rewards for completing these, and some are pretty good! More money certainly doesn't hurt here.

As I said, this is a short one! Next time, we'll explore the Flatlands before traveling through the Riverlands to recruit our next companion...

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Kit :argh:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So what I'm getting from all these posts is that Kit was just "baby's first sidequest" to teach players how they work, and we will never see him again.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

So what I'm getting from all these posts is that Kit was just "baby's first sidequest" to teach players how they work, and we will never see him again.

Exactly, that's why two of the emptyquotes are from people with Octopath avatars.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

That was an easy one! Luckily Tressa's close by, so we'll head over to the town of Rippletide to recruit her shortly.

Music: The Flatlands

Let's explore a bit before we continue on.

Signs are very useful, as it's not always clear which direction leads where, though at least here it's a bit obvious.

Occasionally there may be a NPC or two wandering about, but the Flatlands don't really have any wanderers.

There's a variety of fauna to exterminate, of course. Aggressive Ants hurt a good bit, but they're weak to staves and thus go down easily.

Generally for the Chapter 1 regions the enemies of an area will be weak to the weapons and elements of that character and also the two adjacent characters.

Noxroot is one of the components to Concoct, and one we can buy in some towns. Others can only be obtained from end-battle rewards, stealing them from enemies, or stealing/buying them from NPCs.

Most, if not all Chapter 1 areas have a side dungeon that essentially bridge the level gaps between Chapter 1 and Chapter 2. We won't even think of tackling these until we have a full party.

Most of the enemies in the Flatlands will be Froggen. They don't really have much in the way of attacks yet.

Noblecourt is one of the Chapter 2 towns, and if we tried to get there we'd probably get crushed, especially at this low a level.

You can see where the Frostlands begin. That'll be for another time though, for now let's head back.

There are different tiers of the Grapes/Plums/Olives, as you may expect.

There are several tiers for most enemies, but for "palette" swaps they actually have new sprites.

Also we can fight pigs. Sure, why not.

I could not resist.

Another Concoct component, one we cannot buy.

That's the Flatlands! Two whole screens, not much of note. But that's why we're just breezing through these.

Music: The Coastlands

Feel that ocean breeze! Definitely an interesting contrast between the sprite aesthetic and the modern graphical touches on things like the lightning and the water.

Boosts Physical Attack. Kiiiiinda pointless for Cyrus.

The terrain changes are pretty sudden between regions. It's a JRPG, what did you expect?

This is a Sea Birdian I, an avian archer.

A nice touch is the water occasionally splashing in the foreground. I never actually noticed that until getting screenshots for the footage!

Most foes are pretty simple attack-wise. This one's weak to fire and lightning, at least.

The main purpose of doing these updates is to show off the amazing scenery.

Here's Tier II!

And here's a Hermit Conch.

This one actually does something besides attack! This fella likes to start battles with Hide in Shell, which buffs its physical and magical defenses for three turns. The defensive buffs reduce total damage by 1/3, while the respective attack buffs boost that damage by 1/2. There are also stat buffs for Speed, Evasion, Critical Hits, and Accuracy up that also seem to boost by 1/2, though these haven't been tested so it's more speculative.

And of course there are a lot more buffs than that, but all in due time.

You're not guaranteed to run, and it's harder to run away from higher-level enemies. Ophilia has a late-ish passive that boosts run chance, at least.

The dungeon here is, uh, one we won't be visiting anytime soon. I go in and out solely to add them to the world map for future reference.

If you're feeling daring, you could try to make a quick run into one of these for loot, hoping you don't trigger any encounters, and then fast travel out immediately after getting something, but generally the good stuff will be deep in the dungeon.

Oh

Caits are this game's Metal Slimes. They run away quickly, have very high evasion, and their only weaknesses are weapons, but if you can kill them before they flee, you can get a lot of experience.

A Medium-tier Soulstone is enough to kill one, and I do have one from Scrutinizing every living thing in Atlasdam, but it'd be kind of a waste for only Cyrus to get experience at this point, especially since he's generally going to be overleveled compared to the rest of my party anyway.

All that wandering around gets me to 100JP, which means it's time for a new ability!

As I planned before, I picked up Analyze, bumping up my next ability to a whopping 500JP cost. But with my fourth ability, I now unlock my first passive skill!

This ability cuts down on random encounters significantly, making exploring trivial and allowing me to beeline dungeons and other areas much more easily than before, if I feel so inclined. I also like it because it means my team's going to be underleveled, which means I'll be forced to use more tactics and keep boss battles interesting.

On to the next screen!

Enjoy more scenery.

Boosts Magic Attack. Now this is something Cyrus loves.

Going further south would take us to Cobbleston, where Olberic resides.

Instead, we'll be heading to the west, toward our next destination, and our next character.

Next time, we begin Tressa's story!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

TRESSA TIME!! :neckbeard:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Does this game have "platforming" or jumping? I'm just wondering how you're getting to all these treasure chests.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

No platforming, there's just a lot of twisting paths and walking behind things. Sometimes it's pretty tricky to figure out how to reach a chest!

I can go a bit further in detail once I do Tressa's dungeon.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

They use foreground and background elements to great effect in this game! The HD-Retro style is so good.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The sprites really remind me of Final Fantasy VI, just with a little more detail and more motion.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Music: A Sea Breeze Blows

We've finally arrived at the sleepy little port of Rippletide.

Our companions have green text boxes to indicate that they'll join us once we help them with their own quests.

I'm getting everybody's things back, no matter what it takes!

So the idea is to help Tressa out with her Chapter 1 quest, and then she'll join with us for the rest of the game. Same for everyone else, really.

We're going to be locked into her quest once we do this, but all these chapters are the same length of 60-90 minutes, so it's no big deal.

You can see everything in one playthrough. If you've played before, you can just say "no" and go ahead to the next dungeon. But saying "yes" will let us see Tressa's story as if we picked her as our main character.

Suffice to say, I'll be showing off everyone's stories, so let's begin!

-----

Video: Smiley, Mannerly, and Early

This is Tressa, the merchant.

She helps run a shop with her parents. She's the only protagonist whose birth parents are probably still alive. Go figure.

Looks like our number one employee is ready for another day of work!

Sure am! And I'll start by stocking up the store.

Tell me: what're the three things a merchant needs most?

You're too clever for me, Tressa. Now off ye go!
Leave it to me, Pa!

Oh, those pirates have been causin' trouble around the tavern lately. If you see them, you make sure to keep a wide berth, you hear?

Marina's great if only for her thick Midwestern accent.

She reminds me of myself when I was that age. Always running off somewhere, wanting to prove myself a full-fledged merchant.
Don't flatter yourself, dear. Our Tressa is something special.

-----

It's time for a day in the life of Tressa.

One of these chests have an item that can inflict poison.

To progress, we just have to go west.

Ye even beat some fishermen to the pier.
Hehe. Don't sound so surprised! We both know the early bird gets the worm. Or, in our case, the fish!
Yer darn right it does. Well, here's the catch of the mornin'.

Blue marlin, I see. A big one, too. With lots of good meat on its bones...

It's worth a li'l more than that. This one's a whopper!
I guess I'll just have to take my business elsewhere then.

...Fine. Ye got yerself a deal, missy.

Tressa's still young, but she's already showing a natural talent for trade.

Yer a born natural at negotiatin'. I was wrong to underestimate ye.
Ya got that right! I may not look like much, but I can haggle with the best of 'em.

I won't! Thanks again!

For this one, we'll be using Tressa's Path Action, Purchase.

Here's our guy.

NPCs have a set few items to buy (or steal if you're so inclined). Once they're obtained, that's it. That said, you can get good discounts on some items doing this, and there's a lot of items and equipment you can only get from NPCs.

Unlike the other Noble-path NPCs, Tressa has no limitations to what she can buy other than how much money she has. That said, some of these items can get quite expensive...

There's a chance of Tressa automatically haggling a lower price after buying something. It's random, but it's always pleasant to see after plopping down 30,000 leaves on a new sword.

NPCs have unique dialogue when you Purchase from them, followed by Tressa's trademark "Always looking for a bargain!". I'll show off the more interesting ones as I come across them.

-----

Video: New Ship in the Harbor

A deal so good it was practically a steal! This oughta liven up our little shop!

Just me, Ma, and Pa... If I don't take over, who will?

The ocean is so vast...

What do I really want to do? What do I really want in life?

Tressa's young and has lived her whole life in Rippletide. It makes sense she has a desire to see the world and make a name for herself, though she also feels obligated to stay and help her parents, and perhaps she hasn't gained the courage yet to make that one big step...

SILENCE

But enough idle daydreams, something interesting is going on in sleepy Rippletide!

Naturally, Tressa is inclined to check it out.

But it carries a delectable scent. Its cuisine may be promising.

Indeed, and I am its captain.

A pleasure to meet you.
I'm sure you have all kinds of neat cargo onboard.

I'd love to see what you've brought from overseas.

You have a true merchant's eye, lass. You gaze at a simple trading ship as if it were made of solid gold.

Some commotion starts happening off-screen.

What was that!? I'll go check it out!

Time to investigate.

Music: An Ill Omen

That's all I have left...

We got nothin' left ourselves. Ain't that right, Makk?

Please, have mercy...

There be only one cap'n around here. And it be me.
Hah! Everyone knows I be the cap'n and yer me first mate.
We'll see about that, Makk, ye scurvy swine!
Aye, we will, Mikk, ye scabby-bottomed sea bass!

...Fine. Now show us what other treasure ye be hidin'!

Says me! The people here are merchants and fishermen doing all they can to put food on the table.

How's this for heart? I'll give ye one chance to shove off, kid.
But I-
Best to be on yer way, li'l one. We're doin' grown-up business here.

Well, well. What ye got there, kid?
It's rainbow wine! And it be ours now!

Hey!
A brat like ye wouldn't appreciate it none anyways.
We're doin' ye a right favor by takin' it off yer hands. Now say "thank ye."

You've got pluck, I'll give you that. But they don't look like the types who'll listen to reason, savvy?
That lily-livered scalawag knows what he's talkin' about, kid. Best take his advice to heart.

Aye, it's been a bloody pleasure.

Alas, it seems the pirate scum have won this one.

SILENCE

Not even the best merchant can buy back his life once it's taken from him.
I know, but...

Instead, they're holed up in the Caves of Maiya, west of town.

So, do you think Tressa's going to sit back and let this happen?

Of course not. Tressa's going to take justice in her own hands.

Though it's probably a good thing that captain from before is in her way.

Captain...
If I didn't know better, I'd say you were setting a course straight for the pirates' den. Awfully rash, wouldn't you say?
I know, but...
And still you intend to go, I see.

And a weapon, of course. You wouldn't dare go empty-handed, would you? Only a fool would think they could haggle their wares back from dastardly pirates.

Those poor people might starve if they don't get their belongings back!

R-really?
Aye. If you're so determined, I won't stop you...

How so?
I'm willing to part with some of my wares if you think they'll prove useful on your journey.

We've got three merchants to buy from now.

You'll want to take a close look at the wares of my fellow merchants here.

The idea is to find that one particular item to give Tressa an advantage against the pirates.

Tree Nuts and Candy restore minimal SP/HP, and mainly exist as items you can buy/steal from children.

Yes, you can steal candy from children.

I buy all these because why not, but what we're looking for isn't here.

Likewise, this person simply has another herb and a couple of vendor fodder items.

This fellow has a healing grape and, of course, our ultimate prize.

I'm sure those pirates must be exhausted after all that looting.

You're a clever one, aren't you?

Thank you!

Because my eye tells me to do so. As a fellow merchant, I'm sure you understand.

Hehe. I see...

-----

That should do the trick.

The trap is now set. So that brings us back to now...

-----

Sooooo the silent protagonist bit continues on even with recruiting characters. In fact, in story scenes the other characters won't even show up, only the character whose chapter it is.

Suffice to say, I'm going to change things up a bit, so let's rewind...

A bold and noble cause! I wish to help in any way that I can!
Really? You're gonna help me!? I can't thank you enough. You've got a heart of gold!

Alright! Take that cask and follow me!
What...?

Your party will follow behind you, as will any NPCs you may have used Guide/Allure on.

Tressa has basic starting gear, and for Chapter 1 (and only Chapter 1!) enemies and bosses will scale based on the number of characters you've recruited so far. A basic spear upgrade and some evasion-boosting gear should be enough for now.

Now to make our way to those pirates.

It's just a short path to the actual dungeon, and the enemies are the same as from the rest of the Coastlands, but let's check out our new party member, shall we?

Music: Battle I

Tressa's main weapon is the spear, though she can also use bows. Her starting abilities are a single-target wind attack, and Collect.

Collect, well, collects money from an enemy. It's always a set amount, and the chance of success depending on your boost level and how much HP the foe has left (which makes it double as a rough HP gauge, though you can only Collect each foe once so once you Collect, you lose that perk).

Next up, a list of Tressa's abilities!

Collect (2SP) - Collect money from a single foe.

Boosting increases the chance of success by 10%/30%/90% respectively. You basically get a 5% base chance, with every 1% of HP damage done to an enemy adding another 1% to chance of success. Generally not that great against random foes, but surprisingly lucrative if you use it on bosses.

Tradewinds (7SP) - Deal heavy wind damage to a single foe.

The single-target elemental spells do 64% extra net damage, with each boost point adding 80% more. Tressa has mediocre Elemental Attack (all her stats are pretty average), so it won't pack quite as much punch as equivalent spells.

Rest (0SP) - Restore one's own HP and SP, and cure status ailments.

For HP, it heals 1.25 * Elem. Def., with each boost point adding 30% more healing. SP is much simpler, 25SP at base and another 25SP for each boost point. Not that great, but it's free HP/SP for Tressa, so if you've got the opportunity, might as well!

Trade Tempest (10SP) - Deal wind damage to all foes.

The wind equivalent to Cyrus's elemental spells. I'm generally favorable with target-all spells since they help a lot with randoms, so this will be one of the first skills I'll pick up.

Donate BP (3SP) - Grant 1 BP to an ally.

Spending a boost point means donating an extra boost point, to a max of 4. BP is an incredibly important resource later in the game, making this one of the best BP resources in the game, depending of course on how much you use Alfyn.

Sidestep (10SP) - Dodge a single physical attack with a 100% success rate.

This is a buff that is used up when Tressa is targeted by a physical attack. Boosting this adds another layer to the buff, up to four in one turn. Like all similar buffs, Tressa can have a maximum of nine Sidesteps on her.

Sidestep is not good, not great, but amazing. You can cheese a couple of key bosses using this marvelous ability, and the fact that it only works on Tressa doesn't overshadow just how fantastic an ability it is.

Hired Help (0SP) - Pay money to summon hired help to the battlefield.

...This one I'll have to go into later, as it has a few options of its own and I can't seem to find much documentation on it. That said, the options range from cheap (150 leaves IIRC) to expensive (30,000) and add a few extra weapon options. The cheap one is still incredibly good, though, doing sword attacks on all enemies and also giving the entire party a three-turn physical defense buff. Boosting adds an extra attack per boost point and adds an extra two turns of buffs to those that give buffs. As you may expect, very useful for the right price.

Bifelgan's Bounty (30SP) - [Divine Skill] Unleash a non-elemental attack on a single foe and receive leaves equivalent to the damage dealt.

This goes off Elemental Attack, and won't give money for any damage that exceeds the foe's remaining HP.

Assuming my math is right, it should do roughly 33 times the net damage to a foe (9.8 base skill multiplier multiplied by boost modifier of (1 + (0.8 * 3)) since it has to be max boost as a Divine Skill), which is pretty solid but won't be as impressive-sounding by the time you actually get it.

-----

Passive Skills:

Endless Items - When a character with this skill uses an item, there is a 25% chance the item will not be consumed.

That's...nice, I guess? Not really that great an ability, honestly.

Grows on Trees - Gain additional leaves after battles. (Equipping this skill with multiple characters will have no added effect.)

It's a net 10% gain on money from winning battles. It's decent filler, but again, nothing that's going to be in your mid-game set-ups.

Hang Tough - When the user is not near death, all attacks that would reduce the user's HP below zero will instead leave the user with 1 HP.

"Near Death" is at 30% of Max HP. This is nice for more challenging foes that will beat your face in quickly, though if you're getting hit that hard regularly you probably have bigger problems to worry about. Not one I used much, but it has some solid applications and can save your butt a few times.

SP Saver - Halves SP consumption for the equipping character.

SP management can be a pain once you're not leveling up every other battle, and this is a solid way to deal with SP. Great for randoms and some bosses, especially in combination with other SP skills.

-----

So Tressa is sort of a jack-of-all-trades with some really amazing skills to back her up. She ends up being one of the more powerful and useful characters in the game as a result.

Let's close things off by paying the pirates a little visit.

Music: How Amusing!

Not you again! You lookin' for trouble, brat!?
No, siree! I came to apologize on behalf of my town. We should've known we didn't stand a chance against you swashbucklers.

The cap'nses'll be happy to see this.

I'm happy I lived to LP this game if only for the opportunity to transcribe the word "cap'nses'll".

-----

Prolly don't even know how! From the looks of it, their crusty barnacle of a town don't get many pirates.

An' that's the way the world works.

Aye. We set out to follow in his footsteps, and ain't looked back since.
There ain't no better life than just takin' what ye wants.

Right! Like I said, yer just the first mate-

That kid came by, said 'er town was sorry for what it done.

A toast to the landlubbers!

Cheers, mateys!
To the piratin' life!

-----

Next time, we tangle with some pirates.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 12, 2019

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I found Rest to be super helpful in early bossfights, because it gives Tressa some healing and lets her sandbag and build up boost points.

It's usefulness drops off a lot once you get other party members who can heal, but early on, it's awesome.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

I found Rest to be super helpful in early bossfights, because it gives Tressa some healing and lets her sandbag and build up boost points.

It's usefulness drops off a lot once you get other party members who can heal, but early on, it's awesome.

Then it becomes absolutely amazing again in the end game, along with Sidestep going from amazing to extremely amazing.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Sidestep is Tressa's best skill.

Also, it doesn't take THAT many nuts to turn her into a magical powerhouse. She, Cyrus and Primrose all hit max E.Atk pretty easily.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ZeButler posted:

Then it becomes absolutely amazing again in the end game, along with Sidestep going from amazing to extremely amazing.

True enough, I hadn’t considered that! Tressa really is the best.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I started my game a bit further south of where we are currently and traveling north up this path, so I ended up recruiting Tressa before Cyrus.

It was extremely amusing to me to have her max Boost Collect against the boss of his Chapter 1, given that said boss was apparently already neck-deep in debt. :allears:

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Extra Items is really nice for concocting, imo - saving you some cash on higher-end stuff and the items you can only get from drops. 25% is pretty low, admittedly, but it activates often enough that I'm not inclined to complain.

For people who can't concoct, though, it is nice-but-nowhere-near-necessary filler.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Music: Dark Caverns

Tressa's Talent is Eye For Money, which means every time she enters a new screen, there's a chance she'll find dropped money. I'm not sure how it works, but I think it scales based on area. There's ways to use this to farm money, as you may expect.

Well, that was easy.

The pirates are knocked out, so now we can make our move.

I had a question earlier about finding treasure chests, and usually the challenge for those is figuring out how to navigate the areas. There's a lot of winding paths that wrap behind the foreground elements.

Like this one, we have to come in from the left side to get it. The red and purple chests generally have better loot and thus are usually trickier to get to (and of course, you can't even open the purple chests without Therion).

As a nice touch, any pirates we fight start off asleep for several turns. Sleep works like any other RPG, they skip turns but an attack will wake them right up. It's actually not a bad idea to buff/defend and build up BP while the drunkard sleeps off his wine.

We don't really need to go that far to beat these guys though.

Analyze in action.

And Tradewinds. Wind magic in general has the form of quick green slices.

As a nice touch, there's even a hidden dock here.

Up those stairs is the next story bit, but we're not done exploring yet!

Here's the second tier of Pirate.

Another Jam. Like Elixirs, I never use these as much as I probably should. That may change this game...!

Scaled Viper, and the first enemy we've seen to be weak to Dark damage. Not that it matters yet.

I believe they can poison, but luckily I didn't have to find out.

And with that, we're ready to make our move.

-----

(Because there won't be any here when you wake up! Hehe.)

SILENCE

As if it would be that easy.

Er, well, I just came back to get the cask. I'll be going now...
Oh, that's mighty kind of ye.

Music: For Treasure

What!?

Hey, I know you! Yer that brat from the town.

Ye came to steal our loot while we was sleeping, didn't ye?
You don't miss a thing, do you?
Ye got guts, kid. But guts alone won't get ye far in this world.

That we did. Which makes it ours now.
You don't understand the meaning of earning anything! You don't understand all the love and care that went into making those products. How hard those people have to work to earn the satisfaction of their customers! And it's up to merchants like me to make sure these products find their way into the hands of those who can appreciate them!

Yer shark bait, brat.

Video: Boss - Mikk & Makk

Music: Decisive Battle I

Two on two, looks like a fair fight to me!

This fight would be a lot easier if I got enough AP for Tressa to unlock Trade Tempest, as both are weak to wind. Otherwise, Cyrus is useful but can't break the shields of both, as Makk is weak to Fire (and Staves) and Mikk to Lightning. Makk is weak to Tressa's bow, and Mikk to her spear.

The duo stick to physical attacks, which hit relatively hard, enough so that they certainly aren't trivial to ignore, yet not hard enough to quickly overwhelm us. If you're paying attention and have some grapes, you'll be fine.

My strategy is to focus on Makk first, as his Staves weakness makes him an easier target to break.

These two have a good bit of HP to burn through, so buckle in for a long one!

Whether you want to go Fire or Staves to break Makk depends on whether you want to spend SP to slowly chip away at Makk.

Of course, once one is broken, lay out your most powerful attacks. I'm not sure whether it's better to go four attacks or max-boost Tradewinds for damage, both probably end up equivalent. I like big freaking numbers though so...

And of course, since broken enemies take equal damage from everything, might as well use Lightning to weaken Makk a bit.

They mostly stick to physicals (Sidestep would also be crazy-useful here, as expensive as it may be early-game), but they can hit the entire party with them sometimes. Be on your guard!

Or just nuke 'em, whichever works.

After you deal enough damage, they reveal to you the true power of friendship.

When you deal single-target damage to one, there's a good chance the other will take the hit for them. They may bicker constantly, but the two are surprisingly loyal to each other for pirates.

As you may expect, this makes breaking them significantly more difficult.

Collect is crazy-useful for bosses, as they generally hold a ton of money compared to randoms. Be sure to use it when you can!

Eventually, a well-placed Fireball takes care of Makk.

Leaving one alive buffs their physical attacks and defenses.

I had Makk on the ropes, but one unlucky Mutiny would've been a wipe, so I played it safe and healed before delivering the final blow.

Like so!

Well done!

Music: Decisive Battle I

Yer one tough barnacle to pick... But we're just gettin' started!

Yer a ninny fer challengin' us all on yer own.

SILENCE

https://giant.gfycat.com/BrightWeightyGerenuk.mp4

Looks like we've got some backup today!

Well, if it ain't the lily-livered scalawag from before.

Arggg! He done swabbed our decks! Just who are ye?
Hm? I'd think any pirate worth his brine would already know.

That blue spear...
With the strength and swiftness of a viper...
Could it really be...?

Music: Tension

Captain, are you really...the Leon Bastralle?

Here's a lesson for you lads, from a true man of the sea...

The pirate crew may not be the sharpest tools on the ship, but they know when they're outmatched.

Music: Bonds of Friendship

Call me Leon, lass.
Mr. Leon... Thank you for saving me.
I believe one good turn deserves another. Now, have you gathered all you need?
Yup! All that's left is to bring back the goods!

I must make for the docks. It's nigh time I set sail.
You're leaving so soon?
The sea calls me, lass. But before I do...
Hm?

-----

Music: Bonds of Friendship

What are you waiting for, lass?
It's just... You said you only let those you trust onto your ship, so...

-----

Reward?
I've collected countless treasures from the furthest corners of this world. They are my most prized possessions.

I-I could never take something so precious from you!

It's okay, lass. I insist.

Haha, that's the spirit!

But I never dreamt I'd see such wonders.

This is...beautiful...

I...don't really know.

Out of all these incredible treasures, this one, it... It speaks to me. It's like I can see into the artist's soul. I can feel what he felt, all he experienced in his life...

He was quite the admirer of women, and married four times. And yet he could never forget the memory of his first love, who tragically passed when the two were babes of thirteen years.

Today, it is one of the world's most famous works of art.
Wow... I never knew.

To your heart's content, lass.

A born merchant, that one. I can see it in her eyes. She knew not a thing of Bastian, yet identified that painting as a masterpiece in an instant. I thought this was just a sleepy seaside town, but this girl...

SILENCE

Let's have a look, now.

Music: Enveloped in Kindness

It was left behind by a man I once let aboard in my younger days. It seems I neglected to throw it out, and it got mixed in here. It's best you choose something else, lass.
No, I want this one. I can't really explain it, but...

Is it now? Consider it yours, then.
Thank you, Mr. Leon.

-----

Video: Within the Dusty Pages

-----

Within those dusty pages...I felt like there was something that would change my life forever.

-----

Oh yeah Cyrus was off to the side or something the entire time.

Ah, knowledge, truly the greatest treasure of all!

Just a quick jaunt back to Tressa's home. Cyrus goes to sleep at the inn or something before he continues on his adventure to find a book.

-----

Video: Tressa's Resolve

Music: Tressa, the Merchant

"And I know what I'm searching for is out there somewhere.

That settles it!

-----

What!?

Oh my... Just think about what you're saying, dear.

You need at least two more years of stocking the store and three years of working the shop front. That's five years before you're ready to go anywhere!
Sorry, Pa. My mind's made up. Besides, I'll get all kinds of training on the road!

Darling, this is our little girl you're talking about!
I know. But I had a feeling this day would come. She is her father's daughter, after all. In the end, being a good merchant boils down to experience. And that's just what she'll find out there.

-----

Do take care of yourself out there, won't you? Be strong, and may the Sacred Flame light your path.
Thanks, Ma. Thanks, Pa.

But I'll come back one day, and you'll see just how much I've learned!
We wouldn't know what to do if you didn't. After all, you're our number one employee.
Hehe.

-----

Tressa's now part of the party and traveling with Cyrus for...reasons, I guess.

Professor Albright! Where are you going?
My ultimate destination is to Quarrycrest, but in the meantime I'm going to walk around in circles for no particular reason.
Quarrycrest, huh? Mind if I tag along? It'd be better than traveling alone!
I don't see why not. The more the merrier, I say!
Great! It'll be handy to have someone carry my wares for me on the great road ahead!
What...?

Or write whatever reasons you want. While it's lame there's no in-game justification, that just means you get to make your own!

-----

Video: Beyond the Horizon

Music: Tressa, the Merchant

The other half is still blank.

Guess I'll just have to pick up where he left off. I'll write down everything! I won't leave any stone unturned!

I'll travel far and wide, and journey on until every last page is filled!

I don't know what lies beyond the horizon... But there's only one way to find out!

Cyrus and Tressa are off together to find adventures and learn from the world around them. But we're still six people short, so who shall join us next?

Next time, we'll explore Rippletide and do a few side stories before we venture to wherever our feet take us next.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 17, 2018

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm far more amused than I should be by Tressa using Pay Day in fights.

Voting for Alfyn, alchemy is fun.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Tressa is actually the most powerful mage in the game, on top of having a few incredibly useful skills. (With the right endgame setup, etc., but still!)

Always looking for a bargain!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I love love love this line.

And yeah, using Collect in boss fights is insanely lucrative. You get double the post-battle payout!!

I'm voting for Olberic to continue the clockwise path. CTOPATHO here we come!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Some Numbers posted:

I love love love this line.

And yeah, using Collect in boss fights is insanely lucrative. You get double the post-battle payout!!

I'm voting for Olberic to continue the clockwise path. CTOPATHO here we come!

...if we'd started with Tressa we could have had TOP HAT OC, which amuses me greatly.

Anyway, I vote for the greatest mood whiplash.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

AweStriker posted:

...if we'd started with Tressa we could have had TOP HAT OC, which amuses me greatly.
And if we'd started with H'aanit we could've found her some owls to form a HOOT PACT with.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

AweStriker posted:

Anyway, I vote for the greatest mood whiplash.

...so, Tressa -> Primrose -> Alfyn then?

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Get the Dancer.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
Another for Primrose! There has been too much merry making, time for something serious!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think we need something a little less lithe than a dancer. Something more... UNBENDING

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Olberic is plenty serious. Also a great tank which we kind of need.

Cyrus was my main. He, Olberic, Tressa and Alfyn make for a great party.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I would like a huge man with a sword to join the heroic nerd and adorable merchant.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

How frequently can Olberic challenge random NPCs to fist fights?

If he can occasionally duel special quest NPCs, I vote for Olberic. If he can roll into Atlasdam, Seat of Learning and demand that every healthy adult male come at him, I vote for Olberic but much louder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Explosions posted:

How frequently can Olberic challenge random NPCs to fist fights?

If he can occasionally duel special quest NPCs, I vote for Olberic. If he can roll into Atlasdam, Seat of Learning and demand that every healthy adult male come at him, I vote for Olberic but much louder.
It's basically "nearly anyone you can talk to", just like buying their stuff or Sherlock-scanning them. I don't think you can duel children though.