Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Any early impressions of Keyforge? Is it going to be a money sink?

How about Betrayal Legacy? Is it Pandemic or Seafall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
There’s a Keyforge thread. I think we'll know lots more this coming weekend.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Lots of people are liking Keyforge. I didn't really care for it. Game was very novel, didn't play like anything I've played before and had lots of interesting new mechanics. I thought the theme was a complete zero. While there was a lot of new and interesting gameplay and mechanics I didn't see before, I just didn't have that much fun with it. It felt more like playing multiplayer solitaire than a 1v1 game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The local Asmodee demonstration bod is in my regular game group, so I've had a chance to see Keyforge played with the starter set. It had the potential to be good, but that was completely erased for me by the inability to alter your deck.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jedit posted:

The local Asmodee demonstration bod is in my regular game group, so I've had a chance to see Keyforge played with the starter set. It had the potential to be good, but that was completely erased for me by the inability to alter your deck.

One of the key (heh) arguments I’ve heard about why people like this game is that you can have a unique deck that you’re forced to master instead of buying more packs like magic. It’s asinine since nothing stops you from buying more decks either. It seems what these people really want is something like bacon or exceed but they don’t know about it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

One of the key (heh) arguments I’ve heard about why people like this game is that you can have a unique deck that you’re forced to master instead of buying more packs like magic. It’s asinine since nothing stops you from buying more decks either. It seems what these people really want is something like bacon or exceed but they don’t know about it.

This. I have no interest in deck building probably because to get good at it it takes a lot of practice which I don’t want to commit to. Much more interested in taking a procedural deck to see what I can do for it. If it sucks then it doesn’t feel like it’s my lovely deck building skills are bad, just that I got a bad deck.

Noting that I have no idea what bacon or exceed is.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
At $10 for a deck the barrier to entry is so low I'll probably give Keyforge a shot even though yeah I already have 1v1 games with prebuilt decks to fill that niche.

I wonder what people who go in deep will end up doing with their lesser used decks as they accumulate.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

M a x posted:

At $10 for a deck the barrier to entry is so low I'll probably give Keyforge a shot even though yeah I already have 1v1 games with prebuilt decks to fill that niche.

I wonder what people who go in deep will end up doing with their lesser used decks as they accumulate.

I think there will certainly be sellable decks but it’s going to be awhile before we know what those are. You could also sell cards if players used opaque sleeves, no matter what FFG's intent is.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Mayveena posted:

I think there will certainly be sellable decks but it’s going to be awhile before we know what those are. You could also sell cards if players used opaque sleeves, no matter what FFG's intent is.

Nah, the cards have the deck names on the front as well, and aside from replacing damaged ones, 0 individual value.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I still contend the best way to play Keyforge will be to throw in a handful of decks and draft the cards and build your own.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
If by best, you mean terrible, yes.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Nah, the cards have the deck names on the front as well, and aside from replacing damaged ones, 0 individual value.

That’s not going to stop people. There won’t be competitive play with them of course but I do predict groups of friends will play with built decks.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I still contend the best way to play Keyforge will be to throw in a handful of decks and draft the cards and build your own.

I don’t know if it will be the best but it’s going to happen, absolutely. There is a strong desire to win with some people and if takes playing with the cards they want to play with then it will happen.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

M a x posted:

The starter set is $40 which sort of rains on that for me

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mojo Jojo posted:

The starter set is $40 which sort of rains on that for me

The starter is a rip-off. You get two basic beginner decks and tokens and two regular decks. Just save $20 and buy two decks and use any number of bits and dice to track stuff. It's not like a lot of FFG games where the starter comes with critical stuff.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

The starter is a rip-off. You get two basic beginner decks and tokens and two regular decks. Just save $20 and buy two decks and use any number of bits and dice to track stuff. It's not like a lot of FFG games where the starter comes with critical stuff.

That's for all the counters /tokens and jazz, honestly not needed. I played first time without it,

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mugaaz posted:

That's for all the counters /tokens and jazz, honestly not needed. I played first time without it,

Yes, that is what I am recommending.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Mayveena posted:

BaCon is a discord meme abbreviation for BattleCon, much like ChEx. Not sure about exceed either

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Exceed is discord talk for 18xx anime rethemes

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
BattleCON (Bacon) and Exceed are both card games that simulate fighting games. Each character has their own unique cards, making them something akin to Keyforge.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mayveena posted:

This. I have no interest in deck building probably because to get good at it it takes a lot of practice which I don’t want to commit to. Much more interested in taking a procedural deck to see what I can do for it. If it sucks then it doesn’t feel like it’s my lovely deck building skills are bad, just that I got a bad deck.

Battlecon and exceed. They’re fighting games in card game form but have that sort of unique mastery for each fighter.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Bottom Liner posted:

Exceed is discord talk for 18xx anime rethemes

Oh i wasn’t sure if we had settled on that or 18Totoro

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I bought an MDF laser-cut insert for a game, but it stinks to high heaven of burned wood. I know that's part of the lasering process, but its like it didn't get extracted properly. Any idea how to deodorize it besides just leaving it out for a few days?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

I bought an MDF laser-cut insert for a game, but it stinks to high heaven of burned wood. I know that's part of the lasering process, but its like it didn't get extracted properly. Any idea how to deodorize it besides just leaving it out for a few days?

I would think the easiest way would be to prime it? I'm totally guessing though.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Mugaaz posted:

I would think the easiest way would be to prime it? I'm totally guessing though.

I've heard you can prime / seal / etc it, but I was hoping to not have to do that. I also don't want primer negatively reacting with cards over time.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Throw it in a zip lock with some baking soda for a few days, maybe?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Take up smoking.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

I've heard you can prime / seal / etc it, but I was hoping to not have to do that. I also don't want primer negatively reacting with cards over time.

how would primer interact with cards? If you dont want to use primer, try something like testors dull/gloss cote.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

M a x posted:

Yeah I'm planning on picking up a deck and bringing stuff with me to use as components at Pax U since it's so cheap. May as well try it.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Isn't keyforge's most direct competition blue moons legends?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

PRADA SLUT posted:

Leave it out for a few days to air out, giving it sunlight will speed up the process.

If you're desperate, wrap tightly in tin foil and put it the oven at low temperature (no more than 170F) for an hour or two. Then let it cool to room temperature before opening. But that's a bit risky and I wouldn't recommend it if it is at all avoidable.

I do a lot of laser cutting, MDF and plywood cut nicely but end up smelling like a campfire for a bit. Good laser cutting tends to minimize the sooty-ness. Sanding gets rid of sooty edges but is a huge PITA imo.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

LobsterTrap just finished, and as always it was the highlight of our year. The first game I played was "how do we maximize gaming time given we have an infant and a preschooler". Kids ruin everything.

New to me:
Majolica felt much like Azul but with a bit more game. Fine, would play again.
Century: Eastern Wonders was better than I expected given the antipathy I've seen. Pick up and deliver and move around version of, naturally, Century: Spice Road. I'd play it again but don't want to own it.
Nefertiti of all things, I'd never even heard of it, but it's apparently *another* Egyptian themed auction game. I liked it, maybe even more than Amun-Re, but it definitely dragged a bit compared to Ra.
Brass: Birmingham was a doozy. I'd never played anything related to it (old brass, lancashire, whichever of steam/age of steam/age of industry/whatever was like brass if any) before. I came in 2nd of 4 while everyone else had played. I discussed this in a previous post.
Welcome to... uuuuuugh if this is what roll-n-writes are, I don't like them. Boring press your luck no interaction whatsoever.
Decrypto was as good as people say, but I found it way more stressful than any codenames variant, and so I need to be in the right mood.

Highlights:
I played motherforkin four games of Shogi and won all four against the same opponent who crushes me in go every year. Holy poo poo this game is seriously the best, and benefits so much from playing in person with a nice set. First two I mated with side pawns, third was a brutal five minute destruction of his castle, and last game was a long drawn out game where I actually had a real castle.

Riichi Mah Jongg like every year, we played into the wee hours Saturday. Beautiful game.
Pax Renaissance I had played an aborted game of last year, 4p, and it took foreeeever. This year I demanded 3p or I wouldn't play, and with a rules refresher, it still took almost 3 hours but I think I could actually play quickly next time. I enjoyed it *way* more this year, for sure, and plan to try it again next year. Brilliant, very hard to understand game, it essentially took me almost two full games to understand how to accomplish things. Not how to win, how to get anything at all done. Assuming the living rules are to be trusted, I came in 2nd, it went to prestige and I was tied with 2 and the winner had more florins left than me. If not, I tied for first wooo!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a card box that isn't ugly as gently caress? I've got a bunch of assorted deck boxes with various card games and the like, and I want a place to store them that isn't a white cardboard box.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Today I went by Cafe Mox and there was a big demo of Keyforge and I can't remember when I've NO THANKSed out of a room so quickly. My friends and I couldn't get a table in the cafe so we went back to my place and played A Study In Emerald 1st edition (my first time). It was OK? Hard to judge after just one play.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a card box that isn't ugly as gently caress? I've got a bunch of assorted deck boxes with various card games and the like, and I want a place to store them that isn't a white cardboard box.

https://ultimateguard.com/en/arkhive/arkhive-400

I have this for my Star Wars cube and it's nice as hell but pricey. They make a bigger one that holds playmats and tokens and stuff too.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

DEX Protection boxes are great and sturdy as hell. They magnetically close. Dualists are amazing for small sizes (they hold a double-sleeved Commander Magic deck fine with room for extra tokens) and the Supreme Game Chest should be big enough for anything where you'd want separate compartments for different components.

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

Bottom Liner posted:

Star Wars cube

I'm listening

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

http://starwarsthegathering.com/

it's pretty fun :3:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

That dude must have a literal dump truck of C&D letters on his front lawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

If someone shows you a pretty small box game called Silk that appears to have an interesting rule set when looking through the rulebook, run as far away as possible. It’s so sad that games can still be published being broke as hell from a single playthrough. I don’t even want to spend any more time talking about it because I think it’s a relatively obscure Essen game this year.

But Walking in Burano and Fertility are both neat quick light strategy games worth playing a couple times at least. Neither really has legs but there are too many games out there anyway.