Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

He lost the primary once and he can lose it again, especially if some charismatic populist like Avenatti gets involved with the current political climate. Things like his respect for the norms and decorum may sink Sanders, depending on how bad polarization gets in primary season.

Avenatti’s finished before he even started, by saying that the next Dem nominee needs to be a white male.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LinYutang posted:

This is all we need, and I increasingly question if Bernie can actually do well in the rural Midwest when not running against the Hated Clinton. Especially after seeing (and experiencing) a wave of progressives spin out and crash in rural Michigan during the 2018 primaries and generals.

But it isn't "all we need"; there is actual harm from merely replacing Trump with a Democrat like Klobuchar, even if it's somewhat less harm than not doing so. If anything, I'd argue that the potential difference, in terms of impact to peoples' lives, represented by the ideological variation within the likely 2020 Democratic primary candidates is greater than that between the more centrist/right-leaning Democrats and Trump/Republicans. Most people currently in poverty, being killed by our bombs/weapons abroad, suffering from bigotry, etc will continue to do so regardless, but at least under the more left-leaning options like Sanders there's also a chance for policy with a very large positive impact (and he'd also probably murder fewer people abroad, since it's not exactly a high bar to clear to be better than most other Democrats/Republicans on that issue). And that's not even touching on the harder-to-quantify benefit to simply pushing the Overton window to the left through electing someone with Sanders' politics/reputation.

Basically the point I'm trying to make here is that it's wrong to think "defeating Trump is so important it should take precedence over all other considerations," since at the end of the day most harm is bipartisan and someone seeking to lessen harm should have the goal of not just electing a Democrat, but electing one who will make a significant positive impact on the status quo. I feel like, when people say this sort of thing, they're using logic like "if I had to choose between replacing Trump with a crappy Democrat or not replacing Trump, I'd choose for the former," but that's not what's actually going on. It would be more accurate to say something like "if I had to choose between a 55% chance of replacing Trump with a crappy Democrat and a 50% chance of replacing him with an actually-decent one" (and this is very generously assuming a candidate like Klobuchar would have a higher chance of winning in the first place, of which there is no convincing evidence). The calculus is a lot less clear when you're just talking about some marginal difference in the chance of winning between two Democratic candidates.

Internet Explorer posted:

Bernie/Lee is my hope. I think it's important to have a credible progressive VP given Bernie's age.

Like I think someone else mentioned at some point, I would rather have Lee in an actual substantive position like Speaker or something than the mostly ceremonial position of VP.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

But it isn't "all we need"; there is actual harm from merely replacing Trump with a Democrat like Klobuchar, even if it's somewhat less harm than not doing so. If anything, I'd argue that the potential difference, in terms of impact to peoples' lives, represented by the ideological variation within the likely 2020 Democratic primary candidates is greater than that between the more centrist/right-leaning Democrats and Trump/Republicans

this take needs to have a steel container built over it and be buried for a few tens of millions of years until the half life decays far enough that the cockroach archaeologists can safely dig it up

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
in a 9-0 decision,

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Like I think someone else mentioned at some point, I would rather have Lee in an actual substantive position like Speaker or something than the mostly ceremonial position of VP.

I think that's reasonable under normal circumstances but if there's a decent chance that Bernie drops dead in his first term, I'd want someone competent running as his VP.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

ChairMaster posted:

I would really love for you to name someone better. I'm not being sarcastic, I genuinely would love for there to be a better candidate than Sanders. He's an unfortunate compromise made necessary by the Democrats being the most pathetic and worthless thing in the universe.

Unless you think Barbara Lee is going to run, I'm not seeing any other option than Sanders.

Tammy Baldwin - a progressive, openly gay woman who just won her 2018 senate election in Wisconsin by 10%.

A GIANT PARSNIP fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 11, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Tammy Baldwin - a progressive, openly gay woman who just won her 2018 senate election in Wisconsin by 10%.

sure, i'll throw her on the at-least-roughly-gillibrand-tier pile

too bad she endorsed Hillary Clinton for 2016

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
A quick check makes her look a lot better than Gillibrand, and she endorsed Clinton in 2013, hardly a knock against her since nobody knew who Sanders was in 2013.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ChairMaster posted:

A quick check makes her look a lot better than Gillibrand, and she endorsed Clinton in 2013, hardly a knock against her since nobody knew who Sanders was in 2013.

i might dispute the "a lot" so far, but the 2013 thing was a big part of the joke yes

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1061749298268983297

He's running.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Biden hasn't even announced and he's already making gaffes. A new record.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Biden hasn't even announced and he's already making gaffes. A new record.

With the way things have been going, "having pictures taken of you giving awards to George W. Bush" is arguably not a gaffe to the Democratic base. :negative:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Lightning Knight posted:

With the way things have been going, "having pictures taken of you giving awards to George W. Bush" is arguably not a gaffe to the Democratic base. :negative:

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I think that primary said more about race than it did about progressive policy. Plus, El-Sayed had more than a few foot-in-mouth moments.

Adbul El-Sayed was just the highest profile of dozens of progressives who have ran in Michigan and who have largely failed to gain footholds in local/state/congressional politics, especially in rural areas. Most of them were white.

This will all be proven out in the upcoming presidential primaries, but the Hillary factor in Bernie's dramatic Michigan win was huge. She was loathed here (obviously)

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

LinYutang posted:

Adbul El-Sayed was just the highest profile of dozens of progressives who have ran in Michigan and who have largely failed to gain footholds in local/state/congressional politics, especially in rural areas. Most of them were white.

This will all be proven out in the upcoming presidential primaries, but the Hillary factor in Bernie's dramatic Michigan win was huge. She was loathed here (obviously)

while some skepticism of Bernie 2020 is reasonable, aren’t you the troll who mocked the El-Sayed campaign and insisted that Julia Salazar had no chance to win because there happened to be some Hasidic Jews in her district

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

A... a new challenger appears?

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1061822979196231680

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

lol he voted for Trump

I guess literally everyone really is going to give it a shot, huh? Time to break the record for number of people on a debate stage.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I'm pretty confident Jay Inslee the governor of Washington is going to try to run and will accomplish nothing.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

I guess now's a good time to announce my candidacy. Once elected I pledge to immediately set about restoring these forums to their former glory by bringing back YCS.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

lol he voted for Trump

I guess literally everyone really is going to give it a shot, huh? Time to break the record for number of people on a debate stage.

He voted for Trump because his county did 98%. His platform is actually pretty non-succ.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

He voted for Trump because his county did 98%. His platform is actually pretty non-succ.

So you’re saying he’s blatantly willing to throw anyone under the bus if it might help his election. I’m sure he’ll stick to those “non-succ” platforms and defend them rather than abandon them as soon as it’s useful.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Trabisnikof posted:

So you’re saying he’s blatantly willing to throw anyone under the bus if it might help his election. I’m sure he’ll stick to those “non-succ” platforms and defend them rather than abandon them as soon as it’s useful.

Somebody please post the article where when asked why he supports balanced budgets and other conservative economic tripe as a state legislator he gave ridiculous non-answers, tia.

He won't amount to anything in the 2020 primary.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
We're going to need a debate playoffs system or something where you have to win your corner of the political map before you can move on to the main stage.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Have Some Flowers! posted:

We're going to need a debate playoffs system or something where you have to win your corner of the political map before you can move on to the main stage.

The Democratic Party's fundraising strategy in 2020 will be to run a bracket system and have people pay into Fantasy Primary bracket betting.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

lol he voted for Trump

In 2020, Democrats will have try to win back voters in rust belt states that went for Trump. Criticizing Ojeda for his 2016 vote is a great way to shoot your campaign in the foot.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ego-bot posted:

In 2020, Democrats will have try to win back voters in rust belt states that went for Trump. Criticizing Ojeda for his 2016 vote is a great way to shoot your campaign in the foot.

Running a candidate who voted Trump is probably fastest way to lose 2020.

We’re right to criticize him as a proposed leader of the Democratic Party because he would lead us to humiliating defeat again.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Sanders's VP should be illegal immigrant Jeremy Corbyn. They can swap the plan around for the UK if Sanders loses, or maybe just do it regardless.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Voting for Trump in 2016 means you were either very stupid or just straight up immoral. Neither of those are great qualities for someone running for president (on a left platform) to have displayed only a couple of years ago.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 12, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Can we draft Reverand Wright? That guy was loving cool.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hillary Clintonites keep saying she's gonna run again.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/416164-ex-clinton-aide-hillary-will-run-again-in-2020 posted:

Ex-Clinton aide: Hillary will run again in 2020

Mark Penn, a former adviser to the Clintons, believes Hillary Clinton will make another run for president in 2020.

Penn, a frequent contributor to The Hill, co-wrote a Sunday op-ed for The Wall Street Journal with Andrew Stein, a former Democratic Manhattan borough president and president of the New York City Council.

“True to her name, Mrs. Clinton will fight this out until the last dog dies,” the pair wrote. “She won’t let a little thing like two stunning defeats stand in the way of her claim to the White House.”

They said Clinton will not allow her “humiliating loss” to President Trump during the 2016 presidential election end her political career.

“You can expect her to run for president once again,” they predicted. “Maybe not at first, when the legions of Senate Democrats make their announcements, but definitely by the time the primaries are in full swing.”

She has two years to review what went wrong during her last campaign bid and make a strategy, they wrote.

“She has decisively to win those Iowa caucus-goers who have never warmed up to her,” they wrote. “They will see her now as strong, partisan, left-leaning and all-Democrat—the one with the guts, experience and steely-eyed determination to defeat Mr. Trump.”

The former Democratic presidential nominee left the door open to a possible 2020 run last month, saying that even though she doesn't want to run, "I'd like to be president."

Longtime advisers and confidants quickly pushed back on reports that she was weighing another White House run.

“She’s more likely to win Powerball,” Philippe Reines, Clinton’s longtime adviser, told The Hill.

Penn and Stein, however, said that voters should not pay attention to “‘I won’t run’ declarations.”

“Mrs. Clinton knows both Mr. Clinton and Mr. Obama declared they weren’t running, until they ran,” the pair argued. “She may even skip Iowa and enter the race later, but rest assured that, one way or another, Hillary 4.0 is on the way.”

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

JosephWongKS posted:

Hillary Clintonites keep saying she's gonna run again.

mark penn doesn't know poo poo

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Ragnar34 posted:

Sanders's VP should be illegal immigrant Jeremy Corbyn. They can swap the plan around for the UK if Sanders loses, or maybe just do it regardless.

I think that Bernie's older brother Larry (who is a Green Party politician in the UK) would be a better VP choice to bridge the intercontinental divide. Sanders/Sanders 2020

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

'succ'

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

I think that it will be a really dumb move if he decides to split the vote for progressives.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Bodhidharma posted:

I think that it will be a really dumb move if he decides to split the vote for progressives.

lol

I am way less absolutist about "IT MUST BE MY PREFERRED CANDIDATE OR IM STAYING HOME" then like 90% of these forums because I am pretty solidly on the side of 'no, seriously, we have to get trump the gently caress out of the white house before he does any more damage', but nominating a Trump voter who is all in on bringing back coal power when the planet is falling apart at the seams because of fossil fuels is one of the few things that would make me throw my hands up and vote for one of the 5,802 fringe left parties that celebrates if their vote total nationwide hits four digits

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ain't nobody gonna vote for Ojeda if Bernie's running.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

90% of these jokers are just trying to get a book deal and want the DNC to fund their touring expenses.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Ego-bot posted:

I agree with your first sentence but not with your second. There are plenty of populist progressives and/or rust belt Dems that didn't loving vote for Trump that would be a million times better than Ojeda.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

90% of these jokers are just trying to get a book deal and want the DNC to fund their touring expenses.

Yeah, the whole point of folks like this running is that they get to keep campaigning for some future job, not necessarily even an elected one (think high ranking job in the Defense Department or whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

So you’re saying he’s blatantly willing to throw anyone under the bus if it might help his election.

He is running as a Democrat, yes.