Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
What if Kenji asks him for help? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Dr Subterfuge posted:

What if Kenji asks him for help? :v:

Please...Please help me make shitloads of money.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 11, 2018

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.

Ice Phisherman posted:

"I need help fundraising for school and doing a public safety charity project."

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

jagadaishio posted:

But he's literally never not blown it all up. He helps the crew out when they need somewhere safe to stay, or needs help with a mental health crisis, or needs help with schoolwork accommodations, or needs an advocate when dealing with Horizon.

But he has literally never failed to completely flip out when someone was being a good samaritan, or using study drugs, or what have you.

He has always - without exception - erred on the side of keeping his wards safe. That's a perfectly decent and reasonable thing of him, and he's helped them immeasurably when that's helpful.

But when it comes to taking risks or doing something dangerous, he drops the hammer and tries to stop it every single time.

That said, I do think the best possible outcome would be telling Julian, him supporting them, and him rewarding that trust by using the bounty to expand the scholarship program for Sasha and Oli. I just think that him reacting that way would be inconsistent with his established pattern.

Serious question and refresh my memory: Has anyone ever gone to him before going into a dangerous situation and asked for help, or has it always been after the fact? Because I feel like that's the case.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Podima posted:

Serious question and refresh my memory: Has anyone ever gone to him before going into a dangerous situation and asked for help, or has it always been after the fact? Because I feel like that's the case.
The only example that springs to mind is Julie’s vision of the future, and he was pretty helpful there.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

pumpinglemma posted:

The only example that springs to mind is Julie’s vision of the future, and he was pretty helpful there.

Not all that helpful as a point of reference since there isn't really a practical way of Julian ensuring that Julie doesn't get involved in her own vision of the future :v:

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

jagadaishio posted:

But he's literally never not blown it all up. He helps the crew out when they need somewhere safe to stay, or needs help with a mental health crisis, or needs help with schoolwork accommodations, or needs an advocate when dealing with Horizon.

But he has literally never failed to completely flip out when someone was being a good samaritan, or using study drugs, or what have you.

He has always - without exception - erred on the side of keeping his wards safe. That's a perfectly decent and reasonable thing of him, and he's helped them immeasurably when that's helpful.

But when it comes to taking risks or doing something dangerous, he drops the hammer and tries to stop it every single time.

That said, I do think the best possible outcome would be telling Julian, him supporting them, and him rewarding that trust by using the bounty to expand the scholarship program for Sasha and Oli. I just think that him reacting that way would be inconsistent with his established pattern.

However - while there's a good chance he'll forbid us from doing anything about it, the question is what he'll do besides it. I mean, there's a toxic shaman in the block, and he's attacking people (including Kenji), and there's no authorities to deal with him.

That being said - I think that we should try to keep silent if we go for the kill ; should ask if we try to go for the bounty, because we can't hide that (Julian do have access to the gang's finances, as their legal guardian, right? even if not, can't tell him that our sudden windfall came from the lottery) ; If we try to subdue, and not care for the money, either way.
Side note - him flipping out because we tried to take on a dangerous mage in his own home ? Expelled from the school within five minutes.

Ice Phisherman posted:

The double meaning of this joke is amusing.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Gun Jam posted:

However - while there's a good chance he'll forbid us from doing anything about it, the question is what he'll do besides it. I mean, there's a toxic shaman in the block, and he's attacking people (including Kenji), and there's no authorities to deal with him.

"And also, none of you are allowed to go back to Touristville anymore."

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

jagadaishio posted:

"And also, none of you are allowed to go back to Touristville anymore."

Never going to happen with Julie based there and it would take their only magic healer.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
I don't really fully understand the gravity of the whole toxic shaman thing, but I think we should involve Min Yun. She's more aware about the situation and might have a better idea of what to do than a bunch of teenagers who are relatively new to Touristeville.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
More officially voting for calling Julian even after the discussion. We definitely won't get the bounty without him knowing, I mean, duh, and if we're going to ice the guy he'll almost certainly be understanding of Touristville's needs (especially if we explain them to him).

He's very unlikely to ban us from the Underground imo.

No reason not to haul in Min Yun too though. She'll be handy if we get to carry through on the run, and she'll be handy if things pop off early because, say, someone tips off Pinchface about Mrs Liu telling the militia that there may be a banishment kerfuffle coming. And grab Octo for whatever little she may he able to do (gently caress with Pinchface comms?) and Gentoo if he's within range.

again, this is an all reasonably not-alert-causing hands on deck situation

we might have to owe Gentoo a favor or something if "get the bounty" is off the table, but that's fine

also I wish to reiterate that everybody involved needs to really, really keep this poo poo on the down low insofar as feasible because as bad as a murder in Touristville would be, Seattle in general and human supremacists in particular knowing about this toxic mage incident would be arguably as catastrophic as the incident itself going sideways

and if we can't, we get the militia in and quite possibly give the credit for making him dead

local mage detected him, local law enforcement successfully handled it, the system works

as opposed to the lawless, degenerate orks letting a toxic mage nest in the heart of their allegedly upstanding commercial district

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 12, 2018

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Tell Julian, this is a problem for Big Boy Shadow Running. We've got Gentoo and Savni (sans guns) as our other heavy hitters, we need much more then that if this guy is as bad news as this sounds.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
If we were in the "all the kids are gigantic ruthless assholes" timeline, another option might be giving him the heads up to pick up and scoot to somewhere we don't give a poo poo about, with the minor downside that Julian would literally murder us when he found out / have us sent to jail for conspiracy to aid and abet supervillainy.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sidebar: This has been a great series of updates, and I've really enjoyed the discussion they've sparked. Good job all around!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Chatrapati posted:

I don't really fully understand the gravity of the whole toxic shaman thing, but I think we should involve Min Yun. She's more aware about the situation and might have a better idea of what to do than a bunch of teenagers who are relatively new to Touristeville.

Toxic Shamans are, simply put, walking human rights violations that are a mass shooting away from being a natural disaster. Even a quiet one like this is incredibly dangerous.

But we have the element of surprise. He doesn't know we know and he's been getting away with it so long he may be complacent.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Toxic Shamans are, simply put, walking human rights violations that are a mass shooting away from being a natural disaster. Even a quiet one like this is incredibly dangerous.

But we have the element of surprise. He doesn't know we know and he's been getting away with it so long he may be complacent.

When you say natural disaster, is that on the scale of, a small earthquake? A volcanic eruption? Global warming? If it's more toward the latter, then I think we absolutely need to involve someone like Julian, for everyone's sake.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

jagadaishio posted:

"I need help fundraising for school and doing a public safety charity project."

This, except user these exact words and very slowly build up a terrible sense of foreboding in Julian as more details are slowly given

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Butt Discussin posted:

This, except user these exact words and very slowly build up a terrible sense of foreboding in Julian as more details are slowly given

Lol drat great idea

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
i am now on board with plan dad's bad day

"Hello parental guardian I would like to entice you with a fundraising plan"
"just need a little help from an experienced adult"
"all it involves is dealing with an unlicensed mage dw about it"
"okay first i need a nonlethal way to knock out a wizard"
"listen its okay he deserves it hes literally a toxic mage who sucked out my life with magic"
"no listen i need to do this because i took a shadowrunning job dont call the cops"
"i mean its not like the cops would ever come since we're in an extrajudicial area ruled by street law"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Butt Discussin posted:

this is horrendous

also, who exactly among the kiddos knows that we're not supposed to ask Julian for help directly / that doing so invokes Lightbringer Bullshit?

Ysengrin posted:

i am now on board with plan dad's bad day

"Hello parental guardian I would like to entice you with a fundraising plan"
"just need a little help from an experienced adult"
"all it involves is dealing with an unlicensed mage dw about it"
"okay first i need a nonlethal way to knock out a wizard"
"listen its okay he deserves it hes literally a toxic mage who sucked out my life with magic"
"no listen i need to do this because i took a shadowrunning job dont call the cops"
"i mean its not like the cops would ever come since we're in an extrajudicial area ruled by street law"

also if all this business gets made public it'll probably not be super great for impoverished seattle orks

Chatrapati posted:

When you say natural disaster, is that on the scale of, a small earthquake? A volcanic eruption? Global warming? If it's more toward the latter, then I think we absolutely need to involve someone like Julian, for everyone's sake.

A fully operational battle station toxic mage is likely to kill dozens-to-hundreds, and has a pretty fair chance of escaping to do it again but harder. They also leave serious lasting damage in their wake - a previously quite livable area that gets doused in toxic energy of one sort or another will, at best, be a particularly unpleasant place to live even by Shadowrun standards.

The lasting damage to the ACHE's aura and nature is actually a pretty good comparison - Deus wasn't a toxic entity, nor was it particularly an astral entity, but its hijinks bruised and contorted the khert astral in and around the ACHE sufficiently that Sasha can't go near it without heaving up her guts. You know, with the 100k or whatever people trapped within it and experimented on.

Toxic mages are worse per capita.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 12, 2018

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
That's true, Toxic Shamans affect the astral pretty hardcore. Jukie needs to look at the shop's astral profile. I bet that's also part of why his merchandise is in AR. You can't look at the astral through AR goggles or glasses.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
So we have to involve Julian, and we have to deal with this guy in a manner that will not cause a firefight/problem. Are his windows bulletproof and is there anybody with a hunting rifle around? One round to the side of the temple while he's talking to Julian should solve, right? We just need Julian to position him by the window if they aren't bulletproof. It wouldn't even be a hard shot, right? Have Julian bring him by the window, has him turn sideways to talk to him or turn to face inside the shop and boom, Kenji puts a round between the back of his skull from across the way. Do we think that plan would have any major issues? I suppose him having his AR stock makes it so he never leaves the counter, but if we have somebody come up and tag his window with some spray paint or whatever he'd probably walk out and look at it at least.

Plus, then Kenji is legit the person who killed him so he can collect the bounty. We just cut a deal with Julian that the money goes towards Sasha and Oli's tuition and anything extra the school keeps, or whatever. Maybe we get like 10% in the end or something for fun times.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Shooting a rifle while in the underground while standing immediately outside of the window is an absolutely terrible idea, insofar as causing a riot/traumatizing a community is concerned. I've already made my opinion on getting Julian involved known, but that is a bad one. The space outside of the shop is cramped, single-story, pedestrian-filled tunnels.

That's a '12 died from trampling alone' kind of idea.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
There's no bounty if he dies. We have to capture him alive. The million nuyen bounty is a strong indicator of how difficult this will be.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Volmarias posted:

There's no bounty if he dies. We have to capture him alive. The million nuyen bounty is a strong indicator of how difficult this will be.

Specifically, the fact that Toxics often choose suicide over capture.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Allright, here's a plan, since y'all want to try and capture him alive:
We have Julie make the call - beause 1) she's the one that have yet to get into fight with Julian 2) It's her home, so her problem - unlike Kenji and Fuzzy, he can't tell her to go back to the island and forget about it 3) Is the one who can say "If you expel me for doing it? fine"
She'll tell him that there's a toxic mage, he's attacking people (including Kenji), and that we are planning to do something about it ASAP. But since assaulting toxic mages at their lair is a risky affair - they'll be happy to to hear if he got advice, or if he can send help. Now, even if he forbids them to do anything, fine - there's the millita, they will try and brute-force their way in, and hope for minimal losses.
That way, we hopefully get him to commit to come and help (Or, at least - OK the crew to do something, in hope that it will not result in a bloodbath)- the millitia isn't answering to him.
Note - overall goal is to get him to help/approve of us acting - if he tell us he'll take care of it, and we stay home, fine. If we miss out on the bounty - it's not worth getting thrown outta school over.

Aside - while we wait to him to come over, call Min Yun - extra firepower aside, we can use the time to get Kenji's talk with her. Also, get Pink and Fuzzy to talk.
(We need the full crew to make plan, so in the meanwhile).

And lastly, Rita. Julie needed Marco to take pictures of her home (per our meal in the ward), so she wasn't free then - she's still not in the picture, or did that change in the week since?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

jagadaishio posted:

Shooting a rifle while in the underground while standing immediately outside of the window is an absolutely terrible idea, insofar as causing a riot/traumatizing a community is concerned. I've already made my opinion on getting Julian involved known, but that is a bad one. The space outside of the shop is cramped, single-story, pedestrian-filled tunnels.

That's a '12 died from trampling alone' kind of idea.

I was thinking about being across the way, not right outside the window holding a rifle like a looney tunes cartoon, but I see your point. I'm imagining in my head a regular shop with large plate glass windows, which is probably not accurate.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Gun Jam posted:

And lastly, Rita. Julie needed Marco to take pictures of her home (per our meal in the ward), so she wasn't free then - she's still not in the picture, or did that change in the week since?

Rita is going to show up in Julie's book. I've delayed her appearance because I haven't been able to fit her in yet without disturbing the pace of the story.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Let's avoid any strategic planning of approach on this until we've decide who we are/aren't bringing in on this and heard their feedback and ideas. We're getting way, way ahead of ourselves here. All of these plans aren't going to matter if Julian grounds everyone and bans them from Touristville, after all, or if Min Yun has an incredible idea for using Feng Shui to cripple his magic, or whatever. :v:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gun Jam posted:

Allright, here's a plan, since y'all want to try and capture him alive:
We have Julie make the call - beause 1) she's the one that have yet to get into fight with Julian 2) It's her home, so her problem - unlike Kenji and Fuzzy, he can't tell her to go back to the island and forget about it 3) Is the one who can say "If you expel me for doing it? fine"
She'll tell him that there's a toxic mage, he's attacking people (including Kenji), and that we are planning to do something about it ASAP. But since assaulting toxic mages at their lair is a risky affair - they'll be happy to to hear if he got advice, or if he can send help. Now, even if he forbids them to do anything, fine - there's the millita, they will try and brute-force their way in, and hope for minimal losses.
That way, we hopefully get him to commit to come and help (Or, at least - OK the crew to do something, in hope that it will not result in a bloodbath)- the millitia isn't answering to him.
Note - overall goal is to get him to help/approve of us acting - if he tell us he'll take care of it, and we stay home, fine. If we miss out on the bounty - it's not worth getting thrown outta school over.

Aside - while we wait to him to come over, call Min Yun - extra firepower aside, we can use the time to get Kenji's talk with her. Also, get Pink and Fuzzy to talk.
(We need the full crew to make plan, so in the meanwhile).

I do really like the idea of having Julie call Julian, for the reasons laid out here. What do people think?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I agree that Julie is probably in the best position to talk to Julian, at least from a story perspective. Mechanically, she'd have to, what, intimidate him to get that approach to work, though?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Phisherman posted:

CYOA Time

:siren:Kenji is in danger! Fuzzy is in danger! Julie is in danger! Saanvi is in danger! Even Chip is in danger! Touristville and all of its residents are in danger!:siren:

Who does Kenji call?

:eyepop:

The hell, Ice, way to subvert the mission. :ocelot: :)

You took a milkrun and turned it into a ‘calling all cars’ situation. Well done.

My thoughts:

1) This is no longer a ‘Kenny and the gang’ issue; this is a public safety and security problem for Touristville, so call in Mrs. Liu and Julian. Also call in Paige because we’ll finally get to see her combat medic badassery.

2) Call in Min and Gentoo. Have them bring in the stick and shock ammo for a live capture, and bring in some hardware for Saanvi and the rest of the gang as well.

3) I would say that live capture is a better alternative to hosing down with live rounds, and not only for the bounty. When news of this breaks, I think its better optics for Touristville to spin that they had the situation under control, then to report that a Toxic Shaman was killed in a pitched gun battle.

4) Can’t imagine Julian would ban the kiddos from the Underground; they found the problem after all (they’re literally the troublesome kids in this instance), and, they’re just as likely to run into a Toxic Shaman anywhere else in Seattle. By that logic, he might as well just confine them to their cabins.

5) Not convinced about the street party and or award to honor Pinchy; he knows his neighbors hate him, and, he’s paranoid by nature. Anything outside of the norm would tip him off.

6) I would recommend taking him down during the normal course of his daily activities. He likes that tea shop, right? Maybe ambush him when he’s going over for his daily cup of ginseng brew. Point is, don’t do anything outside of the normal day-to-day; find out what his pattern is, and ambush him accordingly.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I agree that Julie is probably in the best position to talk to Julian, at least from a story perspective. Mechanically, she'd have to, what, intimidate him to get that approach to work, though?

I like Julie making the call, plus if it's intimidating that her only social stat. Not that it'll help.
Julian is SKILLED at negotiations, Julie has seen this first hand, it'd be a plea to her confidant who she ready is already sharing her biggest secret.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Mama Bear is definitely too far away to show up promptly, but she A) might be able to send a spirit over and B) could arrive before things pop off if we're lucky. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kenji, Fuzzy, Julie, Saanvi, Julian, Min Yun and Mrs. Liu – Saturday, August 3rd, 2075 – Early afternoon – Touristville, 88 Tastes of China

Kenji took a few seconds to think and nodded seriously to Julie.

“Yeah, I think you’re right,” he said, quietly, “Call him up.”

“Me?” asked Julie, incredulously, “You-You’re the talker. I’m no good at talking.”

“Sure,” said Kenji, “But he’s more likely to believe you over me. You’re the responsible one. Chip, go Mrs. Liu. We need to talk to her.”

Chip nodded and disappeared. Fuzzy didn’t say anything, but immediately went through her gym bag. Inside of it was the armored vest that her adoptive father, Diego, had made for her. Normally it went on under clothing, but she just slipped it over her head and cinched it tight. Saanvi pulled Kenji aside and whispered to him.

“I only have a folding knife and a multi-tool,” she whispered.

“More than I’ve got,” whispered Kenji, “I’m getting soft. No armor and no weapon. I should know better than this.”

“What can we do about it?” she whispered back.

“Get the next call,” he whispered.

Julian picked up after a few rings.

“Hello?” he asked, “Who is this?”

“It’s Julie,” she said, quickly, and she almost stumbled over each word, “Something really bad is happening. At least I’m pretty sure. I mean I’ve never seen something like this before, but I’m sure that it doesn’t mean anything good.”

“Whoa there,” soothed Julian, over the intercom, “Hi Julie. I’m glad to hear from you. Slow down. Take three big breaths then tell me where you are.”

Julie gulped down those breaths of air and Kenji could hear how shaky they were.

“I’m in Touristville,” she said, her breathing somewhat calmed, “There’s a restaurant called Eighty-eight Tastes of China. It’s in Touristville east end. We’re in an office.”

“Okay, are you safe?” he asked, seriously.

“I don’t know,” she said, “For now, maybe.”

There was a pause as Julian digested this fact.

“Is anyone with you?” he continued.

Julie looked about at the room as Kenji and Saanvi whispered and Fuzzy put on her vest.

“Yeah, Kenji and Fuzzy are with me. Also Saanvi Patel. She’s Krupa’s sister,” she said.

“Okay, it's good that you’re not alone,” he said, soothingly, “I’m on my way right now. I should be there in about ten minutes. What’s wrong?”

“I th-think that there’s a toxic practitioner in Touristville,” she said, with a small stutter.

“A what?” he asked, his tone horrified, “Are you sure.”

“No! But Kenji says he got attacked by someone and I was checking him out,” she said, “I checked him over twice and so did Chip. He got several hours stolen from his lifespan and also a bunch of other stuff is wrong with him that I don’t understand. I’m pretty sure it’ll go away with time, but I’m not positive. The magic is dark though. Really dark.”

“I’ll have him checked out as soon as possible,” said Julian, “Do you know the practitioner’s magical tradition?”

A magical tradition was shorthand for how someone interacted with magic and what kind of spirits they could summon. Sometimes this meant shamans, either religious or non-religious, sometimes this meant science based mages or wizards, but most often this meant religious practitioners of some sort. Julie looked to Kenji for confirmation.

“Feng Shui,” he said.

“Feng Shui,” she repeated.

Julian swore over the intercom.

“Okay, that’s good and bad,” said Julian, “Good because he’s most likely going to turtle up behind his defenses until he’s prepared, but bad because they can divine the future. Not perfectly, often it’s not even well, but they can do it, which means I might be expected. I want all of you to leave if you think it’s safe. If you don’t think you’re safe, stay put. Summon a few spirits to protect you. I’ll be there in ten minutes. Be careful. I’ll call this number or yours when I’m close.”

“Thank you,” said Julie, relieved, “Really.”

“You’re welcome. I don’t want to hang up, but I need to make some calls for help,” he said, “I’ll see you soon. Please stay safe.”

With that he hung up. Kenji moved towards the intercom as Julie’s shoulders slumped.

“That was hard,” she whispered, “I hope I’m wrong.”

“I hope you are too,” he said.

Fuzzy stayed quiet as she checked her spearknife. Its shiny, black surface glowed dimly as a thin, white channel ran through it. It seemed to melt and reform as she cycled through its different weapon forms: Spear, staff and large knife, almost a short sword. Then she looked to her left hand, took out her bracer from her gym bag and put it on with a soft click. It was shiny and metallic silver. Like the spearknife, it looked as if it was melting before it resolved into a large round shield, though this wasn't magic, but the new Ares metamaterial. Nestled in its center was a flashpack for blinding oncoming foes. The shield and spear were designed to be a pair, and the shield had been in Sasha’s large gift box, given out shortly before she’d lost her family and life and Ares. Fuzzy decided on a spear and banged on the shield a few times. Her spearknife and shield made a sharp, metallic clang together.

“Going to have to test it,” she said.

“You haven’t tested your weapons?” asked Saanvi.

“Just my shield,” said Fuzzy, with a small grin, “I don’t get hit. Well…Not when I’m using my magic anyway.”

“Must be nice,” drawled Saanvi.

Kenji dialed Min Yun’s number and crossed his fingers. It rolled over to voicemail and so he spoke.

“It’s Kenji, I’m calling you again. Don’t turn off your commlink,” he said.

He hung up and called again, feeling increasingly nervous. Before he could hit redial the intercom rang and he picked it up.

“Kenji,” said Min Yun, sleepily, “What’s wrong?”

“I need your help,” said Kenji, quickly, “I need my delver’s kit, another kit for someone about my size, and one...No, make that two sets of armor for someone my size and the nastiest ammo you have. Gas masks too, the ones with the flash resistant lenses. Also is there any chance that you still have those armor piercing rounds?”

Julie and Fuzzy were openly staring at him. He was glad that Saanvi was off to one side, because her poker face was crap. She didn’t look surprised at all and that was a problem since Julie and Fuzzy didn't know that she was a newbie shadowrunner. He needed to help her work on at least feigning surprise.

“I have few magazines worth,” she said, “What problem?”

“Toxic Feng Shui Practitioner,” said Kenji, seriously, “And no, I’m not loving around. I’m in Touristville’s east end in a restaurant called Eighty-eight Tastes of China. It’s right next to the entrance. How fast can you be here with the gear?”

There was a shuffling sound as Min Yun began to move.

“I hit Clever’s and go. Is just next door. See if can bring some other along,” she said, quickly, in her broken English, “And Kenji, know about bounty, yes?”

“A bounty?” he asked.

“Yes,” she said, and he could almost see her wolfish smile, “All toxics worth million nuyen alive. Open bounty.”

“gently caress, really?” he asked.

“Yes. Have backup?” she asked, “Need backup.”

“Maybe,” he said, dubiously, “He might be expecting trouble or at least looking for it.”

“Not good. Never faced toxic before, but faced many scary things for less money. Will hurry. Maybe no kill him if can, only if have to,” she mused, ”Bye.”

Kenji looked at his friends. They looked back at him. Julie looked shocked. He’d told her about his past in broad strokes last summer. How he’d been a delver, how he’d even killed people, though most of those had been mercy killings to keep from leaving people in the Delve. She’d accepted it and him at the time, which had felt wonderful, but hearing talking about it and seeing him live it seemed to be two very different things for her. Fuzzy was grim-faced, but he could read her body language. She was more focused on an upcoming fight. Without saying anything, she looked away and began to stretch. Finally, Saanvi still didn’t look shocked at all and so he internally sighed. She began to pace in her small corner of the room. Not nervously, but like an predator stalking the inside of a cage.

“You’re bringing guns?” asked Julie, “Julian is coming. He’s going to help us. We don't need any of that.”

“He’s one person,” said Kenji, flatly, “I’m not planning on taking down Pinchface guns blazing. Besides, it'll be in a duffel bag, so everything should be discreet. I’ve gotten soft in the past year, but I’m done with that. I refuse to be a defenseless burden that needs to be protected by other people.”

Fuzzy grunted in agreement. Saanvi continued to stalk the room without saying anything. Julie shook her head.

“We need to go,” said Julie, “Julian said he was calling for help.”

“Which may or may not arrive,” said Kenji, “I’m being cautious.”

“Bringing gun is being cautious?!” she asked, and her voice became shrill at the end.

“Yes it is,” he said, seriously, “If enough help arrives then I leave and stay in reserve. If it doesn’t then I stay. How many people live in Touristville?”

Julie blanched in response to his question, so Kenji continued, now full of conviction.

“Because if he releases spirits down here and decides to kill everyone, he can just do it. Normal people have no real defense against them. They don’t have to be particularly strong ones either to take down a bunch of people. They’re fast, strong and can take a ton of punishment. Pistols from the Touristville police won’t do it, we need magic and real heavy hitting weapons to even scratch a spirit. If they attack then no one can scatter underground like they can topside. They'll be stuck in the tunnels. So how many people live in Touristville, Julie?”

“About two-thousand people,” she whispered.

“Right,” he said, “Which is why I’m calling in people and getting prepared. I’m used to fighting underground and in small spaces and I’m calling others who know how to do that too.”

Julie looked away. Later he’d apologize for being so harsh with her, but he’d decided that now wasn’t the time for tiptoeing around feelings. He dialed up Gentoo and like before he left a message.

“It’s Kenji. This is really important,” said Kenji, “I need help right now.”

He called a few more times, but unlike Min Yun, Gentoo didn’t pick up. It was early afternoon and shadowrunners preferred the night. Getting Min Yun’s help had been a pleasant surprise, but he could only hope that Gentoo would come. Octo wouldn’t be much help down here since most of Touristville had no wireless signal, but he tried anyway. He called her up and got no immediate response. They were probably both asleep. Then the door opened and a harried Mrs. Liu stepped in.

“What’s this about?” asked Mrs. Liu, angrily, “I will not be pushed in my own restaurant. That is not proper behavior.”

“You weren’t in the restaurant when I found you and you weren’t moving fast enough to come back,” said Chip, seriously, “I wouldn’t hurry you without a reason. I’m sorry.”

She sniffed and carefully brushed off her suit as she composed herself.

“Very well,” she said, “I have been laying the groundwork by speaking to other shop owners that I trust. When you are ready I shall gather them.”

Kenji had a bad feeling in his stomach.

“Did you tell them that Pinchface has magic?” asked Kenji, quietly.

“Certainly not,” said Mrs. Liu, “Consensus takes time to build. This is politics and politics moves slowly because the stakes are high. Therefore I was moving cautiously before I was so roughly handled. This does not help me, Kenji.”

“I’m sorry,” said Chip, “It’s important.”

“Well what is so important?” she snapped, “Being roughly handled in front of people who respect me is…”

“We suspect that Pinchface is toxic,” Kenji interrupted, “And he may be expecting trouble. Banishing him from the community is no longer an option.“

Mrs. Liu’s face twisted into open horror and she froze, finger pointed in the air. That finger began to shake and she carefully pulled it back into a fist.

“He’s…He’s one of those terrorists?” she stuttered.

“Probably,” said Kenji, “He's using forbidden magic. If Julie is right he stole six hours off my lifespan."

Mrs. Liu shivered and hugged herself.

"We’ve called for help and might call for more," he continued.

“They’re...They're coming now?” she asked, quietly.

Saanvi continued to pace. Fuzzy continued to stretch. Julie murmured and finally summoned her bound spirits, though since the office was small she summoned them into the astral so everyone wouldn’t get crushed against the walls in Mrs. Liu’s tiny office.

“Within the next few minutes,” said Kenji, “Why?”

“The…The bombing,” stammered Mrs. Liu, “Since that terrorist bombing, if a human comes down without a guide and isn’t known to the community, everyone is warned. We knock on windows to let everyone know. All of Touristville is on alert. Tell me your help isn’t human. Ms. Freeman, you didn’t tell him?”

“No one told me. I just got back last night,” she said, anxiously.

That bad feeling in Kenji’s stomach doubled in intensity.

“One of them,” said Kenji, quickly, “I’ll call her.”

Kenji tried to call Min Yun, but it went straight to voice mail. Then it began to ring, but was the wrong number, probably Julian's, but he didn't stay to check. Ten minutes. It had been ten minutes. Without another word he fled out the room.

--

Rolled some dice and the teens did not have time to warn everyone since Min Yun was able to get out of the ACHE ahead of schedule. It'll be part of a larger update.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 13, 2018

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Whelp, sounds like the calm is about to break. Let's hope that this dude is busy dozing off in the back of his store instead of amped up after seeing a hazy future that told him to prepare for a fight.

e: vvvv :regd10:

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 13, 2018

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Whelp, sounds like the calm is about to break. Let's hope that this dude is busy dozing off in the back of his store instead of amped up after seeing a hazy future that told him to prepare for a fight.

:unsmigghh:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oooooh boy. :f5:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
If I remember right FuckFace would have to be actively trying to see into the future, like with Tarot Cards, rather than a flash of premonition like a Jedi. But it's simple to solve the Min Yun problem. Just have Chio warn her when she enters. He's faster and as a shaman she should know right away he's a spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

If I remember right FuckFace would have to be actively trying to see into the future, like with Tarot Cards, rather than a flash of premonition like a Jedi. But it's simple to solve the Min Yun problem. Just have Chio warn her when she enters. He's faster and as a shaman she should know right away he's a spirit.

Chip is a known and respected factor in the Underground. Let's have him zip up and escort her in, that way nobody feels the need to sound the whisper alarm.