Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Valtonen posted:

You have to remember that cold war US didnt have a constant problem of States trying to call it quits and join Canada/declare independence. For USSR/WP this was a problem, especially when glasnost rolled about. USSR was never a federation of the willing but federation of the forced.
The USSR never bankrolled the Daughters of the Confederacy, did it? It would explain a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Valtonen posted:

You have to remember that cold war US didnt have a constant problem of States trying to call it quits and join Canada/declare independence. For USSR/WP this was a problem, especially when glasnost rolled about. USSR was never a federation of the willing but federation of the forced.

You forgot France.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GUNS posted:

It seems like in the US they just sort you by the Pantone shade of your skin when you get off the boat. One of my old roommates was an Indian woman who was sort of a medium caramel color and she spoke exactly like an upper-class Brit--sometimes she was spoken to by Hispanic people as though she were one of them, and sometimes her white colleagues would draw her aside and tell her what they really thought of The Blacks (implying that she could be trusted to hear the racism, that she was one of them).

My (British) mum one described my mixed race white/malysian sister in law as "sort of latte coloured"

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

vuk83 posted:

Could the us navy's army''s airforce operate something like the a4 of one of the baby carriers

You can see A-4s parked on the back of an LHA here:

But this wasn't ideal; that's why they moved to these:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

LatwPIAT posted:

To be honest I'm just here to talk about tanks and other AFVs. I've learned how to tell the difference between every T-72 model operated by East Germany, I might as well use it for something. :v:

I don't think I could pass that test...

I'm thinking of putting together some Polish T-72s for a Team Yankee (better yet, Battlefront: NOTRHAG when that comes out) army, so I need to read up on Polish T-72s...

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

LatwPIAT posted:

Awkwardly mixing metaphors? M16-chan canonically queer?
Canon accepted for all AR-15 variants. Have any of them had lower receiver redesigns or have the "moral guardians" of the Army prevented that so far?

C.M. Kruger posted:

It's worth noting that the Russians attempted to obtain two Mistral class LHDs, which ended up being bought by Egypt at-cost after the French decided hey maybe it's not the best idea to sell amphibs to the country that just went full Anschluss and started a civil war in Ukraine. So at a minimum it appears that at least up until 2014, Russian naval planners considered the lack of amphibious capabilities to be something that needed to be worked on.
Ah, now a discussion of Russian strategic aims is something else entirely, because Russia wants to be a giant hyperpower who can war you at a moment's notice. Or at least, the Russian government want to be able to sell that narrative to their citizens. The Mistrals would have been an important part of that, I think, but as of 2014 they're retroactively something that Russia never really needed. They would have been nice, of course, but this just demonstrates how the entire world is set against Russia and you need to trust Daddy Putin because he's the only one who can protect you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that seems like a simplistic read on Russia's strategic ambitions

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I think a lot of assessments of Russian strategic aims go awry because of assuming they have A Plan, when the evidence suggests what they actually have is a list of ranked priorities and a high degree of risk tolerance.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Cessna posted:

You can see A-4s parked on the back of an LHA here:

But this wasn't ideal; that's why they moved to these:

Why wasn't it ideal? They operated a-4s fine of Essex's, why not of amphibs?
Was the harrier better than a-4s?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

It's not the 17th century because both the French and English language sources I have seen refer to the people we would call black as "Africans of many kingdoms" or of "[x] kingdom" while they refer to themselves as "subjects of the king of [x]." It isn't biological yet, it's political, and the case can be made that the vocabulary is putting everyone on an even footing.

This can also be seen in 17th century literature on the subject. For example the late 17th century proto-novel Oroonoko: or, the Royal Slave by Aphra Behn is about a slave revolt in British Guyana. It's not really anti-slavery, but the protoganist is a formerly African King who is portrayed as noble in his rebellion. It's been a while since I read the book but as I recall its implicit throughout the work that the important division between peoples is that between the people and the nobility whose rule is necessary for a just society. Her concept of racial difference is much less developed than what we would see in the next century.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
PzIII Ausf. E and F

Queue: PzIII Ausf. G and H, Trials of the PzIII Ausf. H in the USSR, PzIII Ausf.J-N, Russian Renault, Nashorn/Hornisse, Medium Tank M4A2E8, P.1000 and other work by Grotte, KV-100 and KV-122, Cruiser Tank Mk.I, Cruiser Tank Mk.II, Valentine III and V, Valentine IX, Valentine X and XI, 7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR, Modern Polish tank projects, SD-100 (Czech SU-100 clone), TACAM R-2, kpúv vz. 34, kpúv vz. 37, kpúv vz. 38, IS-1 (IS-85), IS-2 (object 240), Production of the IS-2, IS-2 modernization projects, GMC M8, First Soviet assault rifles, Stahlhelm in WWI, Stahlhelm in WWII, SU-76 with big guns, Panther trials in the USSR, Western spherical tanks, S35 in German service, SU-152 combat debut, 57 mm gun M1, T-34 applique armour projects

Available for request:

:ussr:
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5
KV-85
Tank sleds
T-80 (the light tank)
Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers
DS-39 tank machinegun
MS-1/T-18
Kalashnikov's debut works
MS-1 production
Kalashnikov-Petrov self-loading carbine
SU-76M (SU-15M) production
S-51
SU-76I
T-26 with mine detection equipment
IS-2 mod. 1944

:britain:
Archer
Challenger I

:911:
Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR
HMC T82
Medium Tank M4A4
Hellcat

:godwin:
Jagdpanzer IV
Grosstraktor
Gebirgskanone M 15
Maus development in 1943-44
German anti-tank rifles
Panzer IV/70
Czech anti-tank rifles in German service
Hotchkiss H 39/Pz.Kpfw.38H(f) in German service

:france:
Hotchkiss H 35 and H 39

:italy:
FIAT 3000
FIAT L6-40
M13/40, M14/41, M15/42
Carro Armato P40 and prospective Italian heavy tanks

:poland:
Experimental Polish tanks of the 1930s

:eurovision:
Trials of the LT vz. 35 in the USSR

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

This is great stuff. I'd like to put in a request for the Chally, assuming you mean the FV4030/4.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

FrangibleCover posted:

This is great stuff. I'd like to put in a request for the Chally, assuming you mean the FV4030/4.

Nope, this is the A30 Challenger, the one where they tried to put a 17-pounder into a Cromwell.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Ensign Expendable posted:

Nope, this is the A30 Challenger, the one where they tried to put a 17-pounder into a Cromwell.

I've got less interest in that one I'm afraid. I know it sucked for sure, jury's still out on the 4030/4.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm not a big fan of historical dramas where a lot of the action is bottle episodes in certain rooms but drat Fall Of The Eagles really captured some of the weirdness with that whole thing.

I literally discovered this series a month ago and went through the whole thing in a weekend. The whole series is on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo21LRTc1Uc&index=13&list=PLwgsQdeFyEnNkjESzH-0AXwJuX_wrS0_W

Strong recommendation.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

vuk83 posted:

Why wasn't it ideal? They operated a-4s fine of Essex's, why not of amphibs?

Rolling takeoffs require a lot of open, clear deck space.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

vuk83 posted:

Vastly. The versatility in itself, but harrier was over ten years younger in a period where military and naval aviation was having multiple revolutions in a decade.

Takeoff space is also a huge concernbut apparently not enough to have skijumps on Tarawas.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Cessna posted:

Rolling takeoffs require a lot of open, clear deck space.

harriers do/f35s will do rolling take offs when carrying a combat load. when there are fixed wing flight ops occurring, i dont think you can use the deck of a lha for much of anything else.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vahakyla posted:

Vastly. The versatility in itself, but harrier was over ten years younger in a period where military and naval aviation was having multiple revolutions in a decade.

Takeoff space is also a huge concernbut apparently not enough to have skijumps on Tarawas.

So the skijumps help that much huh. I knew they wouldn't do them just for aesthetics but it seems so... quaint compared to CATOBAR. I guess these planes got quite a bit of thrust and depending on the angle that can put them up high enough that they wont just come splashing back down

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I have a Webley Mk.VI and SMLE Mk.III* built in 1915 and '16, respectively, with a bayonet for the rifle made in March of '18. As of today, they've all been retired for a hundred years. How 'bout that.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

vyelkin posted:

Yes we can honestly think of one war that was absolutely needed: the Great Patriotic War.
"Needed" is a weird word to use there... The Soviet Union signed the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact in 1939 and invaded west (killing hundreds of thousands of people in combat and in massacres after combat), while Germany invaded east (doing pretty much the same), what are the chances that these two brutal dictatorships would decide to trust each other and co-exist peacefully? It's only a matter of time before one of them decides "let's do it to them before they do it to us", but still, did that really "need" to happen?

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

So the skijumps help that much huh. I knew they wouldn't do them just for aesthetics but it seems so... quaint compared to CATOBAR. I guess these planes got quite a bit of thrust and depending on the angle that can put them up high enough that they wont just come splashing back down
Essentially, compared to a flat-deck ship, a ship with a ski-jump gives a Harrier up to an extra 2000lbs of payload for the same take off run. For that level of performance I'd go much quainter than a ramp. Hell, I'd wood-panel the whole exterior for 1000lbs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Chillbro Baggins posted:

I have a Webley Mk.VI and SMLE Mk.III* built in 1915 and '16, respectively, with a bayonet for the rifle made in March of '18. As of today, they've all been retired for a hundred years. How 'bout that.

Did they go through the FTR process? They could easily have been soldiering on for decades after.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tarawa is ferrying that A-4, not operating it. You’re not getting even an unloaded A-4 off of, or back onto an LHA; They have no catapults, and no arresting gear.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

MrYenko posted:

Tarawa is ferrying that A-4, not operating it. You’re not getting even an unloaded A-4 off of, or back onto an LHA; They have no catapults, and no arresting gear.

Also no angled flight deck, which I imagine would make landing a fast jet with no arresting gear and parked aircraft in front of it a...hair raising experience, to say the least

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Did they go through the FTR process? They could easily have been soldiering on for decades after.

FTR? The rifle was restocked/upgraded to * spec in India (it has the Ishapore stock-reinforcing bolt and had the wire wrap until I cut it off), the revolver and bayonet don't have any markings other than those from the British Government and the factories, and export proof stamps on the former (it's milled to take .45ACP in moonclips.) The bayonet I bought on ebay from an American soldier in Iraq, so it's been around as well. But you know what I meant.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Chillbro Baggins posted:

FTR? The rifle was restocked/upgraded to * spec in India (it has the Ishapore stock-reinforcing bolt and had the wire wrap until I cut it off), the revolver and bayonet don't have any markings other than those from the British Government and the factories, and export proof stamps on the former (it's milled to take .45ACP in moonclips.) The bayonet I bought on ebay from an American soldier in Iraq, so it's been around as well. But you know what I meant.

Factory Thorough Repair - basically they refurbished and upgraded them to whatever the latest spec was. You see it happen in a couple of waves. I know there was a process for refurbishing WW1 weapons for use in the inter-war period, both by the regular military and second line units or to sent out to the colonial forces. There was another one in 1952 that IIRC was mostly aimed at getting weapons in the hands of friendly countries (frequently commonwealth) for use by their militaries that eventually end up in the hands of police etc. You see a lot of FTR'd enfields coming out of India, for example.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

tag yourself

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm the guy who doesn't post meme garbage.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

cyberbug posted:

"Needed" is a weird word to use there... The Soviet Union signed the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact in 1939 and invaded west (killing hundreds of thousands of people in combat and in massacres after combat), while Germany invaded east (doing pretty much the same), what are the chances that these two brutal dictatorships would decide to trust each other and co-exist peacefully? It's only a matter of time before one of them decides "let's do it to them before they do it to us", but still, did that really "need" to happen?

Both of them had decided that they needed to end the other years before they ever signed the pact, and that view was held by both parties up until the first German gun fired the first shell of Operation Barbarossa. The Molotov-Ribbentrop pact was by no means considered a permanent alliance by either party. Both of them viewed it as a temporary truce to give them time to build up their forces. Germany viewed it as a way to get the USSR off their back while they dealt with the UK and France, at which point they would deal with the USSR. The USSR viewed it as a way to build up their forces while the Nazis and the Capitalists fought amongst themselves and exhausted each other.

The ideology of both necessitated the destruction of the other. Both planned to attack the other after the treaty had served it's purpose. Both were convinced the other was building up forces to destroy the other. Both were accurate in their evaluation of the other. There is no plausible timeline where Molotov-Rippentropp is not broken by either party.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 12, 2018

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
So as an offhand thing in the beginning of Castles of Steel it mentions that South America was having a bit of a naval arms race when World War I was getting underway. I'm really ignorant about South American history at this time period - what exactly was the background for that?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

What can one expect to find in a high end, modern, large antiship missile like the soviets loved? I suppose there should be something that talks to the rest of the salvo and the launch platform for coordination, an ECM pod, perhaps other countermeasures, I'm guessing both an IR camera and a radar to make sure they can see their target? I suppose they'd fly either in a really high ballistic arc or very close to the sea, perhaps with one popping up every now and then in the last phases to make sure the target is still there?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

StandardVC10 posted:

So as an offhand thing in the beginning of Castles of Steel it mentions that South America was having a bit of a naval arms race when World War I was getting underway. I'm really ignorant about South American history at this time period - what exactly was the background for that?

Argentina and Chile had been in a dick measuring contest with their respective navies a few years prior and so wound up with relatively large modern fleets while Brazil had no navy of substance. This wasn't ideal as their economy was almost completely dependent on overseas export.

About the same time Brazil started to get its poo poo together as a country and found itself with a whole lot of extra money and so naturally the place to direct all those excess funds was into battleships. Argentina and Chile responded in kind because you can't have a battleship gap and who knows how long it would've gone on for before the war intervened.

it is really funny in hindsight given the political and strategic positions of all of those countries....what they really needed was a large cruiser and patrol fleet. never underestimate the appeal of the battleship as a show of national prestige and or penis size I suppose.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

FrangibleCover posted:

Canon accepted for all AR-15 variants. Have any of them had lower receiver redesigns or have the "moral guardians" of the Army prevented that so far?

Those AR-15 types are all Direct Impingement...if you know what I mean.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

MrYenko posted:

I could swear I read that they tried a test landing in the early 70s when the LHAs were new, but I can't find a source - I may well be wrong.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

I've heard a few times that the Dutch concept of strategic inundations was killed by the bomber, but I don't really think that's true. Bombers, and by extension Airborne troops can be countered by a robust air defence network that's essentially the modern equivalent of a fort line. Indeed, the Invasion of the Netherlands in 1940 was a bit of a shoestring operation and could have failed if the Germans were a little less lucky or the Dutch a little more demolitions-happy. Market Garden was a mess because it had to cross too many water obstacles. Walcheren wasn't exactly a walk in the park either. Obviously even in a WW2 environment with attacking air superiority the large water obstacle is still useful as long as it's properly covered. I think it is fair to say that the strategic importance of flooding was greatly diminished during the Cold War by nuclear weapons and an opponent who made sure the majority of their AFVs could swim with minimal preparation and obviously today with a Dutchman having to drive through two countries in any direction to find one that isn't an ally the idea is silly. But do you guys think the idea is dead forever or are there areas of the world where it could be put into practice? AFVs are getting heavier and less amphibious again...

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

And now for something totally different:

The American Revolutionary War, as told by Japan during the last decade of the Edo period.

Featuring Ben Franklin pulling a cannon off of the carriage to fire it two-handed, Washington fighting a British serpent with the help of a giant eagle, the evil British tiger-dragon, John Adams fighting the British demon-tiger, and the surprising presence of archers in the war.

And who could forget when Washington had to fight black British soldiers while having a sword duel with an English Asura demon to save Ms. Carolina.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

golden bubble posted:

And now for something totally different:

The American Revolutionary War, as told by Japan during the last decade of the Edo period.

Featuring Ben Franklin pulling a cannon off of the carriage to fire it two-handed, Washington fighting a British serpent with the help of a giant eagle, the evil British tiger-dragon, John Adams fighting the British demon-tiger, and the surprising presence of archers in the war.

Why hasn't this been made into an anime?