Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Spacebump posted:

Hard to say "with just about everyone in the voting public" when he didn't get more votes than Hillary though. I like Bernie but to get out of the primary you need more votes.

i'm not talking about the primary though? ever since 2016, his popularity across all political persuasions has grown, and he's now the most popular currently elected politician in america. even if "hillary got more votes", that doesn't matter a lot when he is clearly incredibly popular right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

you see, because you said a thing that was true in all caps and elongated, that makes it not true, and good actually.

in further "no, honestly, vote dems if you want left-wing policy to pass" news:

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1061689011259944960

Isn't this what happened in New Jersey regarding tax increases, despite Gov. Murphy supporting them?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

STAC Goat posted:

To be honest, I actually always thought it was a hyperbolic exaggeration that USPOL couldn't stop arguing about Hillary vs Bernie. Huh. Live and learn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9270u0MkI2w

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Tucker got into a fight after someone called his daughter a oval office, and his son threw something at the person.

https://twitter.com/denverpost/status/1061741435635068929

Completely normal people.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

STAC Goat posted:

To be honest, I actually always thought it was a hyperbolic exaggeration that USPOL couldn't stop arguing about Hillary vs Bernie. Huh. Live and learn
Yeah this was a fun experiment and all, but can we unfuck the thread already and split this poo poo out again?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Teeth posted:

Isn't this what happened in New Jersey regarding tax increases, despite Gov. Murphy supporting them?

No weed, either.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Tucker got into a fight after someone called his daughter a oval office, and his son threw something at the person.

A bar scuffle at the "Farmington Country Club bar". lol

STAC Goat posted:

This discussion isn't about "Hillary vs. Bernie". It's about whether super delegates in democratic primaries are a good or useful idea.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 11, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Spacebump posted:

Hard to say "with just about everyone in the voting public" when he didn't get more votes than Hillary though. I like Bernie but to get out of the primary you need more votes.

he did do that, just in a lot of the smaller contests where even if he was blowing out the caucses with the 70-30 margin he needed, he just couldn't rely on them to make up the votes

meanwhile in the first major voting day of the election, Clinton managed to take a run of like 65-70% of the vote in a bunch of open primaries and got herself a 200 pledged delegate cushion that just kept inflating for the rest of the primaries

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Hi thread, since we continue to not understand basic things like "how voting work?" and "what are numbers, really?" let's have a quick refresher.

This is page two hundred and twenty eight since the midterm. Even if every single post was from a unique poster (which clearly is not the case) that's under 10,000 people spread out throughout the world.

Let's imagine all those 10,000 imaginary posters were living in florida, and they all (except for you) were the "dems bad" types who, despite overwhelming evidence ITT to the contrary, all decided to abstain from voting because Dianne Wasserman-Schultz didn't personally show up at their doorstep with an engraved invitation and a rock-solid contract to push the exact policies they wanted.

This still would not have made a loving difference in the election. Do you understand that? Do you really, truly and honestly understand that? Because holy poo poo I see so much venom spit at posters here you'd think they personally made the difference that got us into hellscape. I've got a phrase for you, one that you need to repeat every night before bed, and every morning before you get moving. Tattoo it on the inside of your eyelids if that's what it takes to actually remember this: statistical numbers of people making a choice are not individual actions. We cannot have an honest discussion about the state of politics if there's people who do not understand this basic fact. It is the responsibility of each voter to make a choice to the best of their limited ability and in a sea of false, contradictory or deliberately misleading information. When statistical numbers of people make a choice contrary to what you did, it's not due to them being mentally defective, it's due to parties appealing to their interests which may not align with yours. Or they may, but people don't play 15th dimensional chess and vote for the immediate term, and while this may be a shocker to you, "I will bring the jobs back" is an immediate-term claim even if it is a lie.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Fascinated what the excuse will be if a more moderate Democrat ends up getting more votes than the leftist again in the 2020 primary. Is it possible that more Democratic voters have moderate views, wrongheaded as we think they may be? And being a moderate isn't that unthinkable given the party platform is more generally more progressive than it was 10-25 years ago.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah this was a fun experiment and all, but can we unfuck the thread already and split this poo poo out again?

Check the USNEWS thread for all your Actual Politics News needs.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

KingNastidon posted:

Fascinated what the excuse will be if a more moderate Democrat ends up getting more votes than the leftist again in the 2020 primary. Is it possible that more Democratic voters have moderate views, wrongheaded as we think they may be? And being a moderate isn't that unthinkable given the party platform is more generally more progressive than it was 10-25 years ago.

don't polls usually show the voters are to the left of most of the party? this seems doubtful.

e: to elaborate, even in 2008 obama was seen as the progressive outsider and he won over clinton, the establishment moderate. obama campaigned on a public option, being tough on the banks, ending the wars and passing a big stimulus package. and this was a decade ago.

Stexils fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 11, 2018

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Yeah, between that thread, shameless plug the State/Local thread, and the lol@trump thread in cspam, most of your bases are covered and you don't need to venture into this raging tire fire unless it's having a good day.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Lightning Knight posted:

This is high art and I put it in the OP.

:toot:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I made a big effort thread about Voting Reform in the US. I hope people like it/post in it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874142

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I don't care if you want to criticize the Democrats for being huge goobers right now but honestly shut the gently caress up about the 2016 primary, it's boring.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't care if you want to criticize the Democrats for being huge goobers right now but honestly shut the gently caress up about the 2016 primary, it's boring.

seriously. i post "bernie is very popular and the dems should embrace him" and immediately someone posts "yeah but he lost the 2016 primary" as if that's relevant to what I posted. not everything has to spiral into 2016 people

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

I certainly feel enlightened by... Ahahaha, this... hahaha, the.. ahahaha, 'plurality of expression'. It's also very witty and funny. Good times.

Anyway. Are we sure the insane election fraud conspiracy theories, now literally repeated and boosted, by republican top brass, won't be treated as completely real? Going by the fringe it's sure to incite at least s couple of lunatics over the edge, right? The question is to which degree it will influence the outcomes (courts and so on) I guess?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

KingNastidon posted:

Given how moderates are losing country-wide, it is not actually possible

centrism is a toxic ideology that does nothing but enable the worst of society

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Yinlock posted:

That's an... extreme opinion. :smuggo:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

If that's really what happened, as much as it pains me to say it, I'm on Tucker Carlson's side and probably would have reacted in a similar manner if it were my daughter.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
Between now and 2020 what can be done? Aside from a possible runoff and the occasional special election, the most important thing I think going forward would be an organized boycott of advertisers on white nationalist outlets like CNN and the NYT.

If we see yet another Nazi on a CNN roundtable, capture every advertiser in the halfhour around it and boycott them. When the NYT runs another "friendly nazi next door who just wants to peacefully gas everyone who doesn't look like him why can't you agree to disagree" boycott every advertiser in that days paper.

There's no other way to get the media to stop being so incredibly lovely.

E: There will be another "butter emails" in 2020, where the media bothsides trumps continual stream of shitheadedness vs probably made-up "scandal" for his opponent. Boycott the gently caress out of them for that poo poo and do it as loudly as possible.

Harik fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 12, 2018

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lightning Knight posted:

Twitter and Facebook make a big song and dance of purging bots and cooperating with Congress but most of their money comes from the same source as Fox News: gullible olds and twitchy white suburbanites afraid of the Other, and how easy they are to sell garbage to.

I bet a chud-friendly version of candy crush, clash of clans, or whatever is the in-app-purchase Skinner box app style of the day would make some serious cash off these gullible idiots. "Connect 3 of the same brick to make the wall another foot taller! Oh no you got thwarted by the Deep State because your Patriot Boost ran out, spend 700Tgold to MAGA again?"

Taking their money is practically a public service.

RasperFat posted:

I’m actually curious about the bot purges.

Do they ever release a list which accounts were purged?

I would imagine it’s almost entirely MAGADEPLORABLE533334453 types, but knowing Jack I feel like they would put intense effort into banning leftist bots, despite the conservative ones being 10X more prevalent.

That way they can say they did their job and both sides are equally bad. See! We found 25,000 bots for each side!

They sometimes release lists of the accounts that get caught and invariably they have been full of accounts which were flagged as bots by news agencies or researchers months earlier.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 12, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Shifty Pony posted:

I bet a chud-friendly version of candy crush, clash of clans, or whatever is the in-app-purchase Skinner box app style of the day would make some serious cash off these gullible idiots. "Connect 3 of the same brick to make the wall another foot taller! Oh no you got thwarted by the Deep State because your Patriot Boost ran out, spend 700Tgold to MAGA again?"

There are definitely already idle games and other stuff on the iPhone store that are Donald Trump/MAGA themed and have been since 2016.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lightning Knight posted:

Literally called out as an okay thing to post about in the OP that you wrote.

" BUT LK, I WANT TO DISCUSS SOMETHING SPECIFIC AND IT’LL GET LOST IN THE FOREVER WAR BETWEEN BERNIE STANS AND HILLARY STANS!
Good news! We have a number of threads about specific topics:"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Which has had about 20 posts in 2 hours.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Stexils posted:

don't polls usually show the voters are to the left of most of the party? this seems doubtful.

e: to elaborate, even in 2008 obama was seen as the progressive outsider and he won over clinton, the establishment moderate. obama campaigned on a public option, being tough on the banks, ending the wars and passing a big stimulus package. and this was a decade ago.

And the party and platform adapt and move leftward, albeit slower than many here would like. There really are just a lot of comfortable, lifetime Democratic voters that actually prefer the moderate/centrist wing or at least are more naturally inclined to vote for them than the "extreme" choice. The vast majority of D primary voters know, and will ever care about, a fraction of the policy differences that are considered extremely important here.

I think we can agree that Obama was a fairly exceptional candidate and politician regardless of his policy positioning. And the primary was very close. Sanders is uniquely good too, but not as good, which is probably why he got fewer votes in the primary. There are just a lot of middle america wine mom types that are generally going to go for the center.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Yinlock posted:

Given how moderates are losing country-wide, it is not actually possible

Centrists also believe in the existence of a silent centrist majority. Just waiting for the arrival of the mythical centrist Muad'Dib to come lead them to political victory as they sweep away all these left and right wing opinion havers.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Literally called out as an okay thing to post about in the OP that you wrote.

" BUT LK, I WANT TO DISCUSS SOMETHING SPECIFIC AND IT’LL GET LOST IN THE FOREVER WAR BETWEEN BERNIE STANS AND HILLARY STANS!
Good news! We have a number of threads about specific topics:"

I too do not understand sarcasm or jokes, OOCC.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Shifty Pony posted:

Taking their money is practically a public service.

They sometimes release lists of the accounts that get caught and invariably they have been full of accounts which were flagged as bots by news agencies or researchers months earlier.

Yeah and it's nowhere near 25,000. I think the last one by Twitter got something like 250 "inauthentic accounts"

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Shifty Pony posted:

There's some shithead injecting bot accounts into the #campfire hashtag with GIS'd photos and "have you seen my grandad?" Cut & pasted from legitimate grieving relatives. I'm sure @Samuel8176259 is a real person, twitter, who actually registered yesterday just to post that.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Which has had about 20 posts in 2 hours.

Yeah, and?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lightning Knight posted:

There are definitely already idle games and other stuff on the iPhone store that are Donald Trump/MAGA themed and have been since 2016.

iPhone? Well there's the problem. I was thinking that Trump supporters would be more of a "I got this phone for free and I didn't have to visit no drat snotty Apple store to get it! I'm gonna make my kids show me how to get all these icons off the screen when they visit in Thanksgiving" crowd.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

With respect to the conversation at hand, it doesn't matter what the convention rules are if every election tracker still gifts a delegate to a candidate any time a superdelegate announces who they support. I agree that it would now be even more pointless to do so than it was in the past, so hopefully that takes care of itself, but little surprises me.

If we can stop the media from doing stupid things though there’s going to be a LOT of changes and I don’t know this cracks the top ten of things to try to get them not to do.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

The GOP elite talked up immigration reform that would favor big buisness for decades because that's what big buisness wanted and the GOP is beholden to them. It is what really sank Bush 43s presidency, not Katrina. The base revolted.

Yeah, what about it? The moment that it looked like not going full chud would cost them more electorally than going full chud the GOP establishment happily went along with it because they never actually gave a poo poo about not being racist. They weren't exactly dragged kicking and screaming to supporting white supremacy.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1061754247321026560

why would anyone want hillary to run again? it'd be nicer if the dems won in 2020

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Shifty Pony posted:

iPhone? Well there's the problem. I was thinking that Trump supporters would be more of a "I got this phone for free and I didn't have to visit no drat snotty Apple store to get it! I'm gonna make my kids show me how to get all these icons off the screen when they visit in Thanksgiving" crowd.

I mean I'm sure that equivalents exist on Android, I simply haven't had an android in about five years.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Harik posted:

There's some shithead injecting bot accounts into the #campfire hashtag with GIS'd photos and "have you seen my grandad?" Cut & pasted from legitimate grieving relatives. I'm sure @Samuel8176259 is a real person, twitter, who actually registered yesterday just to post that.

one strange recent bot phenomenon i spotted was on election day there was this flood of right-wing bots all posting about how turnout in Broward and other South Florida places was low and there was no way dems had any chance in florida

i have no clue why this was a message some particular botnet settled on - i assume because they were hoping to suppress the vote by saying it wasn't worth trying - but they pretty successfully convinced a bunch of rando old white people it was true and the message spread quite quickly for a few hours. i haven't seen anyone mention this instance but I assume it wasn't the only place that was tried

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

I too do not understand sarcasm or jokes, OOCC.

StealthArcher posted:

OOCC has never been anything but a low-rate Fulchrum/rkajdi merger. And somehow often worse than both of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, what about it? The moment that it looked like not going full chud would cost them more electorally than going full chud the GOP establishment happily went along with it because they never actually gave a poo poo about not being racist. They weren't exactly dragged kicking and screaming to supporting white supremacy.

No they just wrote a bunch of op eds and books blaming identity politics and campus activists for why they have been forced to support white supremacists.