Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I'm sorry that my asking about which legion the dark mechanicus most likes to rub dicks with apparently bothered people?

It seemed to me to be a pretty decent fluff question and wasn't really connected to any plans or modeling ideas.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

I'm sorry that my asking about which legion the dark mechanicus most likes to rub dicks with apparently bothered people?

It seemed to me to be a pretty decent fluff question and wasn't really connected to any plans or modeling ideas.

:shrug:

You ask these same nothing questions constantly and it kinda grates on people.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's hypocritical to say this but the one universal truth about forums is that posting about posting sucks.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

It's hypocritical to say this but the one universal truth and forums that posting about posting sucks.

The thread sucks as do all who dwell within.

Post models:

Raphus C fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 12, 2018

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
So I'm about to paint up some models in a Black Legion scheme, and I'm wondering about airbrush shortcuts for models that do the gold filagree thing (e.g the gold on black for BL or the gold on blue for 1k Sons); will it save any time to prime black, use masking fluid on the armor, and then spraying the gold? I had the thought that it would be easier/faster to use masking fluid, since getting a bit of that on the gold is maybe easier to fix than getting black on the gold if I hand painted the armor.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

fashionly snort posted:

So I'm about to paint up some models in a Black Legion scheme, and I'm wondering about airbrush shortcuts for models that do the gold filagree thing (e.g the gold on black for BL or the gold on blue for 1k Sons); will it save any time to prime black, use masking fluid on the armor, and then spraying the gold? I had the thought that it would be easier/faster to use masking fluid, since getting a bit of that on the gold is maybe easier to fix than getting black on the gold if I hand painted the armor.

Prime in gold, paint in black. Be careful.

If you do gently caress it up, I personally find it easier to scrape the black off and then repaint gold on bare plastic. For tiny gently caress-ups. For major gently caress-ups try not to do that.

EDIT: you said airbrushing, please disregard.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 12, 2018

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

fashionly snort posted:

Do your black + highlights with your airbrush then paint in the gold edging by hand. If you're going to use masking fluid (either way) you're better off just painting the details in rather than adding in yet another paint step for very little gain.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Chemically what is that? Just some sort of brushed-on hydrophobic that repels paint?

E: Here we go, looks like it's latex in water. How is it removed once you're done with the gold bits in a way that doesn't remove paint as well?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 12, 2018

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

Chemically what is that? Just some sort of brushed-on hydrophobic that repels paint?

E: Here we go, looks like it's latex in water. How is it removed once you're done with the gold bits in a way that doesn't remove paint as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4To6K3Ay1Q

Use loving google you complete idiot.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Raphus C posted:

The thread sucks as do all who dwell within.

Post models:

Nice Ork, and agreed.

Catachan Tank Commander just finished.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Z the IVth posted:

Do your black + highlights with your airbrush then paint in the gold edging by hand. If you're going to use masking fluid (either way) you're better off just painting the details in rather than adding in yet another paint step for very little gain.

Yeah, that all makes sense, but I was assuming I could be a lot sloppier with the masking than I could with actual paint (since I'm pretty sure I can just remove it with one of my silicone greenstuff/sculpting tools)

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

fashionly snort posted:

Yeah, that all makes sense, but I was assuming I could be a lot sloppier with the masking than I could with actual paint (since I'm pretty sure I can just remove it with one of my silicone greenstuff/sculpting tools)

Probably faster to brush the gold on, if you factor in the time it takes to mask around all the trim. Just do the 90 degree brush edge on the trim for speed and the touch up any mistakes with thinned black.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Booley posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4To6K3Ay1Q

Use loving google you complete idiot.

Just put him on ignore and be done with it, jesus

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

What's the tzeentchy thing behind him?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

BuffaloChicken posted:

Nice Ork, and agreed.

This rules :)

Strobe posted:

Just put him on ignore and be done with it, jesus

Please don't blaspheme.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

What's the tzeentchy thing behind him?
Crest from a Carnosaur - the bronze and turquoise also matches my Daemon army.

Wanted to make it look like one big trophy that was a tank kill (the Carnosaur crest) and one little trophy he machete'd personally (the severed Chaos head).

richyp posted:

This rules :)
Thank you!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BuffaloChicken posted:

Crest from a Carnosaur - the bronze and turquoise also matches my Daemon army.

Wanted to make it look like one big trophy that was a tank kill (the Carnosaur crest) and one little trophy he machete'd personally (the severed Chaos head).

I always like it when people do internal references like that. Very Indian In The Cupboard.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

BuffaloChicken posted:

This is a dude who knows how to party.

What are some Death Guard schemes beyond "Death Guard Green and bronze" or "Dirty-rear end bone and bronze"? I got my Plague Champion sub-assemblied up and want to do a bit more planning in the painting than I normally do.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
most of the DG schemes in the Codex are one of those two, unfortunately, with some going for a deeper/more vibrant green, more verdigris'd bronze, etc. The one exception I can recall off the top of my head is Glooming Lords, who have black armor with metallic green edging

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There's always Black Legion black and gold.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
File off all the nurgle ephemera, paint them in parade-ground pre-heresy colors and run them as Space Marines?

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
there's also the Favoured Sons and Fecund ones, would link but i'm phone posting. the most interesting one i saw in my dive though wss probably The Purge:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/The_Purge

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Cross posting some Genestealers I just finished up. Nearing completion on my Tyranid Kill Team, only Warriors and Lictors to go!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'll probably just stick with the normal scheme.. Kinda, since I don't use GW paints. I got a bottle of Thrall Skin from P3 and a Reaper Undead Skin Triad that seems like they should work as close-but-not-quite DG Green. Washing my models in Sewer Water will seem more appropriate when I start on these...

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
god drat those look amazing! what did you use for the basing?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'll probably just stick with the normal scheme.. Kinda, since I don't use GW paints. I got a bottle of Thrall Skin from P3 and a Reaper Undead Skin Triad that seems like they should work as close-but-not-quite DG Green. Washing my models in Sewer Water will seem more appropriate when I start on these...

Austin?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Cthulu Carl posted:

This is a dude who knows how to party.

What are some Death Guard schemes beyond "Death Guard Green and bronze" or "Dirty-rear end bone and bronze"? I got my Plague Champion sub-assemblied up and want to do a bit more planning in the painting than I normally do.

I like the green and bronze stuff when they're actually green and bronze and not just all color-tinted versions of brown.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

god drat those look amazing! what did you use for the basing?

Thanks! Here's the writeup I put on Reddit for the bases.

Me on reddit posted:

In a nutshell: cork, glue, and sand.

Specifically, carve some 5mm thick cork (I use The Board Dudes 4 Pack Cork Tiles) to cover a good amount of the base. You want to leave some areas bare, and make sure the cork doesn't go over the edge. Also make sure it looks rough and uneven. You want some areas hanging over other areas, some area sloping down, and avoid leaving any straight lines.

Then glue the cork down with some tacky glue, (I use Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue) and wait for it to dry.

Once dry, cover the plastic base still showing with standard Elmer's white glue (really cover it, like 1-2mm or so of glue). Then immediately start covering the glue with fine basing grit or sand (I use Gale Force 9 Fine Basing Grit). Once the all the glue is covered in grit, gently push the grit into the glue with your finger. Don't push deep enough to deform the glue, but you want to get the grit to be in the glue, not on it. At this point, also be sure to clean any grit off the sides of the base.

Once that's dry, mix more Elmer's glue with water, maybe 50-50. Using a throwaway brush, or one specifically for glue, brush the water-glue on top of all the grit. This is to seal it all in place. Let that dry.

After everything is dry, prime it all black. I use GW spray for my minis, but for bases I'll use some cheap black primer from WalMart (I paint my mins and bases separately). Then let that dry overnight.

Paint the grit using a stipple of Dryad Bark, then a drybrush of Balor Brown, finishing with a very light drybrush of Tyrant Skull. Optionally shade the grit with some Nuln Oil if you want a bit more shadow-y contrast.

Paint the cork using a drybrush of Dawnstone, followed by a drybrush of Administratum Grey on the top.

Paint the rim of the base with Steel Legion Drab.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mugaaz posted:

I like the green and bronze stuff when they're actually green and bronze and not just all color-tinted versions of brown.

So "Cartoony boogers meant to make you laugh more than wretch" green.

I'm definitely gonna have to spend time considering what route I take on my gross sons, and probably get new paint. This is good, though, since I'm still working through my Guardsmen KT.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Paint them like thousand suns who got infected somehow?

I think they would have to be red though because the blue ones are all dusty?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Hey thread, I tried out the new Ork codex in a 1000 point game against my buddy and I scored a solid victory. Death Skulls Kultur was the MVP, it was a fun game overall.

My forces: (Death Skulls)
2x Warboss (My Warlord had the +1 Toughness WT and Supa Cybork Body to make him Ded Ard)
30 Boyz with Slugga/Choppa
24 Boyz with Shoota
10 Gretchin
10 Burna Boyz in a Trukk
7 Lootas
1 Deff Dread with 2 Klaws and 2 Skorchas

His forces: (Drukhari)
3 Patrols of vehicles holding things that didn't like being charged by 30 Boyz

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Cthulu Carl posted:

So "Cartoony boogers meant to make you laugh more than wretch" green.

I'm definitely gonna have to spend time considering what route I take on my gross sons, and probably get new paint. This is good, though, since I'm still working through my Guardsmen KT.

Jesus, rough crowd.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mugaaz posted:

Jesus, rough crowd.

Wait, you think I have something against cartoony boogers? Because I don't. I just needed a way to describe that approach in contrast to the other approach I've seen of "Feel like you need a tetanus shot just looking at it".

They're equally valid approaches for a faction like Death Guard, and those examples look boss.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
alpha legion plague marines might be a different way to do death guard. Cleaner metallic blue armor with some chain and scale iconography, but still all the gross stuff hanging out.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Am I the only one who hates the off shoulder pad of the Deathwatch? It takes an otherwise quite nice colour scheme and turns them into this messy paint factory of colours.

I really wanted for a while to do the Primaris Company of Deathwatch, i.e Cawl just sends them 100 newly-minted Primaris, but couldn't decide what that shoulder should look like in that case.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Shockeh posted:

Am I the only one who hates the off shoulder pad of the Deathwatch? It takes an otherwise quite nice colour scheme and turns them into this messy paint factory of colours.

I really wanted for a while to do the Primaris Company of Deathwatch, i.e Cawl just sends them 100 newly-minted Primaris, but couldn't decide what that shoulder should look like in that case.

Flat, ceramite grey (or blank black/silver) with no iconography whatsoever. They don't need to know their Primarch, they need only to purge the xenos.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Yeah, fair. The other option was to paint them all in the colour of a Chapter, with Deathwatch pads - Thematically being an entire Company from Chapter X donated to the Deathwatch, who fight together.

Think like the Ultramarine Tyranid Hunters - A sort of... fraternity within an existing Chapter; Some kind of... Warrior Lodge, if you will.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
In one of the novels they talk about the un-chaptered primaris having a blank gray shield emblem or something like that until they get assigned to a chapter.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I like the idea of dark grey with the chapter logo in white or black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm getting my freebooters orks put together, lots of conversion bitz. Planning some vehicle conversions too.

I'm struggling to think of exactly how I want to handle the paint scheme. The codex has freebooters as kind of a combination of red & blue, which I was going to go with originally, but that feels like it'll just look like a mix of evil sunz and deathskullz. The codex also mentions that they wear garish colors, which red and blue are bright and primary but garish? Its not really clear.

Freebooters are a combination of clanless orks, so it could do to have a mix of red, blue and yellow painted orks, amongst the green and brown. But then I feel like it may be an issue on the tabletop? A unifying color might be nice, especially if I end up playing against an ork force that is red or blue.

My dudes are going to have all kinds of conversions, so that should help them stand out already, but help me figure out what color to go with?

Thoughts:

Pirate colors - red and gold? black and gold? black and white?

Garish unusual ork colors - maroon? purple?

I think maroon could look really good contrast against the green skin, but I'm not sure if I could paint it just right. I like the idea of using gold and silver to show wealth, but I need a bright color besides green to uniform my army with. Red & Blue & Black sound good but it feels like they're all taken by Evil Sunz, Deathskullz, and Goffs respectively. Hm.

I do kinda like the idea of garbing them like revolutionary war fighters, which is kinda what Dawn of War did. "redcoats". I also kinda like the joke of having my boyz be disposable "red shirts" as a star trek joke. But just green and red seems like the most common ork color scheme.