Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

you say there is no comparison between liberals and fascists, and that calling up the last liberal president's habit of tossing kids in cages is unfair.

you are presented with a prominent liberal politician, last year, calling for a toughening up of immigration standards, complete with building Trump's wall, in response to a child-stealing policy being passed.

you respond "well, that guy sucks."

the point is made, I feel.

You are willfully ignoring that Obama ended the practice of leaving unaccompanied minors in immigrant detention to prove a point that you don’t need this example to make.

Its lazy and stupid and lets Trump off the hook for zero tolerance family separations and you suck poo poo for it.

Joe Manchin is not a prominent liberal politician, literally no one cares about him until he breaks from the caucus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Luckyellow posted:

I'm just a low information voter, but why wouldn't Bernie run again in 2020?

He probably is running.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Condiv posted:

hillary should probably pick better chief strategists then. it sounds like she's picking badly if they are token liberals for fox news

this is a good point: when will Hillary apologize for her campaign staffers in 2008? we should address this first before relitigating 2016

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Hillary is gonn run again in 2020, but this time she'll have a completely different personality and policy and speaking style and campaign approach

Oh, and she is also gonna look different and will insist on you calling her a different name

But trust me, its actually Hillary

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

eke out posted:

one strange recent bot phenomenon i spotted was on election day there was this flood of right-wing bots all posting about how turnout in Broward and other South Florida places was low and there was no way dems had any chance in florida

i have no clue why this was a message some particular botnet settled on - i assume because they were hoping to suppress the vote by saying it wasn't worth trying - but they pretty successfully convinced a bunch of rando old white people it was true and the message spread quite quickly for a few hours. i haven't seen anyone mention this instance but I assume it wasn't the only place that was tried

I will give Twitter one bit of credit - if you posted anything about the wrong date for Election Day like "don't forget to vote on November 7!" you got autobanned. Apparently they were very smart about it too and it was catching a bunch of chuds who were trying to be shits.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Luckyellow posted:

it's certainly possible. the main argument against is that he's old.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

evilweasel posted:

The 2020 primary is going to be so crowded I think that the results may wind up effectively being biased towards whoever is the most unique candidate (because the more people like you, the more your votes are split), not the best. At a minimum there’s going to be more viable candidates after NH than the typical two.
I don't think you'll see the same number of sugar daddy candidates in the race past super Tuesday like you saw in the Republican 2016 primary - the Democratic party doesn't seem to encourage that sort of vanity run and I think the candidate will wither if they're perceived as inauthentic.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Bernie is old as gently caress and I don't like it but he's still the best thing available.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Axetrain posted:

I struggle to think of a worse choice for candidate in 2020 than Hillary Clinton. Dems could probably run Jeb! and be better off.

E: gonna remove the timg to preserve the sheer horror.

Joe Manchin?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

You are willfully ignoring that Obama ended the practice of leaving unaccompanied minors in immigrant detention to prove a point that you don’t need this example to make.

Its lazy and stupid and lets Trump off the hook for zero tolerance family separations and you suck poo poo for it.

so it's fine if they're accompanied?

nobody's letting trump off the hook for anything, but we are also yelling at the people who stand aside and let him do whatever he wants

(also obama really loved imprisoning immigrants)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Right now I see Beto as the type of candidate we need. He's the most Obama-like, but the only thing is at least Obama was in the Senate. Beto doesn't have that going for him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Your Taint posted:

Right now I see Beto as the type of candidate we need. He's the most Obama-like, but the only thing is at least Obama was in the Senate. Beto doesn't have that going for him.

I think Beto is going to be a heavily sought after VP candidate

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/DrRJKavanagh/status/1061484728652570624
https://twitter.com/DrRJKavanagh/status/1061488341231788032
https://twitter.com/DrRJKavanagh/status/1061490342317441024

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, I don't get it either. I thought even the centrists wanted her to go away forever at this point?

Even those of us who were pretty big on HRC, and think she entirely deserved to win and that her platform is way better than she was given credit for, think that she needs to stay right out of Presidential politics entirely at this point. She tried, she lost, and it may or may not be fair to her but she needs to stay away so a better candidate can come forward. Rerunning 2016 will have the same outcome, Trump will deploy the same rhetoric and it will motivate just as many people, and whilst I suspect plenty of people will hold their nose for Clinton that didn't last time around, I also don't for a second expect anyone who wasn't convinced by her before to suddenly become proselytes that believe everything she has to say. It will absolutely cement the belief that the Dems just want to anoint their preferred candidate and demanding people vote for them.

I like Clinton a lot. I wish she'd won, not just because of Trump but on her own merits. I think she'd have made an extraordinarily good and competent President. And I think she needs to never even hint she'd be interested in running again.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean it's a fair response, and it's also not about the primary.

Also while Hillary barely lost, she barely lost to Donald Trump. I also don't think the meme about her "not visiting the Midwest" really mattered, she campaigned in PA a lot and still lost there.

I'm sure there's a constituency for Hillary 2020, but I don't think she beats people like Booker, Harris, and Gillibrand.

one of these is not like the others, one of these is not the same :argh:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

The Glumslinger posted:

Which would be fine, but most people don't give a poo poo about the running mate.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Luckyellow posted:

Gall stones, kidney stones, arthritis.... could be anything. Campaigning is a fuckload of work and he ain't exactly a spring chicken. I'm 32 and (besides being ineligible) there's no way in hell I'd do it - I'm too lazy.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Your Taint posted:

He probably will, but he's also 6 million years old. Dems need to go young, like Obama was.

there's a simple solution to this problem that still allows us to run our most popular politician: bernie + someone young and leftist for veep

may i suggest sanders/turner 2020, followed by turner/ocasio-cortez 2024?

eke out posted:

this is a good point: when will Hillary apologize for her campaign staffers in 2008? we should address this first before relitigating 2016

i'm not sure why you're eager to relitigate 2016. in any case, her poor staffing choices are a reason she shouldn't be considered feasible in 2020

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, Gillibrand is white.

Edit: yeah, Harris is pro-cop.

Yeah, Booker is bald.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I still wanna see Duckworth smack Trump in the face with her leg on national TV.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, I don't get it either. I thought even the centrists wanted her to go away forever at this point?

It makes sense from their perspective. She pretty much basically won last time around. Highest name recognition. Plus 4 years of the Trump poo poo show. She tweaks her message a little more left, absorbs the disaffected left voters who won't want to risk another 4 years of Trump. She will have a ton of money. I'm sure they think if she gets off to a strong start it will avoid a 100 person democratic centrist poo poo show primary.

At worst they save the Bookers for another day instead of having everyone flame out and take damage in a gigantic primary. It's her last shot so go with that and at worse the dems lose and keep their powder dry with all the other centrists, or at best she wins.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 12, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I like that the second 2016 chat got banned everyone figured out the loophole of "claim that the 2020 race will be bernie vs hillary" to continue the conversation

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Party Plane Jones posted:

The discovery of nitrogen fixing processes is the most significant event of the 20th century.

this is the first time someone's made a claim to the Most Significant Event of that century and I was willing to believe it was a well founded statement.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Condiv posted:

i'm not sure why you're eager to relitigate 2016.

are you really this humorless or are you just not reading the thread at all

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Gillibrand's opposition to BDS puts her into a similar league as the other two. I'm glad she no longer supports the bill that outright criminalized it, but still, she's not as good of a candidate as I think you want her to be.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

She may have said she's not running, but that doesn't mean she's not running. :colbert:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Axetrain posted:

Bernie is old as gently caress and I don't like it but he's still the best thing available.

Also his answer on guns is bad. And thinks that identity politics is bad unless you are white and working class.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

The Glumslinger posted:

Is there even a path for the Republicans to win in 2020 without Texas?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Luckyellow posted:

Is there even a path for the Republicans to win in 2020 without Texas?

No, but I don't think Dems will flip Texas even if Beto was running for President. However, he still has a great natural charisma and has turned himself into a nationally known democratic politician.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Voters don't give a poo poo about age. Hillary and Trump are both olds. Stop bringing that up ugh.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

The Glumslinger posted:

No, but I don't think Dems will flip Texas even if Beto was running for President. However, he still has a great natural charisma and has turned himself into a nationally known democratic politician.

i really don't get this. there are other "nationally known" democratic politicians who've actually held office. dunno why we should immediate jump him to veep

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Condiv posted:

i really don't get this. there are other "nationally known" democratic politicians who've actually held office. dunno why we should immediate jump him to veep

He was in the House before he ran for Senate

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Elephant Ambush posted:

Voters don't give a poo poo about age. Hillary and Trump are both olds. Stop bringing that up ugh.

You mean my corporate buzzwords about youth, energy and dynamism don't translate into the electoral landscape?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

The Glumslinger posted:

He was in the House before he ran for Senate

you are right. i still like nina turner for veep better than him though. i haven't really found him that inspiring

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Your Taint posted:

He probably will, but he's also 6 million years old. Dems need to go young, like Obama was.

There isn't anyone young and charismatic like Obama who also doesn't have lovely stances, and can hope to turn out the Democratic base and Dem-leaning independents, and will be eligible to run by 2020. There almost certainly will not be anyone like that to emerge between now and 2020.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The oldness argument is dumb since currently the guy leading the polls is only 2 years younger than him

(Sanders does need a young VP but we aren't there yet)

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

i don't want the presidential debates to have to have bathroom breaks every half hour :colbert:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

this is obviously not true, why would you think voters don't care about age if aged-related illnesses might legitimately remove their preferred candidate from office

voters might not really care when both candidates are roughly equally old and it's no longer a meaningful distinction but that's a different thing

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

eke out posted:

this is obviously not true, why would you think voters don't care about age if aged-related illnesses might legitimately remove their preferred candidate from office

Because the current president is a syphilitic senior citizen with clear dementia.

quote:

voters might not really care when both candidates are roughly equally old and it's no longer a meaningful distinction but that's a different thing

Given that Trump will almost certainly be the Republican nominee in 2020, that kind of renders the age argument irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

eke out posted:

"Think of how stupid the average person is. Then realize half of them are dumber than that."