Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm very disappointed and it kind of turns me off on Porsche as a brand.

Your dealer sucks. Escalate this to PCNA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh this is good:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r/1096502-gt-car-salesman-shiraaz-sookralli.html

tldr: Salesman at one of top dealers in the country sets up shell company to take deposits for GT cars, steals 2.5M, dealership may have had knowledge of him doing this in the past.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus Christ what a dumpster fire
Stealership indeed

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I didn't get to the end but that's one hell of a scam from the salesman.

If I followed correctly he set up a fake account with a similar name, took deposits for GT cars for a few years using his position at a dealership only was cashing the cheques to his fake account and when the time came to deliver disappeared?

The dealership wouldn't of had a clue but presumeably are going to have to pay out if he's used their stationary and email?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Not a bad deal if it's not rusty: https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/d/2003-porsche-911-carrera-c4s/6697502001.html
Yet another just roll the dice on the IMS specimen.

I've heard a couple of detractors say the steering feel is really degraded by the AWD.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Check out this new video from Ammo NYC. - apparently these new GT3's had paint defects from the factory as well!
https://youtu.be/BXQ0SmNFyBA

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXQ0SmNFyBA#t=6m31s
yes, so much more important :rolleyes:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Yeah that was pretty lame, pretty sure my dream car now is a fully debadged gt3 touring with cloth, but a really nice exhaust.
Porsche really made a pro move with the touring, basically a 911 R for 1/4 f the price.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Voltage posted:

Check out this new video from Ammo NYC. - apparently these new GT3's had paint defects from the factory as well!
https://youtu.be/BXQ0SmNFyBA

That does resemble Jealous Cows issue too, doesn't it?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Voltage posted:

Yeah that was pretty lame, pretty sure my dream car now is a fully debadged gt3 touring with cloth, but a really nice exhaust.
Porsche really made a pro move with the touring, basically a 911 R for 1/4 f the price.

It made it incredibly satisfying to see all the 911R speculators collectively poo poo a brick when their values didn't reach what people had gambled they would when the new gt3 was specable as a R

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Should I sell my 2015 Cayman S? I love it but rarely drive it apart from the weekend/autocross. Guy is offering 52k. I bought it for 55k 2 years ago. I'd probably replace it with something boring like another GTI when I start commuting again, and then maybe get either an air cooled 911 or a Spyder at some point.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Residency Evil posted:

Should I sell my 2015 Cayman S? I love it but rarely drive it apart from the weekend/autocross. Guy is offering 52k. I bought it for 55k 2 years ago. I'd probably replace it with something boring like another GTI when I start commuting again, and then maybe get either an air cooled 911 or a Spyder at some point.

Yes

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Not an emptyquote.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yes
and replace it with a 996TT

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Negotiating with the guy right now. Out of curiosity, why is everyone telling me to sell? Just to try something different?

:ohdear:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Residency Evil posted:

why is everyone telling me to sell? Just to try something different?

Simply the economics. Selling for $3k less than you bought it for, in the prime of the depreciation curve is an excellent out. Plus, it frees up $50k, which can buy one hell of a replacement... or two.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Yes
and replace it with a 996TT

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Residency Evil posted:

Negotiating with the guy right now. Out of curiosity, why is everyone telling me to sell? Just to try something different?

Caymans seems to depreciate like rocks and when we hit an economic downturn the number of buyers will drastically decrease. Plus isn't the warranty about to end? If I know anything about limited production cars it is that they like to poo poo the bed about year 4.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Elephanthead posted:

Caymans seems to depreciate like rocks and when we hit an economic downturn the number of buyers will drastically decrease. Plus isn't the warranty about to end? If I know anything about limited production cars it is that they like to poo poo the bed about year 4.

Yup, warranty just ended.

Washed/cleaned it for potentially the last time today. Definitely having second thoughts, since I'm not sure anything else is as good of an all around car. I have always wanted a Boxster Spyder, so at least this'll clear up some space for that to happen.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoy driving my 718 so much that I kind of want to trade it in for a Carrera 4 and drive it year round. Our roads are too bad and we get too much snow here to just put snow tires on the 718, I think.

It’s a base Cayman with prem and the usual “dealer lot” options. Sticker was about 64k, has 1200 miles, 2018 produced in January I think.

What would it be worth at this point? I don’t trust KBB for such a low production car with so few used comps.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Warranty just ended on my 997.2. Thought about either getting a 991.2 or just going back to normal cars, thereby freeing up a ton of money, but so far I seem to be planning on just hanging onto it. It's been a really good car and given me no trouble.

Caymans are pretty nice. I love the agility. Not that 911s are that tail-happy these days, but Caymans (and Boxsters) are just so incredibly balanced. I'd think about getting one, but I routinely carry guitars and amps around, and Caymans are just too small for that.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Gorgar posted:

Warranty just ended on my 997.2. Thought about either getting a 991.2 or just going back to normal cars, thereby freeing up a ton of money, but so far I seem to be planning on just hanging onto it. It's been a really good car and given me no trouble.

Caymans are pretty nice. I love the agility. Not that 911s are that tail-happy these days, but Caymans (and Boxsters) are just so incredibly balanced. I'd think about getting one, but I routinely carry guitars and amps around, and Caymans are just too small for that.

I really like the 997.2s because they're still small and not as completely refined like 991s but have updated engines. As an everyday car then I'd probably feel different though.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

A manual 997.2 seems to me like the water cooled 911 to hang on to.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Jymmybob posted:

I really like the 997.2s because they're still small and not as completely refined like 991s but have updated engines. As an everyday car then I'd probably feel different though.

That was how I felt. 991.1 was too big and felt like driving a 70s Pontiac in comparison. Electric steering didn't have much road feel. I think they did a lot of improvement on the 991.2 though, and I'm not a purist, so the turbo doesn't bother me. More torque? Sign me up for that. They do feel more like a space ship than a sports car though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
PPI just finished on my Cayman and it passed with flying colors. Just to make sure I'm not crazy, I bought the car in 2016 for 58k (including a an almost new set of OZ winter wheels and tires). I'm selling it now for 52k including the wheels. The car is a 2015 Cayman S in white, 6-speed, and has sports seats, PSE, PASM, and SC. The warranty just ran out. It's in great condition apart from the usual front end road scrapes. I'm not selling myself super short, right? This all went through Rennlist back channels and I never listed the car.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

No that sounds like a really good sale on your part. So when are you picking up your new 996 turbo?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

PPI just finished on my Cayman and it passed with flying colors. Just to make sure I'm not crazy, I bought the car in 2016 for 58k (including a an almost new set of OZ winter wheels and tires). I'm selling it now for 52k including the wheels. The car is a 2015 Cayman S in white, 6-speed, and has sports seats, PSE, PASM, and SC. The warranty just ran out. It's in great condition apart from the usual front end road scrapes. I'm not selling myself super short, right? This all went through Rennlist back channels and I never listed the car.

I don't follow Porsche prices but a $6k discount on a $58k car you bought two years ago sounds like an incredible deal for you, it basically means you paid $250/mo for a nice Porsche (ignoring oil changes, tires, etc).

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I get bored with a car after 6 months, 250 a month is a pretty cheap cost of ownership. Unless you are never going to sell the car, selling it now is when to do it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, that's pretty reasonable considering that thing should be further down the resale curve.

Decided what you are replacing it with?

Also, what do you guys know about Porsche PST-2 tools and more affordable variants?

I was toying with the idea of buying a real one (the idea of being able to get into the security system and even program keys is pretty appealing) but is there aftermarket versions available that can get into that poo poo now?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I'm about couple months away from pulling the trigger on a Durametric. It seems to be the best in regards to cost/capabilities.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bajaha posted:

No that sounds like a really good sale on your part. So when are you picking up your new 996 turbo?

MomJeans420 posted:

I don't follow Porsche prices but a $6k discount on a $58k car you bought two years ago sounds like an incredible deal for you, it basically means you paid $250/mo for a nice Porsche (ignoring oil changes, tires, etc).

Elephanthead posted:

I get bored with a car after 6 months, 250 a month is a pretty cheap cost of ownership. Unless you are never going to sell the car, selling it now is when to do it.

slidebite posted:

Yeah, that's pretty reasonable considering that thing should be further down the resale curve.

Decided what you are replacing it with?

Also, what do you guys know about Porsche PST-2 tools and more affordable variants?

I was toying with the idea of buying a real one (the idea of being able to get into the security system and even program keys is pretty appealing) but is there aftermarket versions available that can get into that poo poo now?

Thanks guys. Sounds like we may be working this out this weekend.

As far as what's next, I think I may get a boring daily driver and something fun. For the daily driver, I might just get a GTI/R, but I've had one before and may get something else (taking suggestions). For the fun car, I've been stalking 987 Boxster Spyders for a while, but it's tough finding one with a stick/buckets. There's another part of me that wants to look at 80s 911s, but I have no idea where to start.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I said it before dude, 996TT if you are that undecided.

I mean, I'd love an 80s or 90s aircooled, but imho they are genuinely overpriced for what they are and are probably in bubble territory.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

slidebite posted:

I said it before dude, 996TT if you are that undecided.

I mean, I'd love an 80s or 90s aircooled, but imho they are genuinely overpriced for what they are and are probably in bubble territory.

Maybe, but I'm not sure I can do the 996 interior. It's just in an awkward in-between. I think the 80s/90s 911 bubble has definitely cooled off a bit from where it was a few years back.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well (I'm talking out of my rear end) don't you have to pin or weld the coolant fittings?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-porsche-911-turbo-awd/6749354269.html

Just going to post this here I don't know if the car is legit or not but don't make me buy it.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Maybe, but I'm not sure I can do the 996 interior. It's just in an awkward in-between. I think the 80s/90s 911 bubble has definitely cooled off a bit from where it was a few years back.

I thought the same but the turbo interior has full leather and makes it seem a lot nicer that they look in pictures. I'm pretty picky about interiors too.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well (I'm talking out of my rear end) don't you have to pin or weld the coolant fittings?

Only if tracking really. You have to get the entire engine bat hot enough to melt the adhesive holding the pipes on.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Elephanthead posted:

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-porsche-911-turbo-awd/6749354269.html

Just going to post this here I don't know if the car is legit or not but don't make me buy it.

Off topic kind of but do people still buy things from craigslist ?

I thought it was used strictly for drug deals and getting your stuff stolen by force now

I mainly use kijiji and autotrader when looking for my new car. But maybe i should check out craigslist too ?

As long as I don't get beaten with a lug wrench, that wouldnt be good

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Elephanthead posted:

Fake news.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

100% fake. Cars like that have been going for 55k+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jymmybob posted:

100% fake. Cars like that have been going for 55k+

Prices have definitely gone up since I was looking at 996TT's. You could get a lower mileage one like that for around $45k.