Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Ultraviolet is great but the absolute highlight of Jack Davenport's career is the way he says "Nothing I'd lament being rid of" in Pirates of the Caribbean. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Pilchenstein posted:

Ultraviolet is great but the absolute highlight of Jack Davenport's career is the way he says "Nothing I'd lament being rid of" in Pirates of the Caribbean. :v:

I would argue that the scene where he flounders through describing the plot of Lesbian Spanking Inferno #5 to his girlfriend at a dinner party in the first series of Coupling is better.

He is a hugely under-appreciated comic actor.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is hating every character in Rent irrational? I feel like it probably isn't but I came home to find my other half watching it and Jesus Christ everyone is just awful.

It isn't often I find myself rooting for the capitalist oppressors but this movie makes it happen

Oh god we aren't even through Act 1

Len has a new favorite as of 02:41 on Nov 12, 2018

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Len posted:

Is hating every character in Rent irrational? I feel like it probably isn't but I came home to find my other half watching it and Jesus Christ everyone is just awful.

It isn't often I find myself rooting for the capitalist oppressors but this movie makes it happen.

That’s a common sentiment with Rent.

A sentirent

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Rentiment you old fool

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rentirent

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Like I get that Benny told them they would live rent free. But at no point did these people get loving jobs and at least try. They just live in squalor being getting a job means you can't be an artist.

If any group of people needed jackbooted thugs sent after them it's these guys.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think these two do a good job of explaining why RENT is a bad movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XrQzhc186Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0qfFbtIj5w

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The filmmaker dude with the glasses is also just the worst. A poverty tourist who thinks he is some visionary genius for his horrible disjointed home movies.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Like I get that Benny told them they would live rent free. But at no point did these people get loving jobs and at least try. They just live in squalor being getting a job means you can't be an artist.

I never saw Rent but honestly it just seems like the 90s. At some point in the 2000s watching Mission Hill I realized that fml I'm Kevin French. Sitting there mourning my lost tooth with a 40oz "slacking" while the rest of my friends were actually acting like normal adults. I would probably enjoy this musical but I usually dislike characters like this that hit close to home :thunk:

irritating media moment, when it's too on the nose (see also: Landslide)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rent has 3 or 4 good songs but the overall message is terrible and I hate all the characters. The only reason people have a hagiographic image of the creator is that he died.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

syscall girl posted:

I never saw Rent but honestly it just seems like the 90s. At some point in the 2000s watching Mission Hill I realized that fml I'm Kevin French. Sitting there mourning my lost tooth with a 40oz "slacking" while the rest of my friends were actually acting like normal adults. I would probably enjoy this musical but I usually dislike characters like this that hit close to home :thunk:

irritating media moment, when it's too on the nose (see also: Landslide)

I actually was just telling my fiancee that Mission Hill covers the character arc of everyone in this drat thing in one episode.

Andy is a slacker gen x and realizes that getting a job isn't selling out and that he can grow up. So he gets a job. Had the show not ended he was even going to stick with it and become very successful.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I always thought Rent was about some heroic guy called Benny who holds out for his friends, despite them being a bunch of useless freeloaders.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Len posted:

there was probably a better thing to say than this about a play about queer people living with aids

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I think most Broadway musicals are stupid. I am uncultured swine.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Gaunab posted:

I think most Broadway musicals are stupid. I am uncultured swine.

The Book of Mormon is exceptionally stupid in all the right ways.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

flatluigi posted:

there was probably a better thing to say than this about a play about queer people living with aids

Yeah that was definitely poor wording on my part.

What's a better way to put "capitalism needs to bust the artist commune before it pulls a Ghost Ship"? Because that is the proper word choice

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Beachcomber posted:

The Book of Mormon is exceptionally stupid in all the right ways.

All musicals are stupid. The question is whether they are fun.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Blues Brothers

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Exactly.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It is. I laughed incredibly hard. Wish it was on DVD so I could watch it again, because I've already seen it live twice.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The people in Rent should have given their apartments to the homeless.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In the new Predator movie Alfor Allen is clearly from Ireland, how was he able to join the United States military?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Do you think immigration or foreign nationals don't exist? Service equals citizenship isn't just a meme from Starship Troopers.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anyone with a green card can apply for the us army. You can't be an officer though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yep. Spamalot was hilarious and dumber than a box of hammers.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In the new Predator movie Alfor Allen is clearly from Ireland, how was he able to join the United States military?

You can also renounce your previous citizenship & become a naturalized US citizen. My friend was born in Russia & went this route before enlisting in the US Air Force. When he's done training/school he'll be an enlisted officer doing loadmaster stuff on those big airplanes.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I always thought Rent was about some heroic guy called Benny who holds out for his friends, despite them being a bunch of useless freeloaders.

Also puts up the cash to bury Angel, despite Angel being an rear end in a top hat who killed his dog.

Benny Coffin 4 President.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The film version of Rent also made the idiotic decision to directly state that the events take place in 1989/1990, which is completely unnecessary and just creates all sorts of anachronisms. And to make it even more confusing, they added a scene not originally in the play in which a mixed race lesbian couple have a wedding ceremony. Even in NYC this was not happening thirty years ago.

EDIT: I forgot the dude from Law & Order announcing at the end of the movie that he hacked into an ATM and made it so it spits out endless cash as long as you use the PIN "A-N-G-E-L"

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Len posted:

I actually was just telling my fiancee that Mission Hill covers the character arc of everyone in this drat thing in one episode.

Andy is a slacker gen x and realizes that getting a job isn't selling out and that he can grow up. So he gets a job. Had the show not ended he was even going to stick with it and become very successful.

What the gently caress happened with that show? I remember finding it on adult swim or some poo poo well after it was cancelled. I remember thinking man this is a solid rear end cartoon and looked it up to see it had been cancelled for a couple years already and was disappointed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think it largely didn't find its audience until it was already over. Some shows have that kind of luck.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Disgusting Coward posted:

Also puts up the cash to bury Angel, despite Angel being an rear end in a top hat who killed his dog.

Benny Coffin 4 President.

Angel killing that dog is treated as heroic, too. What the Christ.

I looooved that musical in high school. I’m rationally irritated at my sixteen year old self.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

This whole Pokemon trailer. I kind of have to see it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1roy4o4tqQM

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mu Zeta posted:

This whole Pokemon trailer. I kind of have to see it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1roy4o4tqQM

I still wish they used Danny DeVito as the voice. :colbert:

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I just realized something. In the beginning of Hackers when Crash Override hacks into a tv station, he changes what's on-air from the Rush Limbaugh-esque dude going on about how much he hates minorities to an episode of The Outer Limits. Then Acid Burn hacks into his computer and gets mad and they start a hacker fight.

...was Angelina Jolie's character watching the xenophobic racist tv show?

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I loved RENT and even saw it with original Mark/Roger when the touring company came to Austin like a decade ago, but it has absolutely not aged well if it was ever objectively good in the first place (it was really not) - it appealed heavily to Broadway junkies and wannabe hippies in the 90s and the movie had 95% of the original cast, so it was an automatic hit. It just took a while for people to catch on that no, it's no La Boheme with the serial numbers filed off, it's La Boheme if every character was cripplingly stupid and unlikeable

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

One Song Glory is glorious

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
"La Vie Bohème" is a loving abomination.

Also, are we really supposed to side with the hipster douchebag artists when crowds of them apparently regularly show up to that restaurant, never pay for anything they order, and stage choreographed musical numbers in the middle of dinner?

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Hey there square, sorry you can't keep up with their freak lifestyle. I bet you don't even ride a bike, listen to the Sex Pistols or eat huevos rancheros you fuckin' suit.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am gonna write ONE GREAT SOOOOOONG MIIIIMIIIIII *farts out weaksauce dad rock riff*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Disgusting Coward posted:

Hey there square, sorry you can't keep up with their freak lifestyle. I bet you don't even ride a bike, listen to the Sex Pistols or eat huevos rancheros you fuckin' suit.