Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

CowboyKid posted:

H. Jon Benjamin should have a voice in every production from here to eterrnity.

Wait, this is unpopular? I’ve been thinking that for a long, long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Disney World rules and I'd rather vacation there than in most places.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Disney World rules and I'd rather vacation there than in most places.

It's poo poo. It's terrible. Epcot is the only decent one, but you have to be among the worst of humanity at all times no matter which park you pick. Thousands of people that think pushing a stroller means you have the right of way to plow through people, people willing to get in to fights to try and get a better spot in line, etc. Universal isn't much better especially after they added the harry potter poo poo.

I guess it's just not for me because my perfect vacation that I happened to take last year was going to the middle of nowhere in norway and just climbing a hill and poo poo by myself. Crowds are just annoying.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's poo poo. It's terrible. Epcot is the only decent one, but you have to be among the worst of humanity at all times no matter which park you pick. Thousands of people that think pushing a stroller means you have the right of way to plow through people, people willing to get in to fights to try and get a better spot in line, etc. Universal isn't much better especially after they added the harry potter poo poo.

I guess it's just not for me because my perfect vacation that I happened to take last year was going to the middle of nowhere in norway and just climbing a hill and poo poo by myself. Crowds are just annoying.

Universal blows chunks, the rides suck and there is no atmosphere.

No argument that crowds are bad. If I was fantabulously wealthy I'd just buy out the tickets for a week and get my park on without dealing with any strangers.

E: Universal's Mummy coaster is ok but it is NOT worth what Universal charges

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 03:06 on Nov 10, 2018

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Theme parks in general have really gone to poo poo. Most if not all of the newer rides are dull and uninspiring while the parks themselves have become shells of what they once were.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

this is surely not unpopular but i feel compelled to say it: I simultaneously have a deep level of sympathy and a super deep loathing of the employees tasked with trying to take/sell photographs at theme parks. Everyone has phones now that are probably just as good as your camera, why should I pay I don't even know how much for a physical photo in 2018?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I've never been to a theme park. One time I went to Valley Fair near Minneapolis when I was little but I don't remember much about it other than liking it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The best theme park is still Six Flags, it also gave me the remarkable ability to claim that I've rode the Texas Giant before and after it killed someone.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I remember riding a roller coaster in busch gardens williamsburg like 10 times in a row that they later dismantled for safety reasons or something idk

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There's only one test for dog intelligence that matters. If you put some scraps on a paper plate on the floor for them, and while they're eating the plate starts sliding around, what do they do? If they try to follow the plate around, they're just a dog. If they put a paw on the plate so it stops sliding, they're a smart dog.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I have a sometimes smart dog. If it is a plate he will just follow it around but if the treat has any sort of three-dimensionality to it he will hold it tight between his front paws.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MizPiz posted:

Theme parks in general have really gone to poo poo. Most if not all of the newer rides are dull and uninspiring while the parks themselves have become shells of what they once were.

We have a theme park in my city that has been open for a hundred years and hasn't been updated since the 50's. Despite being much less extreme than modern rides, the rides there are much scarier and it rules. I'm amazed more people haven't died there (some have)

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

yeah I eat rear end posted:

this is surely not unpopular but i feel compelled to say it: I simultaneously have a deep level of sympathy and a super deep loathing of the employees tasked with trying to take/sell photographs at theme parks. Everyone has phones now that are probably just as good as your camera, why should I pay I don't even know how much for a physical photo in 2018?

They probably cost very little to maintain and there's no printing costs until someone buys one. I'm sure there's enough phoneless grandmas that are willing to pony up, and they're watermarked so even if someone shares it from their phone it's free advertising. Plus it's like $20 per print, maybe if I was in vacation-splurge mode I'd be willing to just buy it.
I didn't know I had all these strong feelings about the matter until the Alcatraz photo guy yelled at me for trying to take a pic last month :(

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I'd view such photographs as I view a beer you buy at a pub instead of a store. You are paying for the atmosphere, not the actual product.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'll probably never watch a Roman Polanski or Woody Allen movie. People say they're good, but there's so many good movies I haven't seen yet, I can watch good movies for the rest of my life and never run out and have no option but to watch a movie by either of those dudes.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Gripweed posted:

I'll probably never watch a Roman Polanski or Woody Allen movie. People say they're good, but there's so many good movies I haven't seen yet, I can watch good movies for the rest of my life and never run out and have no option but to watch a movie by either of those dudes.

If you actually care about not watching a movie helmed by a problematic person, you're going to have a lot fewer options than you think, especially if you're looking at movies made by Hollywood.

That said, you shouldn't watch Woody Allen because he's a hack who's contribution to cinema begins and ends with this dialogue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCrABvZy8uc

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MizPiz posted:

If you actually care about not watching a movie helmed by a problematic person, you're going to have a lot fewer options than you think, especially if you're looking at movies made by Hollywood.

"Problematic person" is a hell of a euphemism for child rapist

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Hollywood elite is pretty much synonymous with the latter in probably a lot more cases than you'd be comfortable knowing. Any parent who lets their child get into acting without serious protections in place should be jailed. They know what they are pimping their child into and what he/she will have to do to get ahead.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Gripweed posted:

Fine, if you actually care about not watching a movie helmed by a child rapist you're going to have a lot fewer options than you think, especially if you're looking at movies made by Hollywood.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MizPiz posted:

Fine, if you actually care about not watching a movie helmed by a child rapist you're going to have a lot fewer options than you think, especially if you're looking at movies made by Hollywood.

Yeah probably, I was just looking at Criterion Collection movies at Barnes and Noble earlier today because they're doing a half off sale, and they had a bunch of Roman Polanski movies. The dude is still alive, and is an admitted child rapist, and fancy movie people are still treating him like a great artist. Maybe he is, but he's also a loving criminal scumbag, and that should override artistic considerations. At least until he dies and can't profit anymore off his public persona as a fancy movie man.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
We're weeding out all the old and replacing with the new. Plenty of new filmmakers coming that are p great !

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

We're weeding out all the old and replacing with the new. Plenty of new filmmakers coming that are p great !

p great at hiding their tendencies better than their predecessors, maybe

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I don't know if I'm going to rewatch anything from before Mad Max Fury Road.

Starship Troopers, maybe. Not loving Chinatown again, that's for sure.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Caufman posted:

I don't know if I'm going to rewatch anything from before Mad Max Fury Road.

Starship Troopers, maybe. Not loving Chinatown again, that's for sure.

Predator

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Barfly, The Big Lebowski. Dunno if I'm gonna watch them again, again, but they're fun movies to see a few times.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

IDK what the last three posts are talking about but Chinatown is good as hell

I'll draw the line at El Topo, though

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I found I liked less and less about the Big Lebowski each time I rewatched it, so I stopped rewatching it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Complete list of movies that can be watched an infinite number of times and still be good:

Dumb and Dumber

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Uh, no. I saw that a lot as a kid and tried watching it again some years back, and it was just dumb and boring.

I recently started watching TNG from the beginning, and realized I never saw these episodes. I before had started from S3 because that's where it "got good". It's like a gift. With my level of nostalgia and willingness to enjoy it on the level of "let's see what scifi spec script they gave a Trek framing this week", and how Patrick Stewart acts it, how many lecherous grins will Riker have, etc., I enjoy it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

doverhog posted:

Uh, no. I saw that a lot as a kid and tried watching it again some years back, and it was just dumb and boring.

mods???

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

yeah that's why they don't want to watch hollywood movies

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really don't give a gently caress if I consume media made by a lovely person. I'd probably take a John Wayne Gacy painting if someone gave it to me, because it's weirdly interesting. Doesn't mean I like what the guy did. I wish people would shut the gently caress up about what movies they can't watch anymore, it's like the new annoying humblebrag of the moment. Just don't watch it or watch it for free or whatever. No one needs to hear about what you aren't watching.

Woody Allen sucks rear end though which is a good reason not to watch his movies.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

hawowanlawow posted:

Complete list of movies that can be watched an infinite number of times and still be good:

Dumb and Dumber
:hfive:

doverhog posted:

I recently started watching TNG from the beginning, and realized I never saw these episodes. I before had started from S3 because that's where it "got good". It's like a gift. With my level of nostalgia and willingness to enjoy it on the level of "let's see what scifi spec script they gave a Trek framing this week", and how Patrick Stewart acts it, how many lecherous grins will Riker have, etc., I enjoy it.
:wrong:

You're going to put down Dumb and Dumber and then go on a Trek rant? :argh:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

What was this thread again. :smug:

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
You are correct. I just had a very visceral response to that, which will likely lead to some odd introspection later. Please carry on.

unpopular opinion: I think the new Trek movies are superior to all other iterations. (so see, my Trek opinions don't really matter in the first place.)

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Gripweed posted:

Same but Stanley Kubrick

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm never watching a Shane Carruth or Miranda July movie.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

hawowanlawow posted:

Dumb and Dumber

I've watched Pulp Fiction an obscene amount of times and still love it.

The Thing as well, but I like to take biiig breaks between viewings because it makes it a lot more fun when you let the details get fuzzy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CrRoMa posted:

Same but Stanley Kubrick

What did Stanley Kubrick do?

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm never watching a Shane Carruth or Miranda July movie.

What did Shane Carruth do? Primer and Upstream Color are both amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Gripweed posted:

What did Stanley Kubrick do?

The Shining was good, at least it was for a 12 year old crroma watching it with my dad some 20 years ago. I've not seen any of his other films in full but anything else I've watched by him just wasn't fun or interesting to watch.