Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

64bit_Dophins posted:

The internal combustion engine was actually a gift from Satan

And Satan Himself designed the Audi I5 as you can hear the wails of the damned from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And Satan Himself designed the Audi I5 as you can hear the wails of the damned from it

And on the 8th day Beelzebub himself created VTEC, and it was good.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And Satan Himself designed the Audi I5 V8 as you can hear the wails of the damned from it those who have to work on the timing gear.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm having an idea that I think is a bad one, but I'm not sure. When my fiance left, it was so sudden and we didn't even talk about what was happening for 5 minutes. No joke, the music I was listening in my headphones (yes I took them out) before she gave my ring back and subsequently left had only gone forward by one song

I want to kind of confront her, get a chance to get some closure over this thing. I feel I deserve that much, at least

I feel like it's a bad idea because I don't want us to get back together and this might be a result of our actually sitting and talking, but I need to get some of this poo poo out of my head. It's keeping me up at night

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

The Door Frame posted:

I'm having an idea that I think is a bad one, but I'm not sure. When my fiance left, it was so sudden and we didn't even talk about what was happening for 5 minutes. No joke, the music I was listening in my headphones (yes I took them out) before she gave my ring back and subsequently left had only gone forward by one song

I want to kind of confront her, get a chance to get some closure over this thing. I feel I deserve that much, at least

I feel like it's a bad idea because I don't want us to get back together and this might be a result of our actually sitting and talking, but I need to get some of this poo poo out of my head. It's keeping me up at night
You are right: it probably is a bad idea. Closure will occur, but it may take time. Certainly no conversation stemming from a confrontation will provide you with the answers you need. You might be able to have a productive, mutual conversation in a neutral location, but probably not when feelings are raw.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Rhyno posted:

He didn't do anything dramatic, there's no drugs, violence or jail time. He just made a promise that was somewhat important and broke it.

People are generally unreliable.
This is a newsflash special update.

You got married and are buying a house. Give a gently caress about them, give no fucks about people that are unreliable or untrustworthy. Move on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fo3 posted:

People are generally unreliable.
This is a newsflash special update.

You got married and are buying a house. Give a gently caress about them, give no fucks about people that are unreliable or untrustworthy. Move on.

Yeah, life goes on. Still sucks. I'd done a fairly good job weeding out the rotten people in my life, I didn't expect one of my inner circle to do lovely stuff.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, life goes on. Still sucks. I'd done a fairly good job weeding out the rotten people in my life, I didn't expect one of my inner circle to do lovely stuff.

Disillusionment is a particular kick in the guts when you already felt like you were overly cynic.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

The most powerful thing you can do Ian move on and let them think you dont give a poo poo.
A girl broke up with me in October and she is great and I have nothing bad to say but man I wish I had not sent a single text after even though it was nothing bad.

Just move on and take power and comfort in it nothing good will come from contacting her. I’m old and I know please don’t if you can but if you do I understand.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

The Door Frame posted:

No. Don't.

It's been two years and I'm just starting to heal closed. The brain is dumb and takes time but it's worth it over the potential lifelong mistake. Humans are set apart by complex learning. You've just been given the answer. Don't throw that value away.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

My inner circle consists of about 8 people, including my wife, kids and parents. Anything outside of that? Suspect.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

My inner circle consists of about 8 people, including my wife, kids and parents. Anything outside of that? Suspect.

My groomsmen plus 3 more and my sister. I have other friends but I don't feel bad about not seeing them regularly.

So. house stuff. The service tech at one of the properties my wife worked at is having a rough time financially. He mentioned he was looking for side jobs and he's a licenced contractor so we're having him do the wall repair and he's gonna toss a quote at us to paint the whole house. He's also going to demo the french doors and wall up the hole. As we have access they've also given us the go ahead to start cleaning so I'm going over tomorrow to clear the junk out of the attic and garage.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

So. house stuff. The service tech at one of the properties my wife worked at is having a rough time financially. He mentioned he was looking for side jobs and he's a licenced contractor so we're having him do the wall repair and he's gonna toss a quote at us to paint the whole house. He's also going to demo the french doors and wall up the hole. As we have access they've also given us the go ahead to start cleaning so I'm going over tomorrow to clear the junk out of the attic and garage.
Weren't the current owners doing the wall repair before possession? Or is this a different repair?

Rhyno posted:

Um, they gave us the key lock access code. So we have full access to the house.
While that might not be the best idea on their part (I would personally never do that), I would caution you about doing anything in the house before it's yours. If something goes sideways on the deal you don't want to have your own $$$ in it nor give them any avenue to come after you for anything.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

You are right: it probably is a bad idea. Closure will occur, but it may take time. Certainly no conversation stemming from a confrontation will provide you with the answers you need. You might be able to have a productive, mutual conversation in a neutral location, but probably not when feelings are raw.

everdave posted:

The most powerful thing you can do Ian move on and let them think you dont give a poo poo.
A girl broke up with me in October and she is great and I have nothing bad to say but man I wish I had not sent a single text after even though it was nothing bad.

Just move on and take power and comfort in it nothing good will come from contacting her. I’m old and I know please don’t if you can but if you do I understand.

Queen Combat posted:

No. Don't.

It's been two years and I'm just starting to heal closed. The brain is dumb and takes time but it's worth it over the potential lifelong mistake. Humans are set apart by complex learning. You've just been given the answer. Don't throw that value away.

Ok, it's good to know that my gut feeling about being a loving idiot is 100% accurate

I have strong opinions and like to argue, but I rarely get genuinely angry about anything. I'm a very easy going person in real life, despite what my posts might suggest. When I think about how cruel our break up was, I get this deep resentment that I don't know how to deal with because I don't normally get angry. Or even hold on to anger for more than a few hours. I was hoping that telling her how I felt would make the anger stop, but I'm clearly grasping at straws here

My friends are telling me that I need to talk to her about this, but I'm going to maintain radio silence for the time being. Maybe give it a couple months before I try to find out what the gently caress actually happened. Find some other way to get this festering mass of emotions out of my head

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

Find some other way to get this festering mass of emotions out of my head

Make something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

Weren't the current owners doing the wall repair before possession? Or is this a different repair?

While that might not be the best idea on their part (I would personally never do that), I would caution you about doing anything in the house before it's yours. If something goes sideways on the deal you don't want to have your own $$$ in it nor give them any avenue to come after you for anything.

This is the same repair and the sellers are still footing the bill for the wall repair. We just want to have that wall work done asap.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

The Door Frame posted:

1) Write everything down in a letter. Don’t hold back.

2) Burn the letter

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tomarse posted:

2) Burn the letter

This can actually be quite cathartic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tomarse posted:

2) Burn the letter

3) _________

4) profit

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Door Frame posted:

Ok, it's good to know that my gut feeling about being a loving idiot is 100% accurate

I have strong opinions and like to argue, but I rarely get genuinely angry about anything. I'm a very easy going person in real life, despite what my posts might suggest. When I think about how cruel our break up was, I get this deep resentment that I don't know how to deal with because I don't normally get angry. Or even hold on to anger for more than a few hours. I was hoping that telling her how I felt would make the anger stop, but I'm clearly grasping at straws here

My friends are telling me that I need to talk to her about this, but I'm going to maintain radio silence for the time being. Maybe give it a couple months before I try to find out what the gently caress actually happened. Find some other way to get this festering mass of emotions out of my head

https://youtu.be/--1LBnOcHhQ

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Tomarse posted:

2) Burn the letter

Wrote a letter once maybe 2002-3? It actually worked and we got back together only to break up even worse shortly after. And then she got married on tv (not making this up)

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

I agree. Case in point: the 323. It was going to be an exe's car to learn to drive on, now it's just awesome.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
A new j mascis album just came out and its v good

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Remembrance Sunday.

Always good to stop and take a moment to remember how lucky our generation is and think about those who made sacrifices for us.

I think about what my experience would have been if I were a young man at the time of the Great War and realise that it probably would have been to die in an utterly pointless fashion.

spog fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 11, 2018

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

The Door Frame posted:

Tomarse posted:

2) Burn the letter

Going to Nth this one here. There is no way to describe how cathartic it is, even though it sounds childish in a way. Just do it and it'll help you move on.

spog posted:

Remembrance Sunday.

Always good to stop and take a moment to remember how lucky our generation is and think about those who made sacrifices for us.

I think about what my experience would have been if I were a young man at the time of the Great War and realise that it probably would have been to die in an utterly pointless fashion.

"Had he and I but met
By some old ancient inn,
We should have sat us down to wet
Right many a nipperkin!

"But ranged as infantry,
And staring face to face,
I shot at him as he at me,
And killed him in his place.

"I shot him dead because —
Because he was my foe,
Just so: my foe of course he was;
That's clear enough; although

"He thought he'd 'list, perhaps,
Off-hand like — just as I —
Was out of work — had sold his traps —
No other reason why.

"Yes; quaint and curious war is!
You shoot a fellow down
You'd treat if met where any bar is,
Or help to half-a-crown."

I support and love our troops, but I am against war. It's always started by some idiots in power that won't have to fight themselves, nor have their children fight, and they won't bother spending money to help the VA care for the soldiers who haven't fully come back yet.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

everdave posted:

Wrote a letter once maybe 2002-3? It actually worked and we got back together only to break up even worse shortly after. And then she got married on tv (not making this up)

This is the kind of thing that piques my curiosity.

TDF I’m so sorry for your situation. It takes a long time to get over a relationship. I had some that were progressing towards marriage but when they ended it sucked. Usually lost weight (and sleep) and generally didn’t know how to re-enter the dating world. Take time and work on yourself. Like someone else said make something with your hands, go get one of those bitching LEGO sets and a membership to a gym or something. (Im not very good at internet advice)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

The Door Frame posted:

Ignore her completely, this is the only way you can get 'closure' out of this that isn't not-closure, or not-the-closure-YOU-wanted. Also she'll be wondering where all the begging and pleading texts are, and you'll be busy having a good life moving on.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SrGfmJl0fg

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

fridge corn posted:

One of my coworkers went to his show here in Seattle on Friday and said he was amazing.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Tomarse posted:

2) Burn the letter

Strangely enough, I already did the "write a letter no one will read" part last night. I guess it's time to light it on fire

Sgt Fox posted:

I agree. Case in point: the 323. It was going to be an exe's car to learn to drive on, now it's just awesome.

I'm building a capri, which is kind of a 323

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'd say give it at least a month before talking and clear your head as best you can. If you still want to have that conversation later, then just do it and get it over with. It'll probably make things worse having it, though.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
TDF: I know the desire to have closure, but seriously, even after some time opening up communications again is iffy at best because it brings everything back. Just let the emotions happen, accept them and try to move on.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Talking to that person may not give you the closure you're looking for.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

fridge corn posted:

I went to this today. It was awesome. I’m still not sure who some of the bands were:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Party Cannon are the true rebels.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

TDF I’m so sorry for your situation. It takes a long time to get over a relationship. I had some that were progressing towards marriage but when they ended it sucked. Usually lost weight (and sleep) and generally didn’t know how to re-enter the dating world. Take time and work on yourself. Like someone else said make something with your hands, go get one of those bitching LEGO sets and a membership to a gym or something. (Im not very good at internet advice)

Would answer anything life gets strange sometimes

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Fender Anarchist posted:

MrsAdiabatic showed me this very same image once. It's one of his favorite metal bands.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Fender Anarchist posted:

Party Cannon cracks me up every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tomarse posted:

I went to this today. It was awesome. I’m still not sure who some of the bands were:

They're like Porsches. You can see the badge, but no idea what it says.

• Locked thread