Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i think we're going to get a variety of party members and those groups wont always contain susie or ralsei, but wont ever be more than three at once. berdly and noelle are probably both party members later on at some point. i think papyrus might be one too if he's still supposed to be kind of an awkward kid-teen-skeleton guy, he could be a classmate in chapter 2 or 3? there will for sure at least be one former Undertale NPC who joins the party and papyrus would be the most fun to bring along on an adventure (undyne is a cop and would make no sense, ditto bringing your mom or teacher along or whatever, feels off-tone for this story so far)

if its going to be more like a traditional jrpg we might even have some control over who we bring along in some places, but that might affect story stuff and dialogue too much so maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Night in the Undertale

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

gently caress that's a lot better and more likely

Oh well I'm stickin to me guns

gun's

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Sea Lily posted:

i think we're going to get a variety of party members and those groups wont always contain susie or ralsei, but wont ever be more than three at once. berdly and noelle are probably both party members later on at some point. i think papyrus might be one too if he's still supposed to be kind of an awkward kid-teen-skeleton guy, he could be a classmate in chapter 2 or 3? there will for sure at least be one former Undertale NPC who joins the party and papyrus would be the most fun to bring along on an adventure (undyne is a cop and would make no sense, ditto bringing your mom or teacher along or whatever, feels off-tone for this story so far)

if its going to be more like a traditional jrpg we might even have some control over who we bring along in some places, but that might affect story stuff and dialogue too much so maybe not.

Imagine if Deltarune Papyrus is his original concept:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Worth noting that you can beat up the king instead of stalling him out and still get the pacifist aftermath of the ending. I wonder if the same applies to Jevil, but I haven't been able to beat him to test it out

Just defeated Jevil for the first time via beating him up, can confirm that you can still get the pacifist aftermath even if you beat him up, just like the king

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

skaianDestiny posted:

Imagine if Deltarune Papyrus is his original concept:

maybe he starts like that, an antisocial and miserable lonely bonely nerd, and then you take him to the dark world, where he appears in the royal guard outfit from Undertale, and he learns to be a hero and love making friends :allears:

make your classmate papyrus the most popular skeleton teen in school

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Other party remember seems reasonable but I have a hard time feeling like there's a lot of legit candidates for it. There's such a gulf of uh, importance? between Susie and Raslei and every other possible candidate. Susie was foreshadowed since the literal release of Undertale and Raslei is directly connected to Asrial in a bunch of ways. The next best chances for party members are Lancer, and then a distant second being Noel and then maybe a Undertale character. Because honestly as much as I liked them the other classmates have roughly the depth of the Nice Cream guy or the dude who won't answer his door because of how perfect your knock was.

Although Noel is already my candidate for being The Queen Jevil mentioned because it'd be funny.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Nep-Nep posted:

I'm glad this was mentioned because I've been feeling like The World Revolving would totally work as a boss theme for the Mario and Luigi series.

I want to say it almost sort of reminds me of the Antasma theme from Dream Team a bit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrAYVhPU-9g

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think it's more likely that we see a Kris-less party for a bit.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Fangz posted:

I think it's more likely that we see a Kris-less party for a bit.

this would be a pretty startling way to begin act 2 and i could be into that. very "this aint undertale" sort of decision. you as the soul itself getting help or finding someone who's a willing host or whatever.

if this game is going to do a lot of callbacks to undertale, ralsei might end up with a human soul inside him at some point

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

With all the stuff of "Hey come back tomorrow" in the epilogue i'm definitely expecting for a couple of days to have passed by the time Chapter 2 begins and we just get vague hints of how Kris responded to those.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Kris comes back to the heart in the cage and tells us ALL about the fun day they had hanging out with Papyrus all day that we missed out on because he knows that's the only way he can hurt us.

edit: Giving Kris actual dialog would actually be a crazy twist on the undertale formula now that I think about it.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
We'll never control a monster because that would spawn a demigod of some kind, assuming the player soul controlling the puppet Kris.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Haven't we already controlled Susie?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FisheyStix posted:

Haven't we already controlled Susie?

we just watch

the little visualization experiment ralsei suggests to kris basically evicts us from the game for a little while

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

my favorite is that the Knight is the character we discarded before the game began

That would make the game even more like Moon. UT was already compared to it, especially the Japanese release

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Ruffian Price posted:

That would make the game even more like Moon. UT was already compared to it, especially the Japanese release

That also mirrors us choosing our own robot that is supposed to whoop our butts.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

And yeah I can definitely see the player eavesdropping on offscreen conversations in later chapters, with Kris getting an emotive character portrait

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

we just watch

the little visualization experiment ralsei suggests to kris basically evicts us from the game for a little while

The alternate reading of that scene is just Kris/the SOUL imagining what Susie is up to in a protracted daydream while completely tuning out Ralsei and the aftermath of it just happens to line up approximately with what otherwise went down between Susie and Lancer.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
There may be something about the idea that Kris is fighting off the player's influence on them. We were told at the beginning to acknowledge the possibility of pain or seizure. I don't think it means epileptic seizure, but forcible re-distribution/possession.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Samovar posted:

There may be something about the idea that Kris is fighting off the player's influence on them. We were told at the beginning to acknowledge the possibility of pain or seizure. I don't think it means epileptic seizure, but forcible re-distribution/possession.

like getting stuck in a birdcage

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Samovar posted:

a lot of what we're talking about digs into symbolism, but kris throwing off the player's influence is explicit fact

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Are other humans ever mentioned in the game? Maybe instead of Humans and Monsters, this timeline just has Monsters and whatever the Darkeners are, and Kris is just a very human-looking monster.

Edit: Does any of the townspeople ever acknowledge Kris as a human?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 12, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Toalpaz posted:

We'll never control a monster because that would spawn a demigod of some kind, assuming the player soul controlling the puppet Kris.

In terms of the Undertale lore, yes, but as far as has been established the power of a monster with a soul is mostly unrelated to how Deltarune and Undertale is played. Maybe it just means Susie or whoever gets to ACT.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: Does any of the townspeople ever acknowledge Kris as a human?

Plenty. Noelle's dad mentions Noelle being scared of humans under the bed (and Kris hiding under her bed to scare her), Noelle mentions Kris covering their arm in ketchup and saying it's blood (something only humans have) as a prank, and there's the one kid who asks you if it hurts to be made by blood (since you're a human).

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Your Computer posted:

Plenty. Noelle's dad mentions Noelle being scared of humans under the bed (and Kris hiding under her bed to scare her), Noelle mentions Kris covering their arm in ketchup and saying it's blood (something only humans have) as a prank, and there's the one kid who asks you if it hurts to be made by blood (since you're a human).

Ah, I should probably play through the intro again. I kinda rushed through it, since I noticed the game pretty late in the evening, and wanted to get to the action. Thanks!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I think no other humans showing up (so far) remains the same case it was in Undertale: Toby just did not want to design any more human characters than was absolutely necessary for the story: one.

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

Broken Cog posted:

Are other humans ever mentioned in the game? Maybe instead of Humans and Monsters, this timeline just has Monsters and whatever the Darkeners are, and Kris is just a very human-looking monster.

There's a book on Toriel's bookshelf called The History of Humans and Monsters, written by Gerson. We don't get to read it, but clearly there are or were other humans elsewhere. Noelle's fear of "humans under the bed" suggests that they could be boogeymen in monster society, but no one in town seems to have a problem with Kris on the grounds of them being human.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Two Inch Bee posted:

no one in town seems to have a problem with Kris on the grounds of them being human.

Though Kris doesn't really have friends, either. People are friendly enough to them, but they don't really hang out or anything. Could be the monsters don't have an explicit problem with humans but also just don't feel they can make a personal connection.

Or that could be more to do with Kris as a person, the game doesn't seem to be interested in racism as a theme anywhere else.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Berdy explicitly picks on Kris for being human.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I think it's sad Gerson died :(

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

The real hanging plot thread from this game is the mystery of what constitutes a "hot demon guy" in a world with actual monsters.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I will keep holding on to my all-human-trapped-underground theory. :angel:

Anyway, reading back some undertale lore, a boss monster ages with its offspring. Yet, asgore looked the same when asriel went to collage? It’s the exact same sprite in pacifist ending.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Separate Asgores

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Although Noel is already my candidate for being The Queen Jevil mentioned because it'd be funny.

My guess is if chapter 2 involves Noelle going to the dark world then the queen will be patterned on Noelle’s mother. Just as Spade King evoked Susie’s insecurity issues (“quiet people piss me off”) I could see the queen embodying Noelle’s bottled up resentment of her mother.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Chapter two - everyone in town murdered. Susie escapes to underground to get help from human.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh man, I got speculation so you know that means that I gotta put it in spoiler tags for some reason beyond my control! Ralsei looking like Asriel is just a thing about the Darkners. If Lancer took his mask off he'd look like Asgore but slightly off. Seam is Burgerpants, Rouxls is Berdly. Also, the Dark World isn't real. We know that Kris has a computer in his room, and that games exist because Toriel mentions them and there's one under Asriel's bed too.

So, him and Kris are just talking on the computer. Kris tells them about how they're getting bullied and Asriel makes up a story about him and Susie becoming friends after going to a magical other world. Ralsei looking like Asriel at the end and being so friendly and good natured is an addition Kris puts at the end because Asriel's like the perfect big brother.

I am so hoping this materializes because I super want to fight Noelle's dad.

Also I hope Toby hires Seth Everman.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Man, I’m listening to The Legend, and I’m mega jealous of how Toby got those waves to sound like that. I know it’s not a straight up NES track, cause there’s definitely some orchestral samples in there, but the 2A03 can do some of it, at least!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Toby Fox is an anagram for Booty FX :yosbutt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Really Pants posted:

Toby Fox is an anagram for Booty FX :yosbutt: