Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Okay I think I might just satisfy my Vampire bloodlust (ha ha!) myself

Do either V20 or VTR have a good premade adventure to use as a springboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Reap the Whirlwind is fun and in second edition too!

I'm thinking of running a V:tR game every other week, Chicago based game though I'd avoid the Requiem fluff on the city, unless everyone wanted that.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I want to run a game with the pitch of "Melodramatic Goth Superheroes fail to save the world, maybe save themselves". I'm probably gonna go with V20 drawing on a lot of Revised's Gehenna stuff.

But I'm way more familiar with Requiem than Masquerade, and I like it a lot more. But for that tone, I feel like I want to do it as a 90s period piece using V20. Is there a compelling reason to go with Requiem?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

cptn_dr posted:

I want to run a game with the pitch of "Melodramatic Goth Superheroes fail to save the world, maybe save themselves". I'm probably gonna go with V20 drawing on a lot of Revised's Gehenna stuff.

But I'm way more familiar with Requiem than Masquerade, and I like it a lot more. But for that tone, I feel like I want to do it as a 90s period piece using V20. Is there a compelling reason to go with Requiem?

Requiem (especially 2e) has tighter mechanics IMO and also isn't a 520-page monolith of basically every highlight of Vampire: The Masquerade's entire run, if that makes a difference to you.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

^^^ That, too.

cptn_dr posted:

• You can do basically everything Masquerade does in Requiem, but the difference between a 2000 year-old conspiracy master and your typical PCs is a lot more manageable even if you go completely crazy handing your ancient mastermind free stuff.

• The Disciplines are manifestly handled better in Requiem, especially the physical ones. Despite some striking changes from past editions elsewhere, V20 left some garbage mechanics largely untouched.

• Even with all the hindsight rehabilitation of revised and *20, Masquerade still has a lot of gross stereotypes in it.

• If I were in the game either choice could be fun, but Masquerade comes with a lot of unnecessary baggage I couldn't possibly get invested in. It would be more of a legitimate mystery/horror show if you didn't lean on Masquerade's metaplot. At which point why bother using it? Certainly draw inspiration from it; there're some cool dooms prophesied in there. But it's weighed down by a bunch of masturbatory god-NPC drama from twenty years ago. Use your own, bespoke god-NPCs to tell your own endtimes.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 12, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

sexpig by night posted:

oooh fun I know what I'm gonna waste my day tomorrow watching, thanks!

can someone remind me what marky mark here has worked on in the past like five years that makes him worth having on when he's this stupid, because it feels like he's just coasting on his 90's success.

If the European RPG writers scene is anything to go by, he's probably smoked weed and pretended to like whisky with enough dorklords that they keep him around even if he pisses off millions of more sensible fans.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The only good Malkavian I've seen in play is a dude who played up being a blind seer who had mysterious visions that were sometimes just true enough to be useful, and everyone thought the visions were his brand of crazy, but it turned out the issue was that his eyes were perfectly functional and his embrace had given him permanent psychosomatic blindness.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Plenty, usually when going for an interesting concept rather fishmalk.

I've got this concept I wanna play one of a Malkavian who thinks his derangement is the vision of a friend he betrayed that keeps haunting him, when in fact he is actively being haunted by his friend's ghost and hsi actual derangement is something else.

lol this one is good.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I used Requiem’s “Malkovian” for a character. The concept was that he was faking being a normal Ventrue and doing his best to hide his bloodline.

For fun, only the ST knew and used it to mess with me by passing me notes. The rest of the party never figured it out. In retrospect, we should have had it lead to a fun reveal at some point but whatever. What’s done is done. That game was like 4 years ago now.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Random thought, what happens if a Charlatan gets kidnapped by another Fae? Can they become a changeling? Do they just go back to being a Fae?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I imagine a Fae that became a Charlatan through dying might become a Changeling, but one that became a Charlatan through being banished would just get UnBanished, if they were even capable of being abducted in the first place.

One that became a Charlatan through an obsession with humanity would probably just re-fae and be all "Hey dude what the gently caress!?"

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

GimpInBlack posted:

Requiem (especially 2e) has tighter mechanics IMO and also isn't a 520-page monolith of basically every highlight of Vampire: The Masquerade's entire run, if that makes a difference to you.

As the vocal V20 fan I am, I'll concur that the only reason to pickup V20 is your familiarity with the setting.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

As the vocal V20 fan I am, I'll concur that the only reason to pickup V20 is your familiarity with the setting.

Masquerade was my first, so I'll always have a fond spot for its Revised/V20 incarnation. Sometimes I feel the urge to go back, and I think if I'd do it I'd use the Requiem rules with a helping from the Translation Guide for the missing disciplines.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ZearothK posted:

Masquerade was my first, so I'll always have a fond spot for its Revised/V20 incarnation. Sometimes I feel the urge to go back, and I think if I'd do it I'd use the Requiem rules with a helping from the Translation Guide for the missing disciplines.

It's tempting the next time I run Masquerade to just use the Translation guide.

How complete is it, out of curiosity? I don't expect my players would be 'hey, I want to play a Daughter of Cacophony' or something but if so?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Dawgstar posted:

It's tempting the next time I run Masquerade to just use the Translation guide.

How complete is it, out of curiosity? I don't expect my players would be 'hey, I want to play a Daughter of Cacophony' or something but if so?

Then you're out of luck, time to go homebrewing. The only disciplines it has are the ones belonging to the 13 clans.

There's a certain level of discrepancy in power if you're using 2E disciplines (which are in general more powerful and expansive in effect) with the Translation Guide, as it was made for 1E; but the only core disciplines that don't have an equivalent in 2E (if you use Nightmare as Dementation), are Obtenebration, Chimestry, Vicissitude and Quietus. The last one you can do as Blood Magic, while the other three were overpowered in comparison to the rest anyway, so you can take them in stride with minimal adjustment.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
2e is good, but Requiem ruined Obfuscate by not giving Mask of 1,000 faces, and I'll never forgive it for that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ZearothK posted:

Then you're out of luck, time to go homebrewing. The only disciplines it has are the ones belonging to the 13 clans.

I still might look into it. Thanks.

Captain Monkey posted:

2e is good, but Requiem ruined Obfuscate by not giving Mask of 1,000 faces, and I'll never forgive it for that.

I get the feeling that might be because there's no hideously ugly clan. Reqiuem Nosferatu can be, but they can also look like models whose shadows move independently of their body and creep people out or something.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I get the feeling that might be because there's no hideously ugly clan. Reqiuem Nosferatu can be, but they can also look like models whose shadows move independently of their body and creep people out or something.

Right, I get why, but it still annoys me. What if I want to play am ugly Nos? You're just shut out of a lot of things with no recourse.

Plus its a fun power.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

Good news!

Requiem 2E Core, p138 posted:

The Familiar Stranger ••••

Rather than removing himself from the perceptions of other people, the vampire can instead adjust how they see him. He can either appear as a subjective face, a “frail old woman,” or a “young lothario,” or as a specific person, like “Tom’s friend Jason.” People perceive the vampire as though he were who they’d expect to see based on his chosen disguise — everyone has a different idea of what a frail old woman looks like, after all.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So today I learned about one of American history's weirder figures, and you get to now too:

John Murray Spear, the abolitionist who tried to build Robot Jesus in the 1800s.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Mors Rattus posted:

So today I learned about one of American history's weirder figures, and you get to now too:

John Murray Spear, the abolitionist who tried to build Robot Jesus in the 1800s.

this guy rules

quote:

There, they would produce the New Motive Power, a "mechanical messiah" that would bring about true paradise. The New Motive Power would be built of zinc, copper, magnets and a dining room table. It would take nine months to build, a time period carefully selected by Spear.

At the end of the nine months, Spear and a woman known to history only as "the New Mary" would ritually birth the machine, giving it spiritual life. The New Motive Power, he believed, would then produce even more benevolent machines of perfection, which would free humanity.

So is he the first person to talk about the singularity? I'm reading a collection of historical essays that have strains that lead to accelerationism and I don't think the whole "the machines will build better machines until the machines run everything, as it should be" crops up in those lines of thought until around the 1870s.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

He honestly might be. He's certainly the first person I can think of to try and actually cause it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

I guess I assumed it was the same as the 1e version, where you're just the next person they expected to see. A power that was neat, but not MoaTF good.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I played a Malkavian way back in the day who couldn't accept certain unpleasant emotions and invented a person to project them onto, which I played entirely straight- at no point would it ever have occurred to my character that other people couldn't see or hear this fictitious person, and I found out years later that the general theory was that there legitimately was somebody my character was socializing with, arguing with, and occasionally begging to restrain himself from violence.

I figure that if you can get a bunch of people seriously questioning whether you're deranged or simply in possession of more facts about reality than they are, you've probably done okay as a Malkavian.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I've only really played a Malkavian twice. The first one I tried really hard not to fishmalk and was so worried about it he wound up being pretty boring.

The other was a Malkavian who was a Toreador. As in, he did not believe he was a Malkavian, he was a Toreador, he reported to the Toreador Primogen, and no one in the city except a couple of the Nosferatu knew he was a Malkavian.

Though I've had a couple of concepts I thought were good; one was a Malkavian who was convinced a pack of Werewolves was out to get him, with the irony that his fear and hatred of Werewolves would actually probably lead to a pack actually being out to get him.

The other one I really want to play is one with a few dots of Allies and Contacts, except at least one of his contacts isn't real, and the ST gets to decide which one is just a voice in his head he talks to on the phone.

EDIT: I had a third concept for a Malk but I wound up using that concept for a Changeling.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 13, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

NutritiousSnack posted:

Reap the Whirlwind is fun and in second edition too!

I'm thinking of running a V:tR game every other week, Chicago based game though I'd avoid the Requiem fluff on the city, unless everyone wanted that.

So I looked at Reap the Whirlwind and it expects your characters to already be ancillae?

That seems counter intuitive for your starter adventure.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I wanna throw vending machines at people but since damage always caps out at the LOWER of Durability and Size there's really no point in throwing anything bigger than a metal barstool at people using Vigor's secondary function.

This saddens me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shockeh posted:

There's always the deception Malk - You play as one Derangement to hide the fact your actual one is significantly worse.

Y'know, like 'Hoo ha ha I am an adorable Fishmalk' whilst actually just being a huge fuckin' diablerist with poor impulse control.

This was the last Malk I made, they had pretty severe auditory hallucinations that they thought were the voices of God but they faked having visual ones because A) that was what everyone tends to expect of Malks and if the power players felt they were just a harmless nutter seeing pretty pictures they'd be less of a threat and B) they thought as a 'true prophet' it was best to keep their 'gifts' secret.

Led to a fun time when during our extremely tense shadow war with the prince they got to use the phrase 'God warned me you'd do this' when I got insanely lucky and basically caught the prince's #1 enforcer about to ambush the group.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Crasical posted:

I wanna throw vending machines at people but since damage always caps out at the LOWER of Durability and Size there's really no point in throwing anything bigger than a metal barstool at people using Vigor's secondary function.

This saddens me.

Size still determines the damage type. And while you get a +1 to Durability for 'reinforced layers' I think all the racks and gizmos inside would count enough to make it Durability 5 (from a start of 3), then L because it's bigger than Size 5. Plus your Strength and Vigor are contributing to the attack roll, and successes turn into extra damage. So at the least you're doing like 6L.

nofather fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 13, 2018

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007
I've got a very long-running Malkavian in one of the national organizations. The short version of how he gets played most of the time is to take someone with bad ptsd from abuse during the accounting, then run basically everything through a filter of Joseph Campbell and Frazer's The Golden Bough. Treat everything as if it works on fairy tale logic because it's a lot easier than coping with how hosed up things really are. My character design goals were basically "people who actually have mental illness are not a walking comedy routine and are able to have agency in their life on a day to day basis", "totally ignore all plot I don't want to be involved in and all national characters I don't want to talk to", and "if a strong narrative choice / bad decision presents itself, go all in because that's fun." It helps that I spent a bit telling fortunes on the street in the 90s so I'm decent at spouting ambiguously worded prophecies which are almost bound to happen. It also helps to have a lot of STing experience so I can present one simple solution to a plot which ends up being way cooler than whatever the ST originally had planned, so they often go for it.

It's been a lot of fun to play, though I periodically have people who know my primarily through the character talk as though I'm a malkavian OOC, which is super awkward. There are also a lot of really bad Malkavian players out there. With Malkavian players it's split pretty evenly between the awesome roleplayers and the weirdos you want to avoid. On the plus side, that's better than Tremere or Ventrue, who are 90% people creating an escapist power fantasy in which everyone has to respect them.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Again, still haven't played, but I always thought Ventrue were neat for the weaknesses that those gifts can expose in oneself. It seems to me when the player is shouting "YOU WILL RESPECT ME!" that sounds like wish fulfillment. When a character says it, that sounds like "huh, I wonder what insecurity he's hiding?"

Maybe it's just because Lacroix in Bloodlines doesn't have the juice to lead and covers it with institutional power and bluster. Like a Cersei Lannister type. (I love Cersei Lannister.)

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 14, 2018

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I always want to play Malkavians as, 'mental illness is equal parts chemical distress and/or rational mental response to trauma' but the setting keeps yelling at me that my madness is supposed to let me see through the veil of time or whatever.

Like it would be really rewarding to play a Malkavian that gets sullen and withdrawn when he has to interact with, say, churches or death or marriages, but 'sullen and withdrawn' is a bit too subtle for most Masquerade groups.

EDIT: To elaborate a bit - mental illness is a function of what goes on in your head and how distressing it is to deal with it. What you present to the world is usually what you think passes for normalcy, not the reality of what you're experiencing. Agitation, depression and very subtle ticks are way more realistic and fun to explore, I think for me anyway, but maybe I'm wrong.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 14, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mendrian posted:

EDIT: To elaborate a bit - mental illness is a function of what goes on in your head and how distressing it is to deal with it. What you present to the world is usually what you think passes for normalcy, not the reality of what you're experiencing. Agitation, depression and very subtle ticks are way more realistic and fun to explore, I think for me anyway, but maybe I'm wrong.

That's how I played my last Malkavian. She just had Paranoia, but wasn't doing things like hiding under tables or yelling in people's faces that they were clearly fleshcrafted spies or other assorted nonsense I've seen others fishmalk it up with. Much more low-key, like doing the gunslinger thing of never sitting with your back to the door and always making sure she had a bead on the exits and such. Of course for a vampire this could all be considered healthy anyway.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, here's an article from Polygon about the new Camarilla book.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mendrian posted:

I always want to play Malkavians as, 'mental illness is equal parts chemical distress and/or rational mental response to trauma' but the setting keeps yelling at me that my madness is supposed to let me see through the veil of time or whatever.

Like it would be really rewarding to play a Malkavian that gets sullen and withdrawn when he has to interact with, say, churches or death or marriages, but 'sullen and withdrawn' is a bit too subtle for most Masquerade groups.

Yeah the big problem with all of this would seem to be: How could you clearly distinguish this from player distaste/indifferent play quality?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
So with Werewolf, I can potentially work out the likelihood of a number of historic figures being kin or outright Garou where they descend from known Garou/Kin figures (e.g. Erik the Red was Get), which might be an interesting speculative appendix.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Holy poo poo that made it through editing and some one said "Brilliant, print it!"

I thought I understood to what degree NuWW was tone deaf, but apparently I was really wrong about that assessment.

Who thought that was a good idea? Why do I want that as an option for my game of pretend vampires?

:psyduck:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
RELEVANCE! 90s! EDGE! That's more or less the entirety of Swedracula's editorial process.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I mean didn't he straight up scream "COWARDS!" for not making 9/11 a literal vampire conspiracy, too? Dude literally bragged about how he'd be doing exactly this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean didn't he straight up scream "COWARDS!" for not making 9/11 a literal vampire conspiracy, too? Dude literally bragged about how he'd be doing exactly this.
Yes, he did.
e: Found the quote

quote:

The attempt to create a deep mythology by linking the setting to Exalted was the worst choice ever. That was the last step in WoD’d death-march from being an artistic horror-IP to full on immature, escapist Urban Fantasy. The inability to deal with and integrate real-world events in the setting. If you can write about the Holocaust, you can write about 9/11. Fear is the death of creativity. The game was always best in the hands of storytellers who dared to place the story close to reality, often in their own cities, featuring real places and people.
This is what's printed in NYBN in the space on the credits page that they normally use for the "COMING SOON" blurbs.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 14, 2018