Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Upgrading your computer every few years just to play games is a waste of money. I just threw a 1070Ti into an old i7-2600k rig and it runs games like magic again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rutibex posted:

but not better than the Super Shotgun

The super shotgun doesn't get excitedly announced to you by the game's audio every time you pick it up.

The metal slug shotgun felt awesome though. It just ripped through everything and felt powerful in a way that made it's short range worth it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

playing games on a console is superior to PC in almost every way except that PC games are cheaper on average

-controllers are always better than mouse and keyboard
-they're more conducive to playing in front of a big TV instead of a dumb expensive monitor
-you can enjoy games with friends more easily on a console than on a PC, which requires extra bullshit to get multiple controllers working
-more games are on PC but 99% of the additional games are trash and the good ones always come to consoles
-all of the best games are on consoles anyway, or are console exclusives
-consoles are incredibly inexpensive and can play the latest games just fine
-consoles only need to be replaced when the next generation of console comes out (every 6+ years) and they will play everything perfectly throughout that entire lifespan
-If I needed to bring a console with me somewhere, I can do it very easily
-consoles look good and are designed to fit into your decor/go unnoticed, versus big ugly computer towers that are incredibly obvious unless you spend a lot of money on a low-profile tower
-I can borrow/trade games with friends easily on consoles
-console has 2 wires versus a PC's many wires

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

playing games on a console is superior to PC in almost every way except that PC games are cheaper on average

-they're more conducive to playing in front of a big TV instead of a dumb expensive monitor
-you can enjoy games with friends more easily on a console than on a PC, which requires extra bullshit to get multiple controllers working
-more games are on PC but 99% of the additional games are trash and the good ones always come to consoles
-consoles only need to be replaced when the next generation of console comes out (every 6+ years) and they will play everything perfectly throughout that entire lifespan
-consoles look good and are designed to fit into your decor/go unnoticed, versus big ugly computer towers that are incredibly obvious unless you spend a lot of money on a low-profile tower

Ah but have you forgotten, we don't have friends

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tango alpha delta posted:

Upgrading your computer every few years just to play games is a waste of money. I just threw a 1070Ti into an old i7-2600k rig and it runs games like magic again.

same. my computer is old as gently caress but its an i7 and i have a new graphics card so it runs everything fine. the RAM is kind of slow though

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Verisimilidude posted:

*crying and rocking in the corner*

So...so many wires.

*takes own life*

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

like you I also suck at FPS and strategy games *places reassuring hand on shoulder*

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Verisimilidude posted:

The only thing consoles are better than PCs is for competitive gaming in specific genres, due to consoles having the same exact hardware configuration they don't vary in inputs or timing, making them ideal platforms for speed runs and fighting games.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
both consoles and PC are the past grandpa. real gamers play mobile

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

pcgamers crack me up, they spend thousands of dollars on their rigs and just end up playing lovely mmos and mobas and multiplayer shooters for years and years with the occasional steam indie game

and then in the end God of War just looks better than any pc game out there lol

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Some Diablo 1/2 history from the man himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D_bVgplit0

These games are never coming back, a AAA game today is a huge financial risk to allow personal creativity/experimentation

He talks about deciding to add multiplayer a few months before shipping Diablo, playing with the inventory which had some body parts/crafting and deciding to scrap it, characters just made it in the game if they were a cool idea(no prototyping). if I recall correctly, Battle.Net was running off a single PC server for years

Also there was a Starblo in the works, good interview for gaming history

Edit: YouTube recommend this other talk, seems interesting too: https://youtu.be/VscdPA6sUkc

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 12, 2018

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

pcgamers crack me up, they spend thousands of dollars on their rigs and just end up playing lovely mmos and mobas and multiplayer shooters for years and years with the occasional steam indie game

and then in the end God of War just looks better than any pc game out there lol
i just use my 8-year old pc to play stellaris and rimworld and stuff like that :shrug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I spent thousands of dollars on my PC. It’s a workstation though, gently caress playing games on a PC lol.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Verisimilidude posted:

Crusader Kings 2 isn't on consoles

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Also the load times on a console feel like eternity after playing the same game on an ssd.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Rutibex posted:

but not better than the Super Shotgun

As if the other shotgun even exists

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rutibex posted:

same. my computer is old as gently caress but its an i7 and i have a new graphics card so it runs everything fine. the RAM is kind of slow though

An i5 4570, gtx 970, ssd and 8 gig cheap ram still basically destroys everything if you don't care about 4k or glassy smooth 60 fps. I crank everything to max then turn down a couple of settings if I want it smoother.

E: also I play everything I can on a controller, much easier on my hands

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

We're back to monitors being a bottleneck and I think that's just grand because the setup for g-sync and poo poo is so expensive it's not even on my radar

also

dreadmojo posted:

E: also I play everything I can on a controller, much easier on my hands

The switch pro controller is currently the best PC pad by a wide margin if you're playing on steam

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm the guy who spends 4 figures on a PC with high end components, just to end up playing 2D indie games.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Yeah, I literally almost made it a decade on my computer without doing a full upgrade. Just went for an i9 and 1070 and I’m expecting it’ll last another 10.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

My Linux Rig posted:

Yeah, I literally almost made it a decade on my computer without doing a full upgrade. Just went for an i9 and 1070 and I’m expecting it’ll last another 10.

I'll be buying a 9900k and some RTX down the line. Yes it will likely be four figures, but it will last me practically a decade.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

but you need a computer anyway

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I am seriously considering not even bothering with gaming pc hardware now that consoles are where they are graphically. PCs are all about pushing framerates and poo poo past what a TV can do now and I just want it to look pretty and 60fps is fine to me. The graphics capabilities of the Switch are good enough for me and if the game I'm playing is fun then who gives a poo poo, but if I want stuff to be pretty I can use a snazzy tv I guess.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

144hz is the poo poo

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

144hz is the poo poo

I'm sure it is and I'll have it when it costs what a normal monitor costs now but fuuuuuuuuuuck the underlaying hardware you need to drive that poo poo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I only want a decent PC for VR. I'd rather just play everything else on console even if the frame rate isn't as good. I honestly don't give a crap about that poo poo unless it's a juddery mess and that hasn't really been an issue with the newest consoles at all.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Verisimilidude posted:

You do realise the only reason you can play an FPS on a console at all is because it's aiming for you?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

EvilGenius posted:

You do realise the only reason you can play an FPS on a console at all is because it's aiming for you?

What are you even talking about

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

EvilGenius posted:

*leans back, wipes another booger onto his computer chair :smug: *

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I won't give a poo poo about VR until From Software makes a Dark Souls game for it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fromsoft just put out a Miyazaki directed game this week for VR. It's about being a chill fairy who helps orphans but it's still fromsoft as hell.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

signalnoise posted:

What are you even talking about

Most shooters on consoles have an auto aim built in that will cause you to track your target if you aim in their general direction. I recently decided to pull timesplitters out for nostalgia's sake and it's really noticeable once you're aware of it.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

FoolyCharged posted:

Most shooters on consoles have an auto aim built in that will cause you to track your target if you aim in their general direction. I recently decided to pull timesplitters out for nostalgia's sake and it's really noticeable once you're aware of it.

I dunno about timesplitters because that was forever ago, but these days it's not so much that it tracks your target, as much as when you're over a target its like, 'rough', it's harder to mover the cursor, and then its smoother when you're off a target. So, in this way its like, you have to aim, but then it's easier to stay on the target

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Lol at these people saying “uhh but what about SHOOTERS?”

Most FPS suck rear end and literally the last thing I want to do is play a game with a bunch of preteens shouting racial slurs at each other.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've got 3770k from 2012 and there's still very little to be gained by upgrading. A good GPU from 6 years ago is probably still fine too if you're not doing vr, 4k or 144hz

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
People who play hours and hours of PUBG or counterstrike must be a bit unhinged. I play videogames to run around strange places, see unusual things, cast magic spells and just have fun. Playing videogames to exclusively shoot other human targets is lame as gently caress.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

CrRoMa posted:

People who play hours and hours of PUBG or counterstrike must be a bit unhinged. I play videogames to run around strange places, see unusual things, cast magic spells and just have fun. Playing videogames to exclusively shoot other human targets is lame as gently caress.

not to mention the idea of looking at the same environments and hearing the same sound effects for years and years, it seems like the realm of the insane person

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

CrRoMa posted:

absolutely, those games are really dull and I can not imagine playing them more then once or twice before the novelty completely wears off

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Don't get me wrong i have 40 hours in pubg which seems a lot but there are people whom my friends list who have played that game for 800 hours and i just can't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

not to mention the idea of looking at the same environments and hearing the same sound effects for years and years, it seems like the realm of the insane person

in this respect there's no difference between counterstrike and playing any sport