Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It's really only the first game that's Etrian-like. (And is really blatant about it.) The later games pretty much went off and became their own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
If I am going to use a hound rover, should I have a cannon or shield focused dragoon?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Aerofallosov posted:

If I am going to use a hound rover, should I have a cannon or shield focused dragoon?

Shieldbearer, in general, is a bit lackluster regardless of party composition. I'd recommend Cannonbearer.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Yeah, the thing about Dragoons is that their mainstay defensive skills are all in the base class skillset anyway, so you're choosing between being a viable attacker or having a couple of extra niche defensive options.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Aerofallosov posted:

Hound Rover is absolutely not a tank class if that's what you're thinking of using it for, the dog's block skill only covers one character per turn and the activation is really slow. Hound Rover is a replacement for a combat healer who can throw out binds, stuns, and the traditional EO god-tier raw def debuff. Late in the game, the dog's luck drops off so you might want to switch to bind and status items, because the character themself can get >230 luck.

That said you don't really need a tank in this game(?)

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 25, 2018

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Oh no, I was thinking of running a chain link party. I just - like turrets and was worried about the doggo.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The turrets/bunkers will draw aggro regardless of it being a shieldbearer or a cannonbearer dragoon, so if you want to protect the doggo it might be a good idea to skip the turret skills altogether.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
almost nothing targets the dog anyway, except for the rare line attack and all-random target skills

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Recently I picked up EO3 again and it floors me how good the third stratum music is.

I just hope EO4 has some equally good music somewhere, or finishing it after EO3 will become a serious chore.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
For my money, EO3 has the most sustained and consistent quality of music. Pretty much all of the stratum themes are money.

EO4 definitely has a couple of themes that recall EO3. Plus the gameplay is more balanced and enjoyable, so I think you'll be satisfied.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Libluini posted:

Recently I picked up EO3 again and it floors me how good the third stratum music is.

I just hope EO4 has some equally good music somewhere, or finishing it after EO3 will become a serious chore.

4 has a great soundtrack overall but I think more individual tracks from 3 end up in most peoples' top lists.

Highlights from 4 for me are all three normal battles, miniboss battle (remix of sea battle from 3), stratum III and IV, and overworld 4.

But from 3 I think that FOE battle, boss battle, and all of the stratum themes are best in their class across the entire series.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I've been wanting to try an EO game for a while. Untold 1 and 2 are on sale for 3DS. Are either of these decent entry points to the series?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

vulturesrow posted:

I've been wanting to try an EO game for a while. Untold 1 and 2 are on sale for 3DS. Are either of these decent entry points to the series?

Depends on what you want out of them. Untold 1 is fine in Story mode (which gives you a fixed party); if you play Classic mode (the one that lets you make your own characters), you miss out on a significant amount of gameplay content and will probably have to grind a bit to make up for it. If making your own party from scratch is important to you, Untold 2 has better parity between Story and Classic mode, but it garnered some complaints about the boss battle design (the majority of boss fights are heavily scripted, and if you don't learn what actions a boss takes at what times and use the right skills to counter it, you'll have a pretty hard time).

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Worth noting that Gladsheim, the EOU Story-only dungeon, isn't really significant content; both the dungeon design and bosses are pretty unremarkable. The point about having to grind a bit to make up for it is still valid, though.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Any 3DS title is a good entry point.
Personally I prefer the second Untold over the first. Stories are independant so you can start with either (EO2U acknowledges in one line that EOU happened and that's about it).

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.
How easy is it to get away without a dedicated tank of some kind in EO5? I just picked it back up after a long break and was somewhere in the 4th stratum, and I was thinking of starting over since it has been a good while. I was thinking of going Pugilist-Harbinger-Masuro-Warlock-Botanist/Shaman. Most likely the former, since I don't know if passive healing will be enough, especially through the early game. But ideally debuffs ailments and binds should be enough to survive later bosses, right?

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Healer Botanists get a passive that allows them to overheal for up to 33% max HP.
That alone is usually enough for Earthlains to survive most things. Your Masurao should of course not go for Blade Dancer because they need their armor - and if you make them a Therian (which I recommend) Spirit Sword should help keeping them alive against most bosses.

Barrage Pugilist and Deathbringer Harbinger are pretty good at controlling random encounters and against FOEs and bosses any Celestrian can make the fight way, way easier with Chain Blast.
Ailments and binds are a form of defence.

The second boss is probably going to be pretty hard but overall your party looks very stable.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
If you have harbinger debuffs and shaman buffs, combined with some assorted healing, you can survive most fights, even bosses.You can get some Unions that will help for spot defense against charge-up moves, and you get a lot of mileage shutting down dangerous enemies via bind or ailment.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

How easy is it to get away without a dedicated tank of some kind in EO5? I just picked it back up after a long break and was somewhere in the 4th stratum, and I was thinking of starting over since it has been a good while. I was thinking of going Pugilist-Harbinger-Masuro-Warlock-Botanist/Shaman. Most likely the former, since I don't know if passive healing will be enough, especially through the early game. But ideally debuffs ailments and binds should be enough to survive later bosses, right?

I didn't run a tank at all and I was fine. Your playstyle shifts to locking enemies down, which means lots of learning which attacks are dangerous and then binding the corresponding parts. It's very luck-based, so make sure your Pug is Earthlain and wears all that +LUC equipment, even at the expense of defense. You'll need some kind of TP-based activated healing but honestly my Botanist had like 2 or 3 ranks in Healing Herb just so I could have long-term sustain in the dungeon, and that was pretty much all I needed.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

I didn't run a tank at all and I was fine. Your playstyle shifts to locking enemies down, which means lots of learning which attacks are dangerous and then binding the corresponding parts. It's very luck-based, so make sure your Pug is Earthlain and wears all that +LUC equipment, even at the expense of defense. You'll need some kind of TP-based activated healing but honestly my Botanist had like 2 or 3 ranks in Healing Herb just so I could have long-term sustain in the dungeon, and that was pretty much all I needed.

You can also just have like, Pancakes and some amritas.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Pancakes are pretty scarce--well they're not scarce but getting ingredients takes a lot of calendar grinding. And healing items are expensive not only in terms of price relative to your progress through the game, but also in the space they take up in your inventory. The more you bring, the shorter your runs get; but a healer is always free and takes up zero inventory space.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I beat the game with 5 warlocks, tanks are entirely unnecessary :colbert:

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.
Yes, but you're a crazy person.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ended up grabbing Untold 1 after a rec for this series and liking the demo. Any newcomer tips, particularly for party building - should I just stick with the story party if I have no idea what I'm doing?

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
EOU story party is both rather straight forward and strong. It's not a horrible idea to stick with it.
And with a non-story party you would be locked out of the side dungeon added for the remake (this got thankfully changed in EO2U).

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

In regards to monster loot, any reason not to just bulk sell everything after each trip back to town?

Love that canada aparently exists in this universe. :allears:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Avalerion posted:

In regards to monster loot, any reason not to just bulk sell everything after each trip back to town?

Make sure you're not selling any items you need to turn in for quests. The games will remind you of this, but unfortunately, in all of the ones before EO2U, items that you need for quests are not marked in the Sell screen, so you just have to remember which ones you need.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fortunately quests basically always ask for items from areas and enemies further along than when the quest is unlocked. So as long as you're checking in before selling each time you're in town, it's unlikely you'll accidentally sell something you're gonna regret.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Regy Rusty posted:

Fortunately quests basically always ask for items from areas and enemies further along than when the quest is unlocked. So as long as you're checking in before selling each time you're in town, it's unlikely you'll accidentally sell something you're gonna regret.

Except when they don't, which of one the places these games show absolutely awful game design.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Second floor is already giving me trouble - keep running out of TP about halfway through. Is the gameplay loop here coming back to level up until I push through?

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Grinding is not really necessary in the 3DS games - unless you want to take on the final post-game boss where more levels can be very helpful. But that's at the very, very end of the game.

The second floor has a shortcut about halfway through that leads back to the entrance of the floor. Once that is opened from the back you can use it in both directions. Iirc in the 1st stratum of EOU shortcuts are marked by yellow flowers on the wall.
Getting into the labyrinth, using up your TP to push towards the next shortcut and threading out is basically the core gameplay loop.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Avalerion posted:

Love that canada aparently exists in this universe. :allears:

Canada sure does exist in this universe. :ssh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Typically it's just about pushing through the labyrinth as much as you can before you have to return to town. Or if you're a more cautious player, returning to town every so often. No need to stay in one place to grind, just making the attempt to push forward is enough. Do be on the lookout for shortcuts though, they can make trips through the floors easier. Or map out the entire floor to get access to floor jump and you can skip floors you have completed a decent chunk of with that.

Do not be afraid of spending TP. It's how things are supposed to go. You won't be able to deal with your enemies in a timely manner if you don't use skills. You'll be seeing empty TP pools fairly frequently early on.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I didn't realize the shortcuts become two way, that's certainly going to be a game changer. :aaa:

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Not all are 2 way, but the game usually tells you though if it's one way before you go through with a message like "you will be unable to return"

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
I've been meaning to try an EO game for a while and finally bit the bullet with 4 being on sale. I'm not far in (only b2f of first forest place) but i like it so far. quick q - since this is an Atlus game and I'm used to SMT, are players expected to switch out party members often? I wanted to keep things basic with my team until I had a handle on what the flow was like and went Landsknecht, Fortress, Medic, RuneMaster, and Dancer.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

No. In fact, you will make the games much slower for yourself if you switch characters frequently, because you are expected tostick with one party the whole way through. The game does offer a few catch up stuff in case you want to swap out party members later, but those are very limited.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Metroixer posted:

I've been meaning to try an EO game for a while and finally bit the bullet with 4 being on sale. I'm not far in (only b2f of first forest place) but i like it so far. quick q - since this is an Atlus game and I'm used to SMT, are players expected to switch out party members often? I wanted to keep things basic with my team until I had a handle on what the flow was like and went Landsknecht, Fortress, Medic, RuneMaster, and Dancer.

Nope. The game's pretty much built around making a party at the start, and only swapping people out if you feel like their class really isn't working.

The only exception is when you get the unlockable classes. Unlike the previous games, EO4 gives you items that'll instantly level a new party member to a given point to facilitate trying out the unlockable classes as soon as you get them.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The good news is I don't think you can go wrong with any party made from 5 different classes from the starting pool of 7 classes. I prefer 3 front row-focused members with 2 backliners myself because it spreads the damage around more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
By the end-game, I make one of everything and level to max. Except for EO2U, where I had two Alchemists.