Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gripweed posted:

You were right. It did briefly pick up for me in that one episode where Luke was finally a Hero for Hire, the thing they've been promising since the beginning. But then he hosed it up and got his client killed.

How did you not like episode 10? Everyone liked episode 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SonicRulez posted:

How did you not like episode 10? Everyone liked episode 10

It was cool to have Power Man & Iron Fist, but by that point I was just tired of the show. I had given up hope of Tilda ever becoming interesting, I was profoundly tired of Mariah's bullshit, Luke had reconciled with his dad so that emotional arc was over, and how often they had teased Hero for Hire only to do it for one episode and then abandon it had left a bad taste in my mouth.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Sabrina is garbage but salvageable, I think. I haven't finished it but..

I love Zelda, I like Ambrose. I love all the Satanic connections and how they leaned in there.

I don't like a black girl calling a white girl a "mutt" & "half breed" and being psuedo-lynched. They should have done a stake burning instead if they really wanted that storyline to be less cringey and awful.

Her mortal friends (& the Trio) are sooo one dimensional and while I realize this is Sabrina's story, it should still feel like like she's interacting with real people.

Sabrina herself is hypercompentant, overconfident and I wish it showed more of her struggling and failing. It would be one thing if the story actually treated these as character flaws, but it doesn't..

I hate to compare the two, but Buffy did this so much better, even when she was unlikeable and wrong you root for her. Sabrina zapped away Harvey's memory and it's NBD, no ethical dilemma. She worries for two seconds he might remember and she'll get caught but it just makes her so self centered and unlikeable. She never thinks about his feelings at all and the narrative seems ok with
that?? I think part of of this is the actress/direction. There's nothing endearing about her. They should've just replaced her when they found out she was allergic to the cat tbh.

And I know this is just nostalgia and whatever but I do miss sassy Salem. Or any Salem. I like when he gets to save her but it feels too Deus ex sometimes.

Also omg the lens filters and bloom effects are too much sometimes. It seems like they're going for a signature cinematography style but it seems so gimmicky and just falls flat for me. Those effects work better sparingly and with careful deliberate choices imo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I agree with the last point, that stuff was more distracting than anything else, because it kept reminding me of the process of filming the show.

Many of your criticisms are addressed by the end of the season and for some of the others.... I mean it's a CW-audience-targeting show, there are certain things you just have to be ok with going in.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

First Elseworld's promo in case anyone missed it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG5zZtqBqXM

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The trailers for Deadly Class look so good. I hope it is 1/100th as good as the comics.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Koalas Massacre posted:

First Elseworld's promo in case anyone missed it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG5zZtqBqXM

Amel's "WTF?" expression is pretty fantastic in that.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Djarum posted:

The trailers for Deadly Class look so good. I hope it is 1/100th as good as the comics.

I saw the pilot at LACC a couple weeks ago. It was entertaining and seemed to be a pretty beat for beat adaptation of the first issue or so (it's been a few years since I read it tho). There's not enough Henry Rollins in it the first episode.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I started Iron Fist S2, and I think I missed some dialogue or forgot something from the first season or Defenders or something. Why is Danny Rand working as a delivery man? He was still a millionaire in Luke Cage, and the lady from S1 who is apparently evil now wanted to buy his stake of Rand Industries. So what's the deal?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He's trying to live humbly.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arist posted:

He's trying to live humbly.

So he's a millionaire LARPing as a normal person. I suppose it's good that they're continuing his characterization from the first person as being just a complete shithead

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
IF2 was not great but Misty and Colleen are the best so it's very worth watching.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Doesn't Danny literally explain why he's working as a delivery guy in that first episode

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Doesn't Danny literally explain why he's working as a delivery guy in that first episode

It might be the second one.

Oh Ward is also awesome.

Gimmie a Daughters of the Dragon series and Ward is like, Charlie.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Koalas Massacre posted:

Sabrina is garbage but salvageable, I think. I haven't finished it but..

I love Zelda, I like Ambrose. I love all the Satanic connections and how they leaned in there.

I don't like a black girl calling a white girl a "mutt" & "half breed" and being psuedo-lynched. They should have done a stake burning instead if they really wanted that storyline to be less cringey and awful.

Her mortal friends (& the Trio) are sooo one dimensional and while I realize this is Sabrina's story, it should still feel like like she's interacting with real people.

Sabrina herself is hypercompentant, overconfident and I wish it showed more of her struggling and failing. It would be one thing if the story actually treated these as character flaws, but it doesn't..

I hate to compare the two, but Buffy did this so much better, even when she was unlikeable and wrong you root for her. Sabrina zapped away Harvey's memory and it's NBD, no ethical dilemma. She worries for two seconds he might remember and she'll get caught but it just makes her so self centered and unlikeable. She never thinks about his feelings at all and the narrative seems ok with
that?? I think part of of this is the actress/direction. There's nothing endearing about her. They should've just replaced her when they found out she was allergic to the cat tbh.

And I know this is just nostalgia and whatever but I do miss sassy Salem. Or any Salem. I like when he gets to save her but it feels too Deus ex sometimes.

Also omg the lens filters and bloom effects are too much sometimes. It seems like they're going for a signature cinematography style but it seems so gimmicky and just falls flat for me. Those effects work better sparingly and with careful deliberate choices imo

Sabrina (the show) definitely gets better in the second half and I agree with most of your criticisms. The thing about her being hyper competent is addressed and making her so precocious in the first few episodes was done on purpose.
As with the other characters, I agree that they witch characters are far more interesting than the humans, who come across as bland and boring. It kind of goes down with the jarring tone of the show as well, where you have the witch stuff camped up to extreme levels, where the more human stuff just seems dull by comparison.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gripweed posted:

So he's a millionaire LARPing as a normal person. I suppose it's good that they're continuing his characterization from the first person as being just a complete shithead

Should he ride in expensive cars and live in a mansion? Would that improve his character? It's not like he starts complaining about his taxes at any point.

Give it a chance, IF2 was pretty good

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Danny's cameo in Luke Cage explains it too. He says he doesn't even live off his money. I don't know if he specifically says he is working, but he talks about trying to live humbly.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

notthegoatseguy posted:

Danny's cameo in Luke Cage explains it too. He says he doesn't even live off his money. I don't know if he specifically says he is working, but he talks about trying to live humbly.

Yeah but Danny was lying, he's not living off the money he gets from the delivery job. He lives in a big two story building in New York City that he owns outright. A building that he bought on a whim in an attempt to get a date. And if anything comes up he can just solve problems with his massive inherited wealth. Danny getting a regular job and pretending that he lives on those wages isn't living humbling, it's just LARPing.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
i’m not hip to Iron Fist, how do the comics handle it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HIJK posted:

i’m not hip to Iron Fist, how do the comics handle it?

Handle him being a billionaire? In the Fraction series he started giving his money away to nobel causes but he was still a billionaire.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

This show takes itself way too seriously while having the line "I hung up my katana for a reason!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

This show takes itself way too seriously while having the line "I hung up my katana for a reason!"

It's a bad show.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Rhyno posted:

It's a bad show.

In fairness, I'm not even halfway into the second season and it's already a massive improvement on the first season. Mainly because it finally occurred to them that their magic kung fu show should have some magic kung fu in it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

In fairness, I'm not even halfway into the second season and it's already a massive improvement on the first season. Mainly because it finally occurred to them that their magic kung fu show should have some magic kung fu in it.

No dragon.Show is bad.

Also Davos is loving awful.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Colleen literally sighed as she drew her katana.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Handle him being a billionaire? In the Fraction series he started giving his money away to nobel causes but he was still a billionaire.

The show can't hold a candle to the Fraction run. Which is what they should have adapted.

Rhyno posted:

It's a bad show.

Also this.

Rhyno posted:

No dragon.Show is bad.

Also Davos is loving awful.

And this.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Counterpoint: It's a really good show and Colleen and Misty are awesome. Davos is fine. The Meachum children both try really hard for inexplicable reasons. Even Finn Jones has gotten better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

Counterpoint: It's a really good show and Colleen and Misty are awesome. Davos is fine. The Meachum children both try really hard for inexplicable reasons. Even Finn Jones has gotten better.

Counterpoint: your opinion is bad and the show was cancelled so clearly I have won this grudge match.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The show is fine and you're being really annoying about it for no reason

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Joy could've been great if her story matched how they presented her as a character. Joy is a child of millionaires who grew up in crazy wealth and never worked for anything in her life, and then swore revenge on Danny after he committed the unpardonable crime of exposing her family's dirty laundry. Great, that is a solid character, potentially. But the actress and the show present her as basically a normal, nice person. She should be a loathsome "Can I speak to your manager?" kind of person.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Arist posted:

The show is fine and you're being really annoying about it for no reason

Rhyno? Annoying? No!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Rhyno? Annoying? No!

Shhhhh, just go with it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I mean, idk how far you are in IF S2, but Joy is working with Davos to try and get him to murder her childhood friend. I'm not calling that nice and normal.

Rhyno posted:

Counterpoint: your opinion is bad and the show was cancelled so clearly I have won this grudge match.

Luke Cage got cancelled and if you tell me that show was bad, I will fight you, sir.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

SonicRulez posted:

I mean, idk how far you are in IF S2, but Joy is working with Davos to try and get him to murder her childhood friend. I'm not calling that nice and normal.

She thinks Davos' plan is just to take the Iron Fist powers, not to kill Danny.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

Luke Cage got cancelled and if you tell me that show was bad, I will fight you, sir.

There were more bad episodes than good ones. Did you not watch the back half of season one? So much potential and they squander it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Diamondback is only in 6 episodes and there's a whole second season without him. Why are you so wrong? Who at Netflix hurt you?

Klungar posted:

She thinks Davos' plan is just to take the Iron Fist powers, not to kill Danny.

It seemed a lot more like she got cold feet after things started happening. Granted, it's been a few months since I saw it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
6 out of 14 is still bad. Bushmaster was not a good or compelling villain either.

You guys wanna defend Jessica's mom next?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Bushmaster was a good villain and comparing him to Jessica's mom is hilariously stupid

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I wouldn't count the cancellation as a point in your favor. The Mouse is rolling out Disney+ soon and they're obviously going to consolidate every property they have under one service, so sooner or later all the Netflix shows were/are going to get canned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The main villain of that season is Mariah who is both of those things. That's why the series keeps moving after Bushmaster is done and ends with Mariah. Bushmaster is pretty cool though. He's not like Kingpin or Thanos good, but he's pretty good.

Jessica Jones S2 was actually not good. You can have at that one.