Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Arivia posted:

You don't need a walkthrough necessarily, but cheat code-enabled hotkeys like "teleport to dungeon entrance" and "teleport to quest objective in dungeon" are game savers though.

The mark and recall spells are great in-game, canon-friendly cheats for almost that sort of thing.

One major thing that's being fixed, I believe, is that now, you're guaranteed to be able to finish a dungeon. The loot won't end up in an unreachable area.

Also, the addition of the vertical marker on the dungeon map is extremely helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Casimir Radon posted:

Ironic that Daggerfall Unity is close to completion since I think the decision to include support for it is what stalled XL Engine development so badly. If Lucius hadn't hosed off to try and integrate an entirely different engine than maybe he would have gotten farther before one of his many "real life challenges" got in the way. I look forward to playing it.

I finished F.E.A.R today. I had a good time, and the game still looks pretty good. I thought the phantoms Alma throws at you during the last sequence were pretty dumb. I'm playing through Extraction Point now.

They are indeed dumb, but at least the smg makes quick work of them

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I remember thinking one of the FEAR expansion packs was a lot better than the other but I can't remember which. Neither are as good as the original, mind.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The phantoms are so great. After an entire game of being mulched in about two seconds of sustained open fire from armed hive mind controlled clone soldiers, your final obstacle is literal ghosts. Are You Afraid Of The Dark ghosts. Goosebumps ghosts. Halloween decoration ghosts. They're so lovely and not scary that it is the perfect way to make the player feel like they've conquered their fears (their FEARs) and rampage through the last few chapters, when actually they have been cowering in fear of an 8 year old for the past 6 hours.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mordja posted:

I remember thinking one of the FEAR expansion packs was a lot better than the other but I can't remember which. Neither are as good as the original, mind.

iirc it was perseus mandate but its been several years since i played the expansions so i may be wrong

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

People like Extraction Point the most. Perseus Mandate was released by the time the engine was really showing its age. Second half is pretty decent, though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A few gripes:
The "Kung-Fu" feels completely tacked on. Like someone modded it in later.
Normal Replica soldiers shouldn't sometimes take 3 penetrator shots to the face before they go down.
Some of the building blocks seem pretty samey at times. I got Deja Vu several times because areas looked like areas I'd already been in.
Docks, warehouses, offices. And condemned buildings aren't particularly interesting areas. The most interesting environment in the game is ripped off largely from Akira.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wait is extraction point the one where you team back up with the still living fear team or the one where you're like a merc or whatever

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

site posted:

Wait is extraction point the one where you team back up with the still living fear team or the one where you're like a merc or whatever
Extraction Point is the one where you continue playing the Pointman immediately following the events of the original game.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

site posted:

Perseus Mandate is the one where you're part of a back-up F.E.A.R. team and you fight red eyed mercs.
e; There's one part where when you reach a door and a throwing knife whizzes past your head while a shadow hints at a guy behind you leaping up vertically like 20 feet out of sight. :jerkbag:

CJacobs posted:

The phantoms are so great. After an entire game of being mulched in about two seconds of sustained open fire from armed hive mind controlled clone soldiers, your final obstacle is literal ghosts. Are You Afraid Of The Dark ghosts. Goosebumps ghosts. Halloween decoration ghosts. They're so lovely and not scary that it is the perfect way to make the player feel like they've conquered their fears (their FEARs) and rampage through the last few chapters, when actually they have been cowering in fear of an 8 year old for the past 6 hours.

This guy gets it!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ah okay yeah I had them switched around

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

GUI posted:

People like Extraction Point the most. Perseus Mandate was released by the time the engine was really showing its age. Second half is pretty decent, though.

I remember there being a very distinct feeling of a drop in quality between EP and PM, regardless of age. Felt like a bad fan mod.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I remember playing and loving LOVING fear when it came out but I never played any of the sequels / dlc or even revisiting it since. Should I? If so, what? I know 2 and 3 are considered bad but, gently caress, I have such good memories of the original one.

In Daggerfall news it looks as though Daggerfall Unity is still a ways to go from completion so I'll wait for that release. Definitely going to play it, though, after the positive feedback from this thread. Thanks guys.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The first Fear is still incredibly fun and if you haven't played its expansions they're worth a go, even Perseus Mandate is still pretty fun. I tried 2 a while back and ehh, it just feels lame and generic.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think I remember being kinda annoyed that FEAR corpses persisted only sometimes. All games should at least have the option to never remove corpses, regardless of what PCs are capable of at the time. When I nail something to the wall, I expect it to stay there.

Not an FPS, but Nightmare Creatures on the N64 persisted corpses until you looked away from them, at which point they were replaced by a burst of squeaking rats fleeing in all directions. If you gotta vanish your corpses, make it interesting or make sense in the game world, dang it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

doctorfrog posted:

I think I remember being kinda annoyed that FEAR corpses persisted only sometimes. All games should at least have the option to never remove corpses, regardless of what PCs are capable of at the time. When I nail something to the wall, I expect it to stay there.

Not an FPS, but Nightmare Creatures on the N64 persisted corpses until you looked away from them, at which point they were replaced by a burst of squeaking rats fleeing in all directions. If you gotta vanish your corpses, make it interesting or make sense in the game world, dang it.

having rats eventually show up to eat corpses in dishonored was very cool

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I think Perseus Mandate is definitely worth a go. Honestly though, it and 2 are my favourites of the series.

doctorfrog posted:

I like that. One of the Quake 2 HD mods replaced the flies with little robo-flies that gibbed bodies with lasers, presumably to break down into its base components for reprocessing, which I thought was kinda neat.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Doom 3 had a flash of fire and ash consume the corpses, as if hell was reclaiming them (or so I always assumed). Nonetheless, it felt underwhelming to me even in 2004. I would have much rather preferred them sticking around long enough so that the occasional corpse might get mulched by explosions and gunfire--like Doom and Duke 3D and God intended.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I thought the gibbing in Doom 3 was cool until I realized that it was the same animations over and over, and there really weren't all that many of them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

fear 2 was okay enough for a playthrough. it's not super amazing but it scratches the old fps itch.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unfortunately FEAR 2 lands square in that era of gaming where your character cannot aim worth a god drat unless they're standing stock still or aiming down the sights, at which point they become perfectly accurate. Moving around even at walking pace makes you unable to hit the broad side of a hive mind clone ghost barn. This same trend nearly ruined Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, a game that is otherwise absolutely fantastic.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'd love FEAR 2's updated weapon models, mech combat segments, and level variety but with FEAR 1's everything else. I like FEAR 2 but the story is so whack and it ends on such a bland note it feels like it's not worth playing. Some of the pacing is off too. Feels like it takes far too long to finally get out of the underground lab in the early game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Doom 3 had a flash of fire and ash consume the corpses, as if hell was reclaiming them (or so I always assumed). Nonetheless, it felt underwhelming to me even in 2004. I would have much rather preferred them sticking around long enough so that the occasional corpse might get mulched by explosions and gunfire--like Doom and Duke 3D and God intended.

I don't think you can gib bodies in Doom /Doom 2. Definitely can in Duke, though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'd love FEAR 2's updated weapon models, mech combat segments, and level variety but with FEAR 1's everything else. I like FEAR 2 but the story is so whack and it ends on such a bland note it feels like it's not worth playing. Some of the pacing is off too. Feels like it takes far too long to finally get out of the underground lab in the early game.

Wait, FEAR 2 has a bland ending to you? The game that ends with you getting raped?

I mean the level design is bad, but I skip all cutscenes and I remember that ending.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't think you can gib bodies in Doom /Doom 2. Definitely can in Duke, though.

Bodies in Doom can only be squished by doors/crushers, not gibbed. You can't gib corpses in Quake, either.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
The level design in the first Prey was done that way because it was necessary in order for the AI to work.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Barudak posted:

Wait, FEAR 2 has a bland ending to you? The game that ends with you getting raped?

I mean the level design is bad, but I skip all cutscenes and I remember that ending.

I think they're referring to the lead-up to that part, because the last chapter or two doesn't have much combat and doesn't really feel like a climax (aside from the SNAKKEE FISSSST SSSsssSSSss turret segment that owns). The nuclear plant area is pretty light on shooting.

If you do enough damage in Doom you get a special splat sound and the enemy turns into mush, but that's about it. It's a real satisfying splat sound though!

edit: Fond memories of going nuts with a berserk power up on some poor unsuspecting zombiemen.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 12, 2018

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CJacobs posted:

If you do enough damage in Doom you get a special splat sound and the enemy turns into mush, but that's about it. It's a real satisfying splat sound though!
I believe he's talking about the ability to use explosions to splat monsters already lying dead on the ground. I don't think this was in any Id games before Quake 2, but it was common among the BUILD set.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, yeah, that makes more sense. I also have fond memories of smacking bodies with the crowbar in Half Life until they exploded into several skulls and leg bones and livers!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Oh, yeah, that makes more sense. I also have fond memories of smacking bodies with the crowbar in Half Life until they exploded into several skulls and leg bones and livers!

THWOPTHWOPTHWOPTHWOPTHWOPTHWOPCLANGCLANGCLANGCLANG

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Has anyone ever modded it so crates explode into various organs and bodies explode into helmets and stuff?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Either DOSBox, if it isn't bundled with it to begin with; or the aforementioned Daggerfall Unity if you want something a little more modern.

Anyhow, take a look here for other stuff you may want to download.

Cheers thank you!

Gonna give it a look with the Unity engine.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Casimir Radon posted:

Has anyone ever modded it so crates explode into various organs and bodies explode into helmets and stuff?

I also want a mod that increases the odds of this happening, as demonstrated in the back half of the video

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Barudak posted:

Yeah man. I don't really find the idea of putting all this time and effort into a piece of fiction only for my avatar to get raped and sealed away not having accomplished anything of note while the only other character who had any personality gets shot in the stomach and presumably bleed to death. The first game showed that you can have this interesting, grim as poo poo storyline with an actually exciting climax and resolution AND still have a "Gotcha!" final shot and keep everything very satisfying.

This is the same reason why I hate the endings to Far Cry 3, 4, and 5. Ubisoft is more interesting in being subversive rather than being interesting or satisfying because, I guess, "good" endings are for baby brained chumps?

No FPS ending is gonna be beat by the original Deus Ex anyway. All three are amazing and always make me sit back and grin. gently caress yeah, I just changed the fucken world. I understand that I'm pretty traditional when it comes to the resolution of storylines in games. I'm putting my trust in the designers to not make me make this face when I'm done giving them my 60 dollars and a dozen hours of my time:

Anyway that's your video game ending rant from me for today.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Oh yeah, you're right, you couldn't gib Doom 1/2 corpses after the fact. You could just kill them to different degrees.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Gobblecoque posted:

I remember there being a very distinct feeling of a drop in quality between EP and PM, regardless of age. Felt like a bad fan mod.

Honestly, I felt it was the other way around. To me Extraction Point felt like the bad fan mod, with several setpieces and scares straight-up copied from the original game, a lot of the unique ones having a distinctive feeling of the developers only barely having an idea what the gently caress they were doing, oversights in how the game controlled (infinitely slide-kicking was fun and useful for getting through vents faster. Being unable to pick up remotes or mines after I placed them was not), unbalanced difficulty (the game throws end-game Replica variants at you really early, to say nothing of that heavy motherfucker with the near-instant-kill rocket launcher in the subway), and its reliance on several sequences where you simply hold the line against waves of enemies. Perseus Mandate had the more polished feel - gameplay that played closer to the game's strengths, the annoying oversights fixed while the fun ones are left be, more unique setpieces that don't feel just slapped together in two hours (including an actual Delta Force vs. Replica fight you get to take part in), etc. The only bad fan-mod vibe I get is the existence of this super-secret private army that knows everything and has all the best toys.

I do agree with people saying PM shows the engine's age more than EP does though. I still haven't even finished Perseus Mandate because it flatly refuses to let me beat the last two or three levels; every time I try one of them fails to transition from the previous one properly or it breaks when I reload a checkpoint.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, REKKR's rough. I'm playing on the HMP-equivalent difficulty level and things sure escalate quickly.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mordja posted:

Man, REKKR's rough. I'm playing on the HMP-equivalent difficulty level and things sure escalate quickly.

Yeah, I didn’t like the difficulty curve much. For a lot of the first episode it also feels too short on ammo.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i got into the habit of chunking up smaller enemies with the axe just to stay topped off on basic ammo. not that it was strictly necessary, but it let me cool off on using other weapons for a little bit to stock back up without having to be actually forced to use the axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

THWOPTHWOPTHWOPTHWOPTHWOPTHWOPCLANGCLANGCLANGCLANG

What was it that made the crowbar basically act like a blender on corpses in HL?