Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Well, Sears already tapped out, so that's off the list. I'd say top 5 expected for me are:

1. JC Penny
2. Neiman -Marcus - Same problem that killed Toys R Us. Slight sales decline (5% in FY17) on top of nearly $5bn in debt to be serviced.
3. Pier1 - Almost a 10% drop in sales year-on-year and going to get hit hard by the tariffs.
4. Office Depot - Feds blocked their attempt to merge with Staples, and is trying to shift to business services because their retail arm is lagging.
5. Subway - This is kind of wishful thinking on my part, but they did cut ~1500 stores over the last two years and are struggling to find a new advertising campaign that is as effective as the pedophile who got fit to better chase kids.

No Barnes & Noble? :thunk: I'd think their being chained to physical storefronts with big overhead will bleed them out in the next few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Subway I think kind of hit the limit for how many of them can possibly exist. They're just kind of everywhere but the food is forgettable due to how aggressively mediocre it is. "This dude lost like a gently caress load of weight eating Subway!" only really worked because a lot of people want some kind of magic to losing weight. It worked for him because he, you know, walked there and then ate veggie subs. So they played it up as a "you'll lose weight eating our garbage!" and then, well, Jared is in jail now. That ad campaign was nonsense anyway because let's be honest, how many people go to Subway and get the veggie sub? I doubt they'll fold any time soon but that's a perfect case of "always exponentially more, all the time" hits limits.

I was going to put stores I knew into a list but apparently most of them are gone already. I was going to say "I haven't seen a Hills in a while" but they've long gone. The company that bought them is also long gone so welp. I figure K-Mart won't last much longer. Beyond that just like, who knows?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I figure K-Mart won't last much longer.

K-Mart is part of Sears Holdings, which just filed for bankruptcy and won't last much past the holiday season, if that.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I worked at Subway for a brief time and people would come in and say I’m eating here cause Jared did and it’s healthier. Then they proceed to buy a food long meatball sub with everything on it. Duuuuuuur.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Invalid Validation posted:

I worked at Subway for a brief time and people would come in and say I’m eating here cause Jared did and it’s healthier. Then they proceed to buy a food long meatball sub with everything on it. Duuuuuuur.

If you want to lose all faith in humanity work food service, like, at all.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Horseshoe theory posted:

No Barnes & Noble? :thunk: I'd think their being chained to physical storefronts with big overhead will bleed them out in the next few years.

I think they'll get through 2019, because they're pretty much the last major bookstore standing, and a lot of places don't have -anywhere- else you can go to buy books in person that isn't Walmart.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Isn't Subways entirely franchise-based? That should make it easier for them to survive with most of the losses technically being borne by the guys running the stores.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Fun note, you can totally lose weight eating Subway... because they use what is essentially 'diet meat'. At the start of the 2008 recession, they went to their suppliers and said 'how much water can we legally pack into this and still call it meat', and then started ordering that. Cheaper cold cuts for them, sneakily lower calorie counts on the menu.

Tastes like crap.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Randler posted:

Isn't Subways entirely franchise-based? That should make it easier for them to survive with most of the losses technically being borne by the guys running the stores.

Primarily, yes. One of the reasons that there are so many of them is that it's cheap as hell as far as franchises go to open a Subway. The company will be fine. Closing 1,500 stores sounds like a lot but I'm going to guess that a lot of those are stores somebody just didn't feel like running anymore, ones that weren't profitable enough/at all because there were too many too close to each other, or things like where the owner died and the kids didn't want to own a Subway. There are over 40,000 of them worldwide.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

How can Neiman Marcus be in trouble these are surely flying off the shelves?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Wait, is Neiman Marcus a men's only clothing store?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

MiddleOne posted:

There are some many misconceptions behind the "online retail is only x% of the entire retail market and therefore Amazon's dominance doesn't matter"-argument that I wouldn't even know where to start.

Yeah truly

Imagine a single entity controlling an entire retail mode

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Coldstone Creamery has got to be going bust soon. Quiznos and Coldstones both had a crazy high franchisee default rate, something like 30%. Quiznos went bankrupt 4 years ago but Coldstones is still trucking along for some reason.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Wasn't quiznos designed to fail though? Like some sort of bizarre vulture capital company involvement?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Subways open and close constantly, I think they give a franchise to anyone who can put a signature on the correct quadrant of the form.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

withak posted:

Subways open and close constantly, I think they give a franchise to anyone who can put a signature on the correct quadrant of the form.

The franchise is extremely cheap.

https://www.businessinsider.com/what-it-costs-to-open-a-subway-2015-3

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Wasn't quiznos designed to fail though? Like some sort of bizarre vulture capital company involvement?

What I remember is corporate owned the supply companies so when profits were down, corporate raised supply costs and squeezed the franchises out of business. That definitely sounds like a private equity move.

Giving me flashbacks. Company I worked for was bought by private equity company. Quarter goal would be 30% growth. We would get 28. Well PE wants their cut no matter what so there would be layoffs every quarter a goal was missed to give them their take, despite being highly profitable/healthy.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 11, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, compare to, say, Dairy Queen, who want the following:

Liquid capital required: $400,000
Net worth required: $750,000
Investment: $356,450 - $1,835,825
Franchise fee: $25,000
Units in operation: 5,700

You need to be worth three quarters of a million, and have almost half a million in liquid capital before they'll even talk to you.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

You need to be worth three quarters of a million, and have almost half a million in liquid capital before they'll even talk to you.

On the other hand, I've only seen one DQ go out of business.

In Yellowknife, NT, where they couldn't ever hope to pay what they wanted for staff and at the end wound up being illegaly staffed by preteens.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Not a lot of businesses make it in the Northwest Territories I don't imagine.

I remember driving into Whitehorse in the Yukon and it was like finding a bustling metropolis.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Oh, Yellowknife has shitloads of money from being the government hub and mines.

Just turns out that means you cant pay the 8 bucks minwage cause lol nobody was gonna accept that with what it cost to buy things there, let alone live there.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

StealthArcher posted:

On the other hand, I've only seen one DQ go out of business.

In Yellowknife, NT, where they couldn't ever hope to pay what they wanted for staff and at the end wound up being illegaly staffed by preteens.

I've seen a couple go here, but it was the owners refusing to make updates the company demanded, and losing their franchises.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Speaking of franchises

https://twitter.com/nataliekitro/status/1061695306121781248?s=21

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Liquid Communism posted:

I think they'll get through 2019, because they're pretty much the last major bookstore standing, and a lot of places don't have -anywhere- else you can go to buy books in person that isn't Walmart.
How's their partnership with starbucks working for them? It seems like a logical mutually-beneficial setup but I don't have the financial data to back that feeling.

I'd rather have local booksellers but I'll take a B&N over a barren illiterate wasteland.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Dq has to be able to survive the winter months so this is probably all good, like they exist in Minneapolis of all places so they're doing something right

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I work corporate at office Depot. You'll be waiting a while. We're declining but have healthy cash reserves that have been growing. With Q3 in, we already beat plan for free cash flow. We have a lot of inorganic growth, but our contract department finally had some organic growth last quarter which is important.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

mandatory lesbian posted:

Dq has to be able to survive the winter months so this is probably all good, like they exist in Minneapolis of all places so they're doing something right

I don't understand DQ's business logic. In like, the north they typically are an all icecream place and everything but mall locations closes in the winter, while in the south it seems to be a way more hamburger focused fast food place? Why would they not switch that? And have the hamburgers in the cold part of the country and stay open all year then have the icecream focused place in the hot parts of the country?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don't understand DQ's business logic. In like, the north they typically are an all icecream place and everything but mall locations closes in the winter, while in the south it seems to be a way more hamburger focused fast food place? Why would they not switch that? And have the hamburgers in the cold part of the country and stay open all year then have the icecream focused place in the hot parts of the country?

I live in the Northwest and I have never seen a DQ close outside of winter. Their tagline is "hot eats cool treats."

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I’ve heard Culvers reported that custard consumption is even throughout the year and not dependent on weather in Wisconsin.

I have seen really old DQ shack type places close for the winter but pretty rare to see in my region these days now.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DrNutt posted:

I live in the Northwest and I have never seen a DQ close outside of winter. Their tagline is "hot eats cool treats."

close outside of winter? Like you mean they do close in winter or don't close?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Aren't there two types of DQs? The one in my hometown only served frozen treats and closes in late September. In fact, I've never actually had any DQ food.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
As long as we are talking DQ, why do/did a lot of their locations have co-branding on their signage with something called Brazier?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Beastie posted:

Aren't there two types of DQs? The one in my hometown only served frozen treats and closes in late September. In fact, I've never actually had any DQ food.

Yeah, and both type seem to exist around but as far as I can tell the type that serves hamburgers dominates in warm climates and the type that only serves icecream and closes for winter is more in cold climates instead of the opposite that would actually make any sense at all.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

As long as we are talking DQ, why do/did a lot of their locations have co-branding on their signage with something called Brazier?

that just means that they also sell food. i think they're called grill and chills now

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
yeah iirc dq started out as frozen delicacies in the north, added food (brazier is just an old imprint denoting a reduced menu set)
and they let texas franchisees do their own thing, giving the separate texas menu.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, and both type seem to exist around but as far as I can tell the type that serves hamburgers dominates in warm climates and the type that only serves icecream and closes for winter is more in cold climates instead of the opposite that would actually make any sense at all.

Only a tiny minority of locations are the "Treat" variety with the limited menu. Even in the north; so the simple answer is your observation is simply wrong.

The reason the treat locations exist at all still is because they're dirt cheap to operate and require a tiny footprint so you can open almost anywhere. And you will definitely find more of em in the north than the south (tho the full menu stores dwarf the treat ones) because DQ started in the north and the treat only locations tend to be very old and often can't be converted due to lot size limitations or simply not enough business to justify it (especially since more than likely there are 3+ full menu locations in a 5 mile radius already).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In college we had a fat gay guy in our social group and one time he introduced himself as The Dairy Queen

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Dilber posted:

I work corporate at office Depot. You'll be waiting a while. We're declining but have healthy cash reserves that have been growing. With Q3 in, we already beat plan for free cash flow. We have a lot of inorganic growth, but our contract department finally had some organic growth last quarter which is important.

I worked in an OD store for 2 years or so in 2002/2003 - it was my last retail job - and I was amazed at how good of a job it was. It paid $12.00/hour then, 15 years ago, and I got actual, real vacation time. I heard a lot of that went away, but man, that was not a bad gig at all for closing out my last years in college.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

close outside of winter? Like you mean they do close in winter or don't close?

DQ In salisbury mass closes in the winter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I knew a dude that owned a summer-only dq. Worked 14/7 from memorial to Labor Day, then spent the rest of the year high as poo poo in Florida fishing all day.

He was very happy.