Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Megalobox looked good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Julias posted:

While it's not one of his more popular novels, Steinbeck's The Winter of our Discontent was pretty excellent, and the ending is kind of an interesting mix of both kinds of endings, / being open ended enough that you don't know if the protagonist is going to be able to survive and/or turn his life back around, but it's an interesting mix of optimism, desperation, hope, and doubt.
Agreed on Winter, though I was thinking of East of Eden when in the main character has explicitly failed at everything he set out to do despite his optimism, except for raising his second son to be a good person despite those hardships.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Endorph posted:

play shadow hearts

The first Shadow Hearts is the best-paced jrpg of all time and Covenant is extremely good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hell, watch a playthrough of koudelka or alternately play it if you want really slow but hilariously easily breakable rpg combat

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I had intended to watch Crybaby but I am not a Go Nagai fan *at all* and also knowing how it ends to start with just sapped any enthusiasm for watching it to begin with.

I enjoyed watching people fight about it though lol

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Devilman Crybaby was my first Go Nagai anything and I thought it was pretty good! After that, I decided to check out more of his work and with the Cutie Honey anime due to air shortly after I figured the manga would be a good start.

I'm now happy to just stick to Devilman Crybaby as my one Go Nagai thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Watch Re: Cutie Honey, it owns

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

Watch Re: Cutie Honey, it owns
That's the Gainax one which is just Anno letting Imaishi and a couple of other directors go buck-wild, right? Because yeah, that owns bones.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Go Nagai had ideas that other people went on to make good things out of.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CrashScreen posted:

Devilman Crybaby was my first Go Nagai anything and I thought it was pretty good! After that, I decided to check out more of his work and with the Cutie Honey anime due to air shortly after I figured the manga would be a good start.

I'm now happy to just stick to Devilman Crybaby as my one Go Nagai thing.

watch re:cutie honey because it's the good thing that came out of cutie honey, by not sticking close to the manga at all

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

sad for everyone that experienced nagai through the butchery that is crybaby, or that is incapable of understanding one of the few auteurs of the medium

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

thankfully the devilman manga exists and can be read by all

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Davincie posted:

one of the few auteurs of the medium

:thunk:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I like how the third episode of Re:Cutie Honey - the one Anno personally directed - throws out like 70 percent of the comedy from the first two episodes and basically just works the same themes as late-game Evangelion, but with lesbians and fanservice instead of a bi boy and abstract symbology

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

More information about the LeSean Thomas/Lakeith Stanfield Yasuke anime:

-Netflix
-Magic and mechs will be involved
-Flying Lotus score

https://pitchfork.com/news/flying-lotus-exec-producing-scoring-new-netflix-anime-starring-lakeith-stanfield/?mbid=social_twitter

quote:

While details are scarce, “Yasuke” revolves around “a retired ronin who must take up his sword when he is charged with the task of transporting a mysterious child who dark forces want to eliminate.”

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Shin Mazinger is another good Nagai tribute work.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

more info on the ikuhara show, that voice cast is real strong

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-11-11/kunihiko-ikuhara-sarazanmai-anime-reveals-story-summary-character-designs/.139344

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Waffleman_ posted:

More information about the LeSean Thomas/Lakeith Stanfield Yasuke anime:

quote:

While details are scarce, “Yasuke” revolves around “a retired ronin who must take up his sword when he is charged with the task of transporting a mysterious child who dark forces want to eliminate.”

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

officers, I've got some weed in my rear end

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
i hope all the boys kiss

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

i hope all the boys kiss

Buddy, vigorous anal fisting is literally part of the premise. I think we're beyond kissing here.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth Walrus posted:

Buddy, vigorous anal fisting is literally part of the premise. I think we're beyond kissing here.

that's really more of a second date activity

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:yeah:

e: The one thing I'd like to know is if the show is a 1 or 2 cour dealie. Neither ANN nor MAL seem to have the skinny on that, though.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 12, 2018

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/AnimeNewsNet/status/1061920804521283585

:woop:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Hooray for being patient and not reading what is almost certainly a phenomenally good manga, really dodged a bullet there.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

Hooray for being patient and not reading what is almost certainly a phenomenally good manga, really dodged a bullet there.

lol same

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Nate RFB posted:

I’m not the OP of that, but in my case I just don’t like reading manga on computer screens and there’s no official paper release, so congrats on being weirdly confrontational to those of us excited for this?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i think you're misreading the post

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
'tis nothing but some self-deprecation on my part.

Not sure how long I would've waited before I finally bit the bullet on reading it (even had the chapter bookmarked where S2 ended), but it was always in the back of my mind that "...but they could announce S3 any time!"

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
yeah it was basically "I can't read the manga because season 3 will surely come out and I need to watch it without knowing what happens!!!"

same reason I haven't read the haikyuu manga tbh

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Akanesasu Shoujo has basically become Stupid Gay Techno Persona at this point. I can't really call it a good show, but it's become quite satisfying in a very Junk Food sorta sense.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Hell yeah!

I think I'll have to rewatch the first two seasons though, it's been so long.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Splode posted:

Hell yeah!

Oh no, you poor thing.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Akanesasu Shoujo has basically become Stupid Gay Techno Persona at this point. I can't really call it a good show, but it's become quite satisfying in a very Junk Food sorta sense.

I can't believe how hard the last two episodes have been calling me out

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

The 3D models really work too for this effect (It also helps the 3D action is well planned out and shot)

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Splode posted:

Hell yeah!

Same here, I've watched the movies more recently but I definitely want to be able to fully enjoy this so a rewatch is in order.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Spiritus Nox posted:

It has been some spectacularly fun Dumb Anime, for sure. I love how silly it's letting itself get with character concepts like "what if we had doppelgangers from a spaghetti-western universe?" just being there as part of the main cast now.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

esselfortium posted:

It has been some spectacularly fun Dumb Anime, for sure. I love how silly it's letting itself get with character concepts like "what if we had doppelgangers from a spaghetti-western universe?" just being there as part of the main cast now.
Holy-- I need to watch this show, then!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

esselfortium posted:

To be fair, I don't think the doppleganger you're thinking of is from the western universe. The western universe one was just a bartender, the horny one seems to be from someplace else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Doing a relationship chart for Akanesasu shoujo sure would be interesting yes