Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I tried the Milwaukee M12 stubby impact on some wheel bolts, was not able to take them off (impact socket, wheels torqued to 150nm or so) despite a fully charged battery and a lot of trying. The gun is definitely nice and compact though. Just need an 18V Version with more power so I don’t have to use my huge one for wheel bolts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Frank Dillinger posted:

I tried the Milwaukee M12 stubby impact on some wheel bolts, was not able to take them off (impact socket, wheels torqued to 150nm or so) despite a fully charged battery and a lot of trying. The gun is definitely nice and compact though. Just need an 18V Version with more power so I don’t have to use my huge one for wheel bolts.

impact driver, or impact wrench? My m12 driver fails on most lug nuts, but the impact wrench has little problem.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Are you talking about the 1/4" impact? Because the 3/8" stubby is significantly more powerful and should be able to remove lug nuts.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
3/8 anvil impact wrench, didn’t budge the wheel bolts on even a Smart car. Lug nuts might go easier since they have a shorter overall length?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Look I just want a battery that will power a lawn mower, impact gun, chainsaw, toothbrush etc. I dont know why you guys are withholding information.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And no bigger than a pack of gum please.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Rhyno posted:

Look I just want a battery that will power a lawn mower, impact gun, chainsaw, toothbrush etc. I dont know why you guys are withholding information.

You joke, but someone should rig up a battery mount that lets you series/parallel up a stack of power tool batteries for bigger stuff.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
For a mower and impact wrench on the same battery you would need either DeWalt, Makita or Ryobi. DeWalt and Makita are "contractor grade" (ie good poo poo without spending $$$Festool$$$) Ryobi batteries dont last long. The general consensus in the DIY tool thread still says Milwaukee has a larger line of tools than Makita or DeWalt but I'm not certain if that is true today. Also, don't fall for DeWalt's 20V max advertising- everyone use the same number of 18650 cells inside for the same voltage only DeWalt chooses to use the fresh off the charger absolute max and round up more aggressively.

Frank Dillinger posted:

You joke, but someone should rig up a battery mount that lets you series/parallel up a stack of power tool batteries for bigger stuff.
The Makita and DeWalt mowers bot use 2 18/20V batteries. In my opinion, that means more poo poo to worry about or wear out and break. . . I want an electric mower as soon as my gas mower (which I abuse as much as possible, it's never had an oil change) dies but I couldn't justify reserving precious power tool batteries to mower duties, I want a separate battery and charger.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I will say I have a Hitachi 18v and I love it. I bought it years ago and it has been flawless. I've gone through 2 bulbs on the flashlight I use it so much. I've likely had it for 6-8 years now and the original batteries still work fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-DS18DSAL-18-Volt-Lithium-Flashlight/dp/B001N2NTEI

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

Frank Dillinger posted:

Makita did exactly that. They have a 36V line that is just two 18V batteries.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Crotch Fruit posted:

The Makita and DeWalt mowers bot use 2 18/20V batteries. In my opinion, that means more poo poo to worry about or wear out and break. . . I want an electric mower as soon as my gas mower (which I abuse as much as possible, it's never had an oil change) dies but I couldn't justify reserving precious power tool batteries to mower duties, I want a separate battery and charger.

I don't understand this comment, it's not like you can't use those batteries elsewhere, unless you literally only have 2 batteries and have to be doing DIY immediately before and after the lawn?

I have the Ryobi mower that uses 2 batteries or a cord, it's great honestly.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

How garbage are these new welders at Harbor Freight?

It's appealing to me on a number of levels:
  • AvE says learn stick welding first √
  • I'd like to migrate eventually to TIG √
  • ...but expect that a lot of what I would do as I learn is MIG √
  • It runs on 120v which I have now! and 240v, which I know is better, and would like to get to eventually √
I'm 99% sure it's too good to be true, but it'd be super cool if there was something like this available.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I think for that money you can buy a used Miller mig and have cash left over to buy gas and parts.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

always be closing posted:

I think for that money you can buy a used Miller mig and have cash left over to buy gas and parts.

A blue all in one box with gas/consumables for $700?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

I don't understand this comment, it's not like you can't use those batteries elsewhere, unless you literally only have 2 batteries and have to be doing DIY immediately before and after the lawn?

I have the Ryobi mower that uses 2 batteries or a cord, it's great honestly.
Your right that it would only prevent DIY immediately before or after mowing, but given that it still takes time to recharge batteries and I don't want my charger stored in my garage near my mower I personally wouldn't want my power tools and lawn tools using the same batteries. In addition, mowing is going to be hard on the batteries. Going from full charge to dead in less than an hour is hard on an battery, I simply doubt mower batteries will last as many charge cycles as tool batteries.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

FatCow posted:

I will say I have a Hitachi 18v and I love it. I bought it years ago and it has been flawless. I've gone through 2 bulbs on the flashlight I use it so much. I've likely had it for 6-8 years now and the original batteries still work fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-DS18DSAL-18-Volt-Lithium-Flashlight/dp/B001N2NTEI

bulbs... on a flash... light?? :confused:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crotch Fruit posted:

In addition, mowing is going to be hard on the batteries. Going from full charge to dead in less than an hour is hard on an battery, I simply doubt mower batteries will last as many charge cycles as tool batteries.

The shop tools get new batteries and the garden tools get the hand-me-downs.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Your right that it would only prevent DIY immediately before or after mowing, but given that it still takes time to recharge batteries and I don't want my charger stored in my garage near my mower I personally wouldn't want my power tools and lawn tools using the same batteries. In addition, mowing is going to be hard on the batteries. Going from full charge to dead in less than an hour is hard on an battery, I simply doubt mower batteries will last as many charge cycles as tool batteries.

Good points. My mower, charger, and tools are all in the same place so that hadn't occurred to me. I'm also a light enough user the extra wear doesn't worry me, I've only recently lost my first battery (from 2013).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also consider that over a long enough time you will collect extra chargers. I'm up to four Milwaukee chargers now - one rapid charge 18/12, one not-as-fast 18/12, one slow 18V, and one slow 12V.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

MRC48B posted:

bulbs... on a flash... light?? :confused:
You can get LED upgrade bulbs, they have more expensive (~$15) brighter bulbs available. The one catch is that an old fashioned light bulb kinda shines in every direction and uses the reflector to direct the light but the LEDs are more directed straight forward and won't use the reflector as much. I couldn't imagine this being a problem but it could potentially have a very different light pattern than using a regular bulb in your flash light. I upgraded my MX991 with an LED bulb and love it, I'm tempted to upgrade my 18v Makita Li-Ion flash light with an LED bulb but I would prefer to sell all my Makita gear instead since I like Milwaukee red better.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crotch Fruit posted:

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Mower goes in the garage battery charger goes on the shelf downstairs OK don't be weird about it

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
seconding the short life of Ryobi batteries... two 40V mower batteries dead in a year meanwhile the two 3 year old M18 Milwaukee batteries are still trucking along..
the ryobi 18v or whatever weed eater still works fine though.

First one had an intermittent internal open circuit(spotty spot weld), second one I haven't opened yet to see why, probably a bad cell. Regardless it's gonna get the electronics hacked and maybe converted into an autonomous mower cause gently caress buying another $150 battery for that pile of poo poo.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

cursedshitbox posted:

seconding the short life of Ryobi batteries... two 40V mower batteries dead in a year meanwhile the two 3 year old M18 Milwaukee batteries are still trucking along..
the ryobi 18v or whatever weed eater still works fine though.

First one had an intermittent internal open circuit(spotty spot weld), second one I haven't opened yet to see why, probably a bad cell. Regardless it's gonna get the electronics hacked and maybe converted into an autonomous mower cause gently caress buying another $150 battery for that pile of poo poo.

Wait, people are building robo mowers now? Tell me more!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Frank Dillinger posted:

They're not really new, my father bought one 10+ years ago. It's just a Roomba for your lawn really.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Vegetarian Roomba.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Frank Dillinger posted:

My wife works at a place that sells mostly commercial lawn equipment and they have an autonomous Honda that drives around the strip of grass between the parking lot and the road. It's adorable, and good advertising.

I would never try to build my own though. Too much liability.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

StormDrain posted:

Vegetarian Roomba.

Tell that to the stray cats the first generations ate.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That's a feature, not a bug

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

always be closing posted:

So that doesn’t cover stick or TIG, and it looks like their version costs $1600 new.

Anybody actually used these welders, or see any obvious clues in the listed specs?

If it’s clearly crap, I want to know, but “I prefer Miller” doesn’t really address that.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Rhyno posted:

They're not really new, my father bought one 10+ years ago. It's just a Roomba for your lawn really.

Yeah, but like, home brew/kit/DIY pet mulchers, not off the shelf gear.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/3ZihU6u.gifv

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Got a $400 settlement gift card. drat I spent too much money at HF.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Settlement?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Settlement?

The Harbor Freight class action lawsuit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh gently caress, I forgot about that. I also spent an unhealthy amount of cash there.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I really hope i signed up for that, because i have a HF box, side box, roller cart, etc all full of hf tools.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I got my gift card in the mail the other day. $140, not too bad.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok, I really like this design, quick-change hydraulic puller system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBc1Ba-0o9E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's the best bang for the buck mini compressor for roadside tire inflations?