Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

galenanorth posted:

Being able to verbally add "default setting" or "random variety" would fix this. In fact, if it works like social media, there'd also be "most popular variety within the past week/month/year/of all time" options and some interface where you could upvote and submit new replicator recipes for some variety. You'd put a dish into the replicator, tell the computer "submit new submarine sandwich recipe", and the computer would automatically filter out submissions that don't meet the base criteria for the variety of food. Somewhere there'd be a chef determined to get the title of best new original recipe of the year.

Computer, beef stroganoff. I'm feeling lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Computer, beef stroganoff. I'm feeling lucky.

The scary metal BDSM chair materializes with every iteration of "I'm feeling lucky."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Computer, one bowl of chili, no beans.

...recipe not found? What?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Computer, meat, one bag

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Computer, create a burrito so spicy it is capable of defeating Data's anus

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

simplefish posted:

See, I get the whole thing about "Computer, create an X capable of Y" and people's reactions to it.

But really, it's not that big a deal.

What did Moriaty actually get? Self awareness. Or, well, not that exactly, but the capacity to understand that he was a computer construct.

That was the difference between him before modification and Data: knowing the boundaries of the simulation. All the computer did was allow him to react to the Arch, unlike other characters.

It wasn't a guaranteed win (he lost, after all). But it was a matter of capability, not a matter of certainty as so many of these type of posts construe it.

It's even more amazing than that, because the computer apparently does have intent sensors. It read the real meaning of Geordi's request -- to make Data feel what it's like to have to play through a game like a normal person, to stumble along and be clueless and have to figure things out -- and concluded that doing so strictly within the confines of a Holmes-style narrative was impossible. So it leveled the playing field by giving Moriary the ability to literally think outside the box.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

HD DAD posted:

Computer, meat, one bag

Computer, one ugly bag of mostly water.

I'm feeling lucky.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*computer trills for a few moments; spits out a clone of Guy Fieri*

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gonz posted:

*computer trills for a few moments; spits out a clone of Guy Fieri*

No Guy would be long dead, the new host is Joran Fieri

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

simplefish posted:

See, I get the whole thing about "Computer, create an X capable of Y" and people's reactions to it.

But really, it's not that big a deal.

Computer, create a mod capable of banning simplefish. :smuggo:

(USER WAS PUT IN A TINY BOX ON SOMEONE'S TABLE FOR THIS POST)

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

My problem with SG1 was that, despite the odd episode where a member of the public might find out, or that they eventually clue in foreign governments, the show never really addresses the morality of what the US Air Force is doing. I used to imagine what the reaction would be if George Bush came out and announced that for years the US military had used an ancient wormhole to contact alien societies, had embroiled the entire Earth in a number of intergalactic wars and that the Earth had narrowly avoided invasion and/or destruction several times, all in complete secrecy and without even the knowledge, let alone the agreement of other countries.

I doubt it would go down well.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I want to go through the wormhole machine at Cheyenne Mountain.

Let me do it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Michelle Yeoh is apparently in talks for a spinoff about Empress Georgiou, presumably a Section 31 based show. :suicide:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Comrade Fakename posted:

My problem with SG1 was that, despite the odd episode where a member of the public might find out, or that they eventually clue in foreign governments, the show never really addresses the morality of what the US Air Force is doing. I used to imagine what the reaction would be if George Bush came out and announced that for years the US military had used an ancient wormhole to contact alien societies, had embroiled the entire Earth in a number of intergalactic wars and that the Earth had narrowly avoided invasion and/or destruction several times, all in complete secrecy and without even the knowledge, let alone the agreement of other countries.

I doubt it would go down well.

Sounds like something we would do tbh

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Michelle Yeoh is apparently in talks for a spinoff about Empress Georgiou, presumably a Section 31 based show. :suicide:

I know, it's so lame. They're throwing any old poo poo at the wall. They have no clue what Star Trek is about. They just want gritty espionage and guns galore.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Alan_Shore posted:

I know, it's so lame. They're throwing any old poo poo at the wall. They have no clue what Star Trek is about. They just want gritty espionage and guns galore.

I dunno, sounds about right to me:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hmm yes, a perfect equivalence that holds up to absolutely any scrutiny whatsoever

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

McSpanky posted:

Hmm yes, a perfect equivalence that holds up to absolutely any scrutiny whatsoever

Buddy, that's :thejoke:, you need to stop trekkin yourself so seriously

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

simplefish posted:

Buddy, that's :thejoke:, you need to stop trekkin yourself so seriously

Yes I should stop exposing myself to STD, it's infectious.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

McSpanky posted:

Yes I should stop exposing myself to STD, it's infectious.

I see what you did there. :wiggle:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Let's name our new show Star Trek Discovery!

What do they discover?

That war is... Bad?

loving PRINT IT!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s pretty telling that midway through the season they veered hard left away from the Klingon war and ignored it for as long as possible until the finale. And even then it amounted to “oh yeah, it’s over”.

Idk I’m probably a bad trekkie not immediately dismissing season 2 as flaming garbage months before it airs. Cautiously optimistic.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

HD DAD posted:

It’s pretty telling that midway through the season they veered hard left away from the Klingon war and ignored it for as long as possible until the finale. And even then it amounted to “oh yeah, it’s over”.

Idk I’m probably a bad trekkie not immediately dismissing season 2 as flaming garbage months before it airs. Cautiously optimistic.

Remember the promotional material saying "We're going to tell the origin of something in the Star Trek universe that's never been fleshed out before" and that turned out to be "Klingons like war?"

Good times.

And then they went into the Mirror Universe because "we did the thing/met the people the real shows did first but then we forgot and/or classified it so the continuity isn't hosed" worked out so well for Enterprise.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
season 1 of discovery owned and I'm sure season 2 will be even better now that introductions, setup and general season 1 growing pains is out of the way

also I'm really, really late but this this thread title is just absolutely perfect

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

HD DAD posted:

They'll lay on the fanservice thick and back off the grimdark poo poo just enough that certain people will point to this and post a bunch of shill articles about what a massive improvement it's all been and how the show has "really come into it's own" etc. Worst case scenario CBS actually listens to the hordes of chuds inhabiting every comment section and Star Trek continues it's march even further into thematically inappropriate right wing conservatism

I mean CBSomebody tried astroturfing at least one of the big sci fi reddits after the initial trailers dropped and tried pulling it from youtube because the reaction was so negative, I put nothing past the people behind any of this nonsense anymore

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

season 1 of discovery owned and I'm sure season 2 will be even better now that introductions, setup and general season 1 growing pains is out of the way

also I'm really, really late but this this thread title is just absolutely perfect

I'm not sure "Potatoes O'Dyin" will ever be beaten

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
A particularly erotic bag of mostly water

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The Bloop posted:

A particularly erotic bag beige of mostly water

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Calypso is the best thing DIS has done, and probably the best thing to come out of Trek since probably ‘99.

Shame it’s only a one-off written by someone not working on the show proper.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What is it

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's one of the 'Short Treks' episodes that are like 15 minutes long or something that are only available in the US because Netflix didn't want them.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah but what is it and what is it good. I know the premise someone wakes up 1000 years in the future, just spoil that poo poo cause I ain't ever gonna watch anything in AllAccess

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yeah but what is it and what is it good. I know the premise someone wakes up 1000 years in the future, just spoil that poo poo cause I ain't ever gonna watch anything in AllAccess

Aight so the Discovery has apparently been abandoned for 1000 years, with the final order to the ship’s computer being to wait for the crew to return, which they obviously never did. During this, the ship’s AI evolved to a point where it has some kind of emergent consciousness (and it’s a lady!). An injured dude in an escape pod flies by, which Discovery catches in a tractor beam and brings in. Turns out, he’s human, and they’re at war with a galactic superpower called the V’draysh. Dude hasn’t seen his family in 10 years since he’s been soldiering around, and is desperate to get back to his planet of Alcor IV to see them again. He and the ship’s lady AI bond over their mutual loneliness, culminating in a really well-done scene where, as thanks for taking care of him, he helps her create an avatar for herself and re-enacts a dance scene from her favorite musical with her. There’s some romantic tension there, but they both realize he needs to go home to his family. She preps a shuttle and sends him off, ending with the AI replaying the dance between herself and the dude on the bridge in remembrance.

The writer has since confirmed that the V’draysh is a corruption of the word “Federation”, implying something happened in the interim millennium where poo poo went sour.

e: essentially it’s just a story about two people being really kind to each other, and it’s just nice.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 12, 2018

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It's a really nice play on the myth of Calypso from the Odyssey. And it's way better than DS9's take on Brigadoon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The interpersonal story is nice, but... did the writer really have to say "oh btw the Federation turns evil."

Christ on a cracker Discovery couldn't miss the point of Trek harder if they'd made the whole crew Section 31 operatives.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

HD DAD posted:

Shame it’s only a one-off written by someone not working on the show proper.

He's not working on Discovery, but he's the head writer for the Picard show.

Cythereal posted:

The interpersonal story is nice, but... did the writer really have to say "oh btw the Federation turns evil."

Christ on a cracker Discovery couldn't miss the point of Trek harder if they'd made the whole crew Section 31 operatives.

He... didn't? The Federation being at war does not mean that the Federation turned evil. In fact, we have even seen the Federation be at war without being the bad guys.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It doesn't, but I'd rate it at like a 90% chance it will with the current writers. I'm sure we'll find out, the basic premise of Calypso feels like it's setting up some kind of time travel to the future plot.

There was a big Reddit post today of people discovering the old Federation cartoon concept with a Federation in decline and most of the posters loving the concept of the broken utopia and a 'realistic' fallen setting and it just reminded me of what I bet the current writing staff thinks is good.

Maybe I'm just even more pessimistic after the news of the proposed Empress Georgiou Section 31 show.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 12, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The idea of humans and allies REFORGING the federation is a good one but not a show about living in the broken federation

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah, the federation is gonna die, that's how people think these days. Nothing gold can stay, every organization falls to corruption, what is good for the many eliminates individuality, all that bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The idea of humans and allies REFORGING the federation is a good one but not a show about living in the broken federation

On the Starship Andromeda, hope.... lives again.