Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Who thought this recount was proceeding too well/orderly and needed a little...something more to make it Truly Florida-Man worthy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The North Koreans will continue forward if there is no actual deal on the table.

They clearly aren't going to freeze their program on faith alone.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

OAquinas posted:

Who thought this recount was proceeding too well/orderly and needed a little...something more to make it Truly Florida-Man worthy?
I had made a joke about that the other day, but apparently if anything develops it will get picked up by a front and taken away

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

It will never be considered by the Senate.

My guess is Mitch McConnell never even acknowledges the house passed a single piece of legislation outside of bills to fund the government, because it would hurt Republicans to appear to be the reason for a shutdown.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

It will never be considered by the Senate.

My guess is Mitch McConnell never even acknowledges the house passed a single piece of legislation outside of bills to fund the government, because it would hurt Republicans to appear to be the reason for a shutdown.

If you read the story, it says that outright. The point is to be on the record saying "Look, we're trying to reform voting and expand your rights, but the Republicans won't even give it an up or down vote."

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

If you read the story, it says that outright. The point is to be on the record saying "Look, we're trying to reform voting and expand your rights, but the Republicans won't even give it an up or down vote."

That literally did help the Republicans in 2016 with their base, so who knows? Maybe it gets people motivated for 2020.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/MuslimIQ/status/1061429172483092481?s=19

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

That literally did help the Republicans in 2016 with their base, so who knows? Maybe it gets people motivated for 2020.

There is a certain asymmetry for the two parties where Republicans aren't necessarily unhappy when the government doesn't do anything, but Democrats tend to be unhappy. But the point of the bill is probably as ammunition to rile up the Dem's own base.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

Having bills written, passed by the House, and blocked by Republicans gives you something tangible to point to about "yes, we will actually do this if you give us power, and Republicans are indeed opposed to this."

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/chemishalev/status/1061997607516561409?s=21

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

Having bills written, passed by the House, and blocked by Republicans gives you something tangible to point to about "yes, we will actually do this if you give us power, and Republicans are indeed opposed to this."

Repeal and replace of the ACA is a great example of this :v:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

It’s extremely cool and good that most of the Democratic Senate leadership and prospective presidential candidates oppose BDS and support criminalizing it in the face of poo poo like this!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

It’s extremely cool and good that most of the Democratic Senate leadership and prospective presidential candidates oppose BDS and support criminalizing it in the face of poo poo like this!

I suspect that's going to start going away. Israel for a long time has benefited by being an area of bipartisan agreement (or more accurately, that support for Israel wasn't a partisan issue where Republicans were on one side and Democrats were on the other; there was substantially more dispute within the Democratic party/coalition regarding support for Israel). I think that was always going to start getting more polarized, but Netenyahu basically took a sledgehammer to that by explicitly and openly becoming a Republican partisan. That killed off a lot of the support for Israel within the Democratic party, but the full consequences of that haven't yet rippled all the way through the Democratic party system. It's going to though, and I think in a decade or so Israel's going to look back on it as one of their biggest geopolitical mistakes once that fully takes effect.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I find it infuriating that the implication that finding “thousands of democrat ballots” is bad because it’s votes for democrats and not bad because “thousands of votes for democrats where lost/suppressed and are now just being found/counted.”

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Aahaha you could mine that irony

trump_stairs.mp4

https://mobile.twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1061992194951860224

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm shocked that once again the things that the true experts said would happen did indeed happen.

Just can't handle all of this winning.

Just another Lone Wolf, who can guess what motivated him?

ratbert90 posted:

I find it infuriating that the implication that finding “thousands of democrat ballots” is bad because it’s votes for democrats and not bad because “thousands of votes for democrats where lost/suppressed and are now just being found/counted.”

"Vote Fraud" has *always* been about people voting the wrong way (oftentimes for Democrats). See also the old canard of 'dead people voting Democratic' that still gets tossed around.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1062005636488142848

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

It is an utter embarrasment, getting played by the North Koreans while simultaneously dismantling an Iranian deal that was working. Why bother dealing in good faith with the US if we're going to renege on the good plans and get fooled by the bad deals?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It is an utter embarrasment, getting played by the North Koreans while simultaneously dismantling an Iranian deal that was working. Why bother dealing in good faith with the US if we're going to renege on the good plans and get fooled by the bad deals?

By shooting ourselves in the foot repeatedly, we have shown the world that we are strong as hell, and we're so strong that we don't even need to be able to walk.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

evilweasel posted:

I suspect that's going to start going away. Israel for a long time has benefited by being an area of bipartisan agreement (or more accurately, that support for Israel wasn't a partisan issue where Republicans were on one side and Democrats were on the other; there was substantially more dispute within the Democratic party/coalition regarding support for Israel). I think that was always going to start getting more polarized, but Netenyahu basically took a sledgehammer to that by explicitly and openly becoming a Republican partisan. That killed off a lot of the support for Israel within the Democratic party, but the full consequences of that haven't yet rippled all the way through the Democratic party system. It's going to though, and I think in a decade or so Israel's going to look back on it as one of their biggest geopolitical mistakes once that fully takes effect.

This seems optimistic. Pro-Israel organizations remain important Democratic fundraisers. Netanyahu will be gone some day, they will not.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/elizashapiro/status/1061990224073498630?s=19

It's nice that there's a small amount of good news these days

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/srl/status/1061967799025852417

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 12, 2018

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Looks like we're going to be hearing the phrase "Presidential Harrassment" non stop for I guess 2 years then.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

here's an article on the chinese labour corps, and their contribution to WW1: https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/long-reads/article/2172435/chinese-labour-corps-first-world-wars-forgotten

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

knox_harrington posted:

Looks like we're going to be hearing the phrase "Presidential Harrassment" non stop for I guess 2 years then.

it's a hilarious phrase that is transparently trying to coopt the term sexual harassment and the more they use it the better

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Zwabu posted:

Hey Fancy,

I did door knocking for Beto, first time for any candidate, this year, and the huge majority of the people with me this year were all first timers as well.

Maybe there will be a separate thread for it a year from now as we get into the 2020 stretch, or maybe there already is (?), but I would appreciate any advice or guidance on best ways to approach talking to people about their choice, I didn't really do much in the way of engaging the few supposed undecideds we encountered nor did my partner. I realize even if you don't the simple act of getting the data and making a vote plan with the supporters you find is valuable, but assuming I get involved with this earlier for 2020 it will be more important when knocking earlier in the cycle or doing registration drives.

I guess what I'm interested in is samples of the type of conversations, both good ones and unproductive ones, that you have had in doing the ground work either on foot or on the phone.

As I tell everyone who gets into direct campaigning: Welcome To Democracy!™ :)

So, the caveat here is that I'm a straight white male. Annoyingly large amounts of people are going to talk to me about certain issues differently than they'd talk to my teammates, who go all over the gender/race/sexuality spectrum. But they talk to me regardless.

There's two types of undecided people in the world - people who care but don't know, and people who don't care at all. The second type of person is a really tough out, and I tend to leave them be more often as not. When it's a young person who doesn't care, and references South Park as they so often do, I make it fairly clear to them what could be at stake. 2016, for instance. I'm out in the sticks and the guy says it doesn't matter who's president. I point out that if we're talking about apocalyptic scenarios, I would have less to worry about. Say the bomb drops on DC, right? I live in DC. I'm a shadow on the wall. I have time to say "welp;" and that's me atomized. He's living out in the sticks, though. He gets the radiation cloud. He gets to live to death. If that sounds attractive to him, yeah, put on the movies and sit it out. (The fact that that got a registration card filled out still blows my mind a bit.)

But if you're a true undecided in this climate, you're quite a breed. And they might not know how to turn What They Want into How They Vote. I tend to go with a simple question: "If you were given a chance to change this country in one way, just one way, and it would automatically be implemented that day, that hour, what would you change?" The answers I've gotten are endlessly fascinating. Education based answers, tax based answers, melt all the guns, give a gun to every American, trains to everywhere, cars to everywhere, so on and so on. Most people don't have transformative dreams for their lives, surprisingly; most folks want to go to a job, get a decent day's pay, keep the roof intact and the mouths fed, have a little left over to go out and enjoy themselves. Danica Roem here in VA ran on that - growing up, she was stuck in traffic on one of the major highways every day. Now she's an adult and still stuck in that same traffic.

If you're stumping for state/local candidates, it always comes back to travel, I've noticed. And since you're usually canvassing all over creation, you can talk about the roads you took to get to that person. The traffic, the tolls, the disrepair, whatever you notice. Give people a reason to vent. They'll inevitably vent about whatever the news and the feeds have in our heads - I swear to you, I have enough relevant experience to take a job as a therapist after this year - and they'll talk about it. And I can't stress this enough: allow yourself the possibility that they'll surprise you. I had an NRA backer out in the woods last year, and he talked about how he always voted local GOP because they hunted and he hunted. But I'd knocked on his door the day after the Vegas massacre. And you could tell the world had changed him. "Look, you don't need what that guy had to kill a deer. You need an automatic rifle to hunt, you need to go back to the range." He pledged to vote for a Latina immigrant, the GOP's challenger in that district.

People become undecided when they get a crossroads moment. And you may not be there for the epiphany, but you may catch them just before and just after. If you're looking to convince someone to chase that feeling and change their world with it, it has to be personal. Like I said earlier, it comes back to travel. It also comes back to that job security. If there's no work to be had, find that sweet spot in your area. In Virginia, it's bringing tech work into the area, but it's fixing roads too! And if you've got an outdoorsy type, you can nerd out like I do and talk about the Civilian Conservation Corps. Old New Deal program that built and maintained all our national parks, and it taught a generation how to camp and live with nature. You say that to the right person, and their eyes light up, because they remember their camping days, or they're thinking of their kids playing RDR2 instead of going outside. They can get brought into the movement on feelings. And once the feeling is accessed, that elusive loving hope, they're gonna want to know more. They'll want to feel it more. And that's how undecided becomes leaning.

A good conversation is one that makes them think about something, or look something up after you've left. If you leave even the slightest impression, they'll remember what side you were with. One last anecdote: so when I stump, I stump as a member of the labor movement. I went to a house this year and the lady who answered yelled to her tea-sipping friend, "Nah, it's just a Democrat! He thinks we're Democrats, but we're Republicans!" And I got into my feelings a bit on that. "Ma'am, I'm a labor man. I stump for working people. We talk to every candidate, and we see who holds true to working-class values. That means we've endorsed Republicans. We've endorsed Republicans in living memory. We've endorsed Republicans this decade, in fact. Am I stumping for all Democrats here? Yes I am. And that's because the Republicans who have office here have gone after people's retirement funds and pensions. They've gone after health care for the needy. They've blocked Medicaid expanding in your town. If they hadn't done that, I'd probably be unloading trucks at a stadium instead."

I don't know if I got through to her, but she offered me a bottle of water to make peace. So that's not nothing.

Anyway, if you wanna get into deeper dives, it might be worth having a direct-action deep-dive thread, for people like us who knock on doors. It might be a bit of a stretch for the direct-action threads here or in C-SPAM. But I hope that was helpful!

e: what on earth are we playing tug of war with my av AGAIN

Lightning Knight posted:

The State/Local thread here in D&D would be a great place to discuss how to get involved for the first time in things like that.

And it shall be done. Thanks LK!

Your Boy Fancy fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 12, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The State/Local thread here in D&D would be a great place to discuss how to get involved for the first time in things like that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Squalid posted:

This seems optimistic. Pro-Israel organizations remain important Democratic fundraisers. Netanyahu will be gone some day, they will not.

Netenyahu's open interference in favor of the Republican party is only about six years old. But I think you underestimate the absolute rage in a lot of parts of the Democratic party about what Netenyahu has been doing - parts of the Democratic party that used to support the pro-Israel consensus. Now it's sort of an issue of national sovereignty. Realignments take time, but I think people are (understandably) just looking at the past 40 years and assuming all will continue as normal, when I think that's no longer the case.

And many of those fundraisers will indeed be gone as well; heavy-handed intervention into American politics in favor of the Republican party is one of the things splitting off a number of American Jews from supporting Israel.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

evilweasel posted:

Schumer's trouble with this is that New York Jewish coalitions have been a major part of his power base for a long, long time. I don't think he's going to change regarding BDS, and it's gonna take retirement for him to be unseated.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that Chuck Schumer is the greatest impediment to his party's evolution and flourishing at this juncture. Nobody wants to follow a weak leader, and he's the weakest leader I've experienced.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

The most powerful human being alive crying about HARASSMENT SO BIGLY, SO UNFAIR is the perfect illustration of how the big tough Republican he-men umbermenchen are almost invariably huge cowards.

I mean we all knew this anyway, but Trump just keeps taking it to new extremes.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Schumer's trouble with this is that New York Jewish coalitions have been a major part of his power base for a long, long time. I don't think he's going to change regarding BDS, and it's gonna take retirement for him to be unseated.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that Chuck Schumer is the greatest impediment to his party's evolution and flourishing at this juncture. Nobody wants to follow a weak leader, and he's the weakest leader I've experienced.

Why IS he leader? I assume some combination of seniority and fundraising prowess?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hellblazer187 posted:

Why IS he leader? I assume some combination of seniority and fundraising prowess?

Yup

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

"Presidential harassment" makes me think of the president's sexual harrassment, so I don't think it will be a very effective phrase for me and those like me (college educated white men) but i'm probably not the platonic ideal of that particular group.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Tibalt posted:

"Presidential harassment" makes me think of the president's sexual harrassment, so I don't think it will be a very effective phrase for me and those like me (college educated white men) but i'm probably not the platonic ideal of that particular group.

It's loving brilliant. What could possibly be less presidential than having to invent a new term to describe your hurt feelings at people investigating your corruption?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/1061995429192261633

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I don't see him changing either, he'd either need to lose a primary or retire. But I expect the next Democratic presidential nominee to be considerably cooler on the Israel support and ultimately the President has far greater power over foreign affairs than the Senate Majority Leader. And in 2020, Chuck Schumer isn't going to be any sort of national leader, it'll be the 2020 dem nominee who will matter for inspiring voters.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1062003066675908609

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hellblazer187 posted:

Those, plus willingness to do the work (he'd been putting in the work needed for a long time); lack of Presidential ambitions (which really matters for all the circumstances where you have to be the bad guy); broad support in the caucus because he's sort of acceptable to everyone and is generally willing to work with people. Very little of what goes into someone being majority/minority leader is about having the right policy positions or being popular with the public.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

America deserves to burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

evilweasel posted:

Netenyahu's open interference in favor of the Republican party is only about six years old. But I think you underestimate the absolute rage in a lot of parts of the Democratic party about what Netenyahu has been doing - parts of the Democratic party that used to support the pro-Israel consensus. Now it's sort of an issue of national sovereignty. Realignments take time, but I think people are (understandably) just looking at the past 40 years and assuming all will continue as normal, when I think that's no longer the case.

And many of those fundraisers will indeed be gone as well; heavy-handed intervention into American politics in favor of the Republican party is one of the things splitting off a number of American Jews from supporting Israel.

On Twitter, a good example is David Simon, whose Twitter after the Pittsburgh shooting is a non-stop tirade against Bibi and his way of doing business. He does not mince words.