Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

derk posted:

screenshots don't do it justice. RDR2 in motion is a sight to be seen on the X

I imagine it is. Life without it still seems fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Conversation reminds me of concerns when the first screenshots of Mortal Kombat on Vita were released and it looks really low poly and bad. But then you got it in your hands and got a full-fledged locked 60fps fighting game on the real best console and having something that solid was great and made the asset quality stop mattering in a hurry.

We used our fireplace downstairs yesterday so I switched from Bonx RDR2 on my 4K TV to playing it on the downstairs 720p TV on my Xbox One S.

I'm a good chunk through Chapter 4 and it's really showing how little has evolved in the way missions are done compared to even GTA3. Get in your vehicle/horse that we teleported to where the mission needs it to be. Travel for several minutes listening to Rockstar's HBO-esque writing. Some combination of "kill the red dots on your map while not getting the grey/yellow dots killed" with red dots teleporting in when you cross certain invisible lines on the map, maybe interact with an object or two in heavily-scripted fashion. Optional: repeat the travel from step 1, just in the opposite direction. Rinse repeat until you see a list of the 3000+ names which made the 2018 version of gameplay mechanics old enough to drink.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

TheScott2K posted:

I imagine it is. Life without it still seems fine.

BUT IT'S SO MUCH MORE LIFELIKE! [Never goes outside to see people]

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

Conversation reminds me of concerns when the first screenshots of Mortal Kombat on Vita were released and it looks really low poly and bad. But then you got it in your hands and got a full-fledged locked 60fps fighting game on the real best console and having something that solid was great and made the asset quality stop mattering in a hurry.

We used our fireplace downstairs yesterday so I switched from Bonx RDR2 on my 4K TV to playing it on the downstairs 720p TV on my Xbox One S.

I'm a good chunk through Chapter 4 and it's really showing how little has evolved in the way missions are done compared to even GTA3. Get in your vehicle/horse that we teleported to where the mission needs it to be. Travel for several minutes listening to Rockstar's HBO-esque writing. Some combination of "kill the red dots on your map while not getting the grey/yellow dots killed" with red dots teleporting in when you cross certain invisible lines on the map, maybe interact with an object or two in heavily-scripted fashion. Optional: repeat the travel from step 1, just in the opposite direction. Rinse repeat until you see a list of the 3000+ names which made the 2018 version of gameplay mechanics old enough to drink.

Yeah they are innovating in areas that look good on the box and dont give a poo poo if action game fans are gagging at the in camp walk speed etc

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I still find myself being astounded by the level of detail in the clothing (especially the women's dresses) as well as the facial animations for the actors.

I was watching a cutscene at camp and the faces were so expressive it was unreal. It took me back to LA Noire and realize how much progress they've made since then.

My brother and I were talking about RDR2 and how he's struggling to have fun with it. It seems like there are menus on menus on menus with contextual buttons and hidden menus on top of that.

It's really kind of jarring but when the game works it's like being in movie. My best advice is to take the game slowly. Don't go sprinting through town. Don't go sprinting into the saloon. Don't expect to dash through the woods on a horse and not hit something.

It's way more enjoyable if you move at the speed the world does, slow.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Tried the new Game Pass game Thief of Thieves yesterday. Interesting premise however there are a couple of issues.

For a heist game I didn't feel like there were any kind of alternate ways of completing the mission other than the way they were expecting.

It's also pretty short. I understand it's an episodic thing but this can be done in about 30 minutes.

The final thing that annoys me. The achievements are worth 18 points each. I don't need that stress in my life.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
An underrated thing I appreciate about the Xbox One, especially compared to my PS4, is that I can eject a disc without turning the system on. Namaste.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BattleTech posted:

I was really hoping for some more OG Xbox BC news. It's been like 8 months since the last batch.

Same, it seems like Microsoft has already given up on this despite previous promises to be adding a lot of games to the OG library.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Honestly the S is fine.

The biggest difference is performance. Don't under any circumstances buy Battlefield V or Fallout 76 on the S. The system cant at all keep up with newer AAA games.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I said come in! posted:

The biggest difference is performance. Don't under any circumstances buy Battlefield V or Fallout 76 on the S. The system cant at all keep up with newer AAA games.

Really? I’m surprised Microsoft is accepting these games past their review process if they’re that unplayable on the older hardware.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Same, it seems like Microsoft has already given up on this despite previous promises to be adding a lot of games to the OG library.

I agree, but it gave me Breakdown and Panzer Dragoon Orta so mission accomplished.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Evis posted:

Really? I’m surprised Microsoft is accepting these games past their review process if they’re that unplayable on the older hardware.
They're playable in the same way that games on the Switch run at 700p at 25fps.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Evis posted:

Depends on how tolerant you are of certain things. Saints Row IV had some sad performance on the PS3 and 360 and you didn't have a PS3 Pro or 360X to mitigate that, your only choice then was a PC. So did some of the 2013/2014 multiplats, but really if you were desperate enough they weren't that bad (e.g. Dragon Age: Inquisition), and plenty of games run just fine on the classic consoles (e.g. RDR2 plays extremely well on all four consoles).

Anyway pretend I'm shocked a Bethesda game would have performace issues, especially one whose day one patch is literally a full redownload of the game and with fun broken stuff like "can't uninstall the beta on PC"

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I remember upgrading to One from 360 for BF4.

It was definitely playable on 360 but moving to the One got rid of a lot of the muddiness and helped the stuttering.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That said you had plenty of advanced games that ran pretty solidly on 360/PS3. Had great times with stuff like Destiny and both Metal Gear Solid V titles, not to mention that being where GTA5 started.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

I'm really loving my xb1x but I agree with others who say the UI is trash. I had an OG PS4 before getting this and the UI is so much slicker and more intuitive.

just wait 60 days and there will be a major system update that completely changes the UI

and if you dont like that one dont worry in 60 more days theyll do it again

theyll never fix party chat or any one of the other hundreds of weird dashboard issues but buddy they will happily rebuild the UI from the ground up every other month and ship it with 0 testing

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

That said you had plenty of advanced games that ran pretty solidly on 360/PS3. Had great times with stuff like Destiny and both Metal Gear Solid V titles, not to mention that being where GTA5 started.

GTA V ran ok on 360/PS3 but the xbone/ps4 versions ran like, Good.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

fishmech posted:

I really would like to see a proper X enhanced GTAV. I know it won't look as good as RDR2 but drat is Los Santos beautiful with all the reflected lights.

And I know we'll likely never get it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Beastie posted:

I really would like to see a proper X enhanced GTAV. I know it won't look as good as RDR2 but drat is Los Santos beautiful with all the reflected lights.

And I know we'll likely never get it.

Fortunately you can play GTAV on a high end PC and it's pretty much everything you would hope for. I'm stoked to double dip for RDR2 PC if and when it happens.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Evis posted:

Meh, I heard the same thing about RDR2 before it came out. "Don't play it on anything but the One X...."
Meanwhile, it looks amazing on my One S. Do games look better on the One X? Sure. But people saying don't play *insert new game here* on anything but a One X is silly.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

fishmech posted:

Also when you get to the endgame in the nextgen versions the streets actually have like 3-4 different types of cars instead of the exact same 1 surrounding you for miles lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

lazerus06 posted:

Meh, I heard the same thing about RDR2 before it came out. "Don't play it on anything but the One X...."
Meanwhile, it looks amazing on my One S. Do games look better on the One X? Sure. But people saying don't play *insert new game here* on anything but a One X is silly.
It looks about 6x better actually.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

American McGay posted:

It looks about 6x better actually.

But not unplayable on the One S like some claim. I get it, people need to justify their purchases.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I can't, in good conscience, recommend an Xbox One S to someone looking to buy a new gaming console.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

lazerus06 posted:

But not unplayable on the One S like some claim. I get it, people need to justify their purchases.

Yes. Those people are S owners.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

American McGay posted:

I can't, in good conscience, recommend an Xbox One S to someone looking to buy a new gaming console.

I could if they're looking to cheap out on an arcade edition and have some decent USB memory sticks sitting around. Pretty much the only reason I have one.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

DrNutt posted:

Fortunately you can play GTAV on a high end PC and it's pretty much everything you would hope for. I'm stoked to double dip for RDR2 PC if and when it happens.

lol no, PC online is a disaster with hackers in virtually every session and everyone is flying around in Mk II Oppressors because some hacker gifted them $100 million at some point. It's a completely different, worse experience.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Battlefield is probably the worst offender imo when it comes to the s version being so disgusting it hurts

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

James Woods Fan posted:

Yes. Those people are S owners.

No, those are X owners. X Owner - "The only way to play games is on the X and there is no way possible it will look fine on anything but..."

But agree, if you are in the market for a new console, the X is the way to go.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

American McGay posted:

I did to my coworker who just wanted a machine to play Fortnite on for his kids. He doesn't need an X for that. So last year he bought his kids the S.

They'll probably play less than 10 other video games on it. They're perfect for it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Barudak posted:

I agree, but it gave me Breakdown and Panzer Dragoon Orta so mission accomplished.

Orta in native 4K on One X is amazing looking.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
GTAO is pretty lame unless you can play it all day all the time, but it has some pretty cool MP modes hidden among the THOUSANDS of them that can get fun for a group to play.

hello Top Fun

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Beastie posted:

I did to my coworker who just wanted a machine to play Fortnite on for his kids. He doesn't need an X for that. So last year he bought his kids the S.

They'll probably play less than 10 other video games on it. They're perfect for it.

Ooh for sure, for kids absolutely that is a good enough option. But I mean if we are recommending the Xbox One to someone in this thread, the only answer is the One X.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

American McGay posted:

I think some of y'all have a tendency to lose sight of the needs of most people.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

GTAO is pretty lame unless you can play it all day all the time, but it has some pretty cool MP modes hidden among the THOUSANDS of them that can get fun for a group to play.

hello Top Fun

I will not bother checking out RDR2 Online because it's going to be the exact same thing as GTAO but without the fun modes with rocket cars and floating race courses.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

lol no, PC online is a disaster with hackers in virtually every session and everyone is flying around in Mk II Oppressors because some hacker gifted them $100 million at some point. It's a completely different, worse experience.

That's not been my experience because I've generally stuck with playing with goons. Either way the single player is far better on PC also, where you can crank the bells and whistles as far as your vram will take you and run at 60+ fps.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Speaking of BF, I know BF always has amazing sound but on V put on headphones and try "3D headphones," not just regular headphones. That poo poo blew my mind. Not sure if the Atmos thingy helps or not.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Beastie posted:

I will not bother checking out RDR2 Online because it's going to be the exact same thing as GTAO but without the fun modes with rocket cars and floating race courses.

You're going to be so jealous of my rocket horse.

American McGay posted:

Yeah, the only TVs made anymore are in 4K, right? Or at least 1080p, right?

Oh.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheScott2K posted:

I think some of y'all have a tendency to lose sight of the needs of most people.

Honestly I don't think year 7 of a console generation is a good time to be buying such consoles at full price, which is why I wouldn't suggest getting a plain ps4/xbone/xbones at this point.

People who have already been waiting can stand to wait another year or two for deep discounts to come in on those base models and round up the gen's games, and people who don't want to wait might as well toss another few hundo in for the best versions of the consoles.

univbee posted:

You're going to be so jealous of my rocket horse.

Yeah, the only TVs made anymore are in 4K, right? Or at least 1080p, right?

Oh.

Why are you adopting the gimmick of the people who were trying to sell people on picking up a brand new Wii in like 2011, offering up the reasoning that the clearance bin at Walmart still had a few CRT sets for sale so you won't even see HD lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

The generosity of cheaters stopped long ago. Now they just stick a persistent campfire on your character model which kills you over and over until you restart the game entirely. The fire persists through session changes.

I spent a good chunk of time saving up $4-5M to get the cool jet bike only to find out I couldn't customize it at all due to needing another $1M+ trailer and a bunker. I'm at rank 120 or something like that, having done nearly all the GTA Online content (everything except bunker-related things), and I'm still not able to screw around with the cool vehicles even when I can afford them with fake money. Stuff like that leads me to believe RDR2 Online is going to be just as lame and money grubbing with saloon cards or whatever they're gonna call them.