Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, its not the labor that I am caught up on, its the narrative.

What does a story look like 6,000 pages into a 10,000 page book

Is there even the slightest chance of dramatic tension at that point?

I keep wanting to agree with you but then I remember I'm 2/3 through Terra Nostra (because of your recommendation, even) and this whole idea of "narrative" seems to have gone right out the window.

Not that I'm complaining, mind. But I think I need a reader's guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I have seen the light.

they’re not 100% wrong. i don’t mind genre fiction. i’m sure it’s hard to stand out in the infinite ocean of fantasy novels. but the refusal to recognize flaws in the genre, to the point where literary criticism is rejected, that’s uhhhh kinda weird and troubling.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

mdemone posted:

I keep wanting to agree with you but then I remember I'm 2/3 through Terra Nostra (because of your recommendation, even) and this whole idea of "narrative" seems to have gone right out the window.

Not that I'm complaining, mind. But I think I need a reader's guide.

Thats part of my point!

Terra Nostra breaks down as a narrative after about 500 pages and that is 5% the length of The Wheel of Time

It also helps to have a good breakdown in Spanish history so you recognize the characters

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I mean I assume it's not a 10 000 page story, it's a 10 000 page framework where placeholdername goes to placeholderplace and defeats placeholdemonster and the story-story moves at a sub-glacial pace. Or maybe it's like say Rougon-Macquart which also ostensibly has a story

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Serious answer: It's all fluff and padding. The Wheel of Time series wouldn't be even half as long without the multi-page descriptions of hair and trenchers and meadows; A Song of Ice and Fire would have been over ten years ago if A Feast for Crows hadn't blown hundreds of pages on people running around by themselves toward no resolution; The Kingkiller Chronicle is two novels deep into gently caress-all... there isn't exactly a mystery here. This is stuff that fantasy fans themselves bitch about. Hell, even the guy with the Super Mario Bros. 3 avatar flat-out said that Sanderson bulks his books up with worldbuilding detours away from the plot. I'm not sure of what else you're looking for here, Mel.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ras Het posted:

I mean I assume it's not a 10 000 page story, it's a 10 000 page framework where placeholdername goes to placeholderplace and defeats placeholdemonster and the story-story moves at a sub-glacial pace. Or maybe it's like say Rougon-Macquart which also ostensibly has a story

I mean I feel like even then you would run out of substories around pg 3000

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I'm not sure of what else you're looking for here, Mel.

I guess its one of those things where I can conceive of a book being written that way but I cannot conceive how anyone would enjoy it or how an entire reader base could come from it

if your narrative is drowned by a surge of empty text why read that book, and not say, something shorter and more meaningful

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

like, oh boy the new 800 page book full of tedious overlong descriptions and hundreds of pages of irrelevant fluff

I can't wait

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I guess its one of those things where I can conceive of a book being written that way but I cannot conceive how anyone would enjoy it or how an entire reader base could come from it

if your narrative is drowned by a surge of empty text why read that book, and not say, something shorter and more meaningful
It's not about meaning. It's specifically about wasting as much time as you can on as much "immersion" as possible. The one guy's example of the chair that you can just describe indefinitely because it makes the world more detailed wasn't an exaggeration.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 12, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

like, oh boy the new 800 page book full of tedious overlong descriptions and hundreds of pages of irrelevant fluff

I can't wait

i don't know if you've ever read Michael Chabon's The Wonder Boys but one of its few memorable bits consists of examining how a novel can bloat beyond the point of all reason if you whittle away at it long enough

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's not about meaning. It's specifically about wasting as much time as you can on as much "immersion" as possible. The one guy's example of the chair that you can just describe indefinitely because it makes the world more detailed wasn't exaggerating.

it just seems so contrary to how I perceive of art in general that its like looking at a museum of alien works

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
More like Mel Gatekeeper.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Mel have you ever watched a TV show

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

i don't know if you've ever read Michael Chabon's The Wonder Boys but one of its few memorable bits consists of examining how a novel can bloat beyond the point of all reason if you whittle away at it long enough

Funny use of whittle

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lex Neville posted:

Funny use of whittle

i'm subversive that way, he said, cursing his phone's weird autocorrect of "while"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

Mel have you ever watched a TV show

Only when its complete and remained critically praised for its entire run

I find serialized fiction to be deeply unpleasant

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well obviously soap operas don't exist in your leafy New England university world where jokes about library catalogue indexes are funny, but, well, they do exist elsewhere

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

Well obviously soap operas don't exist in your leafy New England university world where jokes about library catalogue indexes are funny, but, well, they do exist elsewhere

Soap Operas aren't really a "narrative" though.

I mean, they are a narrative in the sense that they are showing things happen, but they patently exist not to guide a story from beginning to end but to simply preserve their own existence

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, they are a narrative in the sense that they are showing things happen, but they patently exist not to guide a story from beginning to end but to simply preserve their own existence
I swear you're actively playing dumb about this.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Well, there you have it

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

True but the viewer-reader isn't expecting a "narrative" but whether he gets her or whether he gets to kill the dragon prince

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

that’s kinda weird too tbh

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

not so much dumb as stubborn

I am basically pointing at stories and stomping my foot demanding someone justify to me why these should count as stories

Foul Fowl posted:

that’s kinda weird too tbh

Serialized stories don't exist for the journey but simply for the moment and I find that mentality to be counter to meaningful narrative

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Like, I know a fantasy fan who dislikes books under 400 pages, because he thinks it's lazy not to come up with more stuff to keep up that price/hours of entertainment ratio. It's not about the most artful way of telling a story, it's about entertaining the reader in the ways that fantasy fans appreciate (which includes worldbuilding and descriptions of meadows).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

Like, I know a fantasy fan who dislikes books under 400 pages, because he thinks it's lazy not to come up with more stuff to keep up that price/hours of entertainment ratio. It's not about the most artful way of telling a story, it's about entertaining the reader in the ways that fantasy fans appreciate (which includes worldbuilding and descriptions of meadows).

Yeah there is a real sort of content/cost ratio in some of the responses that seems insane to me

I couldn't imagine relating the length of a piece of art to its cost

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Serialized stories don't exist for the journey but simply for the moment and I find that mentality to be counter to meaningful narrative

tons of novels were serialized initially, including most of joyce, faulkner, dickens, etc

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Look at the word. Fantasy. It's about escapism, not actually saying anything. The ideal fantasy novel is indefinite pages of procedurally generated content with enough incident to keep the reader occupied indefinitely with the content.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Foul Fowl posted:

tons of novels were serialized initially, including most of joyce, faulkner, dickens, etc

I mean that was a different sort of serialization than the modern form, and even then I only read them as a completed work anyways

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Look at the word. Fantasy. It's about escapism, not actually saying anything. The ideal fantasy novel is indefinite pages of procedurally generated content with enough incident to keep the reader occupied indefinitely with the content.

ew

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
How was it different? (genuinely)

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Burning Rain posted:

Like, I know a fantasy fan who dislikes books under 400 pages, because he thinks it's lazy not to come up with more stuff to keep up that price/hours of entertainment ratio.

The concept of public library must be foreign to these people. Millions and millions of pages for close to no money.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lex Neville posted:

How was it different? (genuinely)

from what I understood, the serialization of old fiction was done with the understanding that we were seeing a story in progress working its way to a conclusion. Sure, things may change and the writer may come up with new ideas, but the narrative vision of the story remained intact.

For example, Great Expectations had two different endings and all, but Dickens earlier notes about the work showed that he had a firm idea of what his story would become even before he began to serialize it. In that case, we are seeing a coherent vision become complete step by step.

I am ok with that.

Modern serialization, like most tv shows, comics, etc. is more about the continuation of the narrative at all costs. It is not working to an end because an end is seen as death. Instead it works so that it might simply continue to exist.

Like think about The Walking Dead tv show. What is the narrative of that show? There isn't one. It is simply events happening in the hope enough people watch the events happen so that they can make more episodes where more events happen.

Like, imagine if Dickens got to the house burning down in Great Expectations but then decided that now Miss Havisham didn't die but instead faked her death so he could write another 800 pages

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 12, 2018

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Fair enough. I was going to say that there definitely were cases of publishers pushing writers to puff up a serialized work here and there in order to add an extra installment - or writers doing so of their own volition - to make more money. But yours is a valid distinction

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Playing

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

That's part of what makes TV a distinct narrative medium, though, and one where great failures are in some ways more interesting than great successes. Not necessarily artistically, but people who watch TV for art are bigger idiots than the normal person who hasn't fallen for the Prestige scam yet

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Mystery Science Theater 3000 is the truest art, actually.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

That's part of what makes TV a distinct narrative medium, though, and one where great failures are in some ways more interesting than great successes. Not necessarily artistically, but people who watch TV for art are bigger idiots than the normal person who hasn't fallen for the Prestige scam yet

well sure but thats why i only watch tv shows when they are complete and critically praised.

I learned my lesson from Dexter when I realized at the end of season 4 that the show was doomed.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Oh man the serial killer who kills other serial killers had you fooled

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Excuse me friends but the chair was only brought up a little over a page ago and i'm not quite ready to move on to tv shows yet

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

from what I understood, the serialization of old fiction was done with the understanding that we were seeing a story in progress working its way to a conclusion. Sure, things may change and the writer may come up with new ideas, but the narrative vision of the story remained intact.

For example, Great Expectations had two different endings and all, but Dickens earlier notes about the work showed that he had a firm idea of what his story would become even before he began to serialize it. In that case, we are seeing a coherent vision become complete step by step.

I am ok with that.

Modern serialization, like most tv shows, comics, etc. is more about the continuation of the narrative at all costs. It is not working to an end because an end is seen as death. Instead it works so that it might simply continue to exist.

Like think about The Walking Dead tv show. What is the narrative of that show? There isn't one. It is simply events happening in the hope enough people watch the events happen so that they can make more episodes where more events happen.

Like, imagine if Dickens got to the house burning down in Great Expectations but then decided that now Miss Havisham didn't die but instead faked her death so he could write another 800 pages

i realize that there is a distinction of course, but broadly speaking trying to determine what is or isn't a story or a narrative is basically impossible. i mean i don't watch serialized tv so it's not like i disagree, but at the same time i don't think there's any intellectual high ground to be gained by comparing how much of a narrative something is, or isn't.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't think there's any intellectual high ground to be gained by comparing how much of a narrative something is, or isn't.

its not so much intellectual high ground as artistic high ground tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mel in bad ideas about literary merit shocker