Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

God drat the public games are echoingly empty, wonder if it's just because it's not very obvious how to get into them. Did a full bounty set with only one other dude ever joining.

Either way, friend code 4449 0415 8017

i thought the same thing, until i figured out last night that if you're leveling, you should set the difficulty to Master/rifts. every game I joined last night had at least 3 people in it.

e: also, DH is fun as gently caress with a controller. i tried Cru and WD, and didn't notice a big difference, but DH feels really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Bought the Switch version couple of days ago because I figure having the game on two other systems is not enough. Can't figure out how to get out of private games to leach off of strangers for power leveling because these new fangled consoles are confusing.

Friend code: SW-0739-6167-9004

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

You gotta hit the plus button in the main menu to open up your game to the internet. Also if you select quick join, it'll put you in someone else's game

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

You gotta hit the plus button in the main menu to open up your game to the internet. Also if you select quick join, it'll put you in someone else's game

See I am dumb. I thought that was a cross directional pad.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

You are not alone. I thought the same thing

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Anyone figured out how to get rid of the amibo portal things? I'm on my fifth character and have these things taking up 1/4 of my stash space. Can't drop, sell or salvage them. Only way I haven't tried is making a new character, dumping them on this guy then deleting the char.

Enjoying this on the switch, way better than when I played at launch however many years ago

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

I'd like some Wii U Switch Diablo buddies - SW-8109-1199-0410

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

Anyone figured out how to get rid of the amibo portal things? I'm on my fifth character and have these things taking up 1/4 of my stash space. Can't drop, sell or salvage them. Only way I haven't tried is making a new character, dumping them on this guy then deleting the char.

Enjoying this on the switch, way better than when I played at launch however many years ago

Buy more stash space.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

I only had one in my inventory. One, definitely doesn't consume a quarter of my available space.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

5er posted:

I only had one in my inventory. One, definitely doesn't consume a quarter of my available space.

I assume the problem is “every character has one in their inventory to start”.

Can you make a level one, grab a bunch of the portal items and delete the character? e: skimming posts while waking up makes for poor retention

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 10, 2018

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

NitroSpazzz posted:

You can sell the extras.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Two Beans posted:

Buy more stash space.
Yeah will have to do that at some point..once I figure out how Found it, didn't know you could do that.

5er posted:

one per character

Hellburger99 posted:

You can sell the extras.
Just double checked, "That item cannot be sold"

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 10, 2018

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

When would y’all suggest switching from cache farming to rift farming? I’m in t2, got 4/6 for my seasonal gear, but can’t crack t4 for the last two pieces. There’s still some good cache gear I haven’t gotten, but cache farming has been pretty slow.

Playing a Necro for the first time.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Absolutely rifts. Cache legendaries aren’t really worth explicitly targetting (apart from doing the caches you need for the season journey) until the Torments where you get 1-2 of them guaranteed imo, and all caches give you besides are blood shards, whereas rifts gives you shards, DBs, and have a higher global legendary % drop rate to boot. (Not to mention if you have keystones already you can always hop in and skim off someone’s GR50+s)

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Real talk, I'll buy someone an avatar if I can get a boost on Switch, standard (non-league). I doubt this person exisits but I fell behind my group due to business travel so someone please take me up on this lazy rear end request.

Discord is fvn#4260

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Absolutely rifts. Cache legendaries aren’t really worth explicitly targetting (apart from doing the caches you need for the season journey) until the Torments where you get 1-2 of them guaranteed imo, and all caches give you besides are blood shards, whereas rifts gives you shards, DBs, and have a higher global legendary % drop rate to boot. (Not to mention if you have keystones already you can always hop in and skim off someone’s GR50+s)

Thanks, makes sense. With the double caches in the season, it's been really tempting to do caches. Got at least a few good legendaries out of it.

BTW, anyone wants to play, friend code is SW-4656-2570-2029. I'll be on and off today.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Pardon my stupidity, but how the gently caress do you join a game on the Switch? Someone jumped in mine and we were doing quite well. More entertaining than soloing it. Google isn’t much help. I guess I’m too hungover today...

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

eightysixed posted:

Pardon my stupidity, but how the gently caress do you join a game on the Switch? Someone jumped in mine and we were doing quite well. More entertaining than soloing it. Google isn’t much help. I guess I’m too hungover today...

Quick play. Or, Continue your game, go to the options menu, and hit the Plus button to change lobby join-settings.

I also think there are some ports to forward, i'm having issues hosting but none joining.. e: Hmm, Type A Nat, UPnP enabled.. going to try out a couple things..

Okay, so I was more patient. Did a rift myself, about 5 minutes into rift 2 someone joined. Two rifts later we have a full party. I don't think people can join while you are idling in town, may have to actually be doing the activity to be put in the 'open game queue.' Someone quit and another person joined, all mid rift for any time someone was actually able to join.

Here are the friend codes posted on this / last page:

SW-3978-2775-4963 (mine, I've added all below)
SW-4656-2570-2029
SW-8109-1199-0410
SW-0739-6167-9004
SW-4449 0415 8017
SW-2000-5187-7927
SW-3851-0172-0437
SW-7357-3134-4615

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 11, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

onesixtwo posted:

Quick play. Or, Continue your game, go to the options menu, and hit the Plus button to change lobby join-settings.

I also think there are some ports to forward, i'm having issues hosting but none joining.. e: Hmm, Type A Nat, UPnP enabled.. going to try out a couple things..

Okay, so I was more patient. Did a rift myself, about 5 minutes into rift 2 someone joined. Two rifts later we have a full party. I don't think people can join while you are idling in town, may have to actually be doing the activity to be put in the 'open game queue.' Someone quit and another person joined, all mid rift for any time someone was actually able to join.

Here are the friend codes posted on this / last page:

SW-3978-2775-4963 (mine, I've added all below)
SW-4656-2570-2029
SW-8109-1199-0410
SW-0739-6167-9004
SW-4449 0415 8017
SW-2000-5187-7927
SW-3851-0172-0437
SW-7357-3134-4615

Friend code: SW-7705-3262-6709

Diablo Vets: playing on switch. First character. Seasonal. Necro. Level 55 presently. What kinda stuff can I do to speed up my leveling to 70?

Looking to expedite that. Doing bounties right now on Expert.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Feenix posted:

Diablo Vets: playing on switch. First character. Seasonal. Necro. Level 55 presently. What kinda stuff can I do to speed up my leveling to 70?

Higher difficulty if you can manage it. Rifts are probably a bit faster too. Also getting someone to carry you.

Necro kinda felt weak leveling until I grabbed a good build - at 55 I think you have all you need to do the one I used from https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/necromancer-leveling-and-fresh-70-guide-patch-2-6-1-season-15 - that improved my speed a bit, but honestly it still felt slow until I managed to get the weapon set.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Friend code: SW-5277-3545-6309

Leveling my necro. Currently 44.

Added everyone from the list above. IGN: Artea

m.hache fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 12, 2018

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Feenix posted:

Expert is a trap difficulty, unless you're killing things trivially fast you should stick with hard. Hard to Expert is +25% XP with +120% mob HP. The D3 rule of thumb is "faster is faster", ie it's generally always better to do content faster with lower bonuses than it is to crank it up and spend excessive amounts of time killing any individual enemy, and you really only scale up once your speed is restricted by "how fast you can move" instead of "how fast you can kill things".

Beyond that: Rifts are faster than bounties, and make sure you check the blacksmith every couple levels for the highest level 2H weapon you have available. Train him up to 10-12 if you haven't already.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Thinking of picking up a switch and this for Black Friday. Anyone farm up a condemn sader or bell monk yet? Worried about RTS mostly.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Expert is a trap difficulty, unless you're killing things trivially fast you should stick with hard. Hard to Expert is +25% XP with +120% mob HP. The D3 rule of thumb is "faster is faster", ie it's generally always better to do content faster with lower bonuses than it is to crank it up and spend excessive amounts of time killing any individual enemy, and you really only scale up once your speed is restricted by "how fast you can move" instead of "how fast you can kill things".

Beyond that: Rifts are faster than bounties, and make sure you check the blacksmith every couple levels for the highest level 2H weapon you have available. Train him up to 10-12 if you haven't already.

So first time player on Switch. Hit Necro level 45 last night on Expert. I rarely drop below 80% health. I seem to be leveling up super fast. Should I crank it up again?

I've added about half the codes from a few posts up, will be adding more after work.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Expert isn't always a bad idea for leveling, just more situational. Really for a first-time character you shouldn't be worrying about optimal difficulty settings at all, that stuff is for the nerds who wanna hit level 70 two hours after a new season starts.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
if you want more difficulty crank it up as much as you'd like tho

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Beastie posted:

So first time player on Switch. Hit Necro level 45 last night on Expert. I rarely drop below 80% health. I seem to be leveling up super fast. Should I crank it up again?

I've added about half the codes from a few posts up, will be adding more after work.

What I did after beating story normal was push through to cap on hard, farm up a temporary build on master quick using reward set recipes from bounty chests, then jump into the first tier of torment. No clue if it's ideal but I reached torment-capable in a single weekend of intense play including eating up all the story ham.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Feenix posted:

1. level up the blacksmith as far as you can
2. craft a level 70 weapon
3. take it to the mystic
4. enchant the item until you get a -level requirement roll
5. murder every demon ever

e: i should mention the range on -level requirement varies from weapon to weapon. So if you craft a level 70 weapon, check the value range with the mystic to see if you can actually equip the item when you get a -level roll.

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 12, 2018

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

3. take it to the mystic

e: i should mention the range on -level requirement varies from weapon to weapon. So if you craft a level 70 weapon, check the value range with the mystic to see if you can actually equip the item when you get a -level roll.

Also, on your later characters you can throw a lvl25 gem of ease on a lvl 70 weapon and it will be usable at level 1 and give you huge xp bonuses.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Got to Paragon Lv. 204 today with my Necro. Rathma set is great and I finally got some build-friendly gems in Enforcer, Bane of the Trapped, and Zei's Stone of Vengeance. I'm hitting the limit on what I can do on Greater Rifts at the moment, so I think I'll just farm Lv. 45 Greater Rifts to Level up my gems right now and to get more Paragon Points.

I'm currently focusing my Paragon Points to max out stats before focusing on others in lieu of any other options I can imagine. Movement Speed, Critical Damage, Armor, and Area Damage is at max points and the next Paragon stats to focus on for me will be Maximum Essence, Critical Hit Chance, Max Life, and Resource Cost Reduction.

MikoLovesYou
Nov 20, 2003

I came here tonight with my...self. Oh God.
I found a Jesseth 1h and shield, but neither are ancient and I'm taking a huge DPS hit on paper swapping from my 4.7k dps two hander. I should wait on swapping until I find an ancient version of the Jesseth set, right? Or is the DPS boost enough to ignore the sheet DPS? I tried using it in a rift and didn't do so hot, but maybe it's because I'm not used to it.

EDIT: Nevermind I'm dead RIP. When's season 16 start?

EDIT x 2: If anyone pities me and wants to boost me, hmu: SW-5660-6002-8924

MikoLovesYou fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 12, 2018

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

3. take it to the mystic

I would also play the story long enough to get the guaranteed Leoric's Crown, throw the largest Ruby in that sucker, and don't change it until 70.

This may be bad advice, as I don't know the efficiency breakpoints for "speed of killing" over "extra exp," but I always feel like my leveling is noticeably sped up when I use the Crown+Ruby.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I would also play the story long enough to get the guaranteed Leoric's Crown, throw the largest Ruby in that sucker, and don't change it until 70.

This may be bad advice, as I don't know the efficiency breakpoints for "speed of killing" over "extra exp," but I always feel like my leveling is noticeably sped up when I use the Crown+Ruby.

Oh, definitely put a ruby in your helmet. Should always enchant every helmet you're using while sub-70 to put highest tier Ruby you've got, even without the crown if you haven't gotten one yet. It makes a pretty big difference over time.

Feenix posted:

If you're newer to D3, pickup Kanai's cube out of A3 so you can extract & equip a legendary ability. Your level 20 crown can still be useful!

Also on that note, don't destroy legionaries that have good sounding abilities (you will, I already have!!). You can eventually extract powers and equip three total (one armor, weapon, ring/amulet) in the Skills wheel, without wearing the equipment itself.

For a necro build, I leveled with and found great enjoyment with the Bone Spikes (Poison rune), Skele Mage (corpse rune), Corpse Lance (Ricochet), Flesh Golem (+8 corpse rune, I also have a legendary that makes him drop a corpse every second), Skeletons (Life steal), That Spirit Bomb that does 4000% on three charges (AOE Cold rune). It just face tanks everything, and then you explode all of the corpses your mages created / left. So far I've used this build up to t7 solo. It isn't the most engaging, but it's super potent and easy.

I originally was using corpse explosion at lower levels, but Corpse Lance absolutely tears through elites / nemesis / rift guardians. It ends up being more setup (target lock-on is actually super nice for it) than just corpse exploding, but I found it less wasteful of the corpses once you aimed it or had enough to just spam endlessly.

Most fights I just hold down summon mage + bone spike until I have 10 mages. You can stutter step with mages / bone spike very easily for extra speed. If an elite pack, you have a few options. Spam your spirit ghost bomb thing to exhaust charges, and thin them out. Get mages up while doing that, drop golem's corpses, lance to your heart's content.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 12, 2018

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I'm sitting here screen-shotting this thread until I can get off work and really take a look at how the advice looks versus what my build is.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Speed is more important than percentage gains.

You are always better off doing a difficulty level you are just strong enough to slam through without too much difficulty than you are having multiple deaths because you're trying too hard or they're just a little too strong. That's probably the most important thing when leveling you boost efficiency.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

onesixtwo posted:

Also on that note, don't destroy legionaries that have good sounding abilities (you will, I already have!!). You can eventually extract powers and equip three total (one armor, weapon, ring/amulet) in the Skills wheel, without wearing the equipment itself.

I'd take it a step further and say just don't salvage/sell ANY Legendaries until you get the cube. Extracted legendary powers are account-wide (Seasonal stuff is limited to seasonal characters, obviously), so even if that power doesn't fit into your current character's build, you may roll a new hero down the line who might use it.

Also, if there are specific legendaries you're looking for, make note of the type of item it is and save every rare of that type you come across. The cube has a recipe that will upgrade a rare item into a legendary of the same type. A lot of the time, it's easier than farming and cheaper than gambling. It's especially useful for poo poo like weapons and jewellery that are particularly expensive to gamble for.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Speed is more important than percentage gains.

You are always better off doing a difficulty level you are just strong enough to slam through without too much difficulty than you are having multiple deaths because you're trying too hard or they're just a little too strong. That's probably the most important thing when leveling you boost efficiency.

this is true. also it's pretty easy to join Rift games on Master and leech off people who are better at killing stuff.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I would very much like to get a coop going with someone who has more experience than me. I'm a Switch player, and I don't have my friend code handy, but DM me if you'd be down.

My girlfriend is out of town this weekend so I will have a ton of time to poop-sock.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

MikoLovesYou posted:

I found a Jesseth 1h and shield, but neither are ancient and I'm taking a huge DPS hit on paper swapping from my 4.7k dps two hander. I should wait on swapping until I find an ancient version of the Jesseth set, right? Or is the DPS boost enough to ignore the sheet DPS? I tried using it in a rift and didn't do so hot, but maybe it's because I'm not used to it.

EDIT: Nevermind I'm dead RIP. When's season 16 start?

EDIT x 2: If anyone pities me and wants to boost me, hmu: SW-5660-6002-8924

Definitely take the DPS increase over set bonus. I've rarely found it to be beneficial to keep a set bonus for a particular build versus straight up DPS gains. No idea how it does the sheet math, but just my experience. You'll definitely get better sets to drop, just need to get there first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Joined a random game last night and the input delay was so bad when I had the other necro in the same area. Rubber banding and just not moving for 5 seconds. Still got to level 65 in a sitting. Gonna ding 70 tonight and try to get my haedrig cache.

Anyone else experiencing this when you're playing online?