Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Any good platoon lists for Bersaglieri in 43? The local nerds have finally developed an interest in CoC.

Geisladisk posted:

You can apply basically the same argument to any commonly used wargame scale. A standard 6 by 4 foot wargame table is around 200 meters across at 1:100 scale. If the games we play had the same ground scale as model scale all the "Range" entries would just say "Yes". :v:

I see you have played Force on Force :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Whipped up a real quick German artillery observer. I was surprised I even owned one, but he was rummaging around in a bag of PaK40 crew I bought second hand.

It's not my best work, which is actually a bit of a shame, since the model is really cool, but it'll do.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Here's a 15mm Marder III I made. Plastic Soldier Company.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Nice! In what is probably no coincidence whatsoever, that's on my todo-list as well. I need a Marder or two for the upcoming campaign. I'm heading to crisis in Antwerp in a bit, PSC has a stand as well. Time to add some stuff to the backlog! First wargaming con in a long time, I'll snap some pics if I see some cool stuff.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Wowshawk posted:

Nice! In what is probably no coincidence whatsoever, that's on my todo-list as well. I need a Marder or two for the upcoming campaign. I'm heading to crisis in Antwerp in a bit, PSC has a stand as well. Time to add some stuff to the backlog! First wargaming con in a long time, I'll snap some pics if I see some cool stuff.

Cool! The Marder is a nice set, but has terrible instructions. TFL has a stand in Antwerp too.

I finished my Firefly too. Just need a little man in the turret.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Fish and Chimps posted:

Whipped up a real quick German artillery observer. I was surprised I even owned one, but he was rummaging around in a bag of PaK40 crew I bought second hand.

It's not my best work, which is actually a bit of a shame, since the model is really cool, but it'll do.

I’m imagining that he’s just rubbing his chin in the first picture and thinking to himself, “Hmmm yes... add 50, fire for effect”

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

FastestGunAlive posted:

I’m imagining that he’s just rubbing his chin in the first picture and thinking to himself, “Hmmm yes... add 50, fire for effect”
:hmmyes:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Until I was reminded to paint the mouth piece of his radio, he looked like he was eating a croissant.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Crisis was a nice. And big. Lots of games and it was really nice to see the products in stead of checking out a website. Had a couple of demo games, 1666, an alternate history musketeer boardgame/mini game with some nice mechanics (reminded me a bit of Malifaux what with using a deck of cards instead of dice).

The other was Carnevale, a kickstarter by TTcombat. I was very, very tempted as it was a good skirmish with beautiful terrain. There was an event deal with more 50% off for an entire 3X3 board filled with Venice in 28mm.

I picked op a copy of Coc at the Lardies' table, got some extra minis and bits for Test of honour, and checked the last trucks and Sdkfz's off my to-buy list. Didn't find any marder boxes though, and held off to buy a single sprue.

And there were lots and lots of beautiful tables to ogle of course:

Coc demo time!

Wowshawk fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 7, 2018

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Those are some nice tables. Seven Years War and Iraq?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I saw this post in the Milhist thread:

Cessna posted:

The SS was, in many ways, a self-contained empire.

Those camouflage smocks were sewn by the inmates of concentration camps. If you could use a sewing machine you might survive a bit longer.

Ever see photos of the Warsaw uprising of 1944?

These are Polish fighters. They are wearing Waffen-SS camouflage smocks and helmet covers.

When the Warsaw Uprising started one of the first things they did was liberate the nearby Gęsiówka concentration camp. That camp used inmates to, among other things, make the camouflage cloth and sew it into shelter-sections, smocks, and helmet covers.

The Polish Home Army liberated the camouflage and used it themselves.
Is it wrong I kind of want to make a Polish Home Army list from Warlord Waffen-SS minis to troll Wehraboos? I gather that there's a army list for it in the Road To Berlin. It seems like that would be cheaper than using metal miniatures for everything.

Right after I finish my Market Garden US Paratroopers. And refine my British Commandos.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I think it would confuse people a hell of a lot rather than troll anybody, but sure why not?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Endman posted:

I think it would confuse people a hell of a lot rather than troll anybody, but sure why not?

Yeah, I suppose so. Not to mention I'd have to learn how to paint those camo smocks.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Is it wrong I kind of want to make a Polish Home Army list from Warlord Waffen-SS minis to troll Wehraboos? I gather that there's a army list for it in the Road To Berlin. It seems like that would be cheaper than using metal miniatures for everything.

Right after I finish my Market Garden US Paratroopers. And refine my British Commandos.

There is a Warsaw Uprising list and scenarios in the Road to Berlin expansion but yeah I agree that using all SS minis would just be confusing for most people. Here's an idea though: wait for the inevitable Warlord sprue sale this holiday season and buy sprues for a variety of different nations, then kitbash them all together to make a Warsaw Uprising/Partisan force. I saw someone do that and it looked surprisingly good.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hey, my post!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Do it - I am!

I'm in the middle of working up a Warsaw Uprising/Home Army in 28mm myself. I intend to use to for Bolt Action and Chain of Command.

There is a list in Bolt Action's Road to Berlin. There is also a list in France and the Allies; it is intended to be generic partisans, but works just fine for Home Army, including the ability to field a captured Panther. (In fact, the Home Army captured TWO Panthers):

I've never found a (correct) Panther G with "zimmerit" in 28mm scale. (They stopped putting "zimmerit" on Panthers a few months after the -G came into production, so it's not a very common combo in models.) I may try to put on some "zimmerit" using putty and a razor-saw - I did this with old-school model tanks years ago, and it's a big hassle. The Panther(s) should be plain dark-yellow with Polish flags and the letters "WP" painted on them.

They also captured a "Hetzer" (which was probably immobile and used as a barrier/bunker) and some 251/D halftracks:

Yes, you need to convert a figure to wave a flag like that!

They also captured a Tiger, but there are questions about whether it was actually used in combat or too broken down/damaged for this.

- - -

For figures, SS with a few conversions would be perfect. Put a red and white band around their arm and on their helmet like in the photo (use a strip of green-stuff) and paint different colored trousers (1939 Polish Army brown is a good choice). They'll look different enough from SS-assholes with the red/white bands to avoid confusion.

For Home Army who don't have the liberated SS camouflage, there are some good "Volkssturm" ranges that work perfectly for guys in semi-civilian clothes armed with German weapons. I'm using some figures from the "Last Levy" box from Warlord and some "Volkssturm" with some conversions from "Offensive Miniatures."

For accuracy's sake mix in a few Sten guns and maybe a PIAT or two - the Western Allies air-dropped some weapons for the Poles to use.

- - -

A few years ago Battlefront (Flames of War) included a Home Army list with their Red Bear book. They also put the list up as a pdf on their site, here. The really helpful thing about this pdf is that it has a good quick painting guide and some figure ideas - 15mm, but use their ideas anyway.

- - -

Also - a while ago someone kickstarted a small line of 28mm Home Army, including the "Kubus" home-made armored car:

Google "Infamous JT" and/or "28mm Warsaw Uprising" and you should find them. I don't know if you can still back the Kickstarter - I did, and supposedly they're due to ship next February.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 5, 2018

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Gotta love those DIY flamethrowers they made. Bolt Action even has special rules for them, making them even more dangerous and unpredictable than normal flamethrowers.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

For that matter, I think playing a 1945 German list would be a pretty effective troll on Wehraboos.

"You've got an Uber-elite Panzer army? Okay, I've got an accurate representation of the German army in 1945. It's a couple of squads of 14 year old Hitler youth on bicycles, a couple of squads of 60 year old Volkssturm, and a tank that's out of gas, all backed by Feldjagers who will shoot them if they retreat."

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
"Yeah, this is an SS list, but it's rated as 'green' because the Germans were scraping the bottom of the barrel and down to hoping that reputation was enough to slow down the Soviets."

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I am also working on a 28mm Polish Home Army.

:hfive:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
A lot has happened over the years. Both my skill as a painter and the quality of Battlefront's plastic kits have increased drastically. The two Shermans on the left are old Open Fire ones from 2012 I think, the two on the right are the new ones.

The 17 pdr on the old Firefly is almost warhammer-like in size.

Edit: lol look at the stowed road wheel on the front of the second left Sherman :pwn:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

ExtraNoise posted:

I am also working on a 28mm Polish Home Army.

:hfive:

Excellent choice!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I finally painted up my PaK 40 crew after I bought the cannon more than a year ago. Unfortunately, I only had a leader and 4 Battlefront crew for it, but CoC requires 5. So I supplemented with a PSC crewman from their heavy weapons box. Unfortunately, he looked a little weedy compared to his buddies.

But what I did have was ammo boxes! So I chucked him over to crew the HMG instead, and replaced him with the PaK 40 crew's new buddy: Boxy the Ammo Crate!

And that's the story of an early replacement of menial labourers with automation in order to save on wages!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Nice! I'll have to remember that!

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

Fish and Chimps posted:

Those are some nice tables. Seven Years War and Iraq?

A bit late, but I'v been busy the last couple of days. Great Northern War, battle of Rügen Island. The modern table was Benghazi, from Hamburg Tactica. By the way, I I saw your Shermans, I bought two of those Open Fire boxes, and those both had the new plastics (like the ones on the right and what you get in the Tanks! starter). Maybe those are older plastics?

I've been assembling and priming the samurai and ashigaru from the Test of Honour starter, and it's a real pain in the rear end. Even with cutting away bits the poses seem a bit flat. It's really obvious those sprues are a bit dated. Can't complain about the price though. I've picked up a bunch of Perry samurai and commoners to diversify a bit.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Has anyone played TFL's Bag the Hun?

I've got some planes from Wings of Glory - Spitfires and Messerschmitts - and I'm thinking it might be fun to try using them for another game.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I haven't played Bag the Hun, but I'd like to. I've heard very good things about it.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Wowshawk posted:

A bit late, but I'v been busy the last couple of days. Great Northern War, battle of Rügen Island. The modern table was Benghazi, from Hamburg Tactica. By the way, I I saw your Shermans, I bought two of those Open Fire boxes, and those both had the new plastics (like the ones on the right and what you get in the Tanks! starter). Maybe those are older plastics?

Cool! My friend showed me the low price of Pikeman's Lament and I immediately laid plans for doing Swedish Wars campaigns. He just went "nah, no time" and left me hanging the little CoC I tease! Too few opportunities to wargame northern military history, so I get really excited when I see somebody who does it. :(

Yes, BF redid the Open Fire sets when they got the new Sherman boxed sets. The first series had godawful hand-sculpted tank kits, where you literally had to cut off huge chunks of the parts to make them fit even badly together. They were terrible!

By the way, here are four 4ground orchards I've been covering in foliage. It's really tedious work and I hate it very much, but the results are so nice.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Fish and Chimps posted:

Cool! My friend showed me the low price of Pikeman's Lament and I immediately laid plans for doing Swedish Wars campaigns. He just went "nah, no time" and left me hanging the little CoC I tease! Too few opportunities to wargame northern military history, so I get really excited when I see somebody who does it. :(

Yes, BF redid the Open Fire sets when they got the new Sherman boxed sets. The first series had godawful hand-sculpted tank kits, where you literally had to cut off huge chunks of the parts to make them fit even badly together. They were terrible!

Were these the ones that you basically had to rubber band together?

quote:

By the way, here are four 4ground orchards I've been covering in foliage. It's really tedious work and I hate it very much, but the results are so nice.

These look great!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The old Open Fire! Shermans aren't too bad if you find them cheap, you just need to putty the hulls and clip out a big mistake on one piece.

I kind of love them because I'm a cheapskate.

But yeah, the new ones are substantially better.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Played Bolt Action yesterday. The game is so easy to run, you guys, we haven't played it months, and it was still a breeze.

On the other hand, the tanks rolled amazingly bad. They each scored one hit on the opposing number, did more damage by using MGs to chew up infantry, and once I managed to land a flank shot at the buffalo, it only got immobilized :gifttank:

The Buffalo, on the other hand, is a beast with 10-15 MMG shots, OMG.

Great game, will play again.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp5D4euH_Cn/

We set up the table badly, as you'll notice!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Someday I will paint the old Open Fire Shermans I have.

The resin ones...

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think Warlord does good metal minis but after working on my Winter US Army platoon I am so over them. Plastic only, please.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Does anyone know what the little ridges on German camo are and what they're for?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Class Warcraft posted:

Does anyone know what the little ridges on German camo are and what they're for?

"Foliage loops." Little pieces of cloth sewn to the helmet cover, the idea was that troops would stuff little bits of vegetation into them to break up the silhouette of their helmet and make it blend into the surrounding terrain better.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 9, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Notahippie posted:

For miniatures, Baccus has some good stuff in god's own scale, if you're into that sort of thing.

gently caress, these are great. Thanks so much. I think I'll go 28mm for TYW/Italian wars and 6mm for medieval.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
You can order a sample pack from Baccus, and pick a couple of periods. The quality of the sculpts is great, don't forget to add bases if you pick loose packs though.

Coc: is it possible to use fow multi-bases? After reading the rules a bit my gut says it would a bit of a pain with the lower model count.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Wowshawk posted:

You can order a sample pack from Baccus, and pick a couple of periods. The quality of the sculpts is great, don't forget to add bases if you pick loose packs though.

Coc: is it possible to use fow multi-bases? After reading the rules a bit my gut says it would a bit of a pain with the lower model count.

It's possible, you'll just need some kind of way to count casualties, like a small D6. I think the group the next town over from me do CoC in 15mm with their old FoW armies.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Wowshawk posted:

Rebase them! CoC is absolutely awesome with single based 15mm minis.

Btw. Holy poo poo Lardy Rich is thin-skinned when it comes to criticism of the CoC rules. He gets very huffy when you mention you'd like a 2nd ed. that polishes the rules a but.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Fish and Chimps posted:

^^^ This!

Fish and Chimps posted:

Btw. Holy poo poo Lardy Rich is thin-skinned when it comes to criticism of the CoC rules. He gets very huffy when you mention you'd like a 2nd ed. that polishes the rules a but.
Really? I've seen quite the opposite in response to criticism of CoC in places like The Miniatures Page. He got snarky about Bolt Action needing a 2nd edition last year, but he usually freely admits there's stuff about CoC that could use updating or refinement. In some ways, the expanded Force Morale rules in the Blitzkrieg 1940 handbook were an attempt to address a few of those issues. What was the context with him being salty?

EDIT: Hosted a couple of games of Chain of Command at a local gaming tournament this past weekend. Good fun was had by all. Pictures on the morrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Fish and Chimps posted:

What size bases do you use for 15mm? Round 25mm?