Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

incels interlinked posted:

you sound super mad that you can only argue on the internet with your degree instead of saving an animal's life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Shaggar posted:

idk who that is

it’s the dude what sold his soul to the devil, you philistine.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

other way around, i think -- medical doctors in germany are not entitled to formally use the term Doktor (they have some other qualified version that i can't remember), nor are people from other countries holding an MD. even phds from the USA have to have received their doctorate from an R1 to call themselves Doktor in germany.

and, unlike certain states in the union and the term "engineer," germany actually will nail you to the wall over this as a form of professional misrepresentation

ya, currently working in germany and have to put up with extreme usage of titles by my colleagues (as germany is pretty traditional about that stuff) while i am a 'cybernetic vermin, phd', despite it being from an almost carbon-copy-the-same system

all very silly, the way titles invariably end up being

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
would my BS get me anything over there, title-wise?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if it was in a licensed profession, ie engineering

had an EE professor from germany and her formal title on her CV was basically "professor engineer"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

piss

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

President Beep posted:

i don't think they give you a title just for your posts

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

President Beep posted:

You're just a Beep, stealing valor from Presidents and Merkel will not hesitate to throw you into prison.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

ya, currently working in germany and have to put up with extreme usage of titles by my colleagues (as germany is pretty traditional about that stuff) while i am a 'cybernetic vermin, phd', despite it being from an almost carbon-copy-the-same system

all very silly, the way titles invariably end up being

yeah germany has quite a tradition of labeling people.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

:stonklol:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

:yikes:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shaggar posted:

:chloe:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"the government says this is my title so I must accept it" - germans

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
special people get to wear a star - also germany

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

scheißekopf posted:

"the government says this is my title so I must accept it" - germans

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

infernal machines posted:

special people get to wear a star - also germany

Mods J

nope not going to

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

infernal machines posted:

selling an ineffectual panopticon to the feds seems like a moral good, at least based on the premise that they're going to try to get a panopticon come hell or high water, it may as well not work.

the problem is not that the software does nothing, it is that what they are selling is a system that highlights people of color and singles them out for government harassment under the guise of the latest marketing terms

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

duz posted:

the problem is not that the software does nothing, it is that what they are selling is a system that highlights people of color and singles them out for government harassment under the guise of the latest marketing terms

peter thief is literally a white supremacist too, so this shouldn't be surprising

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SeaborneClink posted:

You're just a Beep, stealing valor from Presidents and Merkel will not hesitate to throw you into prison.

any alleged valor held by presidents deserves to be stolen and i salute our good presnidetn beep for his actions

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shaggar posted:

:drat:

on a completely unrelated note, austrians traditionally also use the academic title when addressing someone's partner. so if your wife has a phd, they'll address you as doktor as well, even if you don't have one

Babies Getting Rabies fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 12, 2018

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
energy news!

this years lazard report on levelized cost of energy is out, and unsurprisingly for new builds wind and solar got even cheaper (and are the cheapest), coal stayed expensive, and nuclear got even more expensive (presumably tracking ongoing cost overruns and delays in new us and euro plants). ars has a nice chart up showing the shifts from 2017 to 2018

lithium-ion storage costs dropped 8% over the last year too (flow batteries fell 11-14%) although li-ion is starting to run up against rising cobalt prices

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/11/new-year-same-story-cost-of-wind-and-solar-fall-below-cost-of-coal-and-gas

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

on a completely unrelated note, austrians traditionally also use the academic title when addressing someone's partner. so if your wife has a phd, they'll address you as doktor as well, even if you don't have one

you think this is unrelated, but

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

stolen valor lmao

SIR
WHO WAS YOUR RESIDENT ADVISOR SIR

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Sagebrush posted:

lomarf that the nyt calls veterinarians "doctor" but won't give it by default to ph.ds, historically the only recipients of the title and people who have spent about twice as long in school as a veterinarian to boot

i don't think that even regular people on the street call vets "doctors" unless they also are super insane weirdo animal people

check out this fancy lad who wants to be called doctor without having to look inside a bunch of cat assholes

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
In Mexico having an education is such a big deal that everyone who has a professional degree gets that prepended. It was so weird to me that everywhere I went, I was called Engineer instead of Sir

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if i was to draw a line i'd say it is pretty appropriate to call phds who teach classes 'doctor'. it does after all mean 'teacher', and they are getting a pretty lovely deal for a lot of effort there

phd's in industry can certainly gently caress off on that front though, and usually that includes me

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

if i was to draw a line i'd say it is pretty appropriate to call phds who teach classes 'doctor'. it does after all mean 'teacher', and they are getting a pretty lovely deal for a lot of effort there

phd's in industry can certainly gently caress off on that front though, and usually that includes me

Uh do you know how many PRs I've commented on? (disclaimer: not a phd)

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I'm Not One Of Those Fancy College-Educated Doctors

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

im the 54% female bar that's longer than the 83% male bar

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

notably etsy, indiegogo, and yelp, the top three, all have huge armies of support staff, because they have b2b models that serve small business

what do you want to bet that the pink side of the chart is all sales / account / cust service people

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

duz posted:

the nypd fired palantir because the software doesn't even do this right

these people are a cheap self-parody.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
palantir's brand promise is to give you tools that make you as all-seeing as an evil wizard

the reality: purchasers are given the opportunity to dress like a schizophrenic homeless man who sometimes thinks he's an evil wizard

in both cases the deal stinks

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

notably etsy, indiegogo, and yelp, the top three, all have huge armies of support staff, because they have b2b models that serve small business

what do you want to bet that the pink side of the chart is all sales / account / cust service people

etsy and pinterest have dedicated initiatives to hire women into their tech teams, or at least ones that actually work sine I believe they have gender parity even in engineering

was it google that spent $250 million in a year and improved diversity 1%?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shame Boy posted:

look how much larger it is even compared to the 46% on the other side

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

ooh then i'm the 35% female bar that's longer than the opposing 65% male bar

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

next edition of "how to lie with statistics" coming along well it seems

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
we just recruited 6 people into my team. after heroic efforts to remove gender bias from the selection process, 50% of the newcomers are women!

so we now have..... 4 women. in a team of about 25 :v:

it’s progress!!!

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Soricidus posted:

we just recruited 6 people into my team. after heroic efforts to remove gender bias from the selection process, 50% of the newcomers are women!

so we now have..... 4 women. in a team of about 25 :v:

it’s progress!!!

what gender bias was there and how did you remove it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

FMguru posted:

energy news!

this years lazard report on levelized cost of energy is out, and unsurprisingly for new builds wind and solar got even cheaper (and are the cheapest), coal stayed expensive, and nuclear got even more expensive (presumably tracking ongoing cost overruns and delays in new us and euro plants). ars has a nice chart up showing the shifts from 2017 to 2018

I was wondering how there could be so little variance in the cost of solar since I’d imagine solar near arctic circle wouldn’t produce nearly as much as solar in equatorial regions.. but this is the cost of installations actually completed

so the low variance means that only the solar installations predicted to be the most profitable get built. there’s probably few reasons for this. having the most suitable locations still undeveloped is probably one reason. another could be risk aversion due to long term performance of the solar panels being uncertain