Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

galagazombie posted:

They'll make the same mistake with this Cassian thing they did with Solo. They'll have him go through his character arc from the original despite him somehow having undone said arc in time for the original. I'm not exactly looking forward to the tale of how Cassian learned to not be cynical and ruthless in time for him to be cynical and ruthless at the start of Rogue One.
Maybe he'll slowly become cynical over the series (well defined and definitely not extended well past premium) runtime and explain why he became cynical. Being a wide eye optimist before someone shows him the world is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Darth TNT posted:

Maybe he'll slowly become cynical over the series (well defined and definitely not extended well past premium) runtime and explain why he became cynical. Being a wide eye optimist before someone shows him the world is poo poo.

I hope it's K2 gradually wearing him down.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

then KOTOR came along and stripped the ancient era of all of its personality

i haven't played kotor in at least a decade i wonder if it still holds up or would feel goofy now.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Uncle Wemus posted:

i haven't played kotor in at least a decade i wonder if it still holds up or would feel goofy now.

can't it be both?

not the combat, though. that poo poo was already rough by the time it came out

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

KOTOR went way too far with the RPG elements to the point they started leaking into the story and lore itself

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vinylshadow posted:

KOTOR went way too far with the RPG elements to the point they started leaking into the story and lore itself

It is interesting; Darth Revan is an RPG main character who has little-to-no personality and whose stats can be maxed out, and when you put that into the Star Wars CanonTM without scaling back, he basically becomes god. He's a Force master, a great swordsman and marksman, an engineer, a scientist, a soldier, an academic, a polyglot, a statesman, a pilot, an expert military tactician and strategist who only became Dark Lord of the Sith so he could defend the galaxy from an even greater threat he found in the Unknown Regions.

Later retcons even revealed that he came up with the idea that there should only ever be two Sith at a time. He's basically Darth Vader combined with Grand Admiral Thrawn with no meaningful weaknesses attributed to him. The second game had a bit of fun with the idea because Revan isn't in it but all the characters talk about how awesome he was and build up this legend around him, but then fans on the Internet all took it at face value and earnestly bought into it.

And yet nobody ever complained that Darth Revan was a Mary Sue! :v:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
KOTOR had the same cliches as Bioware's other RPGs but with none of the cleverness or playfulness of the Black Isle Studios game. That it seemed better than most was largely due to the fact that the Star Wars aesthetic provided a better coat of paint than what their later games had.

:colbert:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Vinylshadow posted:

The whole thing got into peoples brains that the Force was like some kind of spell-book with extremely specific powers that gave you "Light" or "Dark" points. Like short-circuiting electronics was a Light Side technique now? Or how apparently you could game how good or evil you were which is how we got the godawful "Grey Jedi" BS.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

galagazombie posted:

The whole thing got into peoples brains that the Force was like some kind of spell-book with extremely specific powers that gave you "Light" or "Dark" points. Like short-circuiting electronics was a Light Side technique now? Or how apparently you could game how good or evil you were which is how we got the godawful "Grey Jedi" BS.

That “destroy droid” is apparently a light side power is actually a devastating ideological critique.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

galagazombie posted:

this concept definitely pre-existed kotor by several years idk why it's being blamed for the rpgification of the force

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

this concept definitely pre-existed kotor by several years idk why it's being blamed for the rpgification of the force

iirc the light side/dark side split can be traced back to one of the earliest star wars tabletop games

the grey jedi i assume are from some terrible EU book series

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

the first time i remember really running into it was absolutely dark forces 2 and that always stuck with me way more than kotor did

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

KotR is based the 3rd Edition D&D rules.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

the first time i remember really running into it was absolutely dark forces 2 and that always stuck with me way more than kotor did

I think it was the manual where they mentioned that while Lightning is inherently a dark side power, it's how you use it that matters. Which is a terrible excuse.

I hope someone comes out soon and just kills the grey jedi bullshit. I want to see light vs dark.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Darth TNT posted:

I think it was the manual where they mentioned that while Lightning is inherently a dark side power, it's how you use it that matters. Which is a terrible excuse.

I hope someone comes out soon and just kills the grey jedi bullshit. I want to see light vs dark.

The closest the films came to it was basically just Qui-gon Jin, ie a Jedi whose interpretation of the code wasn't in line with the Council's bullshit.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hodgepodge posted:

The closest the films came to it was basically just Qui-gon Jin, ie a Jedi whose interpretation of the code wasn't in line with the Council's bullshit.

Also Mace Windu, who tapped into ~*the Dark Side*~ in order to have a purple lightsaber and also hold it slightly different from the other Jedi while fighting I guess.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

KOTOR had the same cliches as Bioware's other RPGs but with none of the cleverness or playfulness of the Black Isle Studios game. That it seemed better than most was largely due to the fact that the Star Wars aesthetic provided a better coat of paint than what their later games had.

:colbert:

It had a few clever ideas that never really got fully explored, I really liked how the Jedi master in 2 explicitly thought both the sith and Jedi were bad for the universe

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

grey jedis are cool and that's why rey is cool. halfway decent person with a tonne of rage inside her that she uses to kick the poo poo out of space weenies.

light/dark is just an endless rehashing of incel chuds doing a genocide every couple of years.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

jfood posted:

grey jedis are cool and that's why rey is cool.

I found her remarkably dull myself.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kotor is not good writing and retconned some fun stuff for some much more boring art direction but its not where weird codification comes from because those rpg books are way older.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

also kotor was way better than that silly rear end space boat

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Rey is just straightforwardly a dark side character.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
People on the so-called "dark side" are generally guilty of nothing but putting themselves before others; there is nothing particularly immoral about that.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

the only grey jedi that i've remotely been interested in is still jolee bindo purely because he manages to be grey while keeping to a code of his own whereas all the other greys seem to just swap back and forth between light and dark like they're switching teams or have vastly inconsistent moral compasses

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

the only grey jedi that i've remotely been interested in is still jolee bindo purely because he manages to be grey while keeping to a code of his own whereas all the other greys seem to just swap back and forth between light and dark like they're switching teams or have vastly inconsistent moral compasses

I don't think Jolee is much of a grey Jedi as he is a Jedi who is no longer affiliated with the Order. He still does good where he can, he even specifically asks you to not kill the Sith officers in the way of your quest, even if it's the most expedient method.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Grey jedi always seemed too much like "I'm a vegetarian but sometimes I eat meat when I want to" to me

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

SolarFire2 posted:

I don't think Jolee is much of a grey Jedi as he is a Jedi who is no longer affiliated with the Order. He still does good where he can, he even specifically asks you to not kill the Sith officers in the way of your quest, even if it's the most expedient method.

So he's just a Protestant Jedi

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Modern canon has framed it a little better, I feel. Someone like Ashoka, who is no longer part of the Jedi order but still tries to do good.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Luke was a grey Jedi by all EU definitions and yet he's still in his own words just a basic Jedi

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

luke is definitely the protestant jedi to the prequel trilogy's catholics

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

In that case I’m glad he’s dead

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The grey jedi/gray jedi schism of 69 BBY

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
"Gray Jedism" is moronic because there is no "Light Jedism' and "Dark Jedism".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There is only penis

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

luke is definitely the protestant jedi to the prequel trilogy's catholics

Yeah, Luke was an essentially good guy and they were evil. It fits. And obviously Luke went bad when, like John Wilkes Booth, he converted to Catholicism later in life. And much like most Catholics have never read the Bible, Luke never read the ancient Jedi texts; underlining this is the fact that he is helpless until the Pope (Yoda), who he, as Catholic, worships instead of God, shows up and tells him what to do.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 12, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

"Gray Jedism" is moronic because there is no "Light Jedism' and "Dark Jedism".

Jivjov are there dark and light jedi?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bark Jedi

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

There are Jedi of every race, as well as Sith, who mostly seem to be white, especially in the case of Asajj Ventress.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There is only penis

More to the point, Obi Wan's exposed penis, when he fakes his death and hides in the death star completely nude, only to be blown up by Luke later anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I Before E posted:

There are Jedi of every race, as well as Sith, who mostly seem to be white, especially in the case of Asajj Ventress.

Ventress isn’t a Sith, she’s just a Queer Force User