Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Louisiana just got unanimous juries too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1061335051294728194

5-4 decisions coming soon!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Took a stroll the other night, to witness the latest depredation of imperial occupation present in my hometown, this thing:

This is apparently one of the smaller ones, but it looked fuckoff huge to me. Filled to the brim with crayons, apparently, or so someone remarked. Got a nice surprise, just as I was walking out a loving huge hoverboat tore out of the rear end end of it, pretty interesting stuff. You guys just do have the best toys. And you haven't collided with anyone and sunk poo poo either, which is more than you can say for the norwegian navy. Good work?

Also, I had a great weekend at the cabin, when you guys coming to visit?

Nice piece of fish posted:

Hello again, friends! Thought I'd post a quick experience from lovely late autumn in the mountains.

It's been a while since last time and I've been pretty much stressed out of my head with work and more work. I finally managed to get some cabin time, and it was a pretty lovely weekend to do so. Wanted to get out a little and maybe find a nice bird to pick out of the sky.

Had no such luck, unfortunately, but I did se some løvely lakes. Lake is starting to get frozen over and it's pretty chilly overall. I did see one forest fowl, but wouldn't you know it it took off just as soon as I got around that tree you see in the first picture. Yeah, it was sitting less than 50 meters from the cabin. That's the only thing I saw all day. But I did have a lovely walk, and it was absolutely worth it.

I did a bare minimum of needful work, including chopping up wood for winter, winterizing the cabin and putting up some Tiny Shelves. They are just :3: adorable.

In the evening I relaxed with a traditional dry stout, lefse and whisky while listening to slow radio, jazz and such.

Then I moved on to the good better stuff.

And wouldn't you know it, a little tickle in the back of my head told me to head outside for a breath of fresh air. Kind of hard to capture this stuff on a cell phone cam, but I tried my level best:

The sky was starry and clear, like only absolute darkness can make it.

And with the wintery darkness and starry skies arrives...

Yes, that's right. I spent my weekend sitting outside in the crisp, wintery air sipping a really rather good Glenlivet Nadurra watching the northern lights flicker across the sky. Not a bad way to spend an evening, take my word for it.

Thanks for stopping by, hope you had a good weekend as well and I'll post more next time something interesting happens.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Here in Dallas County, a Judge excluded expert witness testimony which killed a Plaintiff's case.

That was enough for the Plaintiff's bar to run a 30 year old against him. He won't be on the bench after Dec. 31.

Given that I'm on the Defense side now, that seems.... Bad.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah I liked that judge for my cases. Oh well. CCL2 is cool.

Hot Dog Day #91 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 12, 2018

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yeah I liked beep boop for my cases. Oh well. CCL2 is cool.

I'm having (and losing) an epic drama fest in CCL1 currently against a former disgraced District Judge.

I've only been sanctioned $850.00 so far. The COA was my Ace in the hole but.. it went Dem.

Roger_Mudd fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 12, 2018

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm not gonna say anything about court 1. My boss is in week 2 of a 2 week trial that could have been done in 3 days.

^^^ can you edit your quote that has the judges name in it? I wasn't thinking.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I know someone who interned in ccl1 and it was a nightmare.

Even the other awful judges in Dallas county/district court do the thousand yard stare when ccl1 is brought up

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Done with my second interview. Went pretty well as far as I could tell, I had a case presentation and I don't know if they are used to my kind of lawyering because they looked kind of taken aback and didn't have any questions because I mentioned everything they'd thought about. Which is either really good or really bad. We laughed a little as well, which was nice.

It's down to the final five so here's hoping.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
This article looks on-brand for this thread:

https://www.law.com/americanlawyer/...=20181012120213

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

ulmont posted:

"Our most serious problem revolved around Gabe’s struggle with binge drinking. It wasn’t on a daily basis, but maybe three or four times a year there would be some event or function where he drank too much. I was hard on him for it—it made me so uncomfortable and mad and sad when he would cross that line."

Wait, does this mean Gabe got actually drunk 3-4 times a year? Because most attorneys call that "Tuesday."

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Here in Dallas County, a Judge excluded expert witness testimony which killed a Plaintiff's case.

That was enough for the Plaintiff's bar to run a 30 year old against him. He won't be on the bench after Dec. 31.

Given that I'm on the Defense side now, that seems.... Bad.

Same thing happened in one of the district courts. He granted an msj, plaintiffs funded a Challenger, Challenger was the right demographic and won.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SlyFrog posted:

"Our most serious problem revolved around Gabe’s struggle with binge drinking. It wasn’t on a daily basis, but maybe three or four times a year there would be some event or function where he drank too much. I was hard on him for it—it made me so uncomfortable and mad and sad when he would cross that line."

Wait, does this mean Gabe got actually drunk 3-4 times a year? Because most attorneys call that "Tuesday."

One of my relatives just started AA for binge drinking reasons and my initial reaction to their consumption was "that doesn't sound like all that much really, even for a Tuesday"

The real downside for me is now I can't have alcohol at family events which is gonna be really rough . Maybe I bring a secret flask?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

ulmont posted:

paywall

Never thought I'd see the day that the US president gets brutally clowned on by the French Army... but here we are

https://twitter.com/armeedeterre/status/1061908742999027712

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SlyFrog posted:

mastershakeman posted:

One of my relatives just started AA for binge drinking reasons and my initial reaction to their consumption was "that doesn't sound like all that much really, even for a Tuesday"

Yeah, I had the same thought.

Go through a twitter link, I guess; I don't have a subscription.
https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/status/1061996501629575168

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I would like to think that article would cause some amount of introspection and change in biglaw but I’m not stupid.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

disjoe posted:

I would like to think that article would cause some amount of introspection and change in biglaw but I’m not stupid.

Do you know how many articles over the years I've seen with the same exact fact pattern? All those partners who didn't show up to this poor guy's service (DESPITE IT APPARENTLY BEING AT THE loving OFFICE) will never read this poo poo or if they do they'll go "Gabe who?" then forget about it and immediately get back to work.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

EwokEntourage posted:

I know someone who interned in ccl1 and it was a nightmare.

Same, and this was 10 years ago. I can't believe she's still on the bench.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Do you know how many articles over the years I've seen with the same exact fact pattern? All those partners who didn't show up to this poor guy's service (DESPITE IT APPARENTLY BEING AT THE loving OFFICE) will never read this poo poo or if they do they'll go "Gabe who?" then forget about it and immediately get back to work.

[Sees email regarding Gabe come in. Moment's pause between replying to meaningless client emails, as he stares into space for .0017 billable hours:]

"Looks like the profit per partner just went up this year!"

[Returns to replying to meaningless client emails, slightly more satisfied.]

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sorry about your frigate, NiceFish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHkbEElnRb4

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 13, 2018

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Yeah, we're uh... field converting it to a submarine. Make it so it can avoid gigantic tankers instead of plowing right into them after repeated warnings from multiple ships and coast guard control right outside of major metropolitan areas. That's right.

loving idiots :cripes:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

SlyFrog posted:

[Sees email regarding Gabe come in. Moment's pause between replying to meaningless client emails, as he stares into space for .0017 billable hours:]

"Looks like the profit per partner just went up this year!"
lmao

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
A client just thanked me for responding to his questions rapidly irrespective of timezones and now I'm stalling because I don't know how to react

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alexeythegreat posted:

A client just thanked me for responding to his questions rapidly irrespective of timezones and now I'm stalling because I don't know how to react

Thank him for responding with a thank you rapidly irrespective of timezones and begin the ultimate chain of recursive e-mail correspondence that was prophecised to end the internet!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I submitted an 8 page motion to a judge yesterday when every example that’s ever been submitted in the past two years was less than two. Granted those were felony and this is misdemeanor so it’s different levels of court with completely elected judges.

It’s only got my name at the bottom, though, so I’m not sure how it’s going to pan out.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
unless you have intel indicating that your judge has a demonstrated ability and willingness to read, just do what I do and assume all state court judges are illiterate children who will never even consider looking at your motion papers

last time I was in state court, about a year and a half into the case the judge asked me in chambers if I'd ever heard of this hot new case that he thought might be on point. I had briefed that case extensively in a a motion to dismiss, summary brief, a reply brief, and a supplemental brief. we're talking probably 10 pages of briefing on my side devoted exclusively to that case, and another 10 on plaintiff's side.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I’m almost certain he’s not going to read any of it.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Soothing Vapors posted:

unless you have intel indicating that your judge has a demonstrated ability and willingness to read, just do what I do and assume all state court judges are illiterate children who will never even consider looking at your motion papers

last time I was in state court, about a year and a half into the case the judge asked me in chambers if I'd ever heard of this hot new case that he thought might be on point. I had briefed that case extensively in a a motion to dismiss, summary brief, a reply brief, and a supplemental brief. we're talking probably 10 pages of briefing on my side devoted exclusively to that case, and another 10 on plaintiff's side.

Thanks, that was my most bitter laugh this year. Sweet and sour.

Motions are mostly only good for one thing, charging by the page count

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
The standard here for anything to be filed to court is for it to be as short and succinct as humanly possible

A statement of claim over 7 pages is not good, one over 10 pages is useless
5/7 pages for appellate briefs
3/4 for cassation
2 pages to the Supreme Court (you literally name the parties and say "the big question in the case is X", for reasoning see annexes 1, 2 etc.)

Briefs to the Constitutional Court can be as long as needed, the ones screened by the clerks will be read by at least one of the judges, because there's always one judge who has to "report" the case (i.e. give a brief explanation of the facts and the positions of the parties before giving the floor to the applicant)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alexeythegreat posted:

The standard here for anything to be filed to court is for it to be as short and succinct as humanly possible

A statement of claim over 7 pages is not good, one over 10 pages is useless
5/7 pages for appellate briefs
3/4 for cassation
2 pages to the Supreme Court (you literally name the parties and say "the big question in the case is X", for reasoning see annexes 1, 2 etc.)

Briefs to the Constitutional Court can be as long as needed, the ones screened by the clerks will be read by at least one of the judges, because there's always one judge who has to "report" the case (i.e. give a brief explanation of the facts and the positions of the parties before giving the floor to the applicant)

We're actually compelled on penalty of dismissal to file a finalizing motion no less than two weeks before trial wherein the entire case is summarized in about a single page which the judge will often read when court is seated. It's actually a good thing, I guess, but it's often the only loving thing the judges bother to read out of all the motions. Which is why I've had to argue out preliminary procedural objections during main trial. So stupid.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Boss insisted I break down every factor that the court has to look at including all of the elements of the offense. It’s as succinct as possible considering that was my guideline, and it’s extremely well cited.

I’ll find out in a couple of hours i’m sure.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

My favorite fact from that is that apparently 7% of law firm leaders don’t believe lawyers at their firm experience anxiety.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Omerta posted:

My favorite fact from that is that apparently 7% of law firm leaders don’t believe lawyers at their firm experience anxiety.

Corollary: 93% know they do, but do nothing to help

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
"Anxiety is weakness leaving the body."

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
"Anxiety is weakness staying in the body and dunking on the stronger parts."

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
If it's legitimate anxiety the body has ways of shutting that down

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Hoshi posted:

this should be the thread title

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Hoshi posted:

lol

Nice piece of fish posted:

Motions are mostly only good for one thing, charging by the page count
thank god for that

they're also good for dunking on opposing counsel in passive-aggressive ways that hopefully go unnoticed by the Court

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hoshi posted:

Alcohol, suicide, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The first page and maybe a half of a motion should be for the court. Everything better be there. The other pages are so you make your record.