Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tibalt posted:

I dunno, between the abuse of reconciliation and removing the filibuster on SCOTUS nominees, I think it's effectively dead anyway.

We'll see if Schumer pulls the trigger on killing the legislative filibuster when the Democrats have a second bill they want to pass. No reason to do it if they don't take the Senate, keep the house, or win the presidency.

He won't have that choice to make if we don't take the senate, you need a majority vote to enact that change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

haveblue posted:

He won't have that choice to make if we don't take the senate, you need a majority vote to enact that change.
That should have been read as a single OR statement. If (lose Senate OR lose house OR lose presidency) THEN keep the filibuster.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That graph is drunk.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tibalt posted:

I dunno, between the abuse of reconciliation and removing the filibuster on SCOTUS nominees, I think it's effectively dead anyway.

We'll see if Schumer pulls the trigger on killing the legislative filibuster when the Democrats have a second bill they want to pass. No reason to do it if they don't take the Senate, keep the house, or win the presidency.

Edit: or, you know, get a second bill together. ACA took up a lot of time.

The next time Dems have unified government I don't believe they will be able to withstand the pressure to blow up the legislative filibuster after the Trump era.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Your Taint posted:

Regarding what?

I accidentally thought this was the politoons thread, which is typically where I keep hearing about celebrity deaths.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol at these loving graphs. Who the hell puts time on a descending y-axis? The NYT is a gigantic waste

they wanted to preserve left v right with their graph. still dumb as gently caress looking, especially since time advances downwards in it

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Who the hell puts time on a descending y-axis?

Scientists that track things changing with time, OP.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is Sinema actually an atheist?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

The biggest young republican I knew in high school figured out he was gay in college and is now one of the most awesome leftists I know. Shame them please, but also realize people are idiots when they're young and can learn.

No. It is common sense to not be a Nazi. These kids should never have the ability to go to college, be employed or contribute to society. They're done.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

dependent variable? what's that? some kind of gay thing?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah I'm not giving these assholes that much credit. As much as I went through a Libertarian Just World phase in high school, I'm not sure "Oh that was my Nazi phase, you know..." is all that common. Certainly was not in my case, I'm an OG Nazi hater.

yeah, i agree. gently caress em, least these dumbshits are getting ruined now.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

CelestialScribe posted:

No. It is common sense to not be a Nazi. These kids should never have the ability to go to college, be employed or contribute to society. They're done.

It should be pointed out that there are people who are former white supremacists/Nazis who turned their life around, renounced their former beliefs, and actively work towards dismantling those ideologies and bringing people out of them. I think they are in unique positions to turn other people around as well as redeem themselves, because it's a huge gently caress-up to make. These kids should absolutely face consequences, and there should be no benefit of the doubt when dealing with them, but if they do come around they should be given a chance to do something good with themselves (that is unless it's a hollow apology/"I'll keep my Nazi views to myself").

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

So, kids throwing a nazi solute when a photographer tells them to should be treated worse than felons, when felons already get treated like supreme poo poo. Got it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'm a scientist who tracks things changing with time, and I don't do it, and would lol at anyone who did

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

dependent variable? what's that? some kind of gay thing?

this is clearly not a case where time is the dependent variable

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

So, kids throwing a nazi solute when a photographer tells them to should be treated worse than felons, when felons already get treated like supreme poo poo. Got it.

They should be treated as Nazis. They didn’t have to do it, they chose to enthusiastically participate. gently caress ‘em.

Go find Brock Turner, I’m sure he would appreciate your crocodile tears.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

kids throwing a nazi solute when a photographer tells them to should be treated worse than felons
This but unironically.

As a Christian I strongly support forgiveness, and as a dick I strongly support face-punching as a means of encouraging sincere repentance.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1062003066675908609

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

They should be treated as Nazis. They didn’t have to do it, they chose to enthusiastically participate. gently caress ‘em.

Go find Brock Turner, I’m sure he would appreciate your crocodile tears.

Brock Turner was older and committed a violent crime, but I'm sure he'd appreciate your hyperbole.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

those kids are old enough to know what they're doing and face the appropriate consequences, gently caress em

doing it just because it's fun and seems like a joke is an extremely teenager thing but this is how these ideas get rooted in and a whole chud is born

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm pretty sure that a Junior High photo and honestly kid do really loving dumb things. Its why we don't treat them like adults because they're not adults.

The correct thing is actually engage them and maybe be able to reach out to them so that they gain some sort of better understanding on the wrongness of their actions and hopefully not repeat it.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

this is clearly not a case where time is the dependent variable

:thejoke:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Brock Turner was older and committed a violent crime, but I'm sure he'd appreciate your hyperbole.

You’re really dumb and it’s really impressive. But please, by all means, continue making a fool of yourself by going to bat for an entire graduating class of white men -1 being overt Nazis, encouraged and abetted by adults in their lives, in a nation where a Nazi murdered 11 Jewish people less than a month ago.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

If the Democrats win time slows down #alwaysvoteblue

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Hollismason posted:

I'm pretty sure that a Junior High photo and honestly kid do really loving dumb things.

Junior year in high school. They're all 16 or 17 there.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ah, gotcha. Sorry I just get a lil steamed up at the failing NYT now'n'again

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Lightning Knight posted:

You’re really dumb and it’s really impressive. But please, by all means, continue making a fool of yourself by going to bat for an entire graduating class of white men -1 being overt Nazis, encouraged and abetted by adults in their lives, in a nation where a Nazi murdered 11 Jewish people less than a month ago.

So what punishment would you want for these 13 to 14 year old children? What's the appropriate punishment?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Guillotine all those Nazi chud fuckers imo

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This but unironically.

As a Christian I strongly support forgiveness, and as a dick I strongly support face-punching as a means of encouraging sincere repentance.

There seems to be a misconception that I do not support face punching Nazis. That is very very false. I just do not support going out of your way to ruin lives of teenagers who give a nazi symbol. Shame them, tease them, but jesus gently caress its creepy when ya'll talk like this.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Hollismason posted:

So what punishment would you want for these 13 to 14 year old children? What's the appropriate punishment?

They are juniors in high school, not middle schoolers. A nice public shaming will do more than whatever the gently caress you are suggesting.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Is Sinema actually an atheist?

Yes but she rejects the label and tries not to talk about it. She was raised Mormon, attended BYU, and married a classmate from there, but I guess rejected it all, got divorced, and is now a bisexual atheist.

But before you get your hopes too high she's also a Blue Dog.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Hollismason posted:

They're juniors in high school, not junior high students.

It's kinda telling the photographer didn't take a similar picture of the girls in the class.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Unironically yes

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That's still what like 15 to 16 years old. Kids are loving stupid.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Hollismason posted:

They should all be named, shamed, and expelled.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Hollismason posted:

Throwing Nazi salutes isn't like, a normal part of teenage stupidity.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

"The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" they said, shortly before shooting the good guy with a gun to death.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Hollismason posted:

Juniors in high school are typically 16-17 years old.

Throwing a sieg heil is not some "boys will be boys" poo poo, and I'm not sure why you are so comfortable brushing it off.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I thought anti-breeder/anti-kid types were chud-adjecent.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I did some dumb poo poo in high school

Being a nazi wasn’t one of them tho

It’s common sense, even at that age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Astro7x posted:

"The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" they said, shortly before shooting the good guy with a gun to death.
To be fair, cops aren't huge fans of anyone but them having guns.

It makes it harder to murder people without consequences.