Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Leperflesh posted:

He said it gave him night terrors for a solid month.

He also used lobster's reproductive cycle as a proof of <something dumb and wrong about> human sexuality, IIRC.

I want to correct this because it is important. He claims he did not sleep for a 25 days afterwards. The record for going without sleep is 11 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Leperflesh posted:

He said it gave him night terrors for a solid month.

He also used lobster's reproductive cycle as a proof of <something dumb and wrong about> human sexuality, IIRC.

It was in the context of a discussion on the patriarchy.

He said that lobsters from hierarchies, therefore hierarchies are natural and predate human culture. This implies that he thinks unjust social hierarchies created by humans are part of the natural order, and therefore correct. But since he doesn't say that precisely, he gets to accuse critics of strawmanning him when they try to extract any meaning from his statements. The planets thing is his Next Level Take on the same issue.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Serf posted:

i'll see you the wrong lobster analogy and raise you the new hotness:

https://twitter.com/shujaxhaider/status/1058359188278120448

Is this the modern version of claiming that, like, your greatness and correctness are foretold in the stars or something? Like, "That star over there governs my fate and it is ascending in the house of Mars, so clearly I will be victorious in battle and you're a moron for doubting me."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nuns with Guns posted:

It was in the context of a discussion on the patriarchy.

He said that lobsters from hierarchies, therefore hierarchies are natural and predate human culture. This implies that he thinks unjust social hierarchies created by humans are part of the natural order, and therefore correct. But since he doesn't say that precisely, he gets to accuse critics of strawmanning him when they try to extract any meaning from his statements. The planets thing is his Next Level Take on the same issue.

The association of 'natural' and 'good' is always a stupid one. Y'know what's natural? Eating raw food and wearing no clothes.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Sage Genesis posted:

Is this the modern version of claiming that, like, your greatness and correctness are foretold in the stars or something? Like, "That star over there governs my fate and it is ascending in the house of Mars, so clearly I will be victorious in battle and you're a moron for doubting me."

jupiter is bigger than mercury and this is why communism is bad

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Serf posted:

jupiter is bigger than mercury and this is why communism is bad

I feel like there's an Exalted plothook in here somewhere.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sage Genesis posted:

No, it's much simpler than that. He's not suggesting secret knowledge that can be divined by mystical methods; I swear half the time when people try to criticize Peterson they make him sound much more interesting than he actually is.

He's saying that social inequality is normal because some physical things are not equal to other physical things. A better writer with the same awful premise would have just said "domination of the weak by the strong is as inevitable as gravity," but that would ruin the plausible deniability.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 12, 2018

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

He also understands 'equal' to mean 'literally identical' and 'unequal' to mean 'differences exist.'

This conflation is the basic justification for a hierarchical, unjust society that appears in his work as far as I can tell. After that it's all about arguing that every inequality is justified by a specific difference.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Mors Rattus posted:

I think my new life goal is to argue that nothing I do can be wrong because of the way rocks move in curves in space.
Astrology Rules Everything Around Me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mors Rattus posted:

The association of 'natural' and 'good' is always a stupid one. Y'know what's natural? Eating raw food and wearing no clothes.

Steak tartare and oysters in the buff sounds like a great evening to me.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I remember back when I wasn't filler on an TG forum that I met Luke Crane, and described him to a friend. His response was "Oh, I thought that was just a character he acted out online, I didn't think he really acted that way."

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Mors Rattus posted:

Shockingly, that's not even true! Cooking predates homo sapiens by something around a million years or so. Early hominids developed it and it let them eat basically anything.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

FishFood posted:

Shockingly, that's not even true! Cooking predates homo sapiens by something around a million years or so. Early hominids developed it and it let them eat basically anything.
Clothes predate H. sapiens as well. Clear evidence of sewn clothes show up close enough to the emergence of anatomically modern humans that they either predate humans, or were essentially humans first unique invention.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Clothes predate H. sapiens as well. Clear evidence of sewn clothes show up close enough to the emergence of anatomically modern humans that they either predate humans, or were essentially humans first unique invention.

cooking, clothing, basically all melee and ranged weapons to make fighting easier, and complex religious rituals usually putting women at the center of some form of cosmology and all that all predate 'us' as far as homo sapiens go, yea. So anyone saying that our natural state is some misogynistic brawling raw meat eating monkey man is full of crap. We're the pampered baby evolution that survived because we were smart enough to take all the good poo poo everyone else already was doing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It wouldn't matter even if we did gobble down raw meat in caves recently; biological determinism id fundamentally horseshit. Instincts do not have moral value. We can choose how to behave, and therefore we must choose to behave well.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

sexpig by night posted:

cooking, clothing, basically all melee and ranged weapons to make fighting easier, and complex religious rituals usually putting women at the center of some form of cosmology and all that all predate 'us' as far as homo sapiens go, yea. So anyone saying that our natural state is some misogynistic brawling raw meat eating monkey man is full of crap. We're the pampered baby evolution that survived because we were smart enough to take all the good poo poo everyone else already was doing.
Bows don't predate H. sapiens and our understanding of the religions and social organization of non-modern Homo, including early H. sapiens, is shaky as best, and what exists points more towards significant diversity than it does to any particular standard. And H. sapiens is a pretty rugged species in our own right - we got a legacy from earlier humans, but they were competition as often as not.

However, the underlying argument is definitely correct - there's no evidence that patriarchal hierarchies are more "natural" than any other way of generally organizing ourselves, and there's been no point where H. sapiens has not used tools and fire to modify ourselves and our environment.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Even if there were a powerful biological drive to create paternal societies, that would in no way justify them, any more than the powerful biological drive to mate justifies rape. We have the capacity and understanding to overcome and moderate instincts.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I have had a profound biological incentive to mate for a long rear end time but have always followed strict rules of informed consent. Like to the point an ex got mad about it.

I also have a biological need to eat but no one thinks it’s special that I don’t shank a dude on the train for his shawarma or whatever.

Hot take : burn the patriarchy????

Really hating being a white het cis dude. Like what the gently caress. Just stop being terrible. It’s not hard. I do it all the time. gently caress

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Please don't hate yourself. What's necessary is humility, not self-loathing; if nothing else, the latter is still all about you.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Xiahou Dun posted:

Really hating being a white het cis dude. Like what the gently caress. Just stop being terrible. It’s not hard. I do it all the time. gently caress

Legit? This is part of how the far right has radicalized a lot of people. Surreptitiously signal boost the most divisive and hostile "Actually Kill All Men" types, cultivate an increasingly hostile culture in social media where everyone is at everyone else's throat over drummed-up issues, poke and prod all sides until rolling firestorms start, go find the white guys who've collapsed into exhausted self-loathing or begun to get sick of "those goddamn SJWs" (that the alt-right turns into unwitting sock puppets), and stoke that into spite and anger.

We legit live in a world where Gamergate was a huge part of what made Nazis claw their way back into being a relevant international threat. Remember, that poo poo started on 4chan, not long after /pol/ was re-opened. They were watching and taking notes, at minimum - and even 4chan's regular users realized that a bunch of the racism and reactionary -gate poo poo was from /pol/ sock puppets and pushed back until everyone sane just gave up and left.

So what I'm saying is, for real, from one white guy to another? Don't do that poo poo. Don't adopt that guilt, don't internalize that venom, just continue being a decent person and letting your own nature speak for itself. Not only that but a lot of these people are just teenagers and college kids who've been whipped into a frenzy by the actual chuds exploiting the generational insecurity that's been looming like the Sword of Damocles over anybody born after 1985.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Xiahou Dun posted:

Beating yourself up will accomplish literally nothing. It will, in fact, accomplish negative amounts of things. Here is the Straight White Male Programme (or at least the version of it that I follow):
- Recognize and confront your own internal biases
- Donate to social justice causes (if you can afford to)
- Call out bigotry where you see it (but not in a performative way)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A ton of the cishet white men who keep going on about how terrible cishet white men are have turned out to be various flavours of woke sex creeps or covering for them as well. It's a toxic attitude all around, and probably a perfect case of how guilt and self-loathing can just be an expression of narcissism.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It's almost like being a well adjusted human that's aware of prejudice both systemically and individually and takes action to check it doesn't require extensive self-flagellation or something.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

neaden posted:

I want to correct this because it is important. He claims he did not sleep for a 25 days afterwards. The record for going without sleep is 11 days.
Jordan Peterson: "Be precise in your speech!"
Also Jordan Peterson: (ridiculous hyperbole, bizarre and vague analogies, and poo poo which never happened)

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Warthur posted:

Jordan Peterson: "Be precise in your speech!"
Also Jordan Peterson: (ridiculous hyperbole, bizarre and vague analogies, and poo poo which never happened)

The dude is one of the last serious Jungians doing talks. So in his mind this is all discussion makes prefect sense-- he's talking about these universal archetypes that everyone should be able to follow. He's also the best working example of why Jungianism and Freudianism are non-scientific garbage. Those are sort of cool concepts for a video game (i.b. Persona) but they aren't anything that fits in with observed reality.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A ton of the cishet white men who keep going on about how terrible cishet white men are have turned out to be various flavours of woke sex creeps or covering for them as well. It's a toxic attitude all around, and probably a perfect case of how guilt and self-loathing can just be an expression of narcissism.

When I did Occupy I saw that there's a bunch of really toxic leftists who use identity and a cover/excuse to make it All About Them.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Elephant Parade posted:

Beating yourself up will accomplish literally nothing. It will, in fact, accomplish negative amounts of things. Here is the Straight White Male Programme (or at least the version of it that I follow):
- Recognize and confront your own internal biases
- Donate to social justice causes (if you can afford to)
- Call out bigotry where you see it (but not in a performative way)

-signal boost minority voices
-support minority creators
-leverage your privilege to promote those being oppressed

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MollyMetroid posted:

-signal boost minority voices
-support minority creators
-leverage your privilege to promote those being oppressed

Yeah that's exactly the kind of thing that Occupy did, and look at how it turned out.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah that's exactly the kind of thing that Occupy did, and look at how it turned out.

are you REALLY gonna take a stand against the idea of supporting the marginalized

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Reminder for lurkers: This is a thread about the tabletop rpg and board game industry.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mors Rattus posted:

are you REALLY gonna take a stand against the idea of supporting the marginalized

No you can absolutely do these things and should but they don't solve the structural problems. It's not an either/or, I'm saying you can't stop there. To bring it around to this thread, you won't fix the problems with the toxic grog community by buying Ehdrigohr.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Plutonis posted:

Reminder for lurkers: This is a thread about the tabletop rpg and board game industry.

Tabletop rpgs are serious business

Serf
May 5, 2011

No you can absolutely do these things and should but they don't solve the structural problems. It's not an either/or, I'm saying you can't stop there. To bring it around to this thread, you won't fix the problems with the toxic grog community by buying Ehdrigohr.

by all means, lay the solution on us brother

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

You can do a lot of good by purchasing products made by marginalized people, calling out for companies to hire sensitivity readers, organizing boycotts of companies that refuse to do so, and promoting the voices and works of marginalized activists in the gaming community, while also decrying the actions of bad actors. Like, I don't see any reason for you to call out this kind of action unless you're actually a poo poo head? No, it may not be a complete solution but it's a critical part of any viable long-term growth in the community.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Serf posted:

by all means, lay the solution on us brother

You already know what it is, Serf. It's the hard work of organizing and confronting systemic capital. It's canvassing and phone banking for progressives, it's joining local organizations that strengthen the community, not supporting corporatists, it's all that other poo poo work, and it's a ton harder then throwing bucks at a PoC or retweeting the latest police brutality on the TL which is stuff that fits comfortably in the framework of capitalism and social media slacktivism. Now I know it's beyond most people to do this so I'm not haranguing anyone who can't. I'm not saying those things are bad to do - they are good. They are also stopgaps that don't fix the actual problems. I literally watched Occupy sit around and "signal boost marginalized voices" right up until the cops cracked their loving heads and it left a real impact on me.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

You already know what it is, Serf. It's the hard work of organizing and confronting systemic capital. It's canvassing and phone banking for progressives, it's joining local organizations that strengthen the community, not supporting corporatists, it's all that other poo poo work, and it's a ton harder then throwing bucks at a PoC or retweeting the latest police brutality on the TL which is stuff that fits comfortably in the framework of capitalism and social media slacktivism. Now I know it's beyond most people to do this so I'm not haranguing anyone who can't. I'm not saying those things are bad to do - they are good. They are also stopgaps that don't fix the actual problems. I literally watched Occupy sit around and "signal boost marginalized voices" right up until the cops cracked their loving heads and it left a real impact on me.

Plutonis posted:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm not a lurker, I post regularly in this thread. And I'm responding to a question, if you guys drop it I will too.

Serf
May 5, 2011

seems like you're pulling in some unrelated baggage of your own into a discussion about elfgames and the shittiness of the community

Plutonis posted:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The problems with the RPG industry can't be fixed within the industry, they are universal to capitalism and require a systemic political change across the entire globe. There, we're done. Hope that's not too much baggage for y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

The problems with the RPG industry can't be fixed within the industry, they are universal to capitalism and require a systemic political change across the entire globe. There, we're done. Hope that's not too much baggage for y'all

The question is about how people can use their privilege to help marginalized people within the industry. While yes, destroying capitalism will help, it's a little bit beyond the reach of individual actors within the analog games community, or heck, beyond the community as a whole considering its small size and reach. I'm not saying that people shouldn't work against capitalism and other forms of systematic oppression, and I would, in fact, argue that games can be a useful framework for thinking about creating post-oppressive societies and imagining the road map to getting there.

I'm also saying that the best thing that a cishet white dude can do to help marginalized folks in the analog games community and industry is to support and signal boost them. If they want to work on the larger systemic flaws of our society, that's also a worthwhile activity, but, again, outside of the scope of the current avenue of discussion. It is possible to focus on improving the status of marginalized folks within one's community without fixing things globally. Also, removing capitalism won't necessary erase racism, homophobia, transphobia, albeism, anti-semitism, Islamophobia, or any of the other vectors of oppression that our society operates on. Those issues can be addressed through greater community awareness and the elevation of marginalized voices.