Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bewilderment posted:

The Flyers fight is an awesome fight that really plays to the strength of the gameplay in SpiderMan and makes you feel like "wow I'm really doing this, I can play like the floor is lava" but the HeavyWeights fight is kinda lame in comparison. Gameplay-wise the last boss is kinda disappointing too, doesn't really compare to how awesome the flyers felt.

The final fight against Mr Negative also really overstays its welcome, despite some cool gameplay moments in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The final fight against Mr Negative also really overstays its welcome, despite some cool gameplay moments in it.

I really liked that fight. Using Web Blossom when there's like 50 guys on screen and the system is dropping frames as it tries to keep up was awesome.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Necrothatcher posted:

I really liked that fight. Using Web Blossom when there's like 50 guys on screen and the system is dropping frames as it tries to keep up was awesome.

It's a good fight, it just drags out some phases way longer than they really need to be.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think I’m somewhere between half and 2/3 done with the game and so far all the boss fights have been “press dodge when the game tells you to, then press triangle or throw something when the game tells you to, then mash the punch button until it tells you to press dodge again,” are the Sinister Six fights better? I’m just at the point where they arrive on scene and have been kind of dreading six more of this game’s boss fights.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing Tearaway Unfolded, a Vita game that was ported to the PS4, now that I've beaten Spider-Man.

It's really cute so far with a charming story where the idea is you have been given a goal, get the Messenger to the Hole in the Sky to seal it up, but the narrators curating the story, a man and a woman, keep adding little things, like enemies and crows, to keep things interesting. When you do get to the Hole at the end of the first world, the narrators start to fall out just as you start to finish the story. The woman gets restless, considering this a crap ending, and just goes "Oh, no, I see where this is going..." and intervenes by spawning an enemy in the hole to knock you off course, while the other Narrator protests her actions. Also you unlock papercraft figures that you can print off and make. :3:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I think I’m somewhere between half and 2/3 done with the game and so far all the boss fights have been “press dodge when the game tells you to, then press triangle or throw something when the game tells you to, then mash the punch button until it tells you to press dodge again,” are the Sinister Six fights better? I’m just at the point where they arrive on scene and have been kind of dreading six more of this game’s boss fights.

They're all basically like this, even the last fight (seriously, it's really dull) except for the Flyers fight which is cool.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Everyone's seen the Smash Bros Ultimate story mode trailer with everyone dying to lasers at this point, but a YouTube video pointed out a couple of tiny little things about it that I adore, because they actually seem to honor game mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WShCN-AYHqA

Specifically, it's that the two outright joke deaths actually have some game-related logic to them, and might have been some of the smartest ideas in the cast; they just happened not to work.

1. Snake's hiding in a box and gets chumped, which is a pretty great bit. But he's clearly on the cliff face the whole thing started on; the place that at this point everyone's fleeing from as fast as possible. He's actually the last person we see on that cliff, and a beam only hits him after it's gone through the fastest and most dodge-heavy characters in the game, so he successfully hid, really well. And then to top it off, he seems to vaporize slower than most others. Because the beam had to go through the box first, just like in both MGS and Smash.

2. Along with Villager and Duck Hunt panicking, Wii Fit Trainer's just doing yoga. But she might actually be the best Smash player in the Smash cast, because what she's doing isn't just a move, the exact point she gets hit on is an invincibility frame. Doesn't work out for her, but a really good effort.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I very much doubt the invincibility frame thing is what the creators of the cutscene were going for. It was very much Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt Duo, and Villager being like “welp, we got nothing.” That being said...

One thing that I like about that cutscene is that while the first time I watched it I thought everyone got clowned, now that I’ve seen it a few times I like that everyone does about as good a job as they could have under the circumstances. Pit and Dark Pit successfully maneuver away from the beams until they lose their power of flight. Falco could very well have escaped if he only had an extra 10 seconds or so. It doesn’t make the characters look like chumps, but instead shows them doing the best job they can avoiding an inescapable fate.

It’s also genuinely a little bit shocking and sad at some points. The Duck Hunt duck could probably have survived a little bit longer, but wasn’t willing to leave its friend behind. Sonic could definitely have outrun those beams for much longer if he hadn’t tried to save Pikachu. The Inklings sounded so scared right before they dove into their ink.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I can't believe every single Nintendo character is loving dead.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Ariong posted:

I very much doubt the invincibility frame thing is what the creators of the cutscene were going for. It was very much Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt Duo, and Villager being like “welp, we got nothing.”

I would absolutely bet that it waa intentional. Trainer does the exact same exact pose that gives the invincibility frames, and Smash is known for digging deep for nods. The Cloud reveal in 4 did a callback to him mentioning getting seasick in FF VII.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

1stGear posted:

I can't wait for Kirby to save everyone!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

1stGear posted:

It's time for Waluigi to step up!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ariong posted:

I very much doubt the invincibility frame thing is what the creators of the cutscene were going for. It was very much Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt Duo, and Villager being like “welp, we got nothing.” That being said...

Yeah, the data seems to check out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzBlN-ceV8U&t=35s

Cleretic posted:

Everyone's seen the Smash Bros Ultimate story mode trailer with everyone dying to lasers at this point, but a YouTube video pointed out a couple of tiny little things about it that I adore, because they actually seem to honor game mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WShCN-AYHqA

Specifically, it's that the two outright joke deaths actually have some game-related logic to them, and might have been some of the smartest ideas in the cast; they just happened not to work.

1. Snake's hiding in a box and gets chumped, which is a pretty great bit. But he's clearly on the cliff face the whole thing started on; the place that at this point everyone's fleeing from as fast as possible. He's actually the last person we see on that cliff, and a beam only hits him after it's gone through the fastest and most dodge-heavy characters in the game, so he successfully hid, really well. And then to top it off, he seems to vaporize slower than most others. Because the beam had to go through the box first, just like in both MGS and Smash.

2. Along with Villager and Duck Hunt panicking, Wii Fit Trainer's just doing yoga. But she might actually be the best Smash player in the Smash cast, because what she's doing isn't just a move, the exact point she gets hit on is an invincibility frame. Doesn't work out for her, but a really good effort.

Still can't get over how good Link's shield is.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The Virgin Reboot: You get a grenade launcher

The Chad Rise of the Tomb Raider: You get a trebuchet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sxS-T7IEeE

And then you team up with your pal to take down a helicopter with it

https://i.imgur.com/QNISU8h.mp4

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Would you believe I've beaten that game three times and never knew you could use any weapon besides the bow to detonate the fireballs. Made that final part so much harder on myself for no dang reason.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tomb Raider will never be Tomb Raider till you throw an axe at a helicopter and blow it up.

They need that and dinosaurs.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

The Virgin Reboot: You get a grenade launcher

The Chad Rise of the Tomb Raider: You get a trebuchet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sxS-T7IEeE

And then you team up with your pal to take down a helicopter with it

https://i.imgur.com/QNISU8h.mp4

Well, I'm looking the gently caress forward to this, I just got the game when it went on sale a week or so ago. (Paused rn because I also got The Talos Principle)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, the data seems to check out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzBlN-ceV8U&t=35s

Still can't get over how good Link's shield is.

Seriously. The ground is vaporized, spaceships turn to dust, mythical space armor is like paper, but that shield can stop anything, if not for the force behind them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Morpheus posted:

Seriously. The ground is vaporized, spaceships turn to dust, mythical space armor is like paper, but that shield can stop anything, if not for the force behind them.

The implication is that the hylian shield despite being from hundreds of years in the past is just so well made that no modern shield can stand up to it and the way that it’s shown in game is that the second strongest shield can only take like 3 of the death mecha lasers before breaking while the hylian shield can take something like 37 laser blasts

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Not sure which thread this goes in.

Yakuza 0 has Shogi I can play. I've never played before but it's been a thing I've wanted to do. Turns out I'm super loving bad at it

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You can get all the Completion Points for Shogi by just beating Challenge 1 over and over again using the same strategy. Blackjack and Mah-Jong, now those are a bitch.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The most humiliated I’ve ever been by a game was when I ran into the old shogi player in Y0, accepted his challenge but told him I’m a beginner, heard him say “great, then I’ll try to play like a beginner too!” then watched in mute horror like :stonk: as he completely dismantled me in minutes

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Kind of an odd post for this thread, but I'd like to solicit peoples' favorite game glitches or level design oversights, especially helpful ones. In particular I'm thinking things like:
  • In Symphony of the Night, if you morph and then unmorph in midair, you can do a divekick even if you don't have the double-jump artifact. This lets you bounce off of enemies/candles for a little extra height.
  • In Super Metroid, if you morph as you land, you can retain running speed when in morphball, which lets you slide under gates before they close.
  • Also in Super Metroid, the way the speed booster is implemented allows you to get "boost shadows" in a much shorter distance than intended if you press inputs correctly.
  • In several Mario games, you can get embedded into walls and ejected to the right (which lets you skip several annoying levels).
  • Ori and the Blind Forest's "bash" ability can be used to hurl Ori in one direction provided there's something available to throw in the other direction -- typically an enemy or bullet. Creative use of this can allow you to circumvent a ton of the game's challenges. But you can also "double-bash" a single target, which lets you throw it in the same direction that Ori moves...so you can then bash it again, which basically lets you fly.
  • In Mega Man 2, when you unpause the game, Mega Man does a little teleport animation (probably to represent how he changes his active weapon). You have invincibility frames during this animation, and can spam pause/unpause to phase through enemy projectiles. It also resets your vertical velocity, so you can use it to slow-fall.

Got anything like that?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Kind of an odd post for this thread, but I'd like to solicit peoples' favorite game glitches or level design oversights, especially helpful ones. In particular I'm thinking things like:
  • In Symphony of the Night, if you morph and then unmorph in midair, you can do a divekick even if you don't have the double-jump artifact. This lets you bounce off of enemies/candles for a little extra height.
  • In Super Metroid, if you morph as you land, you can retain running speed when in morphball, which lets you slide under gates before they close.
  • Also in Super Metroid, the way the speed booster is implemented allows you to get "boost shadows" in a much shorter distance than intended if you press inputs correctly.
  • In several Mario games, you can get embedded into walls and ejected to the right (which lets you skip several annoying levels).
  • Ori and the Blind Forest's "bash" ability can be used to hurl Ori in one direction provided there's something available to throw in the other direction -- typically an enemy or bullet. Creative use of this can allow you to circumvent a ton of the game's challenges. But you can also "double-bash" a single target, which lets you throw it in the same direction that Ori moves...so you can then bash it again, which basically lets you fly.
  • In Mega Man 2, when you unpause the game, Mega Man does a little teleport animation (probably to represent how he changes his active weapon). You have invincibility frames during this animation, and can spam pause/unpause to phase through enemy projectiles. It also resets your vertical velocity, so you can use it to slow-fall.

Got anything like that?

This would probably be a pretty good source.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The most humiliated I’ve ever been by a game was when I ran into the old shogi player in Y0, accepted his challenge but told him I’m a beginner, heard him say “great, then I’ll try to play like a beginner too!” then watched in mute horror like :stonk: as he completely dismantled me in minutes

Yeah like holy gently caress. I thought there would be kids gloves but nope.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Big favorite of mine is in GYA Vice City with the rhino tank. If you put the low gravity cheat on and fire the turret backwards you can fly with the tank.

Don’t know if that counts for ya but it’s one of my favorite “weird things”

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Grand Yacht Adventures sounds dope as hell.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

That's a good thread but it's more for big things and not small tricks (but a thread directly about small tips would be cool, though it'd probably overlap a lot with this thread, the speedrunning thread, and the 'what should I know before I play this game' thread)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh, well in that case: In the original Super Mario Bros. pausing cancels Mario's momentum. After you unpause, he falls straight down. I don't know about the practical applications of this, but you can use it to screw over player 2.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kind of an odd post for this thread, but I'd like to solicit peoples' favorite game glitches or level design oversights, especially helpful ones.

Got anything like that?

In Super Double Dragon if you were just the right distance from an enemy and offset from their plane at just the right amount you could wail on them for dozens and dozens of hits before the game righted itself and the enemy died. It was fun and cathartic and also racked up the points (I forget if points mattered -- earning lives maybe?).

Edit: The same basic thing applied in the dojo level where you could trap an enemy in between the back and forth swing of a double-ended punching bag. I could get those ones to last whole minutes.

Lobok has a new favorite as of 03:02 on Nov 13, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

In Super Double Dragon if you were just the right distance from an enemy and offset from their plane at just the right amount you could wail on them for dozens and dozens of hits before the game righted itself and the enemy died. It was fun and cathartic and also racked up the points (I forget if points mattered -- earning lives maybe?).

Ha, nice. Reminds me of Gunpoint, where you can pounce on enemies to knock them down and pin them, then punch them to knock them out. And then just keep on punching, as long as you like. I think after like 10 punches they count as killed instead of knocked out, but you can keep going indefinitely. There's no point beyond self-expression, but isn't that point enough?

Der-Wreck posted:

Big favorite of mine is in GYA Vice City with the rhino tank. If you put the low gravity cheat on and fire the turret backwards you can fly with the tank.

Don’t know if that counts for ya but it’s one of my favorite “weird things”

Oh yeah, that's a good one. Nothing quite like a flying tank! I think I first learned about that from the Freelance Astronauts. They also had a modded Half-Life 2 run which gave Gordon a "kick" move. Turns out you can kick the hoverboat while riding it, which has similar effect as the flying tank.

Thanks, now I have another thread to follow, there's some funny stuff in there. But I'm more focused on the "this is a weird little edge case and it's useful" things. The context is that I want someday to write my own Metroidvania and I'd love it if all of the powerups/new abilities had both an overt use and also a secret abuse that can be used to do things you aren't "supposed" to be able to do.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Yeah that's pretty much why I played one round of shogi and decided the minigame wasn't for me and hosed off to do more cabaret czar instead.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

RareAcumen posted:

Tomb Raider will never be Tomb Raider till you throw an axe at a helicopter and blow it up.

They need that and dinosaurs.
:hmmyes:

Also I really like that Fire Emblem Heroes keeps Sully's best battle line from Awakening ("I'll kill you twice!" :black101:)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This was a great boss fight when I did it in Metal Gear Solid for the PS1.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

They also had a modded Half-Life 2 run which gave Gordon a "kick" move. Turns out you can kick the hoverboat while riding it, which has similar effect as the flying tank.

Thanks, now I have another thread to follow, there's some funny stuff in there. But I'm more focused on the "this is a weird little edge case and it's useful" things. The context is that I want someday to write my own Metroidvania and I'd love it if all of the powerups/new abilities had both an overt use and also a secret abuse that can be used to do things you aren't "supposed" to be able to do.

In Half-Life 2 there's the Nova Prospekt turret battle. You have to fight off a wave of enemies using these mobile gun turrets covering the entrances to the room, but the turrets can fall over and stop working. There's actually two different ways to cheese it - one, put the turrets back in the closets you found them in, and they almost can't be knocked over, or two, make a big pile of crap to use as a staircase and climb to this high balcony where the enemies can barely reach you, thus allowing you to engage them at your leisure.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Got anything like that?

In the first Mega Man (maybe also a couple later ones?) pausing and unpausing the game removed the invincibility period of bosses, which made killing a few bosses much easier. Most notably the Yellow Devil was weak to the weapon with the most reliable big hitbox in the game, meaning you could kill it super quickly rather than having to wait for its annoying blob-phase to end multiple times.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The Yellow Devil is one of the most tedious, lovely boss fights ever designed, and it's baffling to me that they just kept bringing it back.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Rollersnake posted:

The Yellow Devil is one of the most tedious, lovely boss fights ever designed, and it's baffling to me that they just kept bringing it back.

Seriously, it's the worst thing. I got to the Black Devil in X5 and stopped playing that game there and then.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Got anything like that?

Yo, Symphony of the Night you can slowly no-clip out of the castle and just fly around the edges having a grand old time. You can even get into the starting forest or find a glitched up version of the outer wall. That's definitely one of my favorite glitches. Once I found out what causes the miss-tiles (the hallway), I began exploring each hallway and trying to glitch through them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GPW2NBFd-I&t=335s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
More people need to play Tearaway Unfolded. It has a great sense of scale, like using the properties of wind and water to part a sea to escape enemies (the mechanic is introduced holding back tides on beaches so you can cross safely), or using a paper airplane to fly across an ocean. Also the papercraft aesthetic is really nice, and the writing is interesting and funny. Also you unlock new moves largely by breaking poo poo early on- you figure out how to jump when you get catapulted to the Hole in the Sky, but fail to reach it and plummet miles down and crumple your legs - then you can use the new folds to jump under your own power.

It's a really good and charming game.