Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

Don't most white people read the main characters in Anime as white, since Japanese animators don't use American stereotypes when animating people from their own country (because why would they)? That's what I do until they do something weird with their shoes or an actual white person shows up and I'm like "I'd call that racist, except we nuked two of their cities so they can do what they want."

There's also that anime, even though it escapes the black and white conventions of manga, most often just has all characters have "white" skin.

I think I've only ever seen one anime where a character had dark skin and it's because she's from some specific region I can't think of the name of right now, while all the other characters, though they are all Japanese, have white skin

Not that that excuses the racism of the chuds of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Principal Hellmann
Jul 29, 2006
"I'm sending you to dentention FOREVER, LIEMAN!"

mallratcal posted:

I loved He-Man and She-Ra when I was a child. I had almost the entire run of figures for both lines, but I can honestly say I haven't spent a minute thinking about either since the He-Man reboot got cancelled in 2004 (it was great btw).

I also thought the She-Ra trailer looked good so I'll give it a shot.

I still get a kick out of He-Man and She Ra and all those Filmation shows.. but seriously they were cheesy as hell and incredibly cheap.

but facts never stopped these assholes from arguing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

mallratcal posted:

Good on Erik also lol animegate and toongate. Going to be real funny seeing full grown men crying about She-Ra.

Den of Geek has an article about She-Ra and queer representation (ie. two female characters are in a relationship) and the Facebook link to it is a loving trashfire of grown men tears.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Skwirl posted:

Don't most white people read the main characters in Anime as white, since Japanese animators don't use American stereotypes when animating people from their own country (because why would they)? That's what I do until they do something weird with their shoes or an actual white person shows up and I'm like "I'd call that racist, except we nuked two of their cities so they can do what they want."

Japanese people in Anime

Chinese people in Anime

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Americans in anime

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Personally the reason I never read anime people as asian as a kid was because they all had blonde/red/brown hair. If all the characters in Sailor Moon had jet black hair I probably woulda figured it out.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

This person has obviously done no esearch in these panels. There is absolutely NO BUILDING in Mission, Texas that looks like that. It's an insanely small town, ICE would be located in either McAllen or Edinburg. :colbert:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
From that Erik Larsen thread

https://twitter.com/AndrewZollweg/status/1061746697250820097?s=19

"I was excited by the potential in the most used thematic thing in comics" - a smart and reasonable man

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

Personally the reason I never read anime people as asian as a kid was because they all had blonde/red/brown hair. If all the characters in Sailor Moon had jet black hair I probably woulda figured it out.

At least that part starts to make sense after you've seen a couple and realize that hair color often denotes personality type in anime

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

site posted:

At least that part starts to make sense after you've seen a couple and realize that hair color often denotes personality type in anime

Also a strong element of "when you're animating on a budget, very distinctive hair keeps everyone recognizable on the cheap".

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

Which is another od the things that doesn't work in manga, because everyone has black hair or not black hair until you get a color page

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Which is another od the things that doesn't work in manga, because everyone has black hair or not black hair until you get a color page

And half the time the color it is was the color you didn't expect

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Then sometimes the author just forgets or the anime adaptation just picks one themselves.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Principal Hellmann posted:

My other point is that Iron Sights is the worst goddamn comic I've ever seen. I don't even know where to start. From the boring try hard dialogue. From all of the political stuff thats in non-political comics (theres a big old 'joke' about how unions are bad.) From the ugliest art I've ever seen.

De gustibus and all that but from what I've seen of Iron Sights it reminds me of the comics you'd run into when you go to local comic shows and walk along the vendors tables / artists alleys and see all the people trying to sell "issue 1" of their self-published series except that I would feel bad for those people.

(Note that for the record I love self-published / small press / indie comics and can forgive a lot art-wise as long as something is being brought to the table)

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
wait, how/why is Comicsgate dead? is there a good explainer somewhere?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Youtube loves "________ Ending Explained!" videos so I'm sure you'll find something there.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Barry Convex posted:

wait, how/why is Comicsgate dead? is there a good explainer somewhere?

Ethan is breaking away. D&C deleted his Twitter ahead of the nuisance lawsuit he filed against Mark Waid, and the suit itself will end up being a big money pit for him. The rest are still there and will still keep trying to make this a thing, but the momentum is lost for the moment.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Gavok posted:

Den of Geek has an article about She-Ra and queer representation (ie. two female characters are in a relationship) and the Facebook link to it is a loving trashfire of grown men tears.

Against better judgment I took a look. There was also a lot of "I can't jerk off to her anymore!" Which I wasn't expecting.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Nuns with Guns posted:

Ethan is breaking away. D&C deleted his Twitter ahead of the nuisance lawsuit he filed against Mark Waid, and the suit itself will end up being a big money pit for him. The rest are still there and will still keep trying to make this a thing, but the momentum is lost for the moment.

Plus he got to make his stupid comic book and it's pretty much poo poo to everyone's agreement.
And also everyone they have tried to recruit tells them to gently caress off, including Frank Cho.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm pretty happy that my hometown girl Kate Leth is soneone they're afraid of.

How dumb can you be to think anime is more SJW than it ever was? It's not like queer characters are new and you still have tons of fanservice for their so important boners.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That perving on girls is such an industry standard that the community has dubbed it fanservice i think is as good an indication as any that the anime industry is not being run by, or really catering to for that matter, the evil sjws

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What? Comics have fan service to, that’s what everyone calls it. Is anime the first time you’ve ever heard that term? Because comics was the first place I heard it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

What? Comics have fan service to, that’s what everyone calls it. Is anime the first time you’ve ever heard that term? Because comics was the first place I heard it.

site posted:

I have never heard the term fanservice used in that context regarding western comics/cartoons

site posted:

if you want to change the narrative you do you but please dont lie about what i said to do it thx

Well here’s the first three posts so if you think I’m changing the narrative go ahead. I sure ain’t lying about what you said.

Doesn’t look like it tho

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 13, 2018

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

twistedmentat posted:

How dumb can you be to think anime is more SJW than it ever was? It's not like queer characters are new and you still have tons of fanservice for their so important boners.

probably worms in their brains that make every problem that.

Not bothering to read their poo poo and just predicting based on what poo poo I've seen chuds say, I'd imagine it's less at the industry and more the Western fanbase who are making videos on how they'd wish anime would be less creepy and stupid.
I've also heard of some of the controversy, which only incredibly stupid people take seriously, that Crunchyroll is funding a Western made magical girl show with diversity of writers and characters and that takes money away from licensing more little girl harem shows or whatever they want Crunchyroll to put on their channel.

It's not really relevant to the thread about creeps and grifters in Western comics.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah and sometimes I've heard it used to mean references to nerdy stuff.
It's a pretty poor argument.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 12, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I would be very careful with the idea of the western fan base as some enlightened force pushing back against the creepy Japanese. That’s a little racist.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

CharlestheHammer posted:

I would be very careful with the idea of the western fan base as some enlightened force pushing back against the creepy Japanese. That’s a little racist.

Transwoman youtuber pedantic romantic goes into detail about how you can criticize anime's sexual harassment problem or other issues without criticizing Japenese culture in general. She also made a good video criticizing crunchyroll without capitulating to chuds.
I get the feeling that someone like her can actually voice her opinion and criticize Goblin Slayer and its fans is what would be the main problem chuds would have.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 13, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Transwoman youtuber pedantic romantic goes into detail about how you can criticize anime's sexual harassment problem or other issues without criticizing Japenese culture in general. She also made a good video criticizing crunchyroll without capitulating to chuds.
I get the feeling that someone like her can actually voice her opinion and criticize Goblin Slayer and its fans is what would be the main problem chuds would have.

Oh I’m not saying they don’t have their problems but I feel like we have similar issues with our own push back just like they do. Like creepy comics are an issue in both mediums and have their own groups pushing back on them. Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t push back but we aren’t the only ones.

I mean as long as Frank Cho and Greg Land are a thing we can’t get to high and mighty.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CharlestheHammer posted:

I have never heard the term fanservice used in that context regarding western comics/cartoons

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

site posted:

Yeah I heard it first in the 90s before I ever really knew anything about anime. When rear end and tits poses ran loving rampant among comics. I mean it’s still a thing but comics took in the 90s took it to a comical level. I don’t know where it originated from but I think even TV shows use it now.

I know people used it about Harley Quinn in the animated series.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Yeah and sometimes I've heard it used to mean references to nerdy stuff.
It's a pretty poor argument.

to be clear, im not talking about fan service, as in a playful nod to hardcore fans like deep dives in star trek lore or whatever, i'm specifically talking about "fanservice", no spaces, a term which refers to scenes in which girls (most often under 18) are placed in overtly sexual situations to satisfy the creep customer base. personally ive only ever seen this used in the manga/anime community

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

A concrete example was when people were selling the Marvel swimsuit issue I remember the term being thrown around a lot. Though that was years after it was published. As I was a baby when it was released.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
From my memory of those long-ago '90s days, yes, people used the term "fanservice" to refer to some of the more cringe-y comics art - they did so in order to compare it to the "fanservice" we'd seen in anime for years before that. It was used in comics fandom explicitly as a "look at this thing from anime that comics is starting to do" reference.

It's a term from anime fandom that's been borrowed by other fandoms, CharlestheHammer, don't die on this hill, it's honestly not worth it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lol it was absolutely not used in that way. I doubt 90% of comic book fans even knew what anime was in the early 90s

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CharlestheHammer posted:

A concrete example was when people were selling the Marvel swimsuit issue I remember the term being thrown around a lot. Though that was years after it was published. As I was a baby when it was released.

ill take your word for it, i wasnt really reading comics in the 90s. but i sure dont see it nowadays, and the flippancy it's thrown around (one reason why i dont venture in adtrw) there's the explicit expectation and acceptance that that is a thing in the anime industry and you just have to deal with it. "well beyond the fanservice" "the fanservice in this episode was great" "this ep was really fanservicey" directly in the title card "this is the fanservice episode" etc

site fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 13, 2018

vkeios
May 7, 2007

yeah fanservice is a thing in Japan, basically anything celebrities might do for fans, like signing autographs or handshakes. Then the anime fans started using it to refer to anything pervy in the original work, because of course they go for the horniest use of a word.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

site posted:

ill take your word for it, i wasnt really reading comics in the 90s. but i sure dont see it nowadays, esp with the flippancy it's thrown around (one reason why i dont venture in adtrw) there's the explicit expectation and acceptance that that is a thing in the anime industry and you just have to deal with it. "well beyond the fanservice" "the fanservice in this episode was great" "this ep was really fanservicey" directly in the title card "this is the fanservice episode" etc

I’ve literally never seen this. Also lol if you think that expectation isn’t in comics. People still expect and for the most part get their fan service in western comics. It hasn’t gone away. It’s still a thing, Their has been a pushback but it’s not disappeared. Like to this day the tits and rear end pose is a thing.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Some very cursory poking around suggests that the actual term in this particular context originated in anime fan-communities in the late 80s ("ファンサービス") and took off in usenet circles by the mid-90s, but obviously gratuitous and pandering elements in art are nothing new and nothing unique to Japanese culture. I think that saying "fan service" as such is a problem with anime and manga isn't to say that Western comics and animation are off the hook in terms of leering sexism. Like, a Tijuana Bible isn't doujinshi and vice versa but they both emerge to meet parallel niches and have formal similarities.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’ve literally never seen this. Also lol if you think that expectation isn’t in comics. People still expect and for the most part get their fan service in western comics. It hasn’t gone away. It’s still a thing, Their has been a pushback but it’s not disappeared. Like to this day the tits and rear end pose is a thing.

i just saw that title card the other day, kobayashis dragon maid, ep 7 and go into like any thread in adtrw for the rest

and i didnt say there wasnt that expectation for certain segments of western readers, but that those scenes are so regularly used in the anime industry that the entire community decided to apparently appropriate (according to vkeios) a term to refer to that specific thing, often as a flippant dismissal of the grossness of what it denotes

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol it was absolutely not used in that way. I doubt 90% of comic book fans even knew what anime was in the early 90s

Nah, dude, in the early 90s every comic book store I ever went in was also the only place in town to buy anime and the counter monkeys were constantly trying to push it on customers because it was one of the few things in the store with a decent profit margin (then Magic cards became a thing and they all switched to those instead). I'm old, but not so old that I can't remember that poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

site posted:

i just saw that title card the other day, kobayashis dragon maid, ep 7 and go into like any thread in adtrw for the rest

and i didnt say there wasnt that expectation for certain segments of western readers, but that those scenes are so regularly used in the anime industry that the entire community decided to apparently appropriate (according to vkeios) a term to refer to that specific thing, often as a flippant dismissal of the grossness of what it denotes

I mean it’s a term comic book readers use to so I’m not sure why it’s special. Comics have engaged in fan service of varying types since the 60s and whether the term originated somewhere else seems like a pointless distinction.

Also lol a certain segment of readers. By that you mean the core audience? Blows my mind people are trying to pretend fan service isn’t a huge part of western comics and haven’t always been that way.

Also that dragon thing apparently is a joke they do for every episode so I feel your being disingenuous a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean it’s a term comic book readers use to so I’m not sure why it’s special. Comics have engaged in fan service of varying types since the 60s and whether the term originated somewhere else seems like a pointless distinction.

Also lol a certain segment of readers. By that you mean the core audience? Blows my mind people are trying to pretend fan service isn’t a huge part of western comics and haven’t always been that way.

Also that dragon thing apparently is a joke they do for every episode so I feel your being disingenuous a bit.

well as someone who actually watched the show thats the only time it's used and shockingly it refers to the beach episode so youre wrong there. and it's pretty funny im being called disingenuous by the person blatantly ignoring what im saying about how it's used now and what archy told us about how it was used then to say bluh-bluh look there were boobs in the 60s too

like, you're not defending fanservice as a good thing as far as i can tell so im not sure what youre getting out of this