Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Wow, X rank loving sucks.

My bullets don't work half the time and if I didn't know better I'd say half the playerbase purposefully throttles their own connection so they can play stupidly recklessly and not be punished for it.

You haven't lived until a .52 gal emerges from hiding to instantly kill two people on your team before either of them can react, or watching a roller just eat shots from 3 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
:taco: Splatfest schedules :taco:

• JP Pocky vs Pocky @ November 10th 15:00 JT
  • US/AU/NZ Salsa vs. Guacamole @ November 16th 20:00 PT / November 17th 15:00 AET
All listed Splatfests last for 24 hours.

Sponsored by Taco Bell. Maybe.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/1stLethalGeek/status/1061053329202012160

So much fun

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Ha! I never realized you could rail-grind while splatted before.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Ha! I never realized you could rail-grind while splatted before.

You still do a little flip when jump off too.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
The prevailing strategy on the new SR map is to wait for everything to come to you at the top while picking off the long range salmonids. Avoid being at the bottom as much as possible because it's really easy to get surrounded by all the spawns, your presence draws the bosses away from the basket, and it leaves the area around the basket ripe for getting clogged up by eels and the like.

It's pretty similar to the ship in that sense.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Pearl loses in Japan again.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Just because this comes up in the Discord a bit, and I'm curious, what control style does everyone use? Do you play handheld or docked/tabletop? Joy-Cons or the Pro Controller? Motion Controls or sticks?

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Joycon+MC but I also like Handheld+MC. Had a pro but that died.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

How'd your Pro die? I love my pro I'd hate for that to happen to it.

I do docked/Pro-controller or handheld. Always motion. I honestly think it's pretty fun handheld, though I don't really do ranked mode on handheld. Screen is just small enough for me to feel like I'm missing something.

Got my first Superfresh with the Splattershot Jr. It is the most chill weapon to use. Just run and shoot and never stop shooting. I like using the Custom one with the Rain cloud because it charges fast so you have even more ammo. Even when I'm losing matches I still get over 1000 ex letting me really level up my clothing with ease. Best weapon to use when talking on the phone or something.

Also just experienced the Skipper Pavilion. Cool level.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How'd your Pro die? I love my pro I'd hate for that to happen to it.

It was strange. To start, I got my Pro at launch and played in wired mode for most the time with no issue. It wasn't until earlier this year, Jan or Feb, where it would start to randomly turn off and have trouble syncing. Those problems were infrequent enough that I didn't think much of it. Then one day when I used the Pro to turn on the Switch, the tiny vibration used for feedback was the strongest vibration I've felt and then nothing. It wouldn't turn back on.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ZeButler posted:

Just because this comes up in the Discord a bit, and I'm curious, what control style does everyone use? Do you play handheld or docked/tabletop? Joy-Cons or the Pro Controller? Motion Controls or sticks?

Joycons in grip when home, handheld when not at home. Motion controls both times.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That almost reads like a spooky Halloween story.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ZeButler posted:

Tabletop mode, pro controller, sticks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If I'm playing ranked I'm playing docked with a pro controller but I've played the single player and salmon in handheld or tabletop mod with the joy cons. Always motion controlled though

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Since I started this, I should probably say what I use, which is docked with the occasional tabletop, Pro Controller, and motion controls. For bonus information, I play at Max sensitivity on both motion controls and the stick.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Docked, Pro controller, motion controls, 2/3 Motion/stick sensitivity

Joycons for Ika Radio

Jiang Shi
Oct 9, 2012

Handheld only and motion controls here, with sensitivity at +5 motion/+3.5 sticks

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ZeButler posted:

Docked, Pro Controller, motion aiming all day. I was really skeptical of the motion controls at first but they really are the way to go.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I use a Pro Controller with motion controls.

Motion controls are good, but they wouldn't be that much of a step up if the stick controls weren't absolutely horrible by shooter standards. There are a ton of dead zones in that control scheme and the camera is just way too sensitive.

I don't blame people for bouncing off motion because the learning curve is really steep.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
Docked, pro w/ motion controls maxed, stick at 4+.

Trinexx
Aug 31, 2007

Ask me about time-shares at scenic Turtle Rock!
Yeah I play with a pro controller + motion controls mostly at max sensitivity. I toggle the sensitivity back and forth a bit but I'm not convinced on any particular setting.

Though unfortunately the gyro aiming+analog stick-with-no y-axis control method they use works so drat well it's effectively broken me for any other similar game I try to play that dosent have them.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

After going Pro+motion I’m not sure I could ever go back to twin sticks, it just seems so natural and it’s probably the best usage of motion controls I’ve seen to date.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I use a Pro Controller with motion controls.

Motion controls are good, but they wouldn't be that much of a step up if the stick controls weren't absolutely horrible by shooter standards. There are a ton of dead zones in that control scheme and the camera is just way too sensitive.

I don't blame people for bouncing off motion because the learning curve is really steep.

Also there isn’t any auto aim unlike just about any other console shooter.

Playing this game without motion is very rough unless you only use rollers.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I play dualies of various types and NZAP with sticks just fine.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nephzinho posted:

I play dualies of various types and NZAP with sticks just fine.

God bless you.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm (not) using motion controls!

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Splatoon's motion controls spoiled me. I was trying to play BotW and had to spend a few minutes to figure out why the camera didn't move? I'm waggling the controller but nothing is happening?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Serenade posted:

Splatoon's motion controls spoiled me. I was trying to play BotW and had to spend a few minutes to figure out why the camera didn't move? I'm waggling the controller but nothing is happening?

At least it has them for aiming. It pisses me off when Switch games don’t have them. Thankfully devs seem to be learning.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'd almost prefer using pro motion controls over a mouse at this point it's so good.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LethalGeek posted:

I'd almost prefer using pro motion controls over a mouse at this point it's so good.

It’s really a nice balance between comfort and accuracy. I wish it was easy to map motion controls for pc games.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SeANMcBAY posted:

Also there isn’t any auto aim unlike just about any other console shooter.

the fact that the game does not have autoaim is itself an endorsement of how good the gyro controls are. it just isn't required for accurate aiming, flicks, etc.

by the by is ink resistance any good in this game? it seems obviously a lot weaker than splatoon 1 but I'm having trouble quantifying by how much.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

the fact that the game does not have autoaim is itself an endorsement of how good the gyro controls are. it just isn't required for accurate aiming, flicks, etc.

by the by is ink resistance any good in this game? it seems obviously a lot weaker than splatoon 1 but I'm having trouble quantifying by how much.

In 1 it reduced the DPS incurred by standing in enemy ink, so you would hit the cap in 2.5 seconds instead of 1.33. In 2 the max damage always occurs after 1.5 seconds, the ceiling of damage is just lowered by having more. I don't know how different the movement buffs are though.

A side-effect Of ink resist Up was that the lowered damage cap from enemy ink damage meant that you would never show up on the mini-map without getting shot by an enemy player, since you would never break the damage threshold for appearing on the mini-map, which I didn't know until today. That's a cool buff

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How does the map work in 2 then? I always assumed it was LOS to your team but maybe it's all based on damage values and firing the Rainmaker.

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.

Night Blade posted:

Wow, X rank loving sucks.

My bullets don't work half the time and if I didn't know better I'd say half the playerbase purposefully throttles their own connection so they can play stupidly recklessly and not be punished for it.

You haven't lived until a .52 gal emerges from hiding to instantly kill two people on your team before either of them can react, or watching a roller just eat shots from 3 people.

I've been playing Turf War against a bunch of people with levels over 100 lately and I've noticed ink disappearing/appearing constantly, players who shots just bounce off of before a single one of theirs takes people down, people teleporting, that sort of thing. It's not ruining the game or anything because it doesn't happen in every match but it's pissing me off.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.
I use sticks, I can't get used to the way motion controls work in this game for the life of me. I mostly just stick with the octobrush and the toilet weapon anyway so it doesn't really affect me a great deal.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

People used it for a bit, then stopped when the enemy ink mechanics got changed to not cause you to instantly grind to a halt if you step on a speck of enemy ink.

Nowadays it's occasionally seen on Splatlings in competitive, but I don't believe too many other weapons really want it. Though it may just be a case of wanting other abilities more, and that more weapons paint their feet better nowadays.

In Training posted:

How does the map work in 2 then? I always assumed it was LOS to your team but maybe it's all based on damage values and firing the Rainmaker.

Still based on damage values. More than 30 damage causes enemies to show up on the map, as well as the Rainmaker revealing the location of the wielder periodically.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

It's more common on Splatlings specifically because stepping in enemy ink completely nullifies any Run Speed Up you have equipped. I don't remember if that was the case in Splatoon 1.

Wearing exactly 1 sub of Ink Resistance Up is also now in its second go-around as a fad, but both times were/are for reasons based on bad/incomplete information. The usefulness of 1 sub isn't as noticeably disproportionate as it is with abilities like Quick Super Jump, Special Saver Up and Bomb Defense Up.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/Splatoon_Nordic/status/1062346261825798144
A bit late to the party but at least Bergsala AB didn't drop the ball completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

kidfresca posted:

It's more common on Splatlings specifically because stepping in enemy ink completely nullifies any Run Speed Up you have equipped. I don't remember if that was the case in Splatoon 1.

It was not, so both Run Speed Up and Ink Resistance Up were stronger abilities there. (On top of their effects just being stronger overall.)