Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Glass of Milk posted:

Just nationalize the CA power companies already.
After Enron and now with these fires, yeah let's goon up a proposition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
it's honestly kinda hosed up that private utilities even exist in the first place

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kuvo posted:

it's honestly kinda hosed up that private utilities even exist in the first place

:agreed: for profit utilities are bullshit and bring out the worst in people watch enron the smartest guys in the room to hear enron employees yelling "Burn baby burn let turn off some powerplantd while theres a fire blazing". God awful.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
“In the final analysis, it doesn't matter what you crazy people in California do, because I got smart guys out there who can always figure out how to make money”

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

So Young Kim might lose thanks to absentee ballots. And quite likely. That’s good.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Kuvo posted:

Agreed.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Maybe power will get classified as a luxury like internet has been?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://twitter.com/dansinker/status/1061667430752235520

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1061444946878717953

And I wouldn't be surprised if that number goes up soon.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Nice knowing you Malibu

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Really not the best week for Thousand Oaks

I threw some money at the North Valley Community Foundation for the folks up north.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Really not the best week for Thousand Oaks

I threw some money at the North Valley Community Foundation for the folks up north.

Seriously. My family had to evacuate, a friends house burned down, and I’m out of the country watching all this bullshit from afar.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
It looks like Tony Thurmond currently has a slight lead over noted corporate charter school shill Marshall Tuck. I hope Thurmond is able to edge out a victory.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Bodhidharma posted:

It looks like Tony Thurmond currently has a slight lead over noted corporate charter school shill Marshall Tuck. I hope Thurmond is able to edge out a victory.

Watching a bunch of lovely candidates slowly lose as the ballots roll in has been the ray of sunshine in a very bad weekend for California.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Watching a bunch of lovely candidates slowly lose as the ballots roll in has been the ray of sunshine in a very bad weekend for California.

It surely has been.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bodhidharma posted:

You must have capped that when they were updating the info because Tuck jumped back up while Thurmond's numbers stayed the same

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

vaginadeathgrip posted:

Seriously. My family had to evacuate, a friends house burned down, and I’m out of the country watching all this bullshit from afar.

Hugs to you. I hope your friend is okay.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Heard on the radio about how one kid survived the Las Vegas shooting only to die last week in the Thousand Oaks shooting.

:smith:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Does anyone have a good map for the House seats in CA? I'm curious how many we've flipped just in this state.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 12, 2018

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Skippy McPants posted:

Does anyone have a good map for the House seats in CA? I'm curious how many we've flipped just in this state.

https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/california-house-races-results-2018/

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The new claim I'm hearing is that these big fires are caused by the state not allowing private companies to clear out dead trees. In curious how true this really is.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Panfilo posted:

The new claim I'm hearing is that these big fires are caused by the state not allowing private companies to clear out dead trees. In curious how true this really is.

I mean, if there's no trees left to burn then there's no more forest fires.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

does "the state is not allowing private companies to clear out dead trees" mean "private company pg&e is failing to carry out legally required maintenance of clearing out brush and dead trees near its lines"

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Panfilo posted:

That's conservative code for "allow clear-cutting" and it's not really true. The problem is climate change.

Also huge swathes of land in California are federally managed, soooo

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Of course it isn't.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Shear Modulus posted:

does "the state is not allowing private companies to clear out dead trees" mean "private company pg&e is failing to carry out legally required maintenance of clearing out brush and dead trees near its lines"

Probably.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

FCKGW posted:

I mean, if there's no trees left to burn then there's no more forest fires.
Aren't most of these fires consuming low lying vegetation than anything else? Trees aren't the problem as far as I've read - a lack of trees can actually exacerbate the problem as bushes and shrubs can go grow back very quickly allowing the fires to rage every year.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Tarezax posted:

Heard on the radio about how one kid survived the Las Vegas shooting only to die last week in the Thousand Oaks shooting.

:smith:

A dad of the victim was on tv during a press conference and broke down and said "I love my son so much" well sorry buddy we need to let 4% of the population cosplay as militia patriots so he has to die

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I saw a short-form documentary last year that I can no longer remember the name of that put forward the case that decades of aggressively knocking down small wildfires have left so much fuel in the forests that this new breed of wildfire is much more intense. The heat is so high now that everything dies and doesn't come back, even the plants that evolved to deal with regular fires.

Obviously, global warming has contributed to this happening in loving November, but I would not be surprised if the interruption of the established fire cycle has indeed played a part.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Flayer posted:

Aren't most of these fires consuming low lying vegetation than anything else? Trees aren't the problem as far as I've read - a lack of trees can actually exacerbate the problem as bushes and shrubs can go grow back very quickly allowing the fires to rage every year.

More important is that fires don't start when some stray sparks leap into trees, but they do start when the sparks catch on dry brush and grass, and then the trees only catch on fire when the flame lasts long enough to evaporate all the residual moisture in the tree. That's why when you build a fire you use sticks and dead grass as a firestarter instead of just trying to set the logs on fire with a match.

Again, the Camp fire started when a fallen power line caught uncleared brush on fire.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

CPColin posted:

I saw a short-form documentary last year that I can no longer remember the name of that put forward the case that decades of aggressively knocking down small wildfires have left so much fuel in the forests that this new breed of wildfire is much more intense. The heat is so high now that everything dies and doesn't come back, even the plants that evolved to deal with regular fires.

Obviously, global warming has contributed to this happening in loving November, but I would not be surprised if the interruption of the established fire cycle has indeed played a part.

That's not exactly a hot take, that's why we they do controlled burns

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Pg&e leaves powerlines littered with trees my house burned down, now i worry about my apartment burning down becausw the entire street has likr 10 or 15 trees with powerlines wrapped through them. We need to send the state police into pg&e hq

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I have a couple gigantic trees in my backyard (which as an aside I really want to get rid of for a variety of reasons, but my landlord gave a firm no so :shrug:) that grow right on top of the power lines. Once or twice a year PG&E drops a leaflet on my door asking me to unlock my gate so they can trim around the lines, and every time instead of actually trimming the tree back, they just cut all the greenery within a foot of the line. Sure enough, within a couple weeks everything they've cut has grown back.

PG&E just came out to do their trimming a month ago, and look at this poo poo:

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Maybe insurance worries? At a construction job I was at there was a tree was supposed to be removed. The tree removal subcontractor pulled out of the job because they didn't know a fiber optic line was going through the branches. They would have had to get a massive insurance policy in case they cut that line and they were like gently caress that. So it was a hassle to find a subcontractor to do it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
They just cut the trees near our lines to basically stumps and called it a day. :(

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Sydin posted:

PG&E just came out to do their trimming a month ago, and look at this poo poo:

Those are low voltage communications lines. Nobody gives a poo poo about those until they break.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
hilariously in my area pg&e has been trying to do trimming but the local yuppies complained about them ruining the view and got it shut down

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

The Southern California fires are in chaparral covered areas that have routinely burned for hundreds of years and will continue to do so regardless of what we do there. The Camp fire's blistering charge from the Feather River, where it started, to the town of Paradise went through an area which had already completely burned in 2008 from the Butte Lightning Complex. So naturally everything Trump said is dead wrong.

We're never going to be able to eliminate the fuel load once these fires get going, and while there's probably some merit to clearing underbrush and creating defensible space around power lines (and municipalizing PG&E asap), we mainly need to reexamine how we think about building in the wildland-urban interface. It's a fine line here between victim blaming and acknowledging that maybe these areas weren't great places to build in the first place. And if we decide it's actually a bad idea to build in these places, how do we actually disincentive it via policy? These are hard questions that CA is going to have to grapple with in the coming years.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Raskolnikov38 posted:

hilariously in my area pg&e has been trying to do trimming but the local yuppies complained about them ruining the view and got it shut down

A lot of people are now blaming environmentalists trying up logging companies in court and allowing dead trees and underbrush to build up. It's strange, they can admit the ultimate cause is man made but not that global warming had anything to do with it.

Good thing we have a couple thousand inmates to help with firefighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
god the smoke where I'm at is bad. I'm gonna hunker down inside today.