Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Occult Philosophy Kickstarter is live!

This supplement adds 800 new spells for Shadow of the Demon Lord, along with some other associated magical content. The add-ons will let you grab just about anything else produced thus far for decent deal prices. Add-ons are pretty neat, what really gets my attention are the two sets of 3 magic-focused adventures designed to be finished in a single session, which could be interesting to see made.

SotDL is the best d20 fantasy game you can get imo, and I highly recommend checking this one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Redundant posted:

Any thoughts on the playmat version of Catacombs? I have been thinking about buying the game for a while now and apparently all it took was a cheap expansion and some rubber mats. I don't even know if they will make a difference but they look cool and I can use them with some other games too.

Is Catacombs any good? I have had 3rd edition sitting on my shelf unplayed for ages and it always looked cool but holy poo poo the playmat upgrade tier is twice what I paid for the base game, and I can't imagine that unless the game is stunning.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

Is Catacombs any good? I have had 3rd edition sitting on my shelf unplayed for ages and it always looked cool but holy poo poo the playmat upgrade tier is twice what I paid for the base game, and I can't imagine that unless the game is stunning.

It's solidly mediocre. The evil player has to pull punches and not focus down heroes or it kinda falls apart. Mechanics like poison are also ridiculously dumb with chances of instakills on the weaker heroes.

I think it could be an alright one on one game but when we played it with five most of the heroes were bored at their lack of options and everything took a lot longer than it should have.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

It's a fun idea but it is incredibly badly balanced so that the DM player will really struggle not to win.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I see someone asked (last month) what Jenna was up to, so I might as well point out that she finally has a proper website that can answer these questions for you!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

By the way, in case anyone was wondering about Soda Pop Miniatures / Ninja Division and the state of Super Dungeon Explore: Legends... ehhhhh:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/9wbzoe/super_dungeon_explore_legends_kickstarter_project/

Yeah, they're way outta money and all their other KS projects are probably screwed at the moment.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JazzFlight posted:

By the way, in case anyone was wondering about Soda Pop Miniatures / Ninja Division and the state of Super Dungeon Explore: Legends... ehhhhh:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/9wbzoe/super_dungeon_explore_legends_kickstarter_project/

Yeah, they're way outta money and all their other KS projects are probably screwed at the moment.

So they were moving money between divisions, more or less? Wow, that's like West End Games going broke because the holding company tried to use its profits to buff their shoe sales.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

In a world where Seal Team Flix exists, I see no need to play Catacombs unless you are opposed to modern warfare as a theme.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ninja Division loving up yet another Kickstarter? Can't say I'm surprised, they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

djfooboo posted:

In a world where Seal Team Flix exists, I see no need to play Catacombs unless you are opposed to modern warfare as a theme.
STF is out of stock pretty much everywhere that will actually deliver to me, sadly.

It's disappointing to hear that Catacombs isn't all that great. I assumed it might be a pain to set up but the reviews, awards and BGG rating made me think that once it was out it would make for some nice evenings with a few drinks and friends who don't want anything too heavy. I guess for the money though I could just buy 2 or 3 good dexterity games or invest slightly more in an out and out Big Box Game (that I will never get to play). There's always Flick 'em Up! I suppose.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I just purchased Flick Em Up Dead of Winter, hopefully I'll get to play it over the holidays. From what I can tell it's got much better rules and scenarios than vanilla Flick Em Up.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
God I am just in love with the artwork for the new playable spirits in Spirit Island: Jagged Earth

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Spirit Island is a great game and worth grabbing if you can.

Meanwhile, Savage Worlds Adventure Edition has about 48 hours left, and $25 gets you the PDF and a fuckton of stretch goals.

quote:

$25 (MSRP $9.99)
PDF CORE
basic Game Mastering chapter back in the CORE book
Plus extras:
PDF World Builder's Guide
Expansion 1: High Powered Games
Expansion 2: Under the Hood
Expansion 3: Build Your Tribe
Expansion 4: Turning Ideas into SWAG
Expansion 5: Risks & Reversals
Expansion 6: Savage Worlds for All Ages!
Expansion 7: The Long Game
Expansion 8: Epilogue
PDF Combat & Chase Maneuvers Quick Reference Chart
PDF table-tent character sheets, character folios
PDF Adventure Deck
PDF Power and Status decks
PDF Power Template Pack
PDF Bookmarks
Savage Worlds Map Pack!
Virtual Table Top Bundle
PDF/JPG Gear Cards:
Hand Weapons & Armor
Firearms
Special Weapons
Vehicles
Music to Game With
1 Strength & Honor (Originally released for ​​Weird Wars Rome)
2​ Terror in Texas (Originally released for East Texas University)
3 The Jump (originally released for The Last Parsec)
Music to Die For soundtrack (Originally released for Deadlands Noir)
Deadlands Hell on Earth
PDF Savage Rifts Adventure: Murderthon
PDF Mini Settings
1 Abyssal
2 The Lost City of Astla
3 Tesla Rangers
4 Spirits of 1786
PDF Savage Settings of Yesteryear
1 Evernight ​
2 Tour of Darkness (Weird Wars: Vietnam)
Deadlands Noir
Deadlands the Weird West Player's/Marshall's Handbooks
Deadlands Hell on Earth Reloaded
PDF/ePub/.mobi:
Wendigo Tales Bundle
Deadlands Noir Dime Novel: The Tenement Men
Explorer #1
Savage Tales of Horror #1
YouTube WildCards Livestream of ETU: Undeclared!
Plus Jumpstarts -
Aegis Studios:
Choe Phoe Savage Edition ACE
Citizens Divided ACE
Contagion
Amora Games:
Art of War
Applied Vectors:
Sovereign Stone
Atomic Ninja Studios:
Dead End
Battlefield Press International:
From Fargo to the Fair for Gaslight Victorian Fantasy
Blackwing Productions:
Heroes of Terra
Blessed Machine:
Secret Agents of CROSS
BPB Games:
Savage Tokusatsu
Bumblebear Games:
Nephilim
Dark Smile Games:
Fae Nightmares
Demon Skunk:
Aether Adrift
Dog House Rules:
Trailer Park Shark Attack!
Evil Beagle Games:
Freedom Squadron Recruitment Manual
Fabled Environments:
Monster Hunter's Club
Olympus Inc
Fainting Goat Games:
The After
Four-in-Hand Games:
Steamscapes
Gallant Knight Games:
Monster Hunters International
Sagas & Six Guns
GG Studio:
Hope & Glory
GRAmel Books:
Beasts & Barbarians
Tropicana
Tyrnador
Gun Metal Games:
Interface Zero
Happy Monster Press:
Children of the Apocalpyse
Legion of Liberty: Superheroes of 1776
Hardy Tales:
Empire of Venom & Silk RPG
High Level Games:
Archons of Nikud: Anthropomorphic Heroes in an Age of Tumult
Intellistories:
Seven Worlds– A Realistic Science-Fiction Setting
Just Insert Imagination:
Winter Eternal—Rise of the Ghost Machines
Wiseguys
Knight Errant Media:
Titan Effect RPG for Savage Worlds
Kyoudai Games:
Thunderscape: the World of Aden
Melior Via:
Accursed
Misfit Studios and RPG Objects:
Darwin’s World, Nuclear Edition
Mutha Oith:
Low Life
Mystical Throne Entertainment:
Mythos
Obatron Productions:
Retribution
Tunse'al
Old Cowboy Games:
SOUL
Pirate Press LLC:
Battle for Oz
Rocky Mountain Savages:
SWAT: Spells, Weapons & Tactics
Savage Mojo:
Austeria
Dungeonlands
Fae Land
Gatherall
The Suzerain Universe
Untamed Empires
Sigil Entertainment Group:
Savage Quarterly
Sneak Attack Press:
Broken Earth
Star Anvil Studios:
SAINTs and Synners
Steam Sun Games:
The City of the Steam Sun
Super Genius Games:
Strike Force 7 Savaged! (2nd Edition)
Third Eye Games:
Apocalypse Prevention, Inc.
Tri Tac Legacy & Longshot Productions:
Bureau 13: Stalking the Night Fantastic
Triphammer Games:
Warbeasts & Wyrms
Triple Ace Games:
Hellfrost
Up to Four Players:
Crystal Heart!
Utherwald Press:
Frozen Skies
Wingspan Games:
Lords of Venus

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

Spirit Island is a great game and worth grabbing if you can.

Meanwhile, Savage Worlds Adventure Edition has about 48 hours left, and $25 gets you the PDF and a fuckton of stretch goals.

Leaving setting issues aside, how does SW work for Deadlands? Like I don't know much about the system, but I'd love a simple system for it. How it does Mad Scientists would be key.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Leaving setting issues aside, how does SW work for Deadlands? Like I don't know much about the system, but I'd love a simple system for it. How it does Mad Scientists would be key.
The way Savage Worlds handles powers is by making the effects generic and having players buy specific backgrounds that determine how that effect works in-game.

So there's a generic "bolt" power that's your normal "do damage" effect. If you have the Mage background, then you cast it as a spell and there's danger of a backlash on a bad roll. But if you're a Gadgeteer, then the power is built into a device that has X charges (and can be recharged for free), but can malfunction or be taken away temporarily. Then either way you can attach a damage type to the effect that determines additional effects and you're done.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I've always thought Savage Worlds' core system was loving boring, but Deadlands' "play poker with the Devil to cast spells" was loving fantastic both thematically and, for the most part, mechanically.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

The way Savage Worlds handles powers is by making the effects generic and having players buy specific backgrounds that determine how that effect works in-game.

So there's a generic "bolt" power that's your normal "do damage" effect. If you have the Mage background, then you cast it as a spell and there's danger of a backlash on a bad roll. But if you're a Gadgeteer, then the power is built into a device that has X charges (and can be recharged for free), but can malfunction or be taken away temporarily. Then either way you can attach a damage type to the effect that determines additional effects and you're done.

That sounds pretty good. Now to figure out if my budget can take that and Nile Empire coming out later this month.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Dawgstar posted:

It works well enough. It's a simple, easy-to-adapt system, but the Deadlands rules don't add too much to core Savage Worlds. If you like the base game, you'll probably like how it works in Deadlands. If you think SW is too generic or swingy, then new rules for dynamite, dueling, and monsters probably aren't going to win you over here.

Players who want to unbalance their characters can do so pretty easily, but since it's Deadlands the GM always has access to something nastier. Even without dipping into the beloved metaplot NPCs, my players often found themselves in situations where they were flying high and mighty mowing down mooks until suddenly they weren't and some nobody with good positioning and a lucky shot put them on the ropes. Characters are strong enough to have a lot of control, but still fragile enough that caution is valuable.

The Snakeoil Salesman edge makes social characters even more powerful -- at least against targets that can be socialized against. The new edition is tweaking Charisma to be more situational, so I'm excited about that. The new edition is also making baseline characters slightly more competent by giving them a few free ranks in commonly used skills (Athletics, Common Knowledge, Notice, and Persuasion, I think). Savage Worlds characters don't get a lot of skill points and unskilled dice rolls are pretty difficult, so characters are more in line with the genre they're emulating.

Mad Scientists pick up random dementias as they gain access to new devices. I'm not fond of all of the options (since most of them are just -1 or -2 to Charisma plus role-playing hooks), but they're easy enough to house rule. There's also an edge that I've never seen a PC mad scientist not take, that allows them to jury-rig one special device for session. This device can emulate any Power from the mad scientist list and works until it runs out of juice. In practice, it gives them the feel of the character who can do anything, albeit with unexpected constraints.

Compared to core Deadlands, which I've played much less, characters are more powerful and the system is far simpler. Hucksters in SW still use poker hands to enhance their spells, but it isn't as necessary or as much of a gamble.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Lol in an inspiring display of receptiveness to their customer base, the Spirit Island expansion KS announced a wooden expansion box add-on designed to hold everything current. It costs $60 and isn't future-proofed when they've explicitly said more expansions are planned.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

More Spirit Island expansions past the current ones! Wow, I'll already not even experience 1/15th of this game as is.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Bergnein, a game that was on Kickstarter a few years ago, has been sued by the Berghain bouncer they based the game on

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

"Satire is dead in Sweden" says man who was found to be using a person's likeness to portray a character doing that person's job. Where the gently caress is the satire, and how does it hinge on using this one dude's face?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Well, how much do you know about Berghain?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Essentially nothing, so all I've got it 'they made a game about it' and 'this one dude's likeness was used.'

In cases of individuals and their personal appearance or creations (as opposed to eternal hellcorps), tho, I am habitually inclined to side with the owner of the likeness/creation when it comes to copyright stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

glitchkrieg posted:

Well, how much do you know about Berghain?

Well, it’s about 10 minutes’ walk away from me.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Buck Wildman posted:

Lol in an inspiring display of receptiveness to their customer base, the Spirit Island expansion KS announced a wooden expansion box add-on designed to hold everything current. It costs $60 and isn't future-proofed when they've explicitly said more expansions are planned.

Yeah, that whole thing is baffling to me. Apparently people wanted a solution to the lid-lift that the Broken Token insert add-on is said to create. This doesn't seem like a substantial enough problem to warrant direct publisher action to me, given that lid-lift is a pretty common and most of the time mainly cosmetic issue when using aftermarket organizers or trying to combine expansions into a base game box. But a non-future-proof complete box replacement that costs as much as the expansion they're Kickstarting and doesn't come with the insert that was at issue to begin with seems like a particularly niche solution to said problem.

Don't get me wrong, Broken Token does nice work and I just put together their Flash Point: Fire Rescue crate and consider it worth every penny. But that's a solution for a game where the product line is (afaik) complete, there's only three products in the whole line with boxes, none particularly capacious, and most expansions consisted of shrinkwrapped game boards. So a full hand-assembled storage solution makes perfect sense. Spirit Island...maybe one of these days, but certainly not while we're only on expansion #2 and everything still fits in the (lovely) original game box.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Did anyone that backed Sword of the Bastard Elf get the hardcover? I'm just now looking at the rewards and the thing must be absolutely massive. How big is this thing?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

LongDarkNight posted:

Did anyone that backed Sword of the Bastard Elf get the hardcover? I'm just now looking at the rewards and the thing must be absolutely massive. How big is this thing?

Large, like the size of a full-size dictionary. You can put it in a bag or backpack with little issue, but you'd look conspicuous carrying it around in your hands.

E: just measured and it's about 10X2.5 inches.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 14, 2018

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

LongDarkNight posted:

I got the softcover and even that is huge. The hardcover is significantly bigger, seems like it would be too unwieldy to me.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

It's not small.

EverettLO fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 14, 2018

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Holy poo poo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What the gently caress is that thing?

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Covok posted:

What the gently caress is that thing?

A choose your own adventure RPG book in the vein of Fighting Fantasy books but with more humor.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Any thoughts on the Barrage ks ending in less than a hour, I meant to check it out more but outside life has kept me busy to say the least.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/craniocreations/barrage/

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

EverettLO posted:

A choose your own adventure RPG book in the vein of Fighting Fantasy books but with more humor.

:wtc:

Oh, of loving course it's Lamentations of the Flame Princess.

EDIT: Quoted the wrong post, sorry!

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 14, 2018

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Strata the Expansion for Spire's KS ends tomorrow.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gshowitt/strata-a-spire-rpg-sourcebook/

The £60 level will get you a copy of Spire in hardcover too.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

GimpInBlack posted:

:wtc:

Oh, of loving course it's Lamentations of the Flame Princess.

EDIT: Quoted the wrong post, sorry!

It's about gaining powers via magical menstruation, if that helps.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Dinosaur Princesses ends in a few hours. It's by the author of The Sprawl.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ardensludere/dinosaur-princesses-a-story-game-for-all-ages/

quote:

Decide what type of Dinosaur you are (a t-rex, ankylosaurs, or platypus perhaps!) and what type of Princess you are (maybe an aquanaut, zookeeper, or chef!). Remember that, just like your type of dinosaur isn’t limited by strict definitions of “dinosaur”, your princess isn’t limited to being a girl—everyone can be a Dinosaur Princess! After you decide what your Dinosaur Princess is like, you then start the very important step of drawing and colouring your Dinosaur Princess. Now gather your friends, build up group dice pool, and overcome all the obstacles and problems that the Palaeontologist throws your way!

Dinosaur Princesses is a story game of collaboration and cooperation for all ages. Great for new TTRPG players and experienced players alike.

Did we mention the rulebook is also a colouring book?

Dinosaur Princesses uses an opposed dice pool mechanic which is set up so that if a Dinosaur Princess tries to do something on their own, the odds are against them. After they assemble their pool of dice, they ask their friends, the other Dinosaur Princesses, the most important question in the game, "Will you help me?". Then their friends build dice pools and hopefully overcome the problem together!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I'm so pumped for Street Masters, not looking forward to the waiting game :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

djfooboo posted:

I'm so pumped for Street Masters, not looking forward to the waiting game :(

I've decided to go in for the reprint of the base game. Watched a bunch of videos on people playing it and honestly it hits most of my buttons.