Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

univbee posted:

You're going to be so jealous of my rocket horse.

Yeah, the only TVs made anymore are in 4K, right? Or at least 1080p, right?

Oh.

What is this, a TV for ants???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DrNutt posted:

What is this, a TV for ants???

It’s a TV for aunts :v:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

univbee posted:

Yeah, the only TVs made anymore are in 4K, right? Or at least 1080p, right?

Oh.
lol why are you posting a $200 TV marketed towards grandparents in a modern console gaming thread?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

American McGay posted:

I can't, in good conscience, recommend an Xbox One S to someone looking to buy a new gaming console.

Just sent mine to amazon trade ins today. Pc is my box now

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

American McGay posted:

I can't, in good conscience, recommend an Xbox One S to someone looking to buy a new gaming console.

LOL that's dumb, not everyone needs to have those L337 pixels, bro

American McGay posted:

lol why are you posting a $200 TV marketed towards grandparents in a modern console gaming thread?

Modern Console Gaming == spending over $3000 to make your digital cowboy dolls look prettier.

Also, i have like zero dog in this fight I just like making fun of dumb things.

lazerus06 posted:

Meh, I heard the same thing about RDR2 before it came out. "Don't play it on anything but the One X...."
Meanwhile, it looks amazing on my One S. Do games look better on the One X? Sure. But people saying don't play *insert new game here* on anything but a One X is silly.

You never every ounce of pixel power to make petting a dog in a video work properly or you just shouldn't do it

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 12, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

univbee posted:

I like this guy.

I wish I had the extra cash to dump into a big nice tv but all my electronics budget went into my last PC + gsync monitor. No regrets (when RDR2 comes to PC anyway).

For the most part I'm actually really happy with my ten year old LG 1080p tv, and now that I have a one x the supersampling of games that run in 4k means no jaggies ever. Like I'm not even sure RDR2 on PC would look as good without cranking costly aa options.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

enigmahfc posted:

LOL that's dumb, not everyone needs to have those L337 pixels, bro

Modern Console Gaming == spending over $3000 to make your digital cowboy dolls look prettier.

Also, i have like zero dog in this fight I just like making fun of dumb things.

You never every ounce of pixel power to make petting a dog in a video work properly or you just shouldn't do it
One of the highest rated 4K tvs ever released is $600. If you wanna step down a notch and just get a "really good" one it should set you back around $250.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also Costco has a pretty drat good 4k TV with HDR for like 270 right now so :shrug:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MarcusSA posted:

Also Costco has a pretty drat good 4k TV with HDR for like 270 right now so :shrug:

:eyepop:

Whaaaaaaa? I had written off upgrading to 4k anytime soon but that's totally doable at that price.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DrNutt posted:

:eyepop:

Whaaaaaaa? I had written off upgrading to 4k anytime soon but that's totally doable at that price.

Let me see if I can find it. Someone in the Costco thread was asking about it and it was a killer deal.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

fishmech posted:

Honestly I don't think year 7 of a console generation is a good time to be buying such consoles at full price, which is why I wouldn't suggest getting a plain ps4/xbone/xbones at this point.

The Xbone and PS4 came out five years ago. Realistically, there won't be another gen shift for another 2, and with most of what we're playing being better-looking 360 games with worse business models it's possible they hold off longer. If you don't have a console and see a decent BF deal on a base PS4 or Xbone loving buy one.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MarcusSA posted:

Let me see if I can find it. Someone in the Costco thread was asking about it and it was a killer deal.

Is it the 55 inch TCL? it showed up sorting for lowest price on the website but it's warehouse only and wouldn't show me the actual price.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Is it the 55 inch TCL? it showed up sorting for lowest price on the website but it's warehouse only and wouldn't show me the actual price.

Yeah

https://www.costco.com/TCL-55S423-55%22-Class-(54.6%22-Diag)-4K-UHD-Roku-LED-LCD.product.100466575.html

Should be that one. I didn't see the price my self but some other goon said that was the price.

Its as good of a deal as you get outside of black friday and fighting people for a drat TV.

It gets decent reviews too.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TheScott2K posted:

The Xbone and PS4 came out five years ago. Realistically, there won't be another gen shift for another 2, and with most of what we're playing being better-looking 360 games with worse business models it's possible they hold off longer. If you don't have a console and see a decent BF deal on a base PS4 or Xbone loving buy one.

Yeah if it weren't for the RDR2 Xbone deal at gamestop and the fact that I had an s to trade in I wouldn't have a bone right now and I'd probably be happy enough playing it on the s, but that deal was really just too good to pass up.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

univbee posted:

:dudsmile:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah

https://www.costco.com/TCL-55S423-55%22-Class-(54.6%22-Diag)-4K-UHD-Roku-LED-LCD.product.100466575.html

Should be that one. I didn't see the price my self but some other goon said that was the price.

Its as good of a deal as you get outside of black friday and fighting people for a drat TV.

Awesome, thanks. My biggest concern with upgrading from the TV I have is input lag, because the one I have was recommended for gaming specifically based on low input lag.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

American McGay posted:

One of the highest rated 4K tvs ever released is $600. If you wanna step down a notch and just get a "really good" one it should set you back around $250.

Yeah, I got a 4K TV for a pretty sensible price, if fact....

DrNutt posted:

This is the TV I have (at least the Roku version, but I'm not sure if there are other versions) and I really like it. Blade Runner 2044 looked awesome on it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Awesome, thanks. My biggest concern with upgrading from the TV I have is input lag, because the one I have was recommended for gaming specifically based on low input lag.

AFAIK most TVs have a game mode now which makes that a non issue.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah

Quick note this is the 'S' model, the really good one that everyone raves about for the price with excellent HDR is the 'R' model.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Make sure the HDR TV you are buying has HDR10 or Dolby Digital HDR. The cheaper HDR TVs tend to be HDR8 which is not supported with Xbox.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'll be buying a second 65" 4K tv soon :smug: because I broke my first one :(

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Make sure the HDR TV you are buying has HDR10 or Dolby Digital HDR. The cheaper HDR TVs tend to be HDR8 which is not supported with Xbox.

This is very important, you will regret it later. Don't cheap out on something like a TV.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Also worth remembering is the simple fact that an LCD TV without local dimming can't do anything close to what HDR is supposed to look like, regardless of what the box might claim. To have even a chance of a decent HDR picture with an appropriate contrast, you need full-array local dimming or else an OLED screen.

I have a two-year-old cheap Samsung which nominally supports HDR, and I rather just use SDR modes for pretty much everything.

Zat fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 12, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK most TVs have a game mode now which makes that a non issue.

The last time I bought a tv "game mode" was just lovely calibration settings with the fake 120hz mode that produced shitloads of artifacting. And iirc input lag was one reason the Samsung KS8000 was the go to 4k tv for gaming.

I wish Video Only had game consoles for demo purposes.

For 270 bucks though I would probably take that chance regardless though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DrNutt posted:

The last time I bought a tv "game mode" was just lovely calibration settings with the fake 120hz mode that produced shitloads of artifacting. And iirc input lag was one reason the Samsung KS8000 was the go to 4k tv for gaming.

I wish Video Only had game consoles for demo purposes.

For 270 bucks though I would probably take that chance regardless though.

The ks7/8k had a very low lag in game mode. Like 22ms. Most tvs in that year got down to 50-100 iirc which is perfectly fine for anything except games where you need to do frame perfect stuff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah IMO the Costco $270 job is hard to beat for the price / size.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah IMO the Costco $270 job is hard to beat for the price / size.

Seems good but make sure reviews talk about how bright it is. A lot of lovely tv brands like vizio have the software for hdr but dont have the luminocity to display much hdr detail

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Seems good but make sure reviews talk about how bright it is. A lot of lovely tv brands like vizio have the software for hdr but dont have the luminocity to display much hdr detail

Ok but it’s a 55 inch tv for $270. Like I get if you are spending $500+ but once you get down in the sub $300 range you kinda just go with it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah sure, just saying

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Does anyone know how to make my controller sync button work (on the console)? I push it, I get a click but no power light blinking / no pairing mode. Tried every kind of list of steps re: power-cycling, unplugging etc. I could find. Called Microsoft about it once, took like an hour of troubleshooting then they said I had to pay to replace the whole console. But somehow something mysteriously works after a few days. (1st gen Xbox One) (Controller usable via USB cable but doesn't sync that way either)

I feel like the problem is at the OS / software level. Last time I could get it to work by doing it first thing after rebooting (before OS started something that interfered with it?)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My old bone had that issue semi regularly, just plugging it in directly to the bone via wire always cleaned it right up

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Barudak posted:

My old bone had that issue semi regularly, just plugging it in directly to the bone via wire always cleaned it right up

Same. That and updating the controller or a full reboot.

Twenty Thousand Hertz's episode this week covers the Xbox Startup Sound:

https://www.20k.org/episodes/xboxstartupsound

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1062389762995044352

Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an rear end in a top hat. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII for any system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII Backwards Compatibility for Xbox One or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
what

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:ssh: It's a slightly re-worded infamous NeoGAF post from when the 360 version of FFXIII got confirmed

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

univbee posted:

:ssh: It's a slightly re-worded infamous NeoGAF post from when the 360 version of FFXIII got confirmed

oh lmfao

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

univbee posted:

I actually remember when that happened. I had never played a FF game before because all I had was a Wii and 360, so I was excited to try it out.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

univbee posted:

Hahahaha what?!?!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Some of LR is ok i suppose.

Cursed trilogy otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

BisterdDave posted:

Hahahaha what?!?!

found it

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/final-fantasy-xiii-confirmed-for-xbox-360.327004/page-36

about 1/4th down