Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dramicus posted:

There are mostly two factors that determine if a country under attack will join a faction. The first is if you are in a faction, they will be much more likely to look for another faction to join because they feel they are getting ganged up on (even if your faction only has one member). The second is global tension, if you attack while it's low, they cannot join a faction under normal circumstances. So if you get lucky with your Austria-Hungary run and get to diplo-annex Austria and the Czechs, you could squeeze in an invasion of Yugoslavia before any big stuff kicks off.

Ideology is a third factor that plays in, but it's mostly superficial. Democrats and fascists will join the Comintern if that's the only option, and vice versa.
As Habsburg A-H you can justify at 25 WT but it still takes most of a year for it to finish. I need to figure out how to join the Axis to stop WWII from starting in January of 39, because I can't get strong enough to stop Germany from declaring on me for Sudetenland.

Someone was talking about it earlier in the thread, I need to search through my old posts to see if I quoted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you can do some hacky stuff with your annexation of the czechs firing off like a day after (before?) the germans and it cancels out theirs with no war or sudeten lost. i did it once. that whole chain is super luck heavy though so you’ll likely just end up frustratef

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

As Habsburg A-H you can justify at 25 WT but it still takes most of a year for it to finish. I need to figure out how to join the Axis to stop WWII from starting in January of 39, because I can't get strong enough to stop Germany from declaring on me for Sudetenland.

Someone was talking about it earlier in the thread, I need to search through my old posts to see if I quoted it.

You could always just hand them the Sudetenland, they don't make any further demands like they normally do. The game sort of encourages you to do this, because if you do the Czech focus after Germany has demanded Sudetenland, the Czechs have 100% chance of accepting annexation into Austria-Hungary.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Lum_ posted:

Wehrmacht-SS war:

Egypt focus:

US focus:

I refuse to believe this mod will ever see the light of day. It's probably for the best.

I knew nothing about this mod until these pictures and now I've stayed up all night reading every dev diary and can't wait to play King Farouk's Big Adventure.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Zohar posted:

Idk, I don't see why putting it in HOI4 would make it worse, it's not like there's no use of HOI mechanics at all. It might not appeal to HOI4's core player base but who cares
If they intend it to span decades, that'll be a lot of pointless waiting around at speed five while AI countries shuffle bloated armies back and forth.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the practical utility of the sudetenland to austria-hungary is less than the opportunity cost of pulling off some hacky trick to hang onto it. it's just not that useful, and historical germany has bigger fish to fry.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cease to Hope posted:

the practical utility of the sudetenland to austria-hungary is less than the opportunity cost of pulling off some hacky trick to hang onto it. it's just not that useful, and historical germany has bigger fish to fry.
Yeah but, the border gore!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Yeah but, the border gore!

being annoyed at the uneven border dividing the german people puts you into the correct mindset for a hapsburg ruler after the formation of (northern) germany

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I was able to prevent Germany from attacking me as AH by just sitting a bunch of dudes on the border, then slowly switched my government to fascist and joined the Axis. I've got it on non-historical though so maybe that changes things? The big kick that let me join the axis was friending up Italy and giving them an independence guarantee, which made German feel "protective" towards me for whatever reason.

The trouble I've run into is how to actually get the AH cheevo? I need land in the Levant which shouldn't be trouble since it's just Free France and UK (at war with both), but I need land in Italy and I think a bit of Germany? How do I fight Germany now that I'm in a faction with them? Wait until literally all the allies are defeated and then declare??

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

Also yeah after doing a deep dive through the material published by the authors this mod, the people acting like it's made by Nazis are being incredibly unfair. It would be like calling philip k dick a Nazi for writing man in the high castle

Strudel Man posted:

Indeed. Even on a brief perusal it's clear that it has a much stronger "fascism is bad and does not work" message than the base game.

Oh sure, but given the HOI4 fan base based on 99% of the Steam Workshop... well, I'm going to wager the lesson will be lost on most.

I guess, points for originality for recognizing the HOI4 engine can't really do cold war-era warfare and punting, but, uh, it's definitely an odd duck.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I decided to try something different and went for Victoria III yesterday and had Historical AI off. I decided to take advantage of being Fascist and justified on Poland before I Opposed Hitler. I only took Poznan and Danzig in the war and puppeted the rest of Poland. Once Oppose Hitler triggered Poland went free and I kept Poznan and Danzig which I thought was funny. Later on, Italy and Poland ended up joining a faction together which I thought was hilarious. Japan had a civil war and Manchuria went free....and joined Poland's faction. Before I get trigger the event to bring Victoria around Italy attacked Yugoslavia and I joined in and that hosed everything up.

tl;dr: going for Victoria with Historical Focuses off was fun and I cannot wait for Man the Guns and later a-historical options for Italy and the Soviets so the game can really go off the rails.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think the lack of alternate US, UK and Soviet paths is actually a big problem when playing a-historical at the moment. Germany will never ever go oppose (if it's possible I've never seen it) but its pivotal partners can very easily derail themselves and screw over Germany big time. For example, Germany can get screwed out of its allies by Hungary going Pact of Rome. Japan can and will deadlock itself it goes Democratic or Communist, almost always remaining in a perpetual civil war for the rest of the game. Poland just loves forming its Baltic faction. UK colonies will occasionally go down the alt-history routes but won't take the necessary steps for independence, even if Fascist/Communist.

With Germany losing early (due to mis-timing its focuses or getting locked out of partners) it's basically up to the player to salvage things by playing Fascist in most alternate games. Because if you go anything else things have a tendency to lock up. This would be less bad if the major nations all had alternatives they can pivot towards.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Some of it could be fixed with alternatives inside a focus, like you only get demand Sudetenland if it's still in Czech hands. A lot more checks on what other nations did might make it very complicated but would lead to saner game play.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I've also noticed that the UK will eventually declare war on Belgium and Norway if Germany doesn't start poo poo, and the US will just sit around doing nothing if there is no fascist Germany. Though all of this will be fixed in the DLC. It's just a question of when it will come out.

I've tried some custom focus trees, but they are almost always poorly designed/balanced. Most of the Soviet mod trees are just ridiculous, and the standard-rear end soviets are already more than strong enough to take on the world single-handedly. But for some reason modders feel like they need stupidly powerful buffs. The custom German trees almost always include some weirdly specific SS poo poo and are again poorly balanced. I hope we get a communist German path eventually. I wonder how possible that would have been by 1936. The oppose Hitler path is at least plausible when you consider all the plots that were canceled at the last minute/failed.

Tahirovic posted:

Some of it could be fixed with alternatives inside a focus, like you only get demand Sudetenland if it's still in Czech hands. A lot more checks on what other nations did might make it very complicated but would lead to saner game play.

Yeah, this always bothered me a lot. Hitler shouldn't have a problem with Austria holding the Sudetenland.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MiddleOne posted:

I think the lack of alternate US, UK and Soviet paths is actually a big problem when playing a-historical at the moment.
Agreed. I had never played much with Historical AI off and I thought I was taking a break from the game but Stellaris is less playable without its upcoming DLC compared to HoI4, I dont have EU4's newest DLC and wont pay full price for them (I will never pay for Rule Brittania lol), so when the itch for a Paradox game needed to be scratched I chose this, and what you are saying is readily apparent and even more reason to look forward to Man the Guns.

I hope that when the fix the Soviets, they fix them in a big way. They are far too powerful right now and have no alternate paths. They are so strong at start and never actually suffer any negative effects from the purge and thus they can take on the whole world by the time WWII starts in earnest. I know the thread has been over it a thousand times, and that Paradox needs to balance the Soviets being a pushover compared to being too strong, but the fact that they never need Lend-Lease and just consistently steamroll the Germans by the end of '41 needs to be fixed.

Then once Spain, Greece, and the Nordic countries get unique trees plus Italy and France get better trees the game will be an amazing alt-history game. I wonder if they will ever do alternate starting states, like having the Soviets be Democratic and Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhs, and the like are all separate states, the USA is split, UK doesnt have the Dominion., ect.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 12, 2018

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

idk how you would you a leftist germany without pushing the starting date further back to either 1933 or 1934

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Dramicus posted:

I've tried some custom focus trees, but they are almost always poorly designed/balanced. Most of the Soviet mod trees are just ridiculous, and the standard-rear end soviets are already more than strong enough to take on the world single-handedly. But for some reason modders feel like they need stupidly powerful buffs. The custom German trees almost always include some weirdly specific SS poo poo and are again poorly balanced.

Road to 56 actually does a balance pass on the custom focus trees it includes (and it includes most of the better known ones). Here's its instructions for modders which seems fairly reasonable.

https://github.com/deliciousmods/1956_beta/wiki/Balance-Guide-Lines

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Davincie posted:

idk how you would you a leftist germany without pushing the starting date further back to either 1933 or 1934

The Communists that were fighting the Nazis in the streets three years before weren't *dead* yet

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Davincie posted:

I think it could fork off the Oppose Hitler Focus. While the Wehrmacht is busy fighting the Nazis, and if the Spanish civil war hasn't happened yet, you can start a Focus that makes a Communist uprising happen supported by the Communist International and consisting of the Rotfrontkämpferbund and the International Brigades that would have gone to Spain in a different timeline. You'd end up in a three way civil war similar to the one in Aprčs moi le déluge.
Afterwards your Focus tree could have choices to either join Stalin or form your own communist faction (after all, you cannot have too many Internationale) and have a focus for influencing and supporting the French Communists and in the other countries around you.
This could lead to interesting scenarios like Germany&France in a faction vs. Stalin or fascist Italy & Spain (since the Spanish Republicans wouldn't have that much support, the Spanish Civil war would be more one sided and Franco Spain more ready to join a fascist faction). If you join Stalin the rest of the world (basically Allies & whatever's left of the Axis) would unite against the ComIntern to still have some interesting challenges

BabyFur Denny fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 12, 2018

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the KPD's rank and file was never effectively destroyed by the nazis until 1944

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saefkow-Jacob-B%C3%A4stlein_Organization

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Orchestra_(espionage)

hell there even was a former KPD member that defected from the wehrmacht the night before barbarossa began. granted he was shot by the NKVD to hide the fact the soviets were forewarned of the invasion

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the KPD's rank and file was never effectively destroyed by the nazis until 1944

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saefkow-Jacob-B%C3%A4stlein_Organization

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Orchestra_(espionage)

hell there even was a former KPD member that defected from the wehrmacht the night before barbarossa began. granted he was shot by the NKVD to hide the fact the soviets were forewarned of the invasion

Oh Stalin

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Bring on Ernst Thalmann, Germany needs more morons running it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

I think the lack of alternate US, UK and Soviet paths is actually a big problem when playing a-historical at the moment. Germany will never ever go oppose (if it's possible I've never seen it) but its pivotal partners can very easily derail themselves and screw over Germany big time. For example, Germany can get screwed out of its allies by Hungary going Pact of Rome. Japan can and will deadlock itself it goes Democratic or Communist, almost always remaining in a perpetual civil war for the rest of the game. Poland just loves forming its Baltic faction. UK colonies will occasionally go down the alt-history routes but won't take the necessary steps for independence, even if Fascist/Communist.

With Germany losing early (due to mis-timing its focuses or getting locked out of partners) it's basically up to the player to salvage things by playing Fascist in most alternate games. Because if you go anything else things have a tendency to lock up. This would be less bad if the major nations all had alternatives they can pivot towards.

I've been fixing this by forcing myself to tag over to every country and pick their focuses for them. If I want to do big Comintern vs everyone game I'll make sure the Republicans win in Spain and France goes Left. If I want to do a monarchist Germany game I'll make sure Hungary goes royalist too, etc.

Davincie posted:

I think the Devs actually said they didn't include a Left path for Germany because by 1936 there's no real conceivable way for it to have occurred.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Dramicus posted:

I've also noticed that the UK will eventually declare war on Belgium and Norway if Germany doesn't start poo poo, and the US will just sit around doing nothing if there is no fascist Germany. Though all of this will be fixed in the DLC. It's just a question of when it will come out.

I had a very entertaining and difficult game as democratic Germany recently using the expert AI mod. Once I formed the central European alliance, I brought in Belgium, Netherlands, Austria, Czechoslovakia, and the Nordic countries. Then I got an event which allowed me to annex Austria, kind of like the fascist event. Finland tried to join during the winter war but I wasn't ready for war with the USSR since they had the French Commune on their side. Poland formed its own faction and Italy formed the Pact of Rome with Bulgaria, Turkey, Nationalist Spain and Hungary.

Around 1940, the UK declared war on Belgium, which was pretty amusing since the only hostility in Europe so far was Italy annexing Yugoslavia. Then the USSR invaded Poland, and just before capitulating them they declared war on me. After a year or two of me barely hanging on, Italy attacked me as well. Imperial Japan joined my faction and so I ended up at war with the Chinese United Front as well.

So now being at war with literally every faction in the game (funny how Adenauer is apparently scarier than Hitler), things were looking grim. My air force was just about wiped out and I was starting to lose ground to the Soviets. Belgium capitulated but Poland was somehow still hanging on to Warsaw. In a few months my air force would be completely useless. All I had left was a decent-enough Kriegsmarine.

Sealion it was. After getting battered in the Channel I found an opening in the east and landed some divisions there. The English army was mostly in Romania at the time trying to get at me through Czechoslovakia. Britain fell and it allowed me to annex the Allies entirely. I put all of the new factories towards fighters and started taking back the skies.

The stalemate in France was broken by a naval landing in Normandy, and the Soviet Red Army was destroyed in a massive armored pincer attack. The fight against Italy's faction was brutal but eventually they fell. The USA was about to declare war on Japan and I but just as Stalingrad fell they decided to join my faction a few weeks before the last of the wars finally ended.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

axeil posted:

I think the Devs actually said they didn't include a Left path for Germany because by 1936 there's no real conceivable way for it to have occurred.

It was a question of development resources and time. By the time the call had to be made China was six kinds of on fire and Japan was half-way done. And the design for the communist path for Germany consisted of "Something something the remnants of the left-revolutionary wing of the party go to Moscow for support".

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ArchangeI posted:

It was a question of development resources and time. By the time the call had to be made China was six kinds of on fire and Japan was half-way done. And the design for the communist path for Germany consisted of "Something something the remnants of the left-revolutionary wing of the party go to Moscow for support".

I mean, it doesn't really sound that much more implausible than Japan's, "You know all the left-wingers who got exiled? Well the fash who exiled them decide they come back now" Communist tree. But resources are resources, and I quite like the German focus tree now, 'cause it gives me more options when I play that country.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gort posted:

I mean, it doesn't really sound that much more implausible than Japan's, "You know all the left-wingers who got exiled? Well the fash who exiled them decide they come back now" Communist tree. But resources are resources, and I quite like the German focus tree now, 'cause it gives me more options when I play that country.

imo the German focus tree is probably the best in the entire game right now. Japan's is very good as well and I like how the various Chinese factions all work.

Seriously, they're all such an improvement from 1.0, it's really impressive.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
They just need to start collapsing the branches you're locked out of already. So much scrolling around!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I like the idea of the triple civil war. Wehrmacht opposes Hitler and while that's going on the Reds make their move. Don't restrict it by chance though, just make it so if you choose the communist focus while the civil war is going on, it makes Germany the international priority for the communists. So if you get the focus before the Spanish civil war breaks out, then it never really breaks out and Franco instead gets a coup and Spain is immediately willing to join factions and fight. If you choose the focus after the Spanish civil war breaks out, then you take the rug out from under the Republicans as the Comintern choose to prioritize Germany and leave the Spanish to fall to Franco.

It would be interesting if Germany could have it's own version of communism, kind of like Maoism, that is ideologically opposed to the Soviet Union. Hell, maybe let Trotsky come and take over Red Germany and we can finally have a fair throw-down between him and Stalin.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
germany had a bunch of covert left-wing resistance groups operating within it during the entire period of nazism so it should be easy to come up with a credible communist path

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

axeil posted:

That is an extremely flimsy argument considering the amount of inconceivable scenarios that they've enabled in some other focus trees.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

Dramicus posted:

It would be interesting if Germany could have it's own version of communism, kind of like Maoism, that is ideologically opposed to the Soviet Union. Hell, maybe let Trotsky come and take over Red Germany and we can finally have a fair throw-down between him and Stalin.

Literally the inverse of what happened with Lenin, except not on purpose. I love it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNHuRVXj2cw

the guys behind the not very good ww1 mod are making their own map game

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

It looks like they are using unity, if so I think it will perform even worse than hoi4.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Actually he was put through rehabilitation and records show released by 1942. We just have no further evidence of what he does after that.

e: He also wasn't a KPD member. Are you thinking of Heinz Kessler who deserted three weeks into the war and went on to become the minister of defence for the GDR?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 13, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Davincie posted:

More power to them but I get some strong East vs. West vibes from the idea of this project.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

axeil posted:

I want the Scholl siblings are advisors in my leftist Germany. There were plenty of others, you'll find most of the names on memorial plates these days.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Dramicus posted:

It looks like they are using unity, if so I think it will perform even worse than hoi4.

It's entirely possible to write a decent strategy game in Unity, it's not like you're pushing the limits of a 3D engine. Writing a decent AI in C# might be more of a challenge.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
actually using unity to make something isn't the issue

the issue is that unity's performance tends to faceplant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Gamerofthegame posted:

actually using unity to make something isn't the issue

the issue is that unity's performance tends to faceplant

This is what I meant. You could absolutely make a decent game, it will just probably be poorly optimized for hardware.

Tahirovic posted:

I want the Scholl siblings are advisors in my leftist Germany. There were plenty of others, you'll find most of the names on memorial plates these days.

After having done some reading on left-wing groups in pre-ww2 Germany, there are actually a surprising number of options and potential routes. Strasserism, National Bolshevism with Laufenberg and Niekisch . There's all kinds of interesting stuff.