Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Has anyone had their Caravan Hands apparently get high on PCP and turn on each other? Because I've just been ambushed by bandits, and while I murder them, the hands are murdering their donkeys and each other. None of them are identifying as enemies when I try to target the offenders, so I can't stop this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Since it’s not me, that sounds hilarious. If you can show it, I guess report it?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Yeah, it's definitely repeatable. Every time I reload the autosave the blood orgy begins anew.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Xotl posted:

the blood orgy begins anew.

There’s your DLC/sequel title

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Before this all ends in tears, my land of milk and honey (or dyes and amber, I guess) map seed is 25d144.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

There’s your DLC/sequel title

Agreed. Perfectly fitting.

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
I know it's not min-maxing but I really really enjoy having my DPS have a Greatsword with Quickhands, Berserk and a Noble Sword (and maybe Duelist). Move 1, kill someone with an AoE attack then hit someone else (or finish someone off) with the sidearm. So satisfying.

Also, I hired this guy (already spent the points leveling up) and fired my previous level 13 Hedge Knight with mdef***. He was at 61 mdef without a shield... Sorry buddy but it's time to go. I'm thinking of making this guy another 2handed DPS. Any suggestions?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Battle Brother posted:

S'arnt, me and the lads, well.. We have tae ask. When ye hire a brother, ken, why.. why do ye strip them naked as soon as they join the company?

Not complain'n like, it's jes'... weird, ken?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Don't forget the part where the captain takes pictures to show off to the other captains.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm on beginner/beginner and have played like 30 hours now over two companies (i restarted after reading the thread and understanding a bit better) but I still find fighting orcs and goblins really poo poo and boring.
It sort of feels like as the game goes on that's all they send you to fight and I get geared up and stuff then just get bored and quit.

I hope that new DLC adds more stuff that's at that sort of pre-crisis gearing up spot, because right now I really don't like it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Remember to fight goblins at night where their archers are less of a bother, and get some good hammer/2H users against the orcs. It's not ideal, but most fights become fun (except goblin castles, gently caress that noise) when you get better at squad composition

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tias posted:

Remember to fight goblins at night where their archers are less of a bother, and get some good hammer/2H users against the orcs. It's not ideal, but most fights become fun (except goblin castles, gently caress that noise) when you get better at squad composition

Oh yea I know what to do from people's advice in here. The fights just feel like they drag on and there's always a CHANCE I have to restart because someone dies. It's really tedious for me.

In a similar vein I'd kill for the ability to speed up fights like Regalia had and a third speed on the world map!

Taear fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 14, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Taear posted:

I have to restart because someone dies.

*Playing the game in the most tedious, boring way possible.*

This is boring and tedious!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah you should 100% start getting used to letting people die.

I occasionally hire cheap dudes to wear looted gear and draw fire while my vets lick their wounds. Many a 35 gold cripple has died so Wolfgang can rest his sword arm.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Taear posted:

I'm on beginner/beginner and have played like 30 hours now over two companies (i restarted after reading the thread and understanding a bit better) but I still find fighting orcs and goblins really poo poo and boring.
It sort of feels like as the game goes on that's all they send you to fight and I get geared up and stuff then just get bored and quit.

I hope that new DLC adds more stuff that's at that sort of pre-crisis gearing up spot, because right now I really don't like it.

Make sure you've read the guide I posted if you haven't.

For most of the early game you should be fighting a mix of things but primarily wolves and raiders. I think of orcs as more a midgame to crisis time enemy.

Taear posted:

Oh yea I know what to do from people's advice in here. The fights just feel like they drag on and there's always a CHANCE I have to restart because someone dies. It's really tedious for me.

In a similar vein I'd kill for the ability to speed up fights like Regalia had and a third speed on the world map!

I restart fights all the time when someone dies but once you get your poo poo together deaths are pretty rare (and usually only because someone gets headshotted by a random critical because I've screwed up somehow in the strategic layer).

I mean, maybe it's not for you :shrug: but there may be more to the combat that you're missing, there are a lot of semi-hidden or not-well-explained mechanics (morale, terrain modifiers, etc.) that add complexity to the combat once you understand them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Make sure you've read the guide I posted if you haven't.

For most of the early game you should be fighting a mix of things but primarily wolves and raiders. I think of orcs as more a midgame to crisis time enemy.

I restart fights all the time when someone dies but once you get your poo poo together deaths are pretty rare (and usually only because someone gets headshotted by a random critical because I've screwed up somehow in the strategic layer).

I mean, maybe it's not for you :shrug: but there may be more to the combat that you're missing, there are a lot of semi-hidden or not-well-explained mechanics (morale, terrain modifiers, etc.) that add complexity to the combat once you understand them.

I have, and yea I'm in the midgame. Everyone has mail halberks and kite shields and stuff.
But people still just randomly die. As much as the game tells you "it's okay for people to die" it's not for me. I have no problem with my guys dying early game but once they're all level 6 or so I don't paticularly want anyone to die at all. I think I'd enjoy it more if I had proper control over where they all stand rather than having to do that once the fight's begun one by one by one.

I think I'm done with the game now though. I've got to fight some (quite well equipped!) mercenaries and there's two archers in there so the enemy doesn't move and even at night the archers seem to be 100% spot on accurate. While yea, I can abandon it - it's still getting harder from now on and it feels too hard to me. It's a bit like Pillars of Eternity 1 where the difficulty didn't actually make fights easier, it just made there be fewer enemies.
Well I don't want that. I just want them to be like they are at the start again.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
If you're wanting people to tell you you're wrong to dislike the combat I don't think you'll find any takers in the thread. You're free to have whatever opinions you want on it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Taear posted:

I have, and yea I'm in the midgame. Everyone has mail halberks and kite shields and stuff.
But people still just randomly die. As much as the game tells you "it's okay for people to die" it's not for me. I have no problem with my guys dying early game but once they're all level 6 or so I don't paticularly want anyone to die at all. I think I'd enjoy it more if I had proper control over where they all stand rather than having to do that once the fight's begun one by one by one.

I think I'm done with the game now though. I've got to fight some (quite well equipped!) mercenaries and there's two archers in there so the enemy doesn't move and even at night the archers seem to be 100% spot on accurate. While yea, I can abandon it - it's still getting harder from now on and it feels too hard to me. It's a bit like Pillars of Eternity 1 where the difficulty didn't actually make fights easier, it just made there be fewer enemies.
Well I don't want that. I just want them to be like they are at the start again.

Ok couple things

If you have ranged superiority to the enemy they approach you not vice versa -- have more archers

take pathfinder on all your dudes so you can choose your terrain better

What's killing your guys? random headshots or what?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ok couple things

If you have ranged superiority to the enemy they approach you not vice versa -- have more archers

take pathfinder on all your dudes so you can choose your terrain better

What's killing your guys? random headshots or what?

They've all got pathfinder because of your guide. They've got ranged superiority, I only have a single archer this time over. One archer and 4 guys who can attack from the second row.

And a mixture of things, just getting worn down because the enemy doesn't have to come to me. If I just sit around and don't do anything they do the same.

Unzip and Attack posted:

If you're wanting people to tell you you're wrong to dislike the combat I don't think you'll find any takers in the thread. You're free to have whatever opinions you want on it.

No I'm just really loving annoyed and frustrated and wanted to rant about it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah i need to edit the guide and make sure to insert "be sure to have at least three archers" in the guide but I was holding off on major revisions until the DLC came out in case things change.

The party comp I generally use is three archers, two polearms (one of them the sergeant) in the back row; both polearms also have crossbows and quick hands

That way you have five archers and everyone always has to come to you (well except goblins).

Not having enough of a ranged backline seems to be the biggest mistake people make these days that the guide doesn't catch

what i'd suggest in your case is giving your other four backliners crossbows. They'll count as "ranged" in the opening salvo so enemies will approach. Then after a round or two switch to the polearms.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
BB can be super frustrating, yeah. The joy you get out of it comes from succeeding in spite of the frustration, but it may be that not everybody gets off on that. Nothing wrong with it.

You may consider playing on lower difficulties? Not saying you're bad at the game, but reducing the level of horseshit random deaths and money problems may make it more enjoyable for you.

Edit: oh you're already on beginner. Yeah it's as good as it's going to get. Don't know what to tell you. :shrug:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

BB can be super frustrating, yeah. The joy you get out of it comes from succeeding in spite of the frustration, but it may be that not everybody gets off on that. Nothing wrong with it.

You may consider playing on lower difficulties? Not saying you're bad at the game, but reducing the level of horseshit random deaths and money problems may make it more enjoyable for you.

Edit: oh you're already on beginner. Yeah it's as good as it's going to get. Don't know what to tell you. :shrug:

Yea, I wish that lower difficulties made it actually easier to fight rather than just editing the economy.

Yeah i need to edit the guide and make sure to insert "be sure to have at least three archers" in the guide but I was holding off on major revisions until the DLC came out in case things change.

I had 3 last time just sort of accidentally, that would make sense. I wish the game had console commands so I could just cheat this battle won and then carry on. Yea I can abandon it but it's so much money that I've spent getting up here and faffing around.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Taear posted:

People rarely die randomly in this game. Either you are putting them against an enemy way above their gear & level, or you are doing tactical mistakes that make them vulnerable. For every situation between you have perks such as rotation, rally or footwork that let you get out of hairy situations. I guess there are also cases of bandit marksmen headshotting your low-hp dudes at the back, or an orc warrior hitting 3 low hit-chance attacks in a row, but those are freak accidents. If you are regularly bleeding out troops you are either behind in strategy layer or your tactics are bad. Learn more, or watch someone good playing the game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

fspades posted:

I guess there are also cases of bandit marksmen headshotting your low-hp dudes at the back, or an orc warrior hitting 3 low hit-chance attacks in a row, but those are freak accidents.

They're really not freak accidents. As much as I can keep everyone hidden behind my other guys with shields the marksmen still occasionally smack them and bam, dead.
Or yea, you get unlucky with 3 hits or something. "Freak Accidents" are enough that I have to play the whole boring drat fight again.

I now have three bows (two shortbows and a crossbow) and they still won't move towards me. Probably because they all seem to have throwing weapons.

Taear fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 15, 2018

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Bros definitely die randomly sometimes.
My latest death was during one of my first fights in the campaign, first of second fight against Brigand Raiders. My archer companion, standing on a molehill, got hit three times in a row by a Raider throwing his javelins at him, twice in the same turn. Each one of those attacks had something like a 30% hit chance. In a tough fight early on, these are odds you just have to live with.
You also just don't have perks that would allow you to bail everyone that gets into trouble out, and you don't have a sergeant to rally bros when the Resolve system turns against you either.

You can prioritize armor purchases and give expendable bros Rotation asap, but poo poo still happens. Even late in the game you can usually see deaths coming for at least a turn in advance and react accordingly, but sometimes your greatsword bro whiffs a swing against three Orc Warriors and suffers for it. It may not be a death but it may force you to retreat the bro, and if it happens early in the battle the whole thing may turn against you.

That's okay, though. Losing good archers, two-handed candidates or a leveled sergeant really sucks especially if they take good gear with them but a company can handle having one or two rookies around at any point of the game. If I make it to the first crisis with less than 10 deaths or career-ending permanent injuries I'm okay with that.

Taear posted:

I now have three bows (two shortbows and a crossbow) and they still won't move towards me. Probably because they all seem to have throwing weapons.
Is that bad, though?
Sniping out Marksmen or Raiders with dangerous weapons while the AI stays back because it is under delusions of ranged advantage is the best case scenario most of the time.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Wizard Styles posted:

Is that bad, though?
Sniping out Marksmen or Raiders with dangerous weapons while the AI stays back because it is under delusions of ranged advantage is the best case scenario most of the time.

Yea, they're not marksmen or raiders - they're Mercenaries. They always hit. Always.
Having them snipe my crossbowman from half the map away is just too much.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Fighting enemy mercenary companies when your own archers are using shortbows means you're trying to punch above your weight.
Enemy mercenaries can spawn with absolute poo poo tier gear but they're always relatively high level enemies. They have Mastery perks and Overwhelm at least, which are high tier perks you probably don't even have access to at this point. They stay challenging for a long time, too. One of the scariest endgame crisis battles for me is one that has you start surrounded by enemy mercs.

In your situation, deaths against them aren't really random and redoing the fight isn't going to help much. Your bros are most likely just horribly outclassed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

fspades posted:

People rarely die randomly in this game. Either you are putting them against an enemy way above their gear & level, or you are doing tactical mistakes that make them vulnerable. For every situation between you have perks such as rotation, rally or footwork that let you get out of hairy situations. I guess there are also cases of bandit marksmen headshotting your low-hp dudes at the back, or an orc warrior hitting 3 low hit-chance attacks in a row, but those are freak accidents. If you are regularly bleeding out troops you are either behind in strategy layer or your tactics are bad. Learn more, or watch someone good playing the game.

This is the really crucial thing about getting your head around Battle Brothers - when you are starting out there are plenty of occasions where it looks like you are experiencing random deaths, but it's really a case of small mistakes carrying enormous risk.

If you are really stuck for ideas then you can't go wrong with a front row that just shieldwall's every turn and a back 4 with 2-hex weapons knocking chunks out of the enemy line. As you gain levels and equipment then you will be able to expand your tactics away from the super conservative line and bring out some swinging 2-handers with Iron Brows who can take a few knocks without SUDDENLY DYING.

Also (and this is really crucial), don't be afraid to nope the gently caress away from an enemy spawn that you can't take. Reputation will sort itself out. As long as you keep a buffer of food and pay you can move to the next village for contracts.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Wizard Styles posted:

Fighting enemy mercenary companies when your own archers are using shortbows means you're trying to punch above your weight.
Enemy mercenaries can spawn with absolute poo poo tier gear but they're always relatively high level enemies. They have Mastery perks and Overwhelm at least, which are high tier perks you probably don't even have access to at this point. They stay challenging for a long time, too. One of the scariest endgame crisis battles for me is one that has you start surrounded by enemy mercs.

In your situation, deaths against them aren't really random and redoing the fight isn't going to help much. Your bros are most likely just horribly outclassed.

Please read the other posts I said about the fight. I'm not outclassed - I got those bows specifically because HA said it would make the enemy move towards me. All my characters are in mail hauberks and are level 6+. I just wasn't really using archers at all.

I've just given up with the game, I don't like having to abandon contracts or not knowing if I can do something before I pick it up. And it's getting too annoying fighting things, it's not worth the payoff.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Taear posted:

Please read the other posts I said about the fight. I'm not outclassed - I got those bows specifically because HA said it would make the enemy move towards me. All my characters are in mail hauberks and are level 6+. I just wasn't really using archers at all.

I've just given up with the game, I don't like having to abandon contracts or not knowing if I can do something before I pick it up. And it's getting too annoying fighting things, it's not worth the payoff.

You're outclassed. I wouldn't even consider tangling with mercs at that stage in the game.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Mercs are a lategame enemy and you're in midgame gear and levels, they're going to wreck you regardless of your tactics.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, you're not as outclassed as I admittedly first thought when I read about shortbows but individually those mercs are still better than yours.

Depending on numbers, how good your guys are and so on you may be able to beat them; you probably are. But most likely not without losses unless you get lucky, so this is still not a fight worth fighting.

And that's just kinda what the first runs on each difficulty are like to be honest. You run into poo poo you shouldn't go up against and learn from it. So if you're not enjoying it I do think you're better off dropping the game.

Drath
Jan 4, 2018

Taear posted:

Yea, as others (Wizard Styles, Gobblecoque, vyelkin) have stated, doing mercenaries at this stage is trying to punch above your weight. Brigand Raiders which are typically what you should be battling come with Hunting Bows. Mercs on the other hand, can come equipped with Warbows or Heavy Crossbows. Taking occasional risks can spice up things but you should expect to lose men when getting into really tough battles. As mercs are regularly hired by a faction or a town, you should know that even if you manage to beat them, you'll be suffering a severe drop in Relations with the faction/settlement involved.

The game has a substantial learning curve but you can shorten it by having a look at the wiki and/or at various guides. I'd recommend going through Game and Combat Mechanics, Backgrounds and also have a brief look at the different enemy types. As contract spawned encounters scale to your party's strength, they should be largely doable for the most part, but different enemy types may require slightly different approaches and setups to improve the odds.

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

drat that sucks and i feel your frustration, hell I´m a grown-rear end man and before BB I thought getting mad at videogames was well past me.Many enemies are a real brickwall before you bloody your nose a few times learning how to handle them. Mercs are among the trickiest because they´re in many ways build as mirror of lategame BB company, light on staying power and predictability heavy on debuff perks and RNG gently caress you in conclusion theyre human goblins if not quite as bad as the real deal but with more variance. Learning curve and all, maybe if you give it a little rest and then give another go it´s still a drat great game.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'd be wary going against mercenaries even during late game. That aforementioned crisis mission that pits you against them is a huge middle finger to the player for example.

Really this game is similar to FTL or nuXcom in the way that novice players may think it is too random and unfair, but then there are people who can beat them consistently on highest difficulties.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Other people have covered most of it, but to me it sounds like you're just bullrushing head on into fights you are absolutely not ready for while ignoring all the people telling you "hey, you're not ready for that fight." Like you heard 'having ranged will make them move towards you' and took the absolute bare minimum, ignoring that you need to have more ranged power to make the AI come at you.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Taear posted:

Ok, yeah, it didn't click in my head that you were fighting mercenaries, i.e., a group of actual mercenaries, not just raiders with two archers. I fixated on the "two archers" part of your comment because that's a typical mid-game mistake people make against raiders /bandits.

The enemy mercenary groups are intended as mirror matches for high-end warbands. You sound like you're in the midgame and those are endgame. Hell, I avoid those encounters even at endgame unless I don't have a choice, they're too much work. Tigers don't hunt tigers. Go find some antelope instead.

But yeah if you're frustrated now I'd suggest taking a break till the DLC comes out. I'm doing Stardew Valley these days not this, waiting on DLC.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

ShootaBoy posted:

Other people have covered most of it, but to me it sounds like you're just bullrushing head on into fights you are absolutely not ready for while ignoring all the people telling you "hey, you're not ready for that fight." Like you heard 'having ranged will make them move towards you' and took the absolute bare minimum, ignoring that you need to have more ranged power to make the AI come at you.

Luckily! With the DLC we'll get quick-retreat and the one reason I take on fights that I know will be costly is that its too much a hassle retreating so I try to win the fight anyway.

I honestly believe that making it easier to retreat will make the game more fun and easier. (Well save scumming works too but thats just not the way I want to play the game)

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I think there are three ways to play this kind of game:
1) try to get the biggest steamroll going for as long as possible, restarting whenever you lose too much momentum.
2) just keep playing as long as possible, no matter how many brothers you lose, always trying to get back in fighting shape and turn a downward spiral around, until finally they lose all.
3) a combination of 1) and 2) with a lot of save scumming/reloading.

I think 1) is the most fun to play, but I can understand the appeal of the other playstyles as well. It's a strength of the game, but perhaps some people might pick the wrong style for themselves (i.e. they keep trying to rescue a game when they should just have restarted with the knowledge learned).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The thing is I took the advice of Wizard Styles from much earlier in the thread where he said that the payoff for missions gives you a good idea of the difficulty. I'd just finished a 3 skull mission that gave me 4.5k and this was only a one skull.
It told me to go to a barrow and get an item, but that item had been stolen by "The Lion".

If the game is going to throw stuff like that at me for a one skull mission it's just too annoying.