Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

all of california will burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Mayor Dave posted:

Happens every year, though windy season has lasted a bit longer than normal this year

yeah a major reason california is on fire so often is the high desert just east of it loves blowing insanely hot and dry 100mph winds down the mountains into the central valley and LA basin. don't know why anyone would live in a place that spews demon wind from its holes half of the year

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

the bitcoin of weed posted:

yeah a major reason california is on fire so often is the high desert just east of it loves blowing insanely hot and dry 100mph winds down the mountains into the central valley and LA basin. don't know why anyone would live in a place that spews demon wind from its holes half of the year

yeah i dont know why anyone would live with me either

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
mulholland highway pics in here

https://twitter.com/laura_nelson/status/1062042289902542848

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

drat these own

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
If I were a film producer I would buy a bunch of these properties and leave them as is, to film post apocalyptic movies there

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

twoday posted:

If I were a film producer I would buy a bunch of these properties and leave them as is, to film post apocalyptic movies there

it'd be really hard to keep grasses and stuff from growing back after the rains come so you'll have to practice wildfire burns every month.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Al! posted:

it'd be really hard to keep grasses and stuff from growing back after the rains come so you'll have to practice wildfire burns every month.

whatever, there's still plenty of old WW1 battlefields that look like the moon already, just use those

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Al! posted:

i have bad news on that whole "rain" thing

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Nebakenezzer posted:

The Rocketdyne facilities at risk are an old test stand, which hopefully are not flammable

Rocketdyne developed most of the rocket engines used by NASA, and the shuttle engines and the F-1, the most powerful engine ever made, before drying up and blowing away via mergers and downsizing in the 80s and 90s

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Susana_Field_Laboratory

So just reading this it gets more alarming, as the place had ten experimental, low power nuclear reactors without any containment structures, and, holy poo poo, America's first meltdown happened here, with a experimental reactor that used liquid sodium----

Okay, this is sounding hanford nuclear site-like, (in dumbass activity if not in scale) except right next to LA and now currently on fire

I thought America's first meltdown was in Iowa?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Agean90 posted:

i have bad news on that whole "rain" thing

itt people unfamiliar with california climate

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

the bitcoin of weed posted:

don't know why anyone would live in a place that spews demon wind from its holes half of the year

Hey, I didn't vote for him. Also it's not just half the year.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/laura_nelson/status/1062099651975774208

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
That's a lot of smoke.

Too little is known about wildfire smoke
Where There's Wildfire Smoke, There's Toxicity
Wildfires pollute much more than previously thought
Exposure to wildfire smoke in utero lowers birthweight
US wildfire smoke deaths could double by 2100

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

My name is trumpymanidius presidents of presidents look at my works and despair

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

twoday posted:

can you imagine how toxic the smoke from burning a car must be
probably worse than anybody knows :piss:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

twoday posted:

can you imagine how toxic the smoke from burning a car must be

i wonder how many teslas burned and contaminated the environment

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Glumslinger posted:

I thought America's first meltdown was in Iowa?

The sodium meltdown happened in July 1959, and the meltdown remained secret for decades. The reactor was apparently removed in the early '80s, though it didn't account for several thousand pounds of radioactive sodium.

This was a place that disposed of toxic waste by filling up barrels and then shooting them

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Hey, do we have a federal agency that manages emergencies?

That seems like a good thing that we could have.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

etalian posted:

This was pretty shocking (warning charred skeletons)

Guy who barely survived the fire finds out his neighbors didn't make it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd_AqyPaUTg

Da share zone

twoday
May 4, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

The sodium meltdown happened in July 1959, and the meltdown remained secret for decades. The reactor was apparently removed in the early '80s, though it didn't account for several thousand pounds of radioactive sodium.

This was a place that disposed of toxic waste by filling up barrels and then shooting them

nice meltdown

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

it's busy providing relief funds to the beleaguered millionaires of whitefish montana

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

oh poo poo

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Al! posted:

there will come soft rains

twoday
May 4, 2005

I've been seeing that insane conspiracy theory I mentioned earlier spreading around more and more. According to the theory, California has been chemtrailed with accelerants and then Direct Energy Weapons (giant space lasers) are igniting the fires.

https://twitter.com/Murdock_Haylock/status/1061832305893892096?s=19

https://twitter.com/meteorologist45/status/1061732587457179648?s=19

Oh yeah, clearly.

My favorite variant of this is the one which conflates it with the Q conspiracy theory, that the fires are being set by libs so that they can steal federal assistance money after the fires. In this version of the conspiracy, the Californian government is working together with the deep state to activate space lasers to burn the forests, so that the state can later steal a welfare check from the feds. Several people were tweeting to Trump about this, begging him to stop it.

To a less extreme degree than this, if you look on Twitter you can see that a lot of people are wasting a lot of time and energy pointing out who they think is to blame for this.

It's a battle for hearts and minds, and it seems that there is no shortage of heartless idiots.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

twoday posted:

I've been seeing that insane conspiracy theory I mentioned earlier spreading around more and more. According to the theory, California has been chemtrailed with accelerants and then Direct Energy Weapons (giant space lasers) are igniting the fires.
  • a region prone to wildfires has a wildfire during wildfire season
or
  • magic weapon technology

:thunk:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Also, the real cause is that PG&E is a loving shitshow that spent a decade secretly siphoning money out of their maintenance fund to pay for executive bonuses and stock dividends
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-puc-hearing-20150325-story.html

I assume SoCal Edison is equally corrupt, considering the shitshow a few years ago with the Aliso Canyon gas leak

The Glumslinger has issued a correction as of 02:02 on Nov 13, 2018

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

And Enron engineering dozens of blackouts to jack up utilities prices in the aftermath

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

The Glumslinger posted:

Also, the real cause is that PG&E is a loving shitshow that spent a decade secretly siphoning money out of their maintenance fund to pay for executive bonuses and stock dividends
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-puc-hearing-20150325-story.html

I assume SoCal Edison is equally corrupt, considering the shitshow a few years ago with the Aliso Canyon gas leak

Yeah they are and funnily enough both pg&e and socal Edison reported anomalies to the state immediately before the fires we're first reported. Both reports occurred within a mile of the recorded fire origin points.

It's audio only, but it's pretty funny and they energy companies are lobbying hard to have the state make them exempt from liability for fires caused by their infrastructure lmao

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

No, but have you heard the good news about our lord the fire tornado?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Maybe now nimbys won't be so opposed to forest management and controlled burns to prevent this from happening in the future even if it means their views are temporarily less than serene and property values are less cerhahahahah okay I almost got through it

Most of the most dangerous conditions near towns are on private land and the owners will literally never do anything about it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

twoday posted:

My favorite variant of this is the one which conflates it with the Q conspiracy theory, that the fires are being set by libs so that they can steal federal assistance money after the fires. In this version of the conspiracy, the Californian government is working together with the deep state to activate space lasers to burn the forests, so that the state can later steal a welfare check from the feds. Several people were tweeting to Trump about this, begging him to stop it.

I find this stupid because if you could just say "the Russians have been starting fires at night and then not attending to them"

or I dunno, the awful site capitalism refused to pay for cleanup and the government was like "cool!" and fire started there and now Malibu burned down

like what kinda broke-brained dumb dumbs want all their conspericies to be as laser-filled and cartoonish as a COBRA plot

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

I find this stupid because if you could just say "the Russians have been starting fires at night and then not attending to them"

or I dunno, the awful site capitalism refused to pay for cleanup and the government was like "cool!" and fire started there and now Malibu burned down

like what kinda broke-brained dumb dumbs want all their conspericies to be as laser-filled and cartoonish as a COBRA plot

The kind where the libs have to be wrong, OP

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

lol wasn't the "space laser starts fire in california" thing in a tv news segment in robocop 2

edit: nope it was in the first one

VectorSigma has issued a correction as of 03:50 on Nov 13, 2018

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slumdoge millionare posted:

The kind where the libs have to be wrong, OP

Truth

Was reading an article on the concourse, and this seems relevant:

quote:

Trump and a lot of the people in his thrall are, it seems safe to say, gone. They will continue walk among us—Trump will be in a golf cart—but they will never come back. They are somewhere else. There is nothing they are not prepared to believe if the right people say it; they will choose the right lie over any truth not just without regret but with pride.

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/this-is-all-donald-trump-has-left-1830329753

Nebakenezzer has issued a correction as of 03:52 on Nov 13, 2018

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/ABC7Chicago/status/1062173922895056897?s=19

Death toll just jumped again :(

twoday
May 4, 2005

The invisible hand of the free market is fixing it

https://twitter.com/BlissTabitha/status/1062183945456873472?s=20

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
why didn't it take notch's house

why

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

why didn't it take notch's house

why

Wrong side of the valley, his place is past the 405

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

fire's still burning so it can still happen