Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Caesar Saladin posted:

not to mention the idea of looking at the same environments and hearing the same sound effects for years and years, it seems like the realm of the insane person

My Linux Rig posted:

absolutely, those games are really dull and I can not imagine playing them more then once or twice before the novelty completely wears off

It's almost as though each game plays out differently. Do you have trouble living in the same apartment/house/city for more than 6 months at a time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

real life is different to video games, in ways such as

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sound effects are a bad example given how much they get reused in everything.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Caesar Saladin posted:

I look forward to death in one but not the other

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Caesar Saladin posted:

Seems a bit of a stupid thing to complain about for multiplayer game, but it is the unpopular video game opinions thread.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The real reason to game on a pc is to play games like Rimworld.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

CrRoMa posted:

People who play hours and hours of PUBG or counterstrike must be a bit unhinged. I play videogames to run around strange places, see unusual things, cast magic spells and just have fun. Playing videogames to exclusively shoot other human targets is lame as gently caress.

So how does it feel to get beaten at videogames by children?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a new study bible! posted:

The real reason to game on a pc is to play games like Rimworld.

rogue-likes and games of similar quality and complexity like Rimworld are the only real games worth using a computer to play.

most games are lovely alternatives to real life activities. pubg is crap why not just spend your time playing paintball in real life? why play Mario kart when you can drive a car? why play the Sims when you can go outside and make real friends? only rogue-likes and deep sims use the resource of the computer to create an experiance that cant be better substatuted in real life (unless you own a time machine or a space ship I guess)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Agreed

Why post on an online forum when you can go outside and start arguments with strangers

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Agreed

Why post on an online forum when you can go outside and start arguments with strangers

to get the same experiance of the forums I would need to poo poo in public, wearing a mask. exciting sure, but I would risk being arrested

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

ilmucche posted:

It's almost as though each game plays out differently. Do you have trouble living in the same apartment/house/city for more than 6 months at a time?

the only two ways to play them are either running out in the open and getting sniped or camping in a single spot and picking off people

the only way you can get any enjoyment out of those games is by interacting with the people who play it and just uuuugh to that

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

CrRoMa posted:

People who play hours and hours of PUBG or counterstrike must be a bit unhinged. I play videogames to run around strange places, see unusual things, cast magic spells and just have fun. Playing videogames to exclusively shoot other human targets is lame as gently caress.

I totally agree, but also have a billion hours in LoL, just because I'm quite good at it, so it's quite fun doing the mechanical actions of it, I imagine like someone who's good at a sport like darts or snooker feels, y'know? Like snooker is the loving same every single time, but being quite good at physics is just somehow satisfying, and LoL is a bit like that. I don't think I'm the same as other players I know though, because to me it's JUST like a toy, and the idea of getting angry at it is bewildering.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

My Linux Rig posted:

the only two ways to play them are either running out in the open and getting sniped or camping in a single spot and picking off people

sounds like quake 1 deathmatch. Why is battle royal apparently some new genre?

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Lol isn't simulating real life and snooker isn't simulating killing people

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

metal gear solid seems neat and fun and kind of goofy two hours in, i'm sure the microtransaction nonsense is awful but so far i'm enjoying it far more than i expected

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

CrRoMa posted:

Lol isn't simulating real life and snooker isn't simulating killing people

Oh I see, sorry I hadn't really taken in the 'mudersim' aspect of what you were saying. Yeah, I think it's the same though. I think it's a STUPID false equivalence, personally. Like, I don't play pacman and think I'm actually eating pills to eat ghosts, and there's no threat of me becoming 'more of a ghost hunter'. Likewise, I don't play counterstrike and think I'm actually murdering humans, because I'm incapable of thinking that textured polygons are the same as human babies. Maybe in the future with VR there will be enough of a similarity in approach mentally, but, I just don't think any of the mental space overlaps for normal people, and if someone was as unhinged as to be influenced by a game, it's just because they're unhinged, not because the game puts you in a murdery headspace. Like, to get a gun in real life you don't press B, 4, 2, 2, or whatever. The mental space of 'aquire gun' in CS is checking a number at the bottom right of a screen and pressing a memorized series of buttons. Even that, even getting your hands on a gun is COMPLETELY alien and unrelated. There's basically zero in common with shooting the gun, except aiming, and even that isn't actually similar. Like, nothing about playing CS informs how you would murder people with a gun, any more than reading about a murder would. I actually think LESS so, because when you read about it, you would put yourself in that circumstance, but when you play the game, you actually put yourself in a DIFFERENT circumstance that DOESN'T inform the real world equivalent.

Obviously, I might be completely wrong, and this generation is going to grow up and murder the poo poo out of each other and all of us with guns in a hurricane of blood that they're totally blaze about, I'd completely believe that's the case and I'm the weirdo as well, because man, EVERYONE on league is loving livid 24/7 and that's as close to 'the ultimate childrens toy' as I'd wager any victorian era toymaker could have imagined, so it would stand to reason that the thing that should probably fill you with adrenaline, fear, guilt and anger actually leaves them totally cool.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Rutibex posted:

sounds like quake 1 deathmatch. Why is battle royal apparently some new genre?

beats me, it really is just the slowest arena shooter

not to mention who thought the mechanic of making someone sit and spectate tell the next round was fun? it's like the most punishing poo poo I've seen in games to date

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

FoolyCharged posted:

Most shooters on consoles have an auto aim built in that will cause you to track your target if you aim in their general direction. I recently decided to pull timesplitters out for nostalgia's sake and it's really noticeable once you're aware of it.

Yeah, many do, and many have the option to turn it off. There's also the option to play shooters on PC with a pad, which still works. The statement was "the reason you can play them at all" which is dumb as hell

Destiny 2's implementation of this is the worst poo poo ever

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Destiny 2's implementation [...] is the worst poo poo ever

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gameboy tetris is still more fun than any other version of Tetris I've tried, original pac man is still better than that steam game version. I like my arcade games noncommittal and to have a limited focus and no unlocking or extra power or whatever poo poo.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

signalnoise posted:

Yeah, many do, and many have the option to turn it off. There's also the option to play shooters on PC with a pad, which still works. The statement was "the reason you can play them at all" which is dumb as hell

Destiny 2's implementation of this is the worst poo poo ever

A lot of death match games would be virtually unplayable on joypads were it not for aim assist.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

EvilGenius posted:

A lot of death match games would be virtually unplayable on joypads were it not for aim assist.

Sounds like you are just really lovely with thumbsticks because you're very wrong

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rutibex posted:

rogue-likes and games of similar quality and complexity like Rimworld are the only real games worth using a computer to play.

most games are lovely alternatives to real life activities. pubg is crap why not just spend your time playing paintball in real life? why play Mario kart when you can drive a car? why play the Sims when you can go outside and make real friends? only rogue-likes and deep sims use the resource of the computer to create an experiance that cant be better substatuted in real life (unless you own a time machine or a space ship I guess)

People play those games because it's hard for them to do those things, the Sims was insanely popular among shut-ins. And Hunter simulators are popular among psychopaths I assume

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I liked the sims because there really wasn't any other sort of game where you could build and decorate houses. The actual life simulator was secondary to building a sweet pad.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

People play those games because it's hard for them to do those things, the Sims was insanely popular among shut-ins. And Hunter simulators are popular among psychopaths I assume

Why would anyone play a driving simulator when they could just purchase a racetrack and any car they want

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Don't bother playing MGSV just go to Afghanistan IRL with a few friends and start a mercenary company and kill the uh... Russians there

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If people are only playing codfield because it's prohibitively expensive to fly to a warzone and kill brown people irl for fun then maybe that retard on the last page was right

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
got into borderlands 2 again because i found the remaster really, really cheap. its not awful and pretty fun at times, its just the first hour or so suck rear end and a bunch of the tutorials pop up way to late. the writing is mixed bag of course. the remaster seems to have fixed some of my issues when i played 2 on the xbox years back. either way at least it will be time to kill til spyro hits.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

signalnoise posted:

As if the other shotgun even exists

SHOT. GUN. WHOOOAAAA, BIG

veni veni veni posted:

*leans back, wipes another booger onto his computer chair :smug: *

lmbo

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

poverty goat posted:

If people are only playing codfield because it's prohibitively expensive to fly to a warzone and kill brown people irl for fun then maybe that retard on the last page was right

Respawning is hella expensive dude

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

E: NM skipped a page and that argument is over.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 12, 2018

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Well let's start a new argument! *turns and slaps the next person to post for no reason*

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Smash TV has yet to be surpassed by other twin stick shooter games

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Smash TV has yet to be surpassed by other twin stick shooter games

twin stick shooters are good on mobile

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

twin stick shooters aren't good. at all

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't usually care about the genre but Housemarque makes dope twin stick shooters.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

extremely hot take that i may have made before:

mobile controls can be pretty good these days, for some things.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Away all Goats posted:

twin stick shooters aren't good. at all

geometry wars is good

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The fact that there will never be a new Viva Pinata makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

food court bailiff posted:

extremely hot take that i may have made before:

mobile controls can be pretty good these days, for some things.

Oh for real? Been waiting for this for ages, got any recommendations?