Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

I like how it ended up being a Blue Wave it just took us days after the midterms to realize it

deepstate putting the fix in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Florida is a joke

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

WampaLord posted:

The 2012 post-Romney autopsy report of the party said "Wow, we really need to start attracting Hispanic voters or we are hosed!"

Then Trump happened.
this was Bush's vision for the Republican party in the fact of the nation's shifting demographics

turns out shameless racism is more powerful, even in 2018, and having a black president didn't change anything (surprise!)

Zeroisanumber posted:

So what was the cause of that weird bump on 538 that made everyone think that the GOP would gain in the House for about a half-hour on election night?

I saw it when it popped off and I was dead certain that we were in for 2016 all over again.
it was hilarious and I clicked on the thread right when it started then went out to get fajitas. everything was better when I got back.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Lawman 0 posted:

That lady is spectacularly incompetent

of course she is, Jeb! appointed her for a reason

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Spergin Morlock posted:

I just wish I wasn't surprised that Gosar won his election despite his entire family calling him a bad choice.

That's Yavapai County, home of NIMBY white people with money in the towns and weird rural people in the rest of it, with a handful of Native people with no political power! Never disappoints.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

I like how it ended up being a Blue Wave it just took us days after the midterms to realize it

I've started to realize there's actually a really good reason we don't start the new season of government until the next year, cause it takes a while for us to sort out what the gently caress we voted for

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

the blue version of hurricane Florence landing with moderate winds but just slowly flooding the whole region for many days to come

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Spergin Morlock posted:

I just wish I wasn't surprised that Gosar won his election despite his entire family calling him a bad choice.

Gosar the Destroyer

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

That's exactly the way Florida's going to disappear beneath the blue waves someday.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

That's exactly the way Florida's going to disappear beneath the blue waves someday.

inshallah

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1062167041845723136

https://twitter.com/MarthaMcSally/status/1062144676822577152

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Powered Descent posted:

make florida atlantis
vote for desantis

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

Remember when triple sulk tried to rub in his rightness despite being spectacularly wrong lol

i think i saw it but i was in the middle of having a massive PTSD flashback mental breakdown so in the end it's hard to say who got owned harder

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Thesaurus posted:

the blue version of hurricane Florence landing with moderate winds but just slowly flooding the whole region for many days to come

Accurate

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
president goodbrains hounded that binch flake out of the senate then lost the seat

https://twitter.com/JeffFlake/status/1062162823738929152

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Reclines Obesily posted:

president goodbrains hounded that binch flake out of the senate then lost the seat

:toot:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Kinda wish the golden retriever had won she looks like a good girl

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Reclines Obesily posted:

https://twitter.com/JeffFlake/status/1061102769812226048

i fukkin love decorums!!!!!!

lol

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Jeff Flake (D-AZ)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

"Take that, Trump! ...but before I go, are there any last-minute votes I can cast the way you want? I'll totally do it."

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

nooneofconsequence posted:

It seriously looks like 25,000 people in Broward just straight-up didn't vote for senator because it wasn't prominent on the ballot or something.

Yeah, they had the senate race tucked in there under the ballot instructions that no one reads and nobody objected to the ballot design when they had a chance to because :effort:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lord of Pie posted:

Yeah, they had the senate race tucked in there under the ballot instructions that no one reads and nobody objected to the ballot design when they had a chance to because :effort:

Because DWS wants the seat and believes she can beat Rick Scott in 6 years rather than win a primary against Nelson. That's my :tinfoil: line on it anyway.

Florida has a history of lovely, lovely ballot design and this is just another one they hosed up.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Lord of Pie posted:

"we can have input on the ballot? nah you must be joking, cause otherwise how could this state have such a good history of terrible ambiguity ?????"

and i can empathize with a buncha beat down people who might have to take a day off work to vote in the first place

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

FAUXTON posted:

Because DWS wants the seat and believes she can beat Rick Scott in 6 years rather than win a primary against Nelson. That's my :tinfoil: line on it anyway.

Florida has a history of lovely, lovely ballot design and this is just another one they hosed up.

that’s a super dumb take because beating incumbents is hard and Nelson is so goddamn old he probably wouldn’t run again anyway. also, nobody likes DWS.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Lastgirl posted:

Florida is a joke

i hope everyone in it dies in a hypercane

sorry lg but you shall be remembered forever, your posts shiny and chrome

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ogmius815 posted:

that’s a super dumb take because beating incumbents is hard and Nelson is so goddamn old he probably wouldn’t run again anyway. also, nobody likes DWS.

That's the reason for the last sentence - they don't design ballots very well down there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

KiteAuraan posted:

That's Yavapai County, home of NIMBY white people with money in the towns and weird rural people in the rest of it, with a handful of Native people with no political power! Never disappoints.

They're basically all living the rednecks dream, filling the natural desert with a ton of grass and giant green ranches at the cost of millions, I'm fully expecting Sheriff Joe to re-emerge there in some capacity. But they'll get theirs once water starts to dry up since their water rights are poo poo.

Really pretty though.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Rick posted:

They're basically all living the rednecks dream, filling the natural desert with a ton of grass and giant green ranches at the cost of millions, I'm fully expecting Sheriff Joe to re-emerge there in some capacity. But they'll get theirs once water starts to dry up since their water rights are poo poo.

Really pretty though.

He already lives in Fountain Hills. That town is pretty separated from the rest of the metro area.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

crazy cloud posted:

iirc it was this, specifically because as the gop won a handful of sure-thing seats early, that changed the way the model was weighting those elections from "likely gop" to "100% gop" and their fancy billion dollar algorithm had nothing written into it to update the overall model's estimates in a meaningful way as different races with different probabilities of flipping were reporting at different rates in real-time lmao. what a worthless hack nate is

This is your daily reminder that Nate has no formal stats education. No PhD, no ms, just an undergrad in econ (llol) and some sabermetrics exp.

The man couldn't build a model to save his life, and it is only because everyone else on tv was somehow worse that he rose to prominence.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

my favorite take every election is when nate silver is again the most accurate forecaster, and the response to this is again "nate is wrong and a moron"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hilarious poo poo happening out here in CA. A chudly, term-limited Republican state senator is going to get a surprise loss in his the race for a sinecure at the Board of Equalization (our extremely dead elected tax board). Check out his opponent:

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1062162534541807617

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
I like him already

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Vox Nihili posted:

Hilarious poo poo happening out here in CA. A chudly, term-limited Republican state senator is going to get a surprise loss in his the race for a sinecure at the Board of Equalization (our extremely dead elected tax board). Check out his opponent:

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1062162534541807617

Yet in 2012, a restraining order keeping him 100 feet from Garrett was granted. The comic said Schaefer was stalking him, and a justice of the peace agreed. Their conflict began when Schaefer was refused a comp to Garrett’s show at the MGM Grand in June 2012. He took umbrage and began firing off angry notes to the actor, boasting about his importance in Las Vegas.

Garrett and others asked whether they could testify by telephone at the hearing because they were afraid to be in the same room as Schaefer, according to documents filed with the state bar.

still better than a republican

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

To be clear, the Republican running was extremely bad: https://timesofsandiego.com/politics/2018/08/20/joel-anderson-accused-of-threatening-to-assault-female-lobbyist/

So hopefully the crazy old man gets his expected win

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

2012 was not that long between stalking brad garrett over some comp tickets and getting elected to public office in 2018

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

(meeting A Beatle and Rolling Stones)

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Grimoire posted:

This is your daily reminder that Nate has no formal stats education. No PhD, no ms, just an undergrad in econ (llol) and some sabermetrics exp.

The man couldn't build a model to save his life, and it is only because everyone else on tv was somehow worse that he rose to prominence.

He called every race correctly in I think 2006, which is when he broke out.

Their model this year was accurate and stable, though. So long as you weren't paying attention to the real time updates that gave me an anxiety attack.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my favorite take every election is when nate silver is again the most accurate forecaster, and the response to this is again "nate is wrong and a moron"

Yeah I think they got 95% of races called correctly lol what a bunch of morons

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Why are these walking disasters up for election at the Board of Equalization, anyway? Well, the Board was stripped of most of its duties by the legislature after it was found that a tax board with elected officials tends to be "extremely corrupt." So another body now handles 90% of that work, writing the regulations, etc. But the BoE is a required part of the state per our insane Constitution, so you can still get elected to presumably grandstand about prop 13 or whatever they do now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grimoire posted:

Their models seem to work pretty well, and every election some Ph.D. gets into fights with him about it, and he always ends up being right in the end.